• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JadeCoaster

JadeCoaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I was encouraged to start a new thread discussing how to wean very very slowly off Cymbalta by a forum member. 

I am so incredibly lucky to have a wonderful doctor who understands what this process can be like.  I saw her today, and she's encouraging me in the bead method, she prescribed me 20mg now, which is just slightly less than the dose I'm creating by removing beads from the 30mg.  She is recommending that I take each reduction for 2 full weeks at a time, and refuses to put an end date on it, however, she hopes that it will take less than 6 months to do so.

She was incredibly understanding, having had a patient weaning off of Paxil many years ago who was hospitalized several years ago for months due to the horrific withdrawal.  She filled out my FMLA paperwork with skill and insight.

My symptoms run the gambit, and at times, are so debilitating that I cannot drive or work at a computer screen.  I've already missed 2 days of work in 2 consecutive weeks, which could cost me my job, should the FMLA not be approved.  Wish me luck on that one.

Lately, it's just been some severe disorientation - I get lost going to work, can you believe that???  Some nasty physical symptoms that come and go, but the malaise has gone for now.  I got my fight back in me!

I'm not looking forward to the rest of this, but this forum and my doctor have helped me to understand that this is something that can be done, however uncomfortably.  Next step is keeping my job!

I am supplementing with Vit B complex w/ C, Vit D, Omega-3, exercise, massage, alprazolam & therapy.  I have an incredible support system as well, that I'm slowly letting in on what's going on, and I have a dog that needs me.  All of that is helping.  

I do not believe that this is an easy fix, a one size fits all type of system, but like one of my favorite authors once wrote, it's just done bird by bird.  In this case, Bead By Bead.

Good luck to you all, ahead of me and behind me in the process.  You're all an inspiration to me.  

Thank you!

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Way to go JadeCoaster

And lucky you to have a doctor who understands this whole process. That is wonderful. You can tell her that I think she is wonderful.

It doesn't matter how long it takes to get off as long as you are safe. The more I research information on this drug the more I realize how dangerous my fast taper was.

I can understand the disorientation that you have experienced as it still happens to me (29 days off). I will be carrying dishes to the sink and when I get there I don't remember why I went there and I have to figure it out by looking at what I have in my hands. Sometimes it isn't that obvious and it can take me a few minutes to figure out why or even where I was going. Rather upsetting when it happens. When I am tired, I still sometimes find it hard to spell some words and have to proofread everything before I post it.

Petting that dog of yours will help alot. I don't know what I would have done without my two Boxers. They always seem to know when I need comfort.

Keep us posted when you can to let us know how you are doing.

Take care of you

#3 JadeCoaster

JadeCoaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:17 AM

It's insane!!!!  I feel like "I should NOT be operating heavy machinery" and it's just a Ford Focus!  I have literally gotten lost more than once going to work, but when I get there, I can kinda do my job.  I even pretend to have social conversations where I have no basis for reality.  Have y'all been able to "fake it" till you "make it"??  I'm curious.

It's scary and amazing all at once.  It feeds the fight in me, I just hope that they approve it, because, ugh.  It's not the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's coming close.

I wish they'd do more science on this stuff.  So I'd have more evidence of what is really happening.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users