#31 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi Sammypuggy,

a thousand congratulations getting to where you are now.

You're quite right, it's not a good idea to break open the capsules and take them that way, because the beads ARE slow release ones, and you can damage them easily with your teeth etc.

I got that information here a few months ago - bought my own empty gelatin capsules and did a slow wean. I got down to 1 x mg before dropping completely. Still had some zaps & damned annoying tinnitus, but very tolerable compared with when I tried to drop at 10mg.

I also tried the alternate days thing, felt terrible, and found this site THANK GOODNESS.

Glad you were able to work your way around the system to get what you needed.

Lilly won't accept that there's a need for smaller doses, because no doctor would ever prescribe something which was so hard to get off.

If you're having too many problems, you CAN just take some beads - just be careful that they reach your stomach undamaged - that's the sole purpose of the capsule. I've experimented and the capsule dissolves as soon as it reaches your stomach.

Thanks for coming and sharing your story - it's good to hear all of the different ways people manage to get off this crap.

hang around ...

regards, Maureen.

#32 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

I had been taking 30 mg of cymbalta for about two years when I told my doctor I thought I might need to increase the dose. We went to 60 mg for a couple of months and after some discussion with him we decided I could try to get off Cymbalta all together (mind you I was never impressed with Cymbalta). After going to 30 mg again I started the 'every other day' trick. And after a time Itried to go a second day and then a third without it. By the third day I had nausea, brain was fogged up, ringing in my ears, and brain waves. Awful. I called the doctor and he put me on 20mg. I stay on 20 for about two weeks when I tried to come off again, with the same result.
I called my doctor and he wanted me to break the capsule, put it in a glass of juice, stir very well and then drank half one day and then drink half the next (this would mean I would taking 10 mgs a day).

I was not comfortable doing this because it states on my prescription you shouldn't break the capsule. I found a compounder in my area and had the doctor call them and they made 10 mg and 5 mg capsules.

I finally got down to 5 mg a day and then started the every other day trick. This past Sunday I stopped altogether. I did not feel the nausea or my brain fog, but I still have a terrible ringing in my ear and brain waves or zaps....whatever you want to call them.

FYI the whole process of weaing off Cymbalta started around June 3, 2009. I've called Lilly which was NOT helpful. They state these withdrawal are only in 5% of the

population coming off Cymbalta.

sammypuggy,
Welcome!
What a great story how you were able to figure this out, and even go, and have
them made into smaller doses.

We all know how many beads are in each dose, someone got it down to a science.
I can just hear them telling you that at the company! I do wonder what it will
take until they do make 10 mg, and 5 mg?

I am so glad that your off this crap, and just hope that you don''t have the withdrawls
hit you later on, as it's know to happen. I know your having some already, but some
have said that they have had other hit them too, and further down the road.

Debbie
I will continue to post here so you know how long the ringing in my ears and brain waves last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users