• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 prams

prams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

It's been 13 days of me being off Cymbalta. Previously, I had been on Cymbalta for almost 3 years. It started when I developed intense anxiety and suffered a panic attack. My world was turned upside down, and it became hard for me to even concentrate while driving. My doctor prescribed 30mg of Cymbalta and 100mg of Wellbutrin. Instantly, I felt better. I had a couple of moments where dizziness occurred if I stood still for more than a few minutes, but that later went away. My doctor told me that I may have to take Cymbalta for the rest of my life! And here I am today - 13 days Cymbalta free (I want to say clean, because getting off of the drug makes you feel like you've been taking something much more serious). My #1 piece of advice is: TAKE 2 WEEKS OFF FROM WORK. If you want to really beat this thing and get off Cymbalta once and for all, you must go all the way with it. Trust me, it works. I'm the first to admit, THIS IS NOT EASY. I had moments where I seriously thought my brain was going to explode. This is one nasty drug, but by day 8 I began to see signs that I was doing great off Cymbalta - because I felt much better. Typical symptoms are: nausea, brain zaps (a migraine x10), crying spells, body aches, flu-like symptoms, heart palpatations.
The reason why I choose to stop taking Cymbalta is because I'm trying to get pregnant and my baby doctor advised that I discontinue the use of Cymbalta because the effects to the baby could be harmful. She admitted she couldn't be 100% sure about this, but she didn't want me to take any chances. Ultimately it was my decision and I thought to myself, "I don't really need Cymbalta anymore." My life was far different from 3 years ago and the stressors that may have caused my initial panic attack are so far removed. By the way, I got off Wellbutrin 3 months prior to me getting off Cymbalta. I would suggest getting off one medication at a time.
Tips: Pick up a bottle of Tigers Balm at your local drug store. It helps tremendously with brain zaps! Rub a little bit over your temples and forehead. Place a warm towel over your head and notice the pain die down.
Make sure to have someone there to help you whenever you need it. My husband couldn't be around all the time, but when he was, he was a tremendous help. Even if its getting you a warm towel for your head or a glass of water from the kitchen. When you're feeling as bad as you do, this really goes a long way.
Bottom line, this IS beatable. I'm living proof. If you can, do it cold turkey. Don't gradually wean yourself off. Your brain will never fully adjust to what you're trying to tell it. If you go off Cymbalta for 2 days your body will know it and begin to react. But if you take a pill on day 3 it will go back to square one. You're gonna have to go through some withdrawl symptoms and that equals uncomfort. But it's worth it in the end. And again, you need 2 weeks off from work, school, activities, etc.

#2 dneaks9624

dneaks9624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:
    I came from what winners do.com and wish to continue telling my story of major withdrawals from cymbalta

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Please do not go off of cymbalta cold turkey........that makes your withdrawal affects ten times worst. People have a hard enough time, just weaning off of this terrible drug.
Also Eli Lilly states in their prescription drug manual, that stopping this drug abruptly may cause serve withdrawal affects.
It causes horrible affects no matter what you do. If you want to tell people to go cold turkey.......you need to include the information like I have done here. People are sick as hell, when withdrawaling from this drug, and cold turkey is not the proper way to go.
I am happy for you that you were able to do so, and you should consider yourself very lucky to have survived it. And not everyone has the power to take two weeks off of work to withdrawal......which goes to show you, if you needed to take that much time off of work, cold turkey is not a smart thing to do.
I withdrawaled for over six weeks, and went to work in the process. Your way may be faster, but not the brightest.
This drug is terrible, and people need to go to the emergency room if their withdrawals are that bad. Especially if you go cold turkey.........people die doing this. And I am living proof you can wean, and still get off of this drug !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users