6 replies to this topic

#1 ladybugz

ladybugz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationwashington
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta has turned against me. I am looking for help and support during the lengthy withdrawal process.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

So the last week or so I've been reacting to my Synthroid med. It amps me up like I'm on caffeine. At this point it's not a bad feeling, but I know that in time the reaction will become one of extreme panic instead of a jolt of energy. I'm going to start tapering off of it today. However, I'm concerned about leaving my body without a functioning thyroid. If I don't have that on board I can't heal properly (yet I know if I keep ingesting synthetic substances....I won't heal that way either). Are there natural ways to treat hypothyroidism (that are proven to be successful)?

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Now I'm not one to really do this and am not a doctor or nurse but I did see on a Dr Oz show things to boost your thryroid function and you can find it here:

http://www.doctoroz....hyroid-function

You really should talk to your doctor about it.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Ladybugz, it depends on just how low your natural thyroid function is. Do you know what your TSH test was?  Did they also test your T3 and T4 which are your thyroid enzymes. These three will tell you if you are suffering from primary or secondary hypothyroidism. Primary HT is when there is something wrong with the thyroid itself and therefore you do not produce enough T3 and/or T4. Secondary HT is when there is something wrong with either the pituatary and/or the hypothalmus. These two small glands release enzymes which help stimulate and control the thyroid. So be careful don't just jump in with some of these herbal meds. You need to do some research first.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Oh Yea, don't panic too much about synthroid. It is a man made version of levothyroxine which is the natural thyroid hormone you need to stabilize your thyroid. Yes synthroid is man made but is exactly chemically the same as levothyroxine.

#5 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I now believe that Cymbalta has screwed up my thyroid levels royally...

My hair has been coming out, hot and cold episodes etc. 

I am now on 14 days counting down the nasty vile evil little beads....

I will stay strong, I will get off this posion...

With the help of my God, my family, friends and the ppl here on this forum,

I am determined 2 do this...one step/bead at a time,

one day at a time.... :hug:

#6 teemi

teemi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

I suggest reading Living Well with Hypothyrodism by Mary J. Shomon. I am on Armour thyroid now after having little luck with Synthroid. Naturopaths will prescribe it, but most "regular" docs won't. It is made 100% from desiccated pig thyroid, and comes closest to reproducing what healthy thyroids do. It has not just the T4 that is all Synthroid contains, but also the T3, T1 and T2 healthy thyroids produce. Your regular doc will tell you all you need is T4, but then why do healthy thyroids produce more than that? It was regularly used to treat hypothyroidism before big pharma companies took over the world. Armour did have a quality control issue years ago, but it has been fine since then as far as I know. There is also a website for the book that will help you. Good luck!

#7 CatLover

CatLover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:09 PM

I found out I had hypothyroidism after getting of C. My levels were very high and I was put on Armour Thyroid. It is a natural thyroid made with pig thyroid. It has been working really well for me so far. My local Rite Aid has no trouble getting it. You may want to have your Dr switch you to it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users