Photo

Newbie Needs To Know: How Long Does This Last?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DogsRule

DogsRule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hello. I'm new here. I have been in cymbalta withdrawal hell for 7 weeks. I was prescribed for pain, along with norco, a year ago. Decided to stop because it wasn't helping, and I want to use as few meds as possible, I.e. stay with the ones that help.

Having taken Effexor about 15 years ago, I was aware of tapering and brain zaps. Effexor withdrawal was horrible, BUT it only lasted a week. This withdrawal will not stop. The really hideous days of zaps and sweating and nausea are over, but lingering symptoms remain: dizziness, tinnitus, and milder zaps.

I am a person who does not like to give in to pain or feeling unwell, and I did not stop my normal activities, which include volunteering at my local animal shelter, during the past weeks. But this dizziness has made me take to my bed (and look up cymbalta withdrawals On the web a LOT!)

Has anyone experienced anything similar?? Will this last another two months?? I feel miserable and defeated. Plus, a hot spell of temps in the 100's is making everything worse.

I've followed advice I could find in regards to vitamins, supplants, diet, water. I'm not sure if this helped, but I don't want to stop anything and find out!

Please! Tell me this is somewhat normal, and that these symptoms WILL cease.
Help!!

Thanks
DogsRule

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hello DogsRule I'm so sorry you are suffering so long. Seven weeks is such a long time when you are suffering. I too was given this med for pain, chronic back pain and it did not work for me either. The side effects when stopping are truly terrible when the drug didn't help you at all. Unfortunately there are some of us who have side effects much longer than others. Most people are okay after 4-6 weeks but some have side effects lasting as long as 12 weeks. I hope that you are okay by 12 weeks. For some SSNRI's like Cymbalta have long lasting side effects. I was still having side effects after 13 weeks so I gave in and have gone on a low dose of sertraline which is an SSRI antidepressant. I will not take another SSNRI drug. It truly showed that I was still having side effects as the first dose of sertraline made me feel so much better. You may need a low dose of an SSRI with a long half life to get over the side effects of the cymbalta or you could try a supplement called 5Htp which can be bought at a health food/supplement store.

#3 DogsRule

DogsRule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I cannot believe this withdrawal is still going on. In the middle of the night, and in the morning, i still get zaps!

I looked all over the web for suggestions, info, etc. and I'm very glad i found this place.

I've heard of 5Htp, read about it on many sites. I think a visit to my natural food store is in order.

I'm not sure, at this point, if this dizziness is a remnant of the cymbalta, or caused by something else. But it is annoying and frightening. Frightening because it won't go away. A trip to the doc yesterday did little--a suggestion of an antihistamine, a neti pot, etc. I think the doc and her helper were confounded by the length of this withdrawal.

So, i guess what i want is for someone to say, HEY! i experienced the exact same thing, don't worry, all will be well! And, like i said, the effexor was horrid, but it was OVER in a week. And the psychiatrist never told me anything about the withdrawal and seemed to not want to believe me. Ha! i had googled "Effexor brain" and got a zillion hits, and this was 10-15 years ago. GRRRRRRRRR.

I guess i'll keep plugging along. I go see the doc again next week, and if things are not better, I thought about asking for one prozac. i have been tempted to get the cymbalta and open a cap and take three or four beads, but i fear going backwards and gettng worse. Anyway, thanks again. I will around the site and read posts, etc and try to feel a bit better.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Dogsrule, if the dizziness is all you have right now you are doing well, very well. The dizziness lasted me about 3 weeks and I rememeber some others around 3 or 4 weeks but I don't remember any at 7 weeks. After already being at the 7 week level for God's sake don't take a few beads and see if it helps. It really could set you back a long ways. The one thing I was wondering is are you staying well hydrated. If you are even slightly dehydrated it can lengthen the whole withdrawal process but especially the dizziness. Good luck and hang in there things do get better. REALLY

#5 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

DogsRule

I have had issues with dizziness right from the start of tapering off and it continues for me now. I'm not sure what causes it but the only thing that helps me is something sweet. Now I have had Hypoglycemia all my life and I believe that since Crapalta raises blood sugar levels when you are on it then when you go off it the blood sugar levels drop back to normal. However, if you have hypoglycemia like I do then it is very hard to keep blood sugars in the normal range so the new low levels can trigger syptoms of low sugar of which dizziness is one. If you do decide to try boosting blood sugar levels when dizzy then please make sure that you have some protein with that sweet or you risk a later more severe low blood sugar drop.

I have to eat several small meals a day to keep level as I can't seem to get the balance right with the usual 3 meals a day which is odd for me as I have dealt with this most of my life and never had so much trouble before.

Something to think about anyway.

Take care

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

I agree with fishinghat - DO NOT TAKE ANY CYMBALTA

Don't mean to yell but that is just setting yourself up and I would hate for everything to start over for you.

A low dose of an SSRI with a longer half life like prozac is a better option.

#7 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

*echoes

don't take the Cymbalta!! please!!!

#8 DogsRule

DogsRule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

I just want to say how thankful i am to have found this site. I've been reading through the ARE YOU NEW HERE stuff. whoa! so much good information....so disgusting a drug!

I took a bit of a lexapro today, and amazinlgy, i walked my dogs without any dizziness. Is this even possible, that within an hour or two I would feel better?

Not so much better now, 7 hours later, but interesting.

Also, as per a couple of the articles i read, I had THE worst sweating while on the Craptala. And during this lovely withdrawal. Not so good for someone who volunteers at the local shelter--and where the temperature was 112 yesterday. Yikes!!!

Anyway, soooooo glad I found you.

#9 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hi DogsRule

Yes it is possible for the lexapro to work that quickly. I started a low dose of sertraline after being off Crapalta for 13 1/2 weeks and felt better within an hour of taking the first one. Scary to think that I was still suffering from side effects from a drug that I have taken for so long. How long it will last depends on how your body/brain uses the med. Just be careful when taking something else.

The sweating was and is horrid. I have a huge garden and have to make sure I don't get dehydrated when I am out weeding.

Take care and keep reading

#10 Angel11382

Angel11382

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

Hi just wanted to share my withdrawal experiences and hopefully get some feedback. It took me about three weeks to withdrawal. I was on 60 mg and took beads out of the capsule everyday and did the same thing with 30mg. In on day 3 of absolutely nothing and I'm crying and hating life. I can completely see a difference. I moved across the country with my bf having no friends here or job lined up and I was doing decent. It was then i decided to continue along with my new life and try it drug free. I'm suddenly homesick, cry every night missing my parents. Feeling like a 30 yr old reject because I'm the only not engaged, not married, kid free person I know. I cry when good things happen to ppl, i feeling sorry for myself. Picking fights With my bf. question is, am I DEPRESSED and need to go back on meds? Or is this me going through withdrawal and hopefully it'll get better?

#11 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hi Angel11382

All that you are experiencing is from withdrawals and perfectly normal. I found that I would cry very easily and over just about everything when I was were you are now. It does get better.

I would recommend that you try L-theanine (suntheanine) 200mg first thing in the morning with a full glass of water. It is a natural supplement, an amino acid that the brain uses to make GABA which makes you feel better and helps regulate the emotional roller coaster. It can be bought at a Health Food/Supplement store.

If you are feeling depressed right now it is from withdrawals so no worries there. If after 6 weeks off you start to feel depressed again then it is real depression and you may need an antidepressant again.

Make sure that you drink lots of water to detox your liver and do not get dehydrated. I can stress enough how important it is to drink lots of water.

Check out some of the supplements listed on this site that help and eat lots of veggies and fruits.

You will get better dear but it takes about 2 weeks to 18 days before you start to feel better.

Let us know how you are doing. We are here for you.

Take care

#12 Kris112

Kris112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi I am new here and glad I found this site!! I started taking cymbalta a couple years ago under the advice of my neurologist to help decrease my migraines. Boy I wish I hadn't!! I've tried to wean off about 3x before, unsuccessfully. I would start to get the withdrawal symptoms & just start taking it again bc I couldn't deal! Well this is my final attempt...I need to get off this stuff!! I was on 30mg...and weaned down taking a pill every other day for a week, then every 3 days for another week, week & a half. I am now on day 6 of not taking cymbalta and trying to deal with the horrid side effects. Brain zaps, nausea, vomiting, bouts of feeling out of control, snapping at people, and being irritable. This sucks! But I am determined to get off this stuff now!!! So it seems like the really bad withdrawal symptoms last a week or two, then they are still around but just not as bad?? Also, the l theanine .....can anyone share if it is helping? Also been experiencing some anxiety which I know is normal for withdrawal but its making me crazy!!! I have 2 younger kids (4 & 7) and I feel like I am constantly snapping at them!!!!!

#13 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi Kris112

You have that right about how long the withdrawals usually last.

I can tell you that I use the L-theanine and it has worked wonderfully for me.

I take 200mg first thing in the morning and when I was at my worst I took another 200mg before supper. It really works well and I could always tell when I forgot to take it as I was witchy lol. I had some anxiety at the point you are at now too and it seemed to help with that a bit too.

Everything you are feeling is normal so don't worry it will get better. With how long you were taking it you may need something to help with the anxiety for a bit. I found Lemon Balm tea to help but don't take it if you are taking an OTC sleep aid.

Let us know how you are doing, we are here for you.

Take care of you and those 2 wonderful children.

#14 lovesbooks

lovesbooks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

Thank you for sharing your stories! They are giving me strength! I share mine now in hopes I can help someone else. I was prescribed Cymbalta when I was experiencing anxiety and depression after major surgery. The doctor started me at 90mg. When he asked me how it was working I told him I couldn't tell a difference. So he increased the dosage to 120mg. I bate this drug and never felt like it helped me. I told the doctor I wanted to get off this awful drug. He told me to wean myself off 30mg at a time over many months. Two weeks ago I got down to 60mg. I have been experiencing a burning sensation in my mouth and throat since I started the weaning process. I thought it was acid reflux until my dentist suggested it may be the Cymbalta withdrawal. That's when I started researching and found this site! One person posted that they too had gone down to 60mg and how horrible the side effects were! They said how much they dreaded going from 60 to 30 and then completely off. I thought I'm already experiencing the bad side effects..why not just stop completely! So I have been Cymbalta free for one week! I not only have burning in my mouth, my whole body feels like I have a sunburn!! I am having brain zaps also and some stomach upset and terrible sweating. But I rejoice every day that i'm off this horrible drug!! I have found i have more energy and clearer thoughts! I drink tons of water and eat ice for the burning in my mouth. I am taking Omega 3 2000mg daily. I take Ibuprofen for the headaches and vitamin B 12 and B complex. I went to a Reflexologist tonight and she massaged my feet and applied some essential oils. She also suggested Rescue remedy and Bach flower along with liquid minerals from the health food store. I'm going there tomorrow to get these things. I will keep you posted how they work.

#15 Kris112

Kris112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

lady2882Nancy....thank you so much! So glad I found this site! I actually don't take anything for sleep- oddly enough I am finding myself sleeping better & more deep. Strange! I'll try the lemon balm tea to help....i am determined to do this right now...just don't want to go back on this horrible drug!

#16 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thank you for sharing your stories! They are giving me strength! I share mine now in hopes I can help someone else. I was prescribed Cymbalta when I was experiencing anxiety and depression after major surgery. The doctor started me at 90mg. When he asked me how it was working I told him I couldn't tell a difference. So he increased the dosage to 120mg. I bate this drug and never felt like it helped me. I told the doctor I wanted to get off this awful drug. He told me to wean myself off 30mg at a time over many months. Two weeks ago I got down to 60mg. I have been experiencing a burning sensation in my mouth and throat since I started the weaning process. I thought it was acid reflux until my dentist suggested it may be the Cymbalta withdrawal. That's when I started researching and found this site! One person posted that they too had gone down to 60mg and how horrible the side effects were! They said how much they dreaded going from 60 to 30 and then completely off. I thought I'm already experiencing the bad side effects..why not just stop completely! So I have been Cymbalta free for one week! I not only have burning in my mouth, my whole body feels like I have a sunburn!! I am having brain zaps also and some stomach upset and terrible sweating. But I rejoice every day that i'm off this horrible drug!! I have found i have more energy and clearer thoughts! I drink tons of water and eat ice for the burning in my mouth. I am taking Omega 3 2000mg daily. I take Ibuprofen for the headaches and vitamin B 12 and B complex. I went to a Reflexologist tonight and she massaged my feet and applied some essential oils. She also suggested Rescue remedy and Bach flower along with liquid minerals from the health food store. I'm going there tomorrow to get these things. I will keep you posted how they work.

Hi lovesbooks

I love books too.

I have heard good things about Rescue Remedy so look forward to hearing how it works for you.

You are doing all the right things so you should do just fine.

Take care

#17 Angel11382

Angel11382

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to look into that supplement. And I'm glad to know that this is just a withdrawal symptom. I'm also guessing me sleeping on the couch because I can't get comfortable in bed is also a symptom? I tapered down and completely stopped taking any amount of cymbalta 1 week ago.

#18 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi Angel

Anywhere you can be comfortable is the place sleep where ever that is as sleep seems to be hard to get when getting off this drug and is so necessary to keep the side effects under control.

One week off is good, just hang in there and you will get free of Crapalta.

Take care

#19 kimmy75

kimmy75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I'm new on here, sad to see how many suffer from this but glad to know that I'm not alone!  Going on about 3 weeks now trying to get off of 60 mg.  Very similar symptoms and I so understand the hot flashes - been upper 90's and humidity around 85% here, no ac in my apt. I picked a lovely time to quit!  I guess all I can really do is continue seeking support and bear with this, reminding myself every day that one day it WILL get better!!!  Good luck to you all, and thank you for this site!!!!

#20 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

lovesbooks, hi- the skin burning is nasty I know. aloe vera gel kept in the fridge is soothing, cool baths, and very loose clothes. any friction will aggravate it til it settles. an antihistamine helps lots in this also

#21 Angel11382

Angel11382

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

So I think it's been a month since I took my last pill of cymbalta.I weened off it pretty correctly.   The crying episodes are bad. And the feelings of self loathe.  I loved it when I moved to California. Now I hate it.  Granted I'm going through hard money times and can't find a job since I moved out to LA but I'm definitely handling it like a miserable depressed person. I was on 60 mg and it helped but I felt tired and/or woke up a lot. My dad offered to send me his 30 mg since he stopped his. Should I go back on it but maybe take 30? Does 30 even do anything? I mostly stopped because 1)afraid u could get pregnant on it. When I decide to have kids in a year or so and I figured better to go through the weening now and And 2) list my medical coverage. 

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Angel, Sorry you are having so many problems. It sounds like with your situation you sure could use a little help. Most of us on this site are "Cymbalta haters" for lack of a better term. lol It can do so much damage to your body. It is famous for liver damage and much much more. It would be a shame to go back on it again. You might check with your doctor. There is a much milder ssri called wellbutrin which has a reputation for being very effective against depression and I understand a lower risk of the nasty side effects of Cymbalta.

I wish you luck on everything and be sure and let us know how you are doing.

#23 elywill

elywill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hi everyone I m sooooooooo happy I found you guys I thought I was going insane this is my second try to get off these $#%#%#% pills I ve been on 120mg since January 2012, first attempt was a faillure I felt so physically ill that after two weeks I begged my psychiatrist to put me back to 120 mg. Now it s the second time around, for some reason this time I felt fine the first two weeks and then on the third week, all hell broke loose in my body, headaches like I ve never had, I m feeling queezy all the time, I have no energy. I just don t feel like myself!!!!

#24 elywill

elywill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

can you please describe these brain zaps as you call them

#25 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi Elywill

Yes this is like having a very severe case of the flu but lasts much longer.

How have you done the tapering off from 120mg? It sounds like you have done it too fast. It is best done very slowly.

For me Brain Zaps felt quite literally like a jolt in my head. There are others who explain them far better than I do though. They were worse when I was tired too. Drinking lots of water helps as does taking omega 3. Try to make sure you don't get overly tired.

If you have the time check out the forums as there are lots of helpful ideas and some good lists of side effects or symptoms too so that you know what to expect. It is hard but so worth it to get off this crap.

If you have any other questions just ask. We are here for you.

Take care

#26 brookevale

brookevale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

How long did it take for the burning to go away? My mouth is on fire and I have the sunburn feeling. I don't know if it is the Cymbalta withdrawal or the fact I have fluroquinolone toxicity and take neurontin/gabapentin. So sick of feeling crappy! Let me know. Thanks!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users