• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hi all!  Found your forum and so glad I did!  Started slowly tapering (- 5 beads) today after reading many posts late into the night last night.  A little background on me - I'm a 50 y/o male.  Been on various anti-depressants and other mood altering prescription drugs since 2000 (Welbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox, Seroquel, Ambien, and now (since 2009) I'm taking Cymbalta in am and Remeron (Mirtazapine) in pm for sleep.  Additionally, Cardio doc got me hooked on Xanax for anxiety in 2000 as well.  In 2003 after a severe depressive episode, I was able to get off Xanax after an in-patient, dual-diagnosis stay at a well-known clinic in Houston.  Continued on the anti-depressant cocktails rollercoaster along with an increasing appetite for alcohol and self-destruction until I hit bottom in 2009 and checked myself into a rehab clinic in Santa Barbara, CA..  Rehab Clinic psych-doc took me off the Lexapro/Luvox/Seroquel cocktail and put me on 90mg of Cymbalta.  I will admit, Cymbalta seemed a lifesaver at that point.  I could feel again!  I had energy and clear thoughts!  It was exactly what I needed at that point.  Regular psych-doc reduced dosage to 60mg and added 15mg Remeron (Mirtazapine) for sleep aid, and also put me on Abilify.  Abilify nearly killed me, causing all sorts of side-effects, including pacing, repetitive thoughts and actions, racing thoughts and sleeplessness!  STAY AWAY FROM ABILIFY!  I was only on it for a couple of months, but suffered permanent effects as a result.  Two years of sobriety and clear thinking were then followed by a resumption of occasional alcohol use, but THAT monkey was off my back.  Now, my sights are set on getting off of Cymbalta and Mirtazapine.  Cymbalta first, so I can still get some sleep during the weaning process (hopefully!). 

I hope to post here regularly to track my progress and receive support and information on the best ways to deal with purging my system from this drug.  I've read the posts from many very strong people on these boards and hope my experience is less debilitating than the worst posted here, but time will tell.  It always does.

#2 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello and welcome,

I also was on both remeron and Cymbalta, remeron since 2007 and Cymbalta since 2009...I got off remeron in june 2013 and started weaning Cymbalta about a week and a half ago, taking out 25 beads tonight...I am fairly new here so I can't help much BUT I can tell you that you are right in starting to wean Cymbalta before remeron, I really wish I would have done it that way, since my worst problem since quitting remeron is the sleep...I used to sleep so good on remeron, sometimes I wonder if I should start taking 5 mg a day again just to sleep well while I wean Cymbalta...just a tiny bit still makes me sleep a full night, while now I keep waking up every other hour :(

Good luck in your journey and keep us posted !

#3 Jazzy

Jazzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am starting to wean off Cymbalta after 10+ years.
    I came here to learn how.
    I'm going to do the Hokey Pokey
    and turn myself around. 😊

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hi.     I'm also weaning off of Cymbalta after taking it for several years, and other antidepressants prior to Cymbalta.  About 10+ yrs of some kind of antidepressant.   But since my doctor has no common sense and recommended that I quit by going every other day for two weeks then stop, I had to find a better way.  I found this website.   So I'm removing 10 beads per day for a week, then 20 for a week, etc.     I am now on Day 8.  All has been very, very well.   I have had zero side affects.  I'm taking supplements that were recommended here:  B-Complex, L-Theanine (Suntheanine), Flax Oil, Multi-Vitamin, Biotin, Vitamin C, drink lots of water.  

Best of luck to you Sir!

#4 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

So, I'm on Day 10 of my Taper Plan, removing 5 more beads each day from a 60mg/day dose.  Assuming 200 beads per capsule, that puts me at 150 beads, or 45mg, or 75% of my normal dose.  I'm also taking l-Theanine, flaxseed oil and a daily multi-vitamin high in B-Complex.  So far, my withdrawal symptoms have been mild, consisting of a slight light-headedness and a little intestinal discomfort.  I plan to continue reducing my daily dose by 5 more beads every day until I get to the final 10 beads.  At that point, in order to hopefully provide a soft landing, I'll remove one bead and stay at that dose for 5 days at each level, e.g. 10 beads for 5 days, 9 beads for 5 days, etc....Depending on the number and severity of any withdrawal symptoms, I may accelerate the final reduction, but that's my plan at this point.  So far, so good!  After I'm off the Cymbalta, I'll tackle the other drug, which is Remeron/Mirtazapine.  I'll keep posting to this board on my progress.  Thanks to all for all of the good information on this site!

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

h2oinCa, man that sounds like a great plan to me!! Smooth sailing to you.

#6 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

fishinghat - I created a spreadsheet that tracks each day's dose of crapalta, plus each supplement I take and a place to note symptoms in order to maintain a record and to remind me of how many beads to remove in the event I forget from one day to the next.  I'm so thankful I found this site which gave me the information and impetus I needed to try to get off this poison.  I want MY life back!

#7 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Update - So, today is Day 15 of my Crapalta Taper Program.  So far, so good.  I have reduced my 60 mg/day dose by 5 additional beads each day.  If avg. 60 mg capsule contains 200 beads, then today's dose was 37.5 mg.  I'm also supplementing with flaxseed oil (4x1000mg per day), L-Theanine (3x100mg per day) and a high-quality multivitamin based on information obtained on this site.  I've experienced mild withdrawal symptoms so far, such as intestinal discomfort, light-headedness, some lethargy.  Although there have been no serious side effects yet, I realize I have quite a way to go.  My mood has actually improved, and my cognitive abilities seem to be clearer than at the higher dose.  When I hit the 10 mg mark, I plan to slow down my 5 beads/day taper to removing 1 bead every 4th day, which I hope will provide a soft landing at the end.  Based on the current schedule, my first day with ZERO Crapalta will be Oct. 26.  I'm hopeful I'll be one of the lucky ones whose withdrawal is relatively pain free, but time will tell.  It always does...Thank you all for the vital information you've provided!

#8 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Way to go !!!

that is great, I have 575 beads in my 60 mg capsules and after about 24 days I am stuck at 48 beads, which is about (55.5mg)...I am also lethargic, no energy, but I sleep well, just need to go really slow because I am very sensitive, but you seem to be on the right path :)

#9 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Update - Yesterday I hit the half-way (in dosage) mark! I took 30mg of my usual 60mg dose after tapering in 5 beads/day increments (60mg=200 beads).  So far, I've had fairly mild reactions to the reduction of the poison.  Mostly, I just feel a little light-headed and off-kilter, if that makes any sense.  Also I'm told I've had some increased irritability issues with my wife (more than usual...lol!).  I think I've been going through the easy part so far.  The next 30mg reduction will be the test.  Once I get down to the final 10 beads, which I calculate to be about 3mg, I plan to slow down the taper to one bead every four days or so depending on how I feel.  If I'm able to stay on my plan, I should take my last tiny dose on October 25! 

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

You got this made h2oinCA!!!

#11 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thanks, fishinghat!  I appreciate the support!  I posted on your update regarding Abilify....it was "No bueno" for me, but I hope it does the trick for you!

#12 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

H2oca let us know how you doing. I hope you all the best! Are u taking the supplements?

#13 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ape - Yes, I'm taking a multivitamin (One-A-Day for Men >50), flaxseed oil capsules (4x1000mg/day), L-Theanine (4x100mg/day). I've cut back on sugar loaded foods (ice cream, sodas, etc.) as I seem to feel an uncomfortable sustained sugar rush for several days if I have too much sugar.  So far, so good.  Logically, I think the easiest part is behind me, and now I'll begin the uphill climb to get off the remaining Crapalta.  I seem to be feeling some anxiety, on edge, etc.... as my brain is craving what I'm withholding.  Time will tell.....it always does!

#14 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Jazz let us know how you doing too? I will need all your suggestion when my psychiatrist will say that i can start

#15 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Okay, so I'm at Day 25 of my Crapalta Taper Program....Relatively smooth sailing so far.  Today I took 37.5% of my prescribed dose, or 22.5mg (reducing 1.5mg per day).  Mostly minor withdrawal symptoms so far, although I am fortunate that I'm not currently working, as that would add significant stresses to my life and schedule.  Yesterday, I experienced an episode of severe indecisiveness over what to have for lunch, which is extremely unusual for me.  I stood by my front door for what seemed like an eternity trying to figure out what I wanted for lunch.  Then, after I started my vehicle, I did the same thing for maybe another 5 minutes before just going to the closest fast food joint.  It was a really strange feeling of almost helplessness, not being able to make such a simple choice!  I hope this is not an indication of what is to come as I continue to reduce the poison in my system, but time will tell....it ALWAYS does! 

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

It will not be the last time but it shouldn't get worse. Indecisiveness, confusion and feeling not being sure of anything was common with me at that time. Hang in there. You are doing great.

#17 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Today is Day 35 of my Taper Program...27 days to go if I stick to my plan. I took 25 beads out of approx. 200 beads normal dose (60mg).  Feeling a bit disoriented and dizzy most days with occasional intestinal dismay, but these effects don't hamper my activities.  Moods are fairly stable, although I have found that I have little patience with other people and can be driven into anger and near rage when provoked. I'm hoping that's a withdrawal symptom and not a facet of my personality that has been suppressed for the last 13 years while on various anti-depressants (nearly 5 years on Crapalta). When I'm left to my own devices, I seem to be pretty stable. Have had a few periods of very mild depression, or maybe just sadness.  It's starting to feel like the mood dampening effects are being reduced, both ups and downs, which I guess is to be expected when the mood dampener is removed. I'm scheduled to see my PDoc several days after I've completed my taper if I'm able to stick to my plan. It will be interesting to get his reaction to my successful cessation of this poison. In a nutshell, so far so good! I'm very thankful for the information on this site and the support from site members.  I'll keep updating every week or so or as events happen and I need or can give support.  THANKS!

#18 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

The temper is definitely due to cymbolta I felt the same way at work and I used to be a very tolerant person. I am at minus 20 but I stay At this dosage for more than a week than I ll increase five more beds. I notice that each time I decrease I have more bowel movement and I have no patient

#19 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Today is DAY 45 of my Taper Program. Once I got 10 beads remaining, I stayed there for 4 days, then 3 days at 8 beads. I dropped from taking 8 beads to 6 beads today. Withdrawal symptoms are either ramping up or I'm coming down with the flu...aches, pains, light-headedness.  Irritability is increasing, with fits of rage for minor transgressions. I may need to temporarily increase my dosage to relieve some of these symptoms, but I really wanted to be completely off this CRAP before I see my psychdoc on Oct. 24.  This really sucks! 

For others out there contemplating a taper program, I've discovered that as I've tapered, I've had increased sensitivity and adverse reactions to excess caffeine (more than one caffeinated drink per day), sugar/ice and cream.  Anger and rage only seem to be an issue when others are around...Just like recovery from drugs or alcohol, you need to take it one day at a time.....

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Makes sense. Sugar and caffeine are stimulants. I suffer from anxiety and one of the first things I learned is no sugar or caffiene. Luckily I don't like coffee or sugar!! lol 

#21 Bowdoctor

Bowdoctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Do not ask me why,,,, but my Doctor put me up to 60mg twice daily...  OMG  120mg per day??????  I have been on this for about 3-4 months....

I feel so sleepy and just out of it.... no energy and my sex drive is 100% gone...YUCK

I started today 10-07-2013 taking 10 beads out of each cap, so that is 20 beads per day.  I will try this for 2 weeks and then take 10 more from each cap for another 2 weeks,

Does this sound OK to you people?

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

20 is a little high for most people but some tolerate it. Just my own opinion, I would start with a slower drop of 5 beads a day. You need to be aware that the half life of Cymbalta is 12 hours so waiting 2 weeks for the next drop is unnecessary. That is why most recommend a small drop (eg 5 beads) but more often (every day or two). In either case it the withdrawal gets too much you can go back up one step and wait a few days to recover. Then you can go back to dropping dose again. 

Hang in there and which ever method you choose, be sure to keep us informed. Good luck!!

#23 Bowdoctor

Bowdoctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

So maybe starting with 3 less beads in each tablet, that will give me 6 less per day.  Then in 2 days drop another 6 beads per day, total of 12 less per day for 2 days and so on.... right?

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

Perfect!! If you do that for a week with no significant withdrawal then you can try removing say 4 or 5 beads each time. Some people can handle that and some can't. You just have to tweek it up and down a little bit til you find your comfort zone. Now the bead method doesn't guarentee you won't have ANY withdrawal but certainlylimits it and provides you some control.  Good luck and let us know if you need anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users