• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ab1978

ab1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

I told my psychiatrist that I do not want to take cymbalta anymore. He prescribed me 10mg zoloft in place of 60mg of cymbalta. Is that right? I have been reading up on withdrawal symptoms and wheening off of cymbalta and quite frankly I am scared. I went to him for help with anxiety and I was looking for a pen for my irritability before and after my menstrual and he put me on cymbalta. I have never been suicidal or felt so terrible in my life. 

My question is...Is it ok that he changed my prescription from 60mg of cymbalta to 10mg of zoloft.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

That is a typical change except the dose of Zoloft is a little light. Mostly I have seen 20 mg of Zoloft. But if that isn't enough to cover your symptoms he can always kick it up some. The transition usually goes pretty smooth but every once in a while someone has a situation where the new ssri (Zoloft) doesn't work for them but that is fairly rare.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi ab1978

Crapalta (cymbalta) was not a good drug for me either. I became terribly depressed while on it.

As fishinghat says 10 mg zoloft is a bit light but is a good dose for while tapering Ie 30mg Cymbalta with 10mg Zoloft.

You may need to up the dose of Zoloft once you are completely off cymbalta.

I took 25mg generic Zoloft and it worked great for the anxiety but then I was already completely off cymbalta for 2 months.

Take care

#4 getbacktoactive

getbacktoactive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

When I started weaning from the Cymbalta, I was started on a low dose of Lexapro. When I was completely off the Cymbalta, I had an upswing in my depression and suicidal thoughts, and I definitely needed a little bit of a higher dose to manage the depression. Just be aware in case you need an adjustment so you can say safe.

#5 ab1978

ab1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

My psychiatrist took me off cymabalta completely. no weaning. just switched me to 10mg zoloft.

#6 ab1978

ab1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

yes getbacktoactive...I am super depressed and think about death everyday...do not have a plan but have methods and think about it a lot. I am trying SO hard to not think that way...I have NEVER felt like this...I am not sure that I should have been taken off cymbalta cold turkey...

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

If you are having suicidal thoughts like that maybe you should go in and get a light dose of say Prozac or Zoloft to help you through. Once the withdrawal is over you can come off the Prozac/Zoloft. There is no sense in taking a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users