• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rndawn68

rndawn68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

I've been on 60mg of cymbalta for years and about a month ago my pcp increased it to 90mg. I told her my migraines and panic attacks were getting unbearable. Last week, she told me to stop the cymbalta and put me on buspar 10mg twice a day. I felt fine until day 3. I have every symptom read on here of withdrawal. I'm miserable. I took 30mg of cymbalta this am and for the heck of it took another this afternoon. I want off this crap! Has anyone had experience with switching to buspar? I'm going to start weaning but unclear of the best way. My pcp isn't returning my calls either. I've had to leave work early the last 2 days and this isn't acceptable. Any advice please!

#2 rndawn68

rndawn68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

And I don't know if I should be back on 90mg and then start the bead decrease...

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

From Cymbalta to buspar!! Now there is a change. Cymbalta is one of the strongest ssri/snri and buspar is a very week anxiolytic drug. Basically you went cold turkey!! Terrible advice from a doctor. To answer your question, yes, go back to 90 on Cymbalta (off the buspar) and start weaning from there. Once off the Cymbalta there is nothing wrong with going back on the buspar. It is not so much for agitation, panic, etc but does give one a happier more positive attitude (at least that is my experience).

By the way welcome to the site mdawn68.

#4 rndawn68

rndawn68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks fishinghat for the advice. I'm as so frustrated with my doc right now. The last 2 days have been pure hell!! I know that my panics and agitation need meds but at this point I'd rather be on nothing and just take as needed xanax or something... I'm a little against taking 90 again this am as I don't want that poison in me but I guess I have to... I appreciate knowing that there's others out there that know what I'm going through.

#5 rndawn68

rndawn68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Oh I forgot to ask, once back on 90, how long before starting the weaning ? And by just 5 beads?

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Your body will tell you when you are ready. Once stabilized, which should only be a couple days, then tou can start decreasing by 3 beads a day. Now there is a lot of variation on how many beads to take out but the standard is to remove 5 to begin with. If after a week you don't have any problems increase it to say 7 if you are starting to have problems drop down to 3 beads at a time. Just listen to your body. Remember when you get down to around 10 to 20 beads left, then drop 1 bead a day.Hang in there you can do this.

#7 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    To feel I'm not alone in this hell of antidepressants. Seeing others are having the same symptoms helps me to make it through each day. Hopefully my story will in turn help someone else.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

I completely agree with fishinghat. I learned the hard way that my doctor wasn't knowledgeable about Cymbalta and ended up causing me more trouble than was needed. Doctors aren't always right. I established myself with a new doctor after my primary doctor told me to double my dose and then a couple of days later she told me to stop cold turkey for a week. Idiot in my opinion. 

I definitely think you should decrease slowly. I was already messed up and had started taking a low dose of Prozac. It has helped quite a bit. Good luck and welcome to the site. 

#8 rndawn68

rndawn68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

I opened a capsule last night and there is well over a hundred... now that caused me more anxiety. So I take 3 -30mg capsules so this means I only decrease one capsule until its gone then the second and so forth right? Its pretty pathetic that I'm an rn and feel totally lost and stupid about this. Trying to see patients today and I am in a terrible place/ state myself. .ugh

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yes, you need to do one capsule at a time and once it is gone start on the next one. Don't feel bad. The cymbalta causes poor short term memory, insecurity, hard to make clear decisioms. You just need to relize it is the medicine not you. Once you are off this crap your cognitive skills will return.This takes a while so don't panic. Just take your time and be patient. Hang in therer.

#10 rndawn68

rndawn68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I am glad to have discovered this site . Its a huge blessing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users