Photo

So Far It's Been Worth Going Cold Turkey--Kicking It!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brookevale

brookevale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

I was on 60 mg. Cymbalta for a little over three months. Needless to say, the withdrawal has felt worse than coming off opiates, which I have experienced. I weaned for a few weeks to 30 mg, then went cold turkey 5 days ago. I planned my "detox", even sending my 2-year-old to my sister in law's as my husband had to work and told my 16 year old to plan on getting rides to work.

Here was my detox regimen: I pretty much spent all 5 days in bed. It was awful. I drank a ton of water and some salty broth, watched stupid movies, avoided caffeine and sugar, took Zofran in the morning and Phenergan at night for the nausea/dizziness, and popped a sliver each day of Lexapro I had prior to the Cymbalta (and I mean a sliver--probably 2.5 mg). Today, the dizziness subsided enough so I went to the YMCA and exercised a little to get this crap out of my system. I plan on doing the same tomorrow and the next day (I have a rare pancreatic/biliary disorder, so I am disabled and don't work). I still have brain zaps, fatigue, nausea, anxiety, screaming ringing in my ears, and cried today for the first time in months. But, I am grateful to be done with this poison once and for all! I don't care if I get slammed again with bed-ridden symptoms. I refuse to ever take this again!

My primary care doctor thought it would be a great idea to try me on Cymbalta for my severe small fiber neuropathy. Well, it backfired. Not only did it do NOTHING for the pain, it made me psychologically and physically addicted. This drug should be a controlled substance. Funny how my doctor had a continually plentiful supply of samples from the pharmaceutical reps. Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz Wicked Witch of the West, "Better to get you hooked on my dear..."

#2 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

:hug:

#3 brookevale

brookevale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

Wishing you the best too, Newbie. I woke up drenched in sweat (hadn't had this yet), increased vertigo, and a bit weepy. I know this will get better. Like Winston Churchill said, "If you are going through hell, keep going." Well, that is my motto with this Cymbalta withdrawal!!!

#4 OverIt

OverIt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    So that instead of trying to do it "my way" I am able to gain insight and support from others who have been there. And to support those struggling like me.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Brain fog and feeling oversensitive to everything.  But looking forward to a life without Cymbalta!

#5 martij715

martij715

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

I am quitting cold turkey as well. The Cymbalta completely stopped working for me and I was beginning to spiral back down into depression. The worst side effects for me was that it made me completely numb to all feelings, good, bad, angry, mad.... there were things happening in my life that I should have had SOME emotion about but instead I was completely numb to all feelings and emotions. Plus the sexual dysfunction it caused for me was and still is putting a strain on my marriage. I have been off the Cymbalta for 4 days now. The psych dr changed me to 75mg Wellbutrin 2x daily and kicked up my Abilify from 2mg 1x daily to 2mg 2x daily. It is my belief that these 2 meds have helped mitigate the withdrawal side effects I had the last time I quit over a year ago. When I quit Pristiq cold turkey it caused the same withdrawal symptoms, I guess they are the same class of medicine. 

Currently the only WD symptoms I am having are:

Vertigo

Dizziness

Slow Thought Process

Forgetting how to spell and type simple words, this post would be a nightmare of misspellings if not for spell check

Ringing in ears/heightened startle effect to sounds/sensitivity to sounds.......they are all grating on my last nerve

Wide Spread body pain

Weepy and will cry @ nothing

Lack of attention span

Still a feeling of numbness toward normal emotions

Numbness/tingling in hands

Lethargic

The one thing I am NOT having this time around are those horrid "brain zaps"  I am taking several different supplements:

High dose of Vit B3 (over 1,000 mg) which is suppose to help w/depression

Omega 3 with DHA and EPA 1,000mg total daily

DHEA 7.5mg AM 

Maca Root 1,500 mg daily

Magnesium 500 mg pm

Selenium 200 mg pm

Armour Thyroid Med 45 mg daily (just recently diagnosed as hypothyroid)

Benadryl, through some mechanism helps with the WD symptoms

This is all I can think to say for now. I just know that I am happy for people who use this med and have success. BUT, for those of us who get put on it and it don't work and then have to quit or change to another AD is pure hell on the body and mind both. I am so glad my hubby found this forum for me. It has been a tremendous source of info and support for me over the last few days. I log on and read every day.  If anybody ever creates a class action lawsuit against the makers of the AD........I will happily join the parade and add my voice .

Have the best day ever! And keep trying B) 

Marti~ 

#6 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I am quitting cold turkey as well. The Cymbalta completely stopped working for me and I was beginning to spiral back down into depression. The worst side effects for me was that it made me completely numb to all feelings, good, bad, angry, mad.... there were things happening in my life that I should have had SOME emotion about but instead I was completely numb to all feelings and emotions. Plus the sexual dysfunction it caused for me was and still is putting a strain on my marriage. I have been off the Cymbalta for 4 days now. The psych dr changed me to 75mg Wellbutrin 2x daily and kicked up my Abilify from 2mg 1x daily to 2mg 2x daily. It is my belief that these 2 meds have helped mitigate the withdrawal side effects I had the last time I quit over a year ago. When I quit Pristiq cold turkey it caused the same withdrawal symptoms, I guess they are the same class of medicine. 

Currently the only WD symptoms I am having are:

Vertigo

Dizziness

Slow Thought Process

Forgetting how to spell and type simple words, this post would be a nightmare of misspellings if not for spell check

Ringing in ears/heightened startle effect to sounds/sensitivity to sounds.......they are all grating on my last nerve

Wide Spread body pain

Weepy and will cry @ nothing

Lack of attention span

Still a feeling of numbness toward normal emotions

Numbness/tingling in hands

Lethargic

The one thing I am NOT having this time around are those horrid "brain zaps"  I am taking several different supplements:

High dose of Vit B3 (over 1,000 mg) which is suppose to help w/depression

Omega 3 with DHA and EPA 1,000mg total daily

DHEA 7.5mg AM 

Maca Root 1,500 mg daily

Magnesium 500 mg pm

Selenium 200 mg pm

Armour Thyroid Med 45 mg daily (just recently diagnosed as hypothyroid)

Benadryl, through some mechanism helps with the WD symptoms

This is all I can think to say for now. I just know that I am happy for people who use this med and have success. BUT, for those of us who get put on it and it don't work and then have to quit or change to another AD is pure hell on the body and mind both. I am so glad my hubby found this forum for me. It has been a tremendous source of info and support for me over the last few days. I log on and read every day.  If anybody ever creates a class action lawsuit against the makers of the AD........I will happily join the parade and add my voice .

Have the best day ever! And keep trying B)

Marti~ 

Marti just wonder how you may be doing?  :hug:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users