• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikkyxo

Nikkyxo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

I started on 30 mg/day for Fibro, I stayed on that for 2 months and just uped the dose to 60mg/day ("ideal" dose to treat Fibro) for almost 3 weeks now. The side effects for the very first week starting the meds were horrible but those quickly subsided and the unexpected benefits with easing my anxiety disorder were a god send. I did notice sexual side effects, mostly just an inability to orgasm but have read that those get better after time. Since starting the higher dose I have had the worst concentration problems, I take Ritalin for Adult ADD but this has almost no effect now when taken in combination with the Cymbalta. Not to mention I do not feel that it does anything for the Fibro pain (which is in fact not severe but my Dr. wanted me to try this medication in order to get a more accurate diagnosis on what has been going on lately). I do not want to stay on a medication that I do not need but am more scared of stopiing and having my anxiety return. Although I do not suffer from panic attacks I do have an overwhelming physically and mentally debilitating response to stress' in my daily life. It almost consumes me and in a way it is a panic, as in I need to do something now to stop (insert whatever stress) from happeing in that moment even if the stresfull event is a month away. I would like to drop down to 30mg a day since that took just enough of the edge off for me that I wasn't consumed with the anxiety. After reading about all of the negative effects of the drug I am hesitant to stay on it and certainly would not be able to deal with initial side effects I felt long term (Sexual side effects). I took 10 beads out of my capsule today and figured I would do the same tommorrow and step down 10 more the day after that and repeat this 2 day step until I am back at the 30mg and can then decide how to proceed. I did notice that I missed a dose this past weekend and was an emotional mess over a small incident. I have read that SSRI's block emotions and you would feel much more intensely about them had you not been on them but not sure if this can happen after just 1 missed dose. I am actually enjoying that part of this medication because I am an overly sensitive person in general. Does anyone on this site have the goal of just lowering their dose and staying on it or is everyone here just trying to get off altogther? I am also curious about the ADD thing, anyone else notice that their Ritalin (Or any other ADD med Etc.) have less of an effect when taken with Cymbalta? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, since I have been on it for alot less time than most people here, will I have these horrible withdrawl symptoms as well? I don't really fear the now because like I have stated I am thinking about staying on a lower dose but I fear the future if I had to discontinue at some point I do not want to suddenly feel like a different person that who I was while taking the medicine. Especially because I have started a new relationship after starting this and he has not been subjected to my anxiety. I do not want to someday be a different person that he cannot deal with. I know there is always the possibility of switching anxiety medications but I was hesitant to start one in the first place so I almost feel a loyalty to this one since it did wonders for me. Any and all help would be appreciated!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

The idea of backing off 10 beads a day until you get back to 30 mg should work real well. I do warn you that the sexual side effect from an ssri like cymbalta can be PERMANENT. Check out the term 'Post ssri Sexual Dysfunction." I can personally attest to it (unluckily).

Welcome to the site and best wishes on efforts.

#3 Nikkyxo

Nikkyxo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

The idea of backing off 10 beads a day until you get back to 30 mg should work real well. I do warn you that the sexual side effect from an ssri like cymbalta can be PERMANENT. Check out the term 'Post ssri Sexual Dysfunction." I can personally attest to it (unluckily).

Welcome to the site and best wishes on efforts.

Thank you for the information! I was NEVER informed of this as a potential outcome of taking a drug like this. I wish patients were more educated on their options and potential risk/effects before being perscribed something by their doctor.

#4 Nikkyxo

Nikkyxo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Update!!

So Far I am down 55 beads a few times I have taken my dose later than usual and once I forgot to take it and skipped a day. So far the headaches have been a persistent issue but these "Brain Zaps" people have talked about have been more like body shocks for me and this has been a side effect only when I am taking the pill later than usual or the one day where I missed my dose. It is actually more saddening than physically annoying for me, the fact that my body has become dependent on this in such a little time frame and physically responds to the lack of the drug is a hard fact to accept. I truly thought I could "walk away" from this cold turkey but am glad that I have followed with the advice gotten from this site. I have not discussed what I am doing with my Dr. as of yet but will need a refil in just a few days. I think because I take this for Fibro I shouldn't get scolded to harshly by him and how can he keep me on this dose when I have already decreassed this much and am feeling much better physically and mentally. I am prepared to face his argument of the advantages of taking this stuff based on my oen negatve experience. Please do not scold me for not consulting with him prior to weanin off, this is not cancer medicine for me it was completely experimental for my Dr. My ADD has also gotten alot better and my ritalin is finally working again! My anxiety has leveled off as well beleive it or not it got alot worse when I uped the dose, I think I willl stick to the 30mg dose because that seemed to be the lucky number for me as far as alleviating anxiety. Oh and I should mention that the sexual side effects have certainly gotten better and I am hoping that once I level off at the 30mg dose I will be in the clear. Hope everyone is hanging in there! I know for many of you this is an incredibly long journey and certainly physically draining and mentally exhausting but know that your bodies will tell you what pace it can handle and you will eventually get to your goal!

#5 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Stay the course ..... :hug: 

#6 thatstheoldme

thatstheoldme

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

thanks for the update Nikki!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users