14 replies to this topic

#1 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hello All,

I need some advice!  I am desperatley trying to wean off cymbalta.  I did it a few years ago, as per my doctors direction of take 1 pill every otherday, then every third day ect., AND the anxiety came back tenfold!  I had to go up to 60 mg:(  So, here I am trying again.  I got down to 30 mg and am now counting beads.  I took out 35 beads for a few months and have just started taking out 50 beads this morning.  I seem to feel ok but I know by body can't handle it if I go too fast.  Any suggestions from here?  How long to stay on -50 beads then in what incraments do i take beads out?  The dr thinks this is very tedious of me but i just cannot do what he is telling me too.  Not after what I have went through before.  It was AWFUL!!!!!!  i want to do this right and for good.  Please any advice?

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Elle52, welcome. You are tapering too fast that is why  the withdrawal is so bad. Most of us, once stable, drop 4 or 5 beads each day BUT if the withdrawal gets to bad stabalize and try 2 o3 beads a day. Let your body tell you what you can handle. Your first thing is to stay at the level you are at until you stabalize.

#3 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thank you for your response.  I've been reading all the posts and have come to that same conclusion.  So the game plan now is to stay -50 until stable then i will do as you have suggested and take out 3 beads a day.  It's funny because I thought I was going too slow!!!  According tot he doctor I am!  But this bead counting method seems to sit much better with me.

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Good luck and let us know if there is anything we can do.

#5 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thank you!  This is a really scary process for me since the first time around was so horrible!  It's so refreshing to see that there are people out there that understand!  This whole time I thought I was being ridiculous for bead counting and what I was feeling, I never knew this was common.  I already feel better knowing I am not alone.  Thank you:)

#6 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello All,

I need some advice!  I am desperatley trying to wean off cymbalta.  I did it a few years ago, as per my doctors direction of take 1 pill every otherday, then every third day ect., AND the anxiety came back tenfold!  I had to go up to 60 mg:(  So, here I am trying again.  I got down to 30 mg and am now counting beads.  I took out 35 beads for a few months and have just started taking out 50 beads this morning.  I seem to feel ok but I know by body can't handle it if I go too fast.  Any suggestions from here?  How long to stay on -50 beads then in what incraments do i take beads out?  The dr thinks this is very tedious of me but i just cannot do what he is telling me too.  Not after what I have went through before.  It was AWFUL!!!!!!  i want to do this right and for good.  Please any advice?

Hi Elle...Sounds like you are on the right path by switching to a slower tapering method.  I started that method 2 days ago going down from a 60 mg dose.  I have the same question you do about the 30 mg capsules.  In the 60 mg capsule, I counted 209 beads.  I am taking out 1% each day (so I am taking out 6 beads tonight).  I have heard that the 30 mg capsules have something like 300 beads in them.  If that is the case, then those beads have less medication in them, and the number of beads will be more like 3 each day.   I am hoping I can take out more than just 2 or 3 each day, but the symptoms I am experiencing right now are just about the maximum I can handle.   My doctor told me to go from 60 mg to 30 mg overnight.   There was no way...as you can see most of us are in that boat.  

Good luck with your journey!  It's good to know there are other folks out here that are experiencing the same thing.  

#7 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi Timbo. When I weaned down from 60 I asked the dr to give me 30 mg capsules so I took one 30 mg and the other 30 I opened and split in half....so I guess I was taking 45 mg. I did that for a month or so then stopped the half and was on 30 mg. I've been on 30 for a few months. I found tapering to 30 was easy. I felt lousy for 2 weeks but still functional...didn't miss a day of work but was exhausted and the end of each day! I find the tricky part tapering from 30 bc then your going down to no meds in your system! I don't know that worked for me and I am pretty sensitive.

Thank you for your reply and good luck to you too!!! It's always nice speaking to ppl who are going through the same experience!

#8 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

:hug:Hang in there, Elle52! We're fighting this with you!!!  There really is strength in numbers!!! Best wishes!!! clara B)

#9 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thank you Clara! I so appreciate your kind words! I am a school teacher so the toughest is feeling the head zaps and nausea while infront of 30 teenagers and just having to go on like I feel fine. I hate this! But reading through this forum shows that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and we will get there!!!!! Thank you for the support:)

#10 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi Timbo. When I weaned down from 60 I asked the dr to give me 30 mg capsules so I took one 30 mg and the other 30 I opened and split in half....so I guess I was taking 45 mg. I did that for a month or so then stopped the half and was on 30 mg. I've been on 30 for a few months. I found tapering to 30 was easy. I felt lousy for 2 weeks but still functional...didn't miss a day of work but was exhausted and the end of each day! I find the tricky part tapering from 30 bc then your going down to no meds in your system! I don't know that worked for me and I am pretty sensitive.

Thank you for your reply and good luck to you too!!! It's always nice speaking to ppl who are going through the same experience!

You gave me an idea (for myself) today.  I was switched from 60 mg to 30 mg and got sick after about 10 days.  I just started this tapering process about 4 days ago (all of this counting...ahhhh!).    I have been trying some additional things like drinking more water, exercising, keeping busy at work, etc; and I'm finding that is helping quite a bit.  This morning I have absolutely not symptoms of withdrawal, and I removed an additional 3 beads last night (vs 2).   I think I may bump up my daily reduction to 6 or 7 until I get to 45 mg and then slow down.   I am getting impatient with the process.   I just want to be free from it all.  I think I may also take a week off work in January and push it a little harder and just brace myself for being tied to the house for a few days.  

I don't know why I am writing that here...I think I just wanted to write it out as I processed it.    It was your post that gave me the idea.  It sounds like a workable plan.  

I'm impressed that you have pulled this off while teaching.  I can only imagine how hard it must be to maintain a level of patience in that setting.  Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.   :) 

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thank you for your response.  I've been reading all the posts and have come to that same conclusion.  So the game plan now is to stay -50 until stable then i will do as you have suggested and take out 3 beads a day.  It's funny because I thought I was going too slow!!!  According tot he doctor I am!  But this bead counting method seems to sit much better with me.

Elle52 hello. I agree with fishinghat.  

You are doing so well! I am thoroughly impressed that you can teach through this! Wow; I was impressed when I made it to the washroom and back.

Slow and steady. There's no need to poke the badger of withdrawal with a stick of haste.

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Timbo

Symptom-free this morning! That's fabulous!

Don't rush it. Although, it is possible to come off sooner, and the only way to do this is to determine what rate of reduction brings on the symptoms. Then you can back off some and adjust your rate. 

You're a brave soul, and I wish you a speedy and safe recovery!!

#13 Elle52

Elle52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi Timbo.  Talking this out helps me understand it in my head too!  Yes staying at 45mg helped me stablize then continue.  Otherwise it was too fast for me. 

Great Freiend - Thank you!  I appreciate your input and encouragment!

#14 Akk

Akk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi Elle52-

Go slow, that is the key.  I have been decreasing my 2-3 beads a day, am down from 200 to 26.  I teach, too, and find that keeping really busy with 4th graders keeps me from realizing how crummy I feel.  Occasionally, I have to hide a Coke under my desk because I find the sugar helps.   Like you, I do come home exhausted, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.   You will get there!  Be patient!

#15 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Akk- That's a great pace. At 2-3 beads per day, by the time you get to Bead Zero, the overt symptoms will be gone. Then it's steady healing and feeling better and better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users