Photo

Advice On Weaning Off Cymbalta And Lamotrigine (Lamictal)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rosieandmoley

rosieandmoley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi folks... I have been perusing the forum for a few weeks now.

Loving the bead counting and all the info on Cymbalta half life- I didn't know any of that before.

I was prescribed the lamotrigine as a stabiliser but after maybe about 8 or 9 months on it (or perhaps a year, I don't really know) I am not happy with how it makes me feel. After speaking to my consultant, and thinking about it logically, it seems that their job is to pump us full of drugs and then discharge us.  

I am on 90mg of cymb and 200mg of lamot. I have previously been on 120mg of cymb. and when I last saw my doctor, we discussed putting it back up again to 120mg.

I would ideally like not take any drugs.

Any advice or comments I would be most grateful for :)

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi Rosieandmoley. Yes indeed, much of western medical protocol seems to be to silence the symptom. 

If I were on the meds you are and I wanted to get off, I would put a few things in order and wean off slowly. I'd plan it like a campaign and take it on as a mission!!

I would want my medical people to know what I intend to do, and I would seek their advice (though I would reserve the right to determine the weaning regimen that suits my body). See notes on weaning in this forum.

I would want to have a psychologist in the loop and I would plan regular visits to him or her during my withdrawal, which might take the better part of a year.

I would have some anxiety-specific medication nearby if anxiety is an issue.

I would be sure to have my loved ones in the loop, and especially a close friend that will support my decisions, and not judge me.

I would plan a healthy diet with appropriate supplements like Omega-3. I'd drink little alcohol.

I would plan a regular exercise program- I'd get a trainer if I could afford it. I'd walk minimum of an hour per day.

I would plan to get regular upper-body massages (weaning is hard on your scalp, neck and shoulder muscles).

I would take long, luxurious candle-lit baths and do Mindfulness Meditation.

I would plan short trips of interest- museums, waterfalls, beaches, country roads.

I would cook all the lovely things I always dreamed of cooking.

I would buy a few new items of clothing. Maybe a great hat for walking.

I would maintain my dignity by keeping my grooming up. 

I would identify two good things about my life every single day!

Embrace it; it's real. It's who you are right now, but not who you will be this time next year!!

Make this a coming-out party, or more appropriately a 'coming-off' party. This is emancipation in the keenest sense of the word!

Good luck and best wishes!!!

#3 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

More wonderful advice, thismoment! You are such an inspiration!!! God bless! Hugs to all in SINbalta land!!!!!!!!!! clara :hug:

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi Clara. Hope you are well! 

#5 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Good mornin', thismoment! I am well, thank you! Hope you are! Another cold rainy day here in SC, but I'm fixin' to get a move on! Got wrapping all over the den floor! The old back pain stopped me cold yesterday! BUT, it'll get done today! Gotta get "stuff" done early as the crappy w/d stuff comes on as the day progresses. God bless! clara

#6 rosieandmoley

rosieandmoley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

thank you Thismoment..... I have only just read your fabulous reply through! I have been off it totally for about three weeks I think..... feeling shit :-(

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

Rosieandmoley

I know. It's a struggle to be sure. It's really about just putting in the time- it slowly gets better. Stay hydrated, walk often if you are able, and find some distractions to take your mind off attempting to diagnose the peculiar symptoms that will come and go.

Take care.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users