Photo

Sharing Experiences And Ideas - What Has Helped You?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

As I thought about my post here, I think it was less helpful than it could be.    The system that I mentioned is working for me, but I think it's too complicated and risky for folks who need simple processes for getting off of Cymbalta.    For that reason, I think it was not good judgement to post.   I'm going to remove it for that reason.   

I'll just share with you the basics...what I did...and what I'm feeling.   

I'm on day 6 of tapering.   I am going from 60 mg to 30 mg (first).  From there I plan to get to 0 as soon as I can.  Yesterday I removed a total of 15 beads.   I'm just trying to learn how my discomfort I can live with.   I am happy to say that today I feel amazing.  I'm hoping I can be down to 30 mg in a week or 2.    

I apologize if my prior post confused anyone.   :)

Tim

Attached Files

#2 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

I coped with the side effects while I was tapering , I guess because my body was still getting some Cymbalta . I've been Cymbalta free for almost 4 weeks now & Im all over the place . The first week was the worst so far , because of the zapping , dizziness, confusion etc but now I can feel the depression & extreme emotion creeping back & Im scared . I'm pyhsically sick as well with bad fluid retention & gastric problems , I've actually given it today & am just laying on the lounge watching tv anything pysical just exhausts me . I feel like a beached whale !.. Please someone tell me this is all part of the process ( by the way , thanks for you message Clara ) I know if the fight or flight feelings return ( the fear of the fear ) I will need to know that they will ease otherwise I'm scared that the dread Cymbalta will lure me back .. Having trouble concentrating on anything as well .. OMG I'm hating this ...

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Wagtail, you are in withdrawal, and it takes time. This is all part of the process, and it will continue to improve! It may take a couple of months.

Many withdrawal sufferers go back on the drug because of the nasty withdrawal symptoms, which may go on for months.  And sadly, many of those who return to the drug are there for life. 

I wish you all the best, but you have to be patient if you want to be free from Cymbalta. The drug is designed to keep you hooked.

#4 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:
    Needing support coming off this horrible med!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Wagtail- How far did you taper down until you stopped? I ask because for me I made it to 7mgs stopped and at 6 weeks was still suffering.. I have since reinstated and when stable I'll begin the bead counting (it really works) until I am at 0. Best of luck and we are all here :)

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi Lovemy3girls,

I went from 60 mg to 30mg & then started taking out a few beads every day . I have to admit that I found them too small & bothersome to actually count & after about 2 weeks I just stopped . I guess that I was @ about 5 mg @ that stage & wrongly thought that those few little beads couldn't be doing to much anyway. WRONG MOVE !.

After about two days I felt dreadful but was still full of motivation & was expecting to well known side effects anyhow do I rode it out .
Now 4 weeks later I'm not feeling so strong & gung-ho about it all but don't want to give in & start taking any again.
I just need to hear others tell me that it's all part & parcel of the trip I'm on & that I'm NOT going to break down
& let the drug win .
I don't want to be seen as weak & as a victim .. I have way too much to live for & to be happy about , I want my children & grandchildren to remember the " happy me "..
Just a question for you out of curiosity , did your journey start with Post Natal Depression ?.

#6 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hi Lovemy3girls,

I went from 60 mg to 30mg & then started taking out a few beads every day . I have to admit that I found them too small & bothersome to actually count & after about 2 weeks I just stopped . I guess that I was @ about 5 mg @ that stage & wrongly thought that those few little beads couldn't be doing to much anyway. WRONG MOVE !.

After about two days I felt dreadful but was still full of motivation & was expecting to well known side effects anyhow do I rode it out .
Now 4 weeks later I'm not feeling so strong & gung-ho about it all but don't want to give in & start taking any again.
I just need to hear others tell me that it's all part & parcel of the trip I'm on & that I'm NOT going to break down
& let the drug win .
I don't want to be seen as weak & as a victim .. I have way too much to live for & to be happy about , I want my children & grandchildren to remember the " happy me "..
Just a question for you out of curiosity , did your journey start with Post Natal Depression ?.

Great question wagtail, yes is did. I had PPD with my oldest 13 years ago, and was put on Effexor, I had to count the little beads to get off that one back then. I was then put on this drug after the birth of my 2 year old. I was told it was a "just for now" med to get me through. Well here I am, doing the weaning process all over again!

#7 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Wagtail- what led you to being put on the drug? And your children and grandchildren will remember the happy you, give yourself time, you will get there, we all will! xxx

#8 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Firstly LOVEMY3GIRLS , I asked the question because your name suggests that your illness might have something to do with child birth . I supported my eldest daughter through it with her 2 children so my instincts made me think that you were traveling the same road as she did . Her youngest is now almost eleven & she is just fine now . PND is a dreadful illness but thankefully these days it is also a very well recognized one . When I suffered from it a ( million ) years ago it was not even recognized & I had to get through it the best way I could . Therefore when my daughter went down the same road I was right there beside her to support her every inch of the way , as I was probably the only person in her life that actually knew and had felt the dreadful feelings that she was suffering .
Secondly , I was a survivor of child abuse , I carried the secret right through my life without telling a soul but silently suffering every moment of every day of my life .
Unfortunately when my granddaughters reached the age that I was when abused , it hit home to me that I had let this dreadful event ruin my life & only then did I realize that it hadn't been my fault & that I was actually the victim & was a child that should have been protected . Consequently this realization was too much for me to handle so I allowed myself to reach out for help . A whole lifetime of misery & lies bottled up for 50 yrs needed to be dealt with . I was hospitalized for some weeks & my journey towards healing began, as did my meeting with antidepressants .. They did help me cope , so will have to admit to that .. Now the parting of ways brings with it a myriad of bad feelings back into my reluctant self .. I will get through this ,as I got through the loss of my innocence as a child of 6yrs & still managed to find happiness regardless . My affirmation that helps me every day is " I REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM " .. Taught to me by one of my daughters & I thank her for that .. Good luck with your journey , & from experience ... You will survive this & you will have many moments of great joy with your little family .. God Bless & if I can shed light on anything for you @ any time ! Just ask ..

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Dear Wagtail, you have touched my heart today! You deserve all grace; bless you!

#10 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Wagtail, you are a huge blessing! Sharing your story will help in the w/d and healing process, for many, I have no doubt! God bless! clara :hug:

#11 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Wagtail- Thank you for sharing your story, I am touched by your humble honesty. I know what you mean that the ad's helped you cope, initially they did for me too. I have bad days that I want to just stop this stuff, I have severe pain in my legs that was gone once had been off for 6 weeks, I am at a stand still on what to do now. I can't be a train wreck, and I can't be in pain everyday. The Akathisia is horrible to where I literally can't sit still. I never had any of these issues before this crap. I am so happy to hear that you were right by your daughter's side, I wish my mother would have been able to be. I know how much that had to of helped your daughter, support is key, especially with post partum. I always felt like it was my fault but I know now that it wasn't. We will all get through this...Blessing and hugs!!

#12 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

One good day doesn't mean you're better, but it does feel good to know that good days are possible . I usually eat porridge or poached eggs on whole meal toast for breakfast, but feeling so sick I changed to something very simple & quick . I started having breakfast cereal ( just right from Kellogs ) four days later I was so sick from bloating that I was needing heat packs on my tummy to ease the pain .
I stopped having the cereal & the bloating & pained eased & then today it has gone . I think for the moment I've become intolerant to mixed grains , another side effect from withdrawing from Cymbalta?.
I can definitely feel myself getting more positive now & physically not as sick either ,It's my 5 the week of zero Cymbalta .
My GP was shocked when I told him that I had stopped completely in less than 2 months , he thought I had come in for a new scrip of 30 mg down from my 60 mg . When I told him I didn't want a script @ all he couldn't understand @ first but was very happy for me . He said that I should have gone a lot slower & wouldn't have suffered all the BAD withdrawal side effects but I think regardless of how slow we taper , when your body receives zero Cymbalta it reacts regardless .
I know I still have a long way to go but I do think I'm getting a little better each day & the side effect symptoms are more tolerable . Hang in there everyone , it's possible to get through this with each other's help & support.
Thank you all.
💖👍💖👍💖💙💙💙

#13 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Wagtail-

Your GP is happy for you, and I am happy for you too!!! Yes, you are getting a little better each day. 

Interesting that you mentioned the mixed grains. After some experimentation I found that my body is much happier going totally gluten-free.

Best wishes to you, and congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users