• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Just wanted to say hi to all and thank you for this site. I haven't started the weaning process yet. I was considering doing it over the two weeks christmas holiday. I've now talked myself out if it.
Stopped cold turkey for three days and couldn't lift my head. Vertigo symptoms, even laying down with my eyes closed, everything was spinning.
Took a cymbalta and felt better within hours.

I'm going to do the bead counting. What I would like to know is, how long before I can take 5 HTP. (Herbal remedy which I used to take and found amazing) I have read that you cannot take these along with cymbalta. Anyone know the answer!
Much love to all. Xx

#2 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

Welcome to the group, Mollymoo!   If you don't mind my asking, what is your current dosage of Cymbalta (60 mg, 30 mg, etc?  You mention trying to wean over a 2 week holiday.  That sounds pretty aggressive.    You will find some very kind and supportive people here who can give you some suggestions.  You'll see everything ranging from cold turkey to bead counting (probably the most popular menas), and some who continue to take Cymbalta.  No matter what method you choose, everyone will support your through it and give you some "back up plans" - just in case things don't work as planned.  

I am still amazed at how quickly I went from ok, but wanting to get off the drug to feeling like the world was crumbling around me (headaches, vertigo, stomach issues, etc).   Bu within 24 hours, I had enough advice to get my side-effects to a place that I could manage them.   And, as you learned, you can always add back beads when you take it again.   My experience has been extremely positive since I started bead counting the beginning of this month.   I am now down from just over 200 beads to 31 beads, and I feel amazing.   Sure, I still have my moments right before I am due my dose, but the effects are mild compared to before.  

I am unfamiliar with the remedies you mention above; however, I am interested - especially when I am so close to the end, now. 

Thanks for stepping out and introducing yourself.    I think you will enjoy this space...lost of warmth and support.   :-) 

#3 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm taking I capsule 20mg I think. I was on 40mg but stopped the second with very little side affects.
I have had a good read of lots of posts here and think I will do the bead counting and really take my time. I teach and really need to be on top form.
5HTP increases serotonin, I live in South Wales(I'm not sure if this forum is American based) so you may not get it in another country? I used to take it and found it amazing. However I had a really nasty car crash and suffered the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. My doctor put me on cymbalta. I googled the 5HTP and it's says its dangerous to take them.
I hope someone will be able to advise me. My doctor wasn't all that keen on the herbal alternative. 😔
Thanks again for the reply.
I think I actually will start counting on my next dose. Would you recomend I start with taking out 3?
Many thanks. X

#4 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Welcome , when you do decide to wean off the Cymbalta do it very slowly . I made the mistake of doing it very quickly & regret it . Take your time & take the advice of all the loving people here who have " been there , done that !." .. No matter how you do it , the people on here are wonderful & know better than your Doctor because they have battled through 24/7 , the doctor hasn't done this & is only going on what the drug company has told him / her. We know the truth & will stick by you with support & understanding . Some on here are very wise & give life saving advise .. Listen to them but still do your own research as well ... I'm now zero Cymbalta for 7 weeks, going from 10 yrs of 60 ml to zero over 3 weeks . Don't do that !!!!!!!! I have made myself suffer more than I needed too ... Count your beads carefully , each tiny little bead has WOW impact .. Don't be complacent like I was ... I wish I could name the people who have helped me , & still are.. But I'm not great with computers so don't know how to hold this post while I go looking for names , you will soon sort out the ones who are serious in helping you through... Fishinghat ? Timmo ? & a couple of others that my poor brain won't let me remember just now ... Good Luck ...

#5 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:53 AM

Thank you so much! I thank God I found this site and found you all!
Today is the day! I'm taking 3 beads out! Xx

#6 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

very slowly & you'll be fine .. Cyber hugs

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:17 AM

Mollymoo hi. 

Yes, apparently there is a conflict with Cymbalta and 5 HTP.  Cymbalta's half-life is 12 hours, so it takes less than a week to get most of it out of your system if you quit cold turkey. You could probably begin the 5 HTP a week after your last Cymbalta bead, but confirm it with your physician. As you've already discovered, the side effects begin in earnest within a few days of quitting cold turkey.

Perhaps you might consider tapering off in a linear fashion (a gentle slope with no steps in it), over a period of 90 days. Count the beads in a capsule and divide by 90 to give you the number of beads to remove each day. Example-  270 beads divide by 90 days = 3 beads per day. Day 1 take out 3 beads; day 2 take out 6 beads; day 3 take out 9 beads and so on. You're done in 90 days. If the symptoms get too rough, stop removing beads and level off at the current dosage for some days until you feel stable enough to continue reducing.

I did it in 42 days and that was much too fast for me. If I had to do it again I would remove 1% per day over 100 days, levelling off when required.

You will probably have withdrawal symptoms even with the slow weaning, and they most likely will be symptoms you have read about on this forum and elsewhere on the net. The slow weaning will make the symptoms more bearable.

I wish you the best of luck in your weaning program! Post your progress, as it helps to talk about it with folks who understand. And soon you will be helping others.

#8 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

Thismoment , I get confused when they state that the Cymbalta is out of our system in 12 hrs .... 7 weeks after taking my last dose & Im really battling .. If it's out of my system !, why am I so sick ?.. It's so confusing ..

#9 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Hi Mollymoo and welcome! You'll get through this! Lots of caring and compassionate people here to read your posts, cheer you on, and offer all the support they can. Everyone has a different story to tell about this horrible experience of Cymbalta w/d. It has helped me immeasurably! Keep us all posted on how you're doing! It's ok to put it out here, even if it's hard to put into words what's going on, I've found it helps to LET IT GO!! All my best to you!!! clara :)

#10 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Thismoment , I get confused when they state that the Cymbalta is out of our system in 12 hrs .... 7 weeks after taking my last dose & Im really battling .. If it's out of my system !, why am I so sick ?.. It's so confusing ..

Hi Wagtail.   Thank you for your kind words!  

Regarding your It's actually not the Cymbalta in your system that is making you feel sick.  Rather, it is the fact that your brain is having to heal what the Cymbalta did to it.   Since this is a SNRI, the part of your brain that absorbed the excess serotonin and norepinephrin have to (basically) grow back.   That's traumatic for your body to experience.  A 12 hour half-life just means that in 12 hours, half of the drug has gone out of your system.    Depending on your metabolism and fat stores, the drug could remain in your system for a while longer.   

I'm surprised you are still feeling so sick after this long (7 weeks).    It almost makes me think you might try a very low dose (if you have any left) and wean of from that dose.   I have gone down from 60 mg to (according to my estimates) about 7 mg (31 beads).   So far, I feel pretty good.   I have been keeping a journal.   My journal entry each day has looked almost the same...early morning headache for about and hour, slight dizziness/headache right before my dose time.   Other than that, I have felt great.   BUT...now that I am down to such a low dose, I think I am going to make an adjustment to my game plan based on what you just said.   I think I am going to drop my bead count reduction to just 1 bead per day.    I'm hoping I can just quietly slip off of the drug and be done with it.   

I have always given myself permission to take a capsule with about 20 beads in it if I have a super bad day.  Fortunately, that hasn't happened, yet.  Perhaps just knowing that I can helps me get through the day a little bit better.    I know you just want be finished with this stuff...but if you are feeling so sick, maybe tricking your body a little might make it better?    

Good luck with however you choose to do it.  I hate that you are feeling so badly, though.  :-/  

#11 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm taking I capsule 20mg I think. I was on 40mg but stopped the second with very little side affects.
I have had a good read of lots of posts here and think I will do the bead counting and really take my time. I teach and really need to be on top form.
5HTP increases serotonin, I live in South Wales(I'm not sure if this forum is American based) so you may not get it in another country? I used to take it and found it amazing. However I had a really nasty car crash and suffered the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. My doctor put me on cymbalta. I googled the 5HTP and it's says its dangerous to take them.
I hope someone will be able to advise me. My doctor wasn't all that keen on the herbal alternative.
Thanks again for the reply.
I think I actually will start counting on my next dose. Would you recomend I start with taking out 3?
Many thanks. X

Mollymoo, I think that is a good start (20 mg).   How many beads are in the 20 mg capsules?   I am using 60 mg caps which have about 200-209 beads.   The 30 mg caps have about 270-280.   I'm assuming that the 20 mg will probably have even more bead (just less medication per bead).     My point is that you may find that you can take out a few additional beads each day.  But SLOWLY...don't rush yourself.   I have been gradually increasing my taper over a period of about a month.   I have been very fortunate that things have gone relatively smoothly.  But now that I'm down to these last 31 beads, I'm going to slow down again.   I have heard too many stories of people who have some side-effects after the final date.  Usually, due to the nature of the medication, what you experience "today" is going to be based on the number of beads you took about 6 or 7 days ago.  So...you might keep a chart/journal as I have been doing.  That way, if you have a point where you don't feel well...and you just think "I can't feel this way today and function," then you can always take a capsule with enough beads to make up the difference to get you back to where you were 6 or 7 days ago.    You learn a great deal about your body as you go through this experience.   

Wow...what a rambling paragraph that was!  I need some coffee...it's early.   ;-)   

Keep the questions coming.   I'm proud of you...3 beads down is less than you took yesterday!  You're on your way!  

#12 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

I made a mistake, it's actually 60mg. 😳
I just took two beads out. I'll take four tomorrow and so on. Xx
It really doesn't look like two tiny beads would make a difference does it? I was really tempted to take out more. I didn't though!
Here's to cymbalta free me in 2914!!
😄😃😀

#13 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I made a mistake, it's actually 60mg.
I just took two beads out. I'll take four tomorrow and so on. Xx
It really doesn't look like two tiny beads would make a difference does it? I was really tempted to take out more. I didn't though!
Here's to cymbalta free me in 2914!!

If you are taking 60 mg, I think 2 beads is a perfect number of beads for starting your taper.    I counted 2 capsules of the 60 mg and counted 209 in one and 206 in another one.  I figure that is close to about .30 mg per bead (approximately).  Remember that the effects of what you took today won't affect you immediately.  Depending on the way your body metabolizes the drug and how your body heals itself, it will be several days before you will know how the decrease is going to impact you.   Try not to get discouraged when you feel slight symptoms (headaches, vertigo, etc).   Just remind yourself that these symptoms just mean that your body is healing itself.  I have found the symptoms of withdrawal in this tapering process are not bad at all.   I think of them more as annoyances than anything.   I have a pretty demanding job as do you and many others here.  I have not found that these minor symptoms have had any negative impact on my ability to work.   

My doctor had me drop from 60 mg to 30 mg as a means of getting off of Cymbalta.  After 6 days I was miserable.  I was having brain zaps and vertigo that caused me to be so sick that I was throwing up and hardly able to move.  My doctor told me I'd just have to feel that way for a few weeks.   If I had done that, I would have had to stop working...not an option.    I stumbled on this website that day and immediately went back to the 60 mg minus 2 beads.   I felt better within an hour and back to "normal" within 24 hours.  Since that day (almost 4 weeks ago), I have felt great.  Even with the side effects, I am feeling the positive changes in my body...clarity of mind, more energy, no excessive sweating, etc.   Even when it was freezing outside, I was sweating.  I had to laugh the other day when I got excited about the fact that I needed to turn on my heat and use a blanket!  ;-) 

I think you will notice a common theme throughout the posts on this site of "slow down" over and over again.   Keep that as your mantra when you start feeling worse than you think you can handle.   I have found some solace in the fact that I know that within an hour of adjusting my dose upward, I can get my symptoms managed.   For example, if you are taking 150 beads down from 170 beads 6 or 7 days later and get to feeling badly during the day; keep a "safety" capsule with 18-20 beads in it and take it.   If necessary, take 170 for a few days until you can get back to feeling stable.  Then start tapering again.   

Because this drug is prescribed for a variety of reason, it impacts folks differently.  I was prescribed Cymbalta for symptoms related to pain from spine surgery.  I have never had issues with anxiety/depression.   For people who are taking it for anxiety and depression,  I think working on finding ways to avoid feeling anxious is very important.  When your anxiety increases, so does your need for serotonin and norepinephrine.   Since this drug allows more serotonin and norepinephrine to stay in your brain, reducing the drug is obviously going to mean that you are now going to have less.   If you have sudden anxiety attacks, then you increase the risk of experiencing worse side-effects (I'm just being logical).   My thought is that by giving yourself a couple of backup plans will help you feel more in control and less anxious, thus reducing the chance of the effects of the withdrawal.   

Fortunately, I have only had to resort to a backup plan twice in the past month.  Each time, I felt perfect in just an hour.  I'd be happy to share with you my own system of tapering if you are interested.  I having posted it in a forum because I think it is a bit confusing, and that is the last thing I want to do to anyone.   

Personally, I think you are starting this off perfectly.   Even if you only decrease by 2 additional beads per day, you will be off of this in just over 3 months.   You'll figure out your tolerance for how much of a decrease you can handle as you go.  Just don't assume that (for example) if you suddenly drop 20 beads in one day and feel fine the next day that 20 is your new tolerance...it is how you feel in 6 or 7 days that should be your barometer.  

I'm proud of you Mollymoo...I know you are going to get through this!  :-) 

#14 Akk

Akk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Mollymoo, welcome!  I took my last single bead today after starting the bead counting  9/14/13.  I stared taking out 1% every 10 days, then moved to 2 beads a day around the middle of October because I was afraid of overdoing it :).  I exercised, took the vitamins recommended on this site, and always found myself coming back here for encouragement and information.  I put the beads I was taking out in a little container to use with empty gel caps when I ran out of my prescription because I was NOT going to buy any more cymbalta.  I have had headaches every day, stomach upset, the works; however, it was bearable and I kept my eye on the prize of no more beads.

Slow and steady wins the race.  You can do this!  Be kind to yourself.

#15 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi Wagtail. In 12 hours the last dosage you took is diminished by half, and in the next 12 hours it's cut in half again. So if you take 30 mg now, you will have 15 mg in your body in 12 hours and 7.5 mg in twenty-four hours. Therefore it gets to near zero in 4 days or so; absolute zero is virtually infinite, but that doesn't matter.

Timbo is right, it's not the drug that's messing you up- it's how the drug renovated your brain. The drug makes physical changes in the brain, and when you remove the drug, the brain has to physically change again in able to function without the drug.

It is struggling to heal itself- it is battling to save itself- and when and if it does, the rest of your body will be the beneficiary of that grace. That's why it's an honourable battle, perhaps even holy. Your brain is all you are, all you were, and all you will ever be. It's all you have to offer anyone you love.

#16 Akk

Akk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

That was beautiful, ThisMoment.  Today I went out to run errands, my big 1 bead day,and it was horrendous.  I was wiped out, tired, fuzzy, hot and knew I had to cut the trip short and get home.  I walked in the door and cried like a baby in my husbands arms.  Feeling a bit better now.  Having the family for Christmas and will make it through that because I will be with people I love, who do indeed have me and my brain.  Merry Christmas.

#17 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Akk, you can cry your way to peace in the arms of someone you love. Merry Christmas!

#18 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I've reached my quota of "LIKES" for the day , so consider all of the above posts liked .. Thank you for explaining the 12 hr Cymbalta life to me ? I just couldn't understand why I was 7 weeks of zero & feeling so bad still .
It's amazing how the body works so hard to heal itself , I can feel every part of my body , one part & one organ @ a time fighting to cope with out the chemicals controlling them .. My kidneys have been out of wack for about a week , retaining fluid & barely making any ( pee) urine. Today I think they have sorted themselves out & almost back to normal .
I guess as the Cymbalta took hold & affected each organ in order, than it's in the reverse order that they need to heal . Does that make sense ?.
I was put on Cymbalta for post traumatic stress disorder, which in turn causes severe anxiety , panic attacks & depression .
I can feel these symptoms returning but in a milder controllable form , if they get too severe I will take the occasional Zanax to help me . That's my back up plan for the moment .
MOLLYMOO whatever you do , count the beads carefully . Yes I too thought that such a little bead couldn't cause much trouble if I just shipped a few . I was wrong , I didn't bother counting I just tipped a few out every day & after a couple of weeks I just went from 60 to 30 then in about a week I stopped completely ... BAD BAD BAD... DONT DO IT !.. Listen to the others & take their advice . I didn't need to suffer so much & if I had to do it again I wouldn't be so blaze .. Merry Xmas everyone & thank you all ..

#19 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

It's almost funny, isn't it?   I went to East Texas this past weekend to spend and early Christmas with my family.   One of my brothers (who is a doctor, ironically) saw me pouring the beads out of the capsule into a plate where I was pushing them around the plate with a credit card to count them.  He jokingly said to my mom..."Tim's in the kitchen doing a line of 'coke.'"   I have to find the humor in it all.   I have a Ziplock bag with all of the beads in it that I took with me on the trip.  I keep looking at the bag and wondering how on earth I ended up in this ridiculous situation.   But...thank goodness there's a whole colony of us here doing the same thing.  It makes me feel a little special that we all share this common bond...but don't hate me for saying that!  ;-) 

#20 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

I think you're all amazing. Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement.
Four beads for me today.
The journal idea is great, I'm going to start that and use it as a gage to increase if need be. I've got full support from my husband (who I sat down yesterday to read through some of the comments on this site) he's going to help me count. I'm a Bugga for rushing things, so he's checking I don't get too keen. 😜
Can I ask about vitamins... I'm taking omega, vit b 1 and vit b12 also 1 iron tablet. Is there anything else I should be taking to help me with my withdrawal?
Merry Christmas Eve to you all, have a fab christmas and a happy, happy, cymbalta free year! Xxx

#21 Lovesilk

Lovesilk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Washington State
  • why_joining:
    I want to be finally free of pharma. To lend support to others as needed and receive support as well.

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:07 AM

Hello fellow travelers. 

I am new to this site, but not at all new to "synthetic well-being".  

Due to a history of anxiety and depression, I have been perscribed many SSRIs over the last 25 years. But honestly, in my experience, whenever I try to get off these damn pills, it is the withdrawal effects that send me back to having to taking them.

After trying to withdraw from Paxil unsuccessfully, I was then perscribed Cymbalta.  I have been on Cymbalta for 1.5 years.  It took about 3 months to go thru the initial side effects.  I experienced a host of flu-like symptoms during those weeks.  I wanted to quit but my doc reassured me that they would subside.  They finally did.  I noticed problems with my short term memory, don't sleep well and my digestion is terrible.  Lots of problems there with constipation, gas, bloating, heartburn. 

There are a few reasons why I want to get off of these drugs. 

1)  I do not want to be on a drug JUST BECAUSE I CAN'T GET OFF OF IT.  That is not a reason to be on a drug.  The withdrawals are so horrifying for me that I am forced to     get back on. 

2)  I think about the possibility of not being able to continue to get the perscription forcing me to quit abruptly - natural disaster, financial situation, etc. - which could cause me to commit suicide - yes my withdrawals are that bad.

3)  I do not know what these are doing to my brain - is it causing brain damage?  There are no real solid answers - I'm not ok with that.

4)  I have lost absolutely all trust in pharma.  I know far too much now.

Why doesn't anyone understand that withdrawal symptoms are entirely different and by far, way more intense than the anxiety or depression that I had before I ever got onto these damn pills?  That only adds to this whole frigging nightmare.  No one believes me!  I am the one who experiences it and yet I am not believed. I know from experience that withdrawal symptoms are a separate issue from depression and anxiety. 

I never experienced panic attacks until I was on SSRIs.  I never experienced head-zaps until i was on SSRIs.  I never experienced insomnia until I was on SSRIs.  I never experienced digestive problems until I was on SSRIs.  Vertigo, burning pains, rashes . . . I would give anything to go back to just dealing with depression. 

I am so grateful that this site is here. 

#22 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi lovesilk and welcome! We all understand what you are going through and will be here with loving support! You'll find, while going through past posts  on different subjects lots of good information. And if you can't find info you might need, someone, likely thismoment, fishinghat, or Timbo will know or find out. I know and feel what you are saying about the whole Cymbalta, ssri thing, I am there also. BUT, there is hope for us all! All my best to you! Keep us UTD on your progress! We'll laugh, cry, cheer, and support you on this hellish rollercoaster ride! We can do this!!!! clara :)

#23 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Lovesilk hi.

Welcome to the merry-go-round! It sounds like you've tried to jump off this ride before- of course it's difficult and most of us can't just leap off; it goes too fast. So we count beads and go slow, and that reduces the strength of the withdrawal symptoms.

To withdraw you'll need 50 capsules. Reduce by 1% day one, 2% day two, 3% day three, and you're done in 100 days. Allow a further 200 days to heal, re-adapt, and re-train your brain. You will be fine.

Is it damaging your brain? Without a doubt it is physically changing your brain, but you will have to assess whether if there's been damage once you are healed. That's a value judgement you will have to make after a year of so when you can assess what you've got. For example, if you have some negative symptoms that are permanent, you might consider that to be brain damage. 

On the other hand, if you suddenly find you can foretell winning lottery tickets, pick good horses, or hot stocks, that might be considered brain enhancement! lol

Best wishes! You can get through this!  Please post your progress here. 

#24 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hi everyone and a happy new year!!
Just wanted to post a little update on my big withdrawal.
Down to 22 beads out tomorrow. So far, (I'm almost too afraid to sat it for fear of jinxing myself) I'm fine. Had the usual fibro aches and pains, irritable legs and can't sleep, (hence the 3:31am post) but all in all, I've not had the awful giddy ness I had if I missed a few doses. I'm remaining optimistic, positive mental attitude and praying that I'm going to be one if the lucky people that has an easy ride!
Am I speaking too soon, and is 22 beads out very early days?

Xxx

#25 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Hang on to that positive attitude! You are doing great!!! Praying all continues to go well, mollymoo!!! clara :rolleyes:

#26 JustMeister

JustMeister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Good for you, @Mollymoo! And I don't think you're speaking "too soon" if your positivity helps you work through this process. It sounds like you're managing a great pace and taking your time, and your body is responding in kind. I'm so glad you found this forum and that you've gotten some help.

Here's to a 2014 Cymbalta-free!

#27 Akk

Akk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Mollymoo, you are sounding great, fellow teacher!  I think a positive attitude is everything.  Had I known the w/d effects of the nasty beads, I would have begun my slow tapering in June.  However, hindsight is 20/20 and I began it in September, mainly for the reason that lovesilk mentioned above-I was afraid of being forced to go off unexpectedly, and was scared of the withdrawals.  As for being in the classroom while withdrawing, I found that coca cola helped with the nausea, light clothing helped with the awful sweats while on and going off the cymbalta ( and making sure I always stood underneath a ceiling vent), plenty of water, light snacks and be kind to yourself.  I confided in some good friends who would help me out with my "foggies," listened to my rants, and generally were there to talk me down from my confusion. Managing 60 students and keeping track of assignments due, to be graded, to be recorded in the grade book gets cray-cray.  I learned to prioritize, doing the previously unknown thing of putting my sanity first.

You can do this!! We have all (are, have been, continue to be) there, and are good listeners.  Happy New Year!

#28 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hi everyone and a happy new year!!
Just wanted to post a little update on my big withdrawal.
Down to 22 beads out tomorrow. So far, (I'm almost too afraid to sat it for fear of jinxing myself) I'm fine. Had the usual fibro aches and pains, irritable legs and can't sleep, (hence the 3:31am post) but all in all, I've not had the awful giddy ness I had if I missed a few doses. I'm remaining optimistic, positive mental attitude and praying that I'm going to be one if the lucky people that has an easy ride!
Am I speaking too soon, and is 22 beads out very early days?

Xxx

Mollymoo...you made my night.   I am so proud for you!  You give me hope that we are going to make it.   Your attitude is wonderful...my attitude for the past 3 days has been awful...and you remind me that my attitude is just that...mine...and I need to take responsibility for it.  I think the attitude is part of the healing.  Even as I write that, I think you have jarred me back into reality.  I was starting to have a pity party - and I was having it alone!  I don't know if what I have would be considered "fibro," since it only started after I had the discectomy in my neck.  But my WHOLE body aches all over like it did when i first started taking Cymbalta.  But for some reason, the aches are more tolerable than this awful sickness I am feeling from the withdrawal.   

I'm joining you in the fast withdrawal - I took a 17-bead capsule just now.   Down from 207 in 6 weeks.   "Fast?"  I guess that depends on who you ask.   The "cold turkey" folks did it FAST!  But 6 weeks of a somewhat gradual decline is slower.   And some folks are saying that after another 12 days  that they are already having more good days than bad.  I find that encouraging.   

I hope you are still doing well.   I have not been on as much lately - been too dizzy to read these.   :blink:

#29 Lovesilk

Lovesilk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to be finally free of pharma. To lend support to others as needed and receive support as well.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

Hi lovesilk and welcome! We all understand what you are going through and will be here with loving support! You'll find, while going through past posts  on different subjects lots of good information. And if you can't find info you might need, someone, likely thismoment, fishinghat, or Timbo will know or find out. I know and feel what you are saying about the whole Cymbalta, ssri thing, I am there also. BUT, there is hope for us all! All my best to you! Keep us UTD on your progress! We'll laugh, cry, cheer, and support you on this hellish rollercoaster ride! We can do this!!!! clara :)

Thank you so much for your reply Clara <3  It really means the world to me to have your support going through this.  I am doing this on my own - without family or friend support as they would prefer I just stayed on the meds and not have to witness my withdrawals.  In the past they have been far too intense for me to succeed.  I am determined to get thru this this time..  I began tappering Cymbalta Brand 60mg. on Dec. 1, 2013.  I began my taper by removing 10 granules nightly for the first 3 weeks. I wanted to do this taper with 2 week step downs, but I was switched to a generic 2 weeks into my taper and had to adjust and do an extra week at -10 granules (gee thanx for that curveball pharma).  So from there I proceded with every 2 weeks removing 2 more granules.  As of tonite I am at -14 granules for 7 more days, then it will be -16 granules for those next 2 weeks, and then -18 for 2 weeks and so on.  That is my plan anyway.  I have been sleeping so much since about a week or so into my taper.  I am chalking that up to withdrawal.  I have been very hungry and have gained about 10 lbs since beginning my taper.  Today I noticed some minor head-zapping.  So far I have not experienced any real crying jags.  I am one of those that apparently has to tapper over a very long period.  Possibly up to a year even I expect.  Generic Cymbalta has 300 granules in each capsule so at this rate it will take me some time.  I really don't care how long it takes, as long as I am able to keep progressing with little withdrawal.  I'll tel you, I really would like to join a lawsuit against the manufacturer.  I, like so many other people, have been vicitimized horribly by these meds.  But, my focus for now is on tappering.  Thank you again so much for walking with me.  I will be visiting this site regularly, making it an integral part of my recovery.  God bless you dear.  (I want to hear your story as well)  :)

#30 Lovesilk

Lovesilk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

Lovesilk hi.

Welcome to the merry-go-round! It sounds like you've tried to jump off this ride before- of course it's difficult and most of us can't just leap off; it goes too fast. So we count beads and go slow, and that reduces the strength of the withdrawal symptoms.

To withdraw you'll need 50 capsules. Reduce by 1% day one, 2% day two, 3% day three, and you're done in 100 days. Allow a further 200 days to heal, re-adapt, and re-train your brain. You will be fine.

Is it damaging your brain? Without a doubt it is physically changing your brain, but you will have to assess whether if there's been damage once you are healed. That's a value judgement you will have to make after a year of so when you can assess what you've got. For example, if you have some negative symptoms that are permanent, you might consider that to be brain damage. 

On the other hand, if you suddenly find you can foretell winning lottery tickets, pick good horses, or hot stocks, that might be considered brain enhancement! lol

Best wishes! You can get through this!  Please post your progress here. 

Thank you for your reply ThisMoment

I am actually having to start my taper at 290 granules.  I was switched to the generic Cymbalta 1 week into my taper which added about 100 granules to the capsules.  I am doing a very slow and gradule taper - I am removing 2 granules every 2 weeks.  I can feel strong withdrawal if I remove more than that.  I don't know if because I have been on ssri's and snri's for 25 years that makes it a longer process to ween off?  It is different for everyone, and even from one med to another it varies.  So that is my plan.  Tonite I am beginning my 7th taper week at -14 granules.  I had some minor head-zapping today.  Sleeping ALOT.  Doesn't help that I live in the NW where we have no sun for weeks at a time.  Anyway.  I am so very glad to have you guys to help me through this.  I want nothing more than to be able to conquer this finally.  The last time I tried to withdraw I did it incorrectly (too quickly) and suffered the worst mental anguish and was horribly suicidal for a few weeks until I was put back on an SNRI.  I beg God for mercy to not let that happen again.  I will do this as long as it takes.  God bless you for being here <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users