• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Papin

Papin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

I just recently watched two films: Prozac Nation, with Christina Ricci, and American Addict, which is a documentary about the U.S.'s dangerous addiction to medications (currently available on Netflix).

I found Prozac Nation problematic for its take on fluoxetine as the drug that "saved" Ricci's character. Yes, it's dated (2000, based on a book published much earlier), but I realize how sensitive I am now to anything that portrays psychotropic drugs as the answer to one's ills.

American Addict shocked and angered me: The USA represents 5% of the world's population, but consumes 50% of the medications prescribed throughout the world. I hate that I live in a country in which so many people die every year (over 100,000) from medications which many are taking AS PRESCRIBED. Deaths from prescription meds are the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. and are more numerous than deaths by illegal drugs and traffic accidents.

The common sense takeaway? If you tell your doctor you have a problem and your doctor's first response is to suggest a drug, YOU NEED A NEW DOCTOR!

I know you all know this already, but I just needed to vent. :)

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Papin

Good post! 

And very often the distraught patient walks into the doctor's office and says, "I need an antidepressant!" And the doctor says okay.

There's a book: "Your Drug May Be Your Problem, Revised Edition: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications" by Peter Breggin and David Cohen.

Reviews- "I wish I had a book like this when I was trying to come off psychiatric drugs. How wonderful that you have provided the guide."

Kate Millett

". . . (it's) a clear, accurate, and thorough look at the dangers of psychiatric drugs, and a prudent outline of what steps to take for those who want to stop taking them."

John Horgan

A few chapter headings-

Psychiatric Drugs- Much Easier to Start Than to Stop

Your Drug May be Your Problem--- But You May be The Last to Know

Adverse Effects of Specific Psychiatric Drugs

Why Doctors Tell Patients So Little

Plan Your Drug Withdrawal

How To Stop Taking Psychiatric Drugs

Withdrawing Your Child from Psychiatric Drugs

Guidelines for Therapists Who Do Not Advocate the use of Psychiatric Drugs

#3 Papin

Papin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yes, that's an excellent book, and Peter Breggin is interviewed extensively in American Addict. All good information!

#4 scared60

scared60

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • why_joining:
    Had a scary incident, now thinking of getting off Cymbalta. I came for advice, support and friendship.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

I was raised half with orthodox doctors and half with homeopathic doctors.  For years I tried to figure out, through natural methods, what the devil was wrong with me.  After I had a break down as a result of accumulated work related stress and a series of deaths in my family, I'd finally had it.  I knew I'd never be same, such a collapse takes part of you.  In 2008 I said WTF and turned myself over to regular doctors ... I was disabled by my fibromyalgia, back pain and mental collapse, the only way to obtain SSD was to go to regular doctors.  I did that, it's been hell ever since and I'm so glad I found this website because it's giving me the courage to start THINKING about to getting off Cymbalta.

I thought, because of the series of deaths that culminated in my mental/physical collapse my continued sadness, crying, lethargy was just the results of that and the constant pain, but since visiting here, I'm really understanding that even tho the loses in my life, both family deaths as well as my own "death" has been pretty steady since around 2000 ... that even tho all of that, I believe my reactions to things now are largely due to Cymbalta.  I lost my 40 y/o son in 2013, will be a year 1/13/14 ... I cry, I miss him, but I did notice there's a hole in my emotional structure that seems to lack something  ... hmmm.  rambling, sorry.

Anyway, I agree with the OP in this topic.  Something has to be done about the doctors but, I'm culpable even reluctantly I have been grabbing hold of the pills offered by doctors.  So WE have to do something to stop this.  It, sadly, falls to us to educate OUR doctors.

#5 Donnaprashad

Donnaprashad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMontgomery Alabama
  • why_joining:
    I want help and support to get off this awful drug.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Yes it is too easy to pop a pill and think you are "fixed." I trusted my doctor when I was out on this drug. Never really thought twice about it. What a mistake that was! Never again will I be so trusting. In fact, I will try anything natural now over manufactured drugs. This experience has taught me a strong lesson. Things that happen in our lives can be so distressing but sometimes we just need to grieve through it. Feel our feelings and then keep going. I know that may sound too simple and it's not that easy. But being on cymbalta actually retarded my emotional development. I'm so glad to be off of this nasty nasty drug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users