#1 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

70 more go. Biggest thing is not being able to focus. Can't read. Can't stay on any task. Been trying to pack up Christmas decorations since New Years day. My LR looks like a bomb exploded in there.

Ppl telling me that 'they' have memory problems (like me). That I am reading 2 much Cymbalta forum info etc.. I have a very supportive hsb and daughter. Our one and only DD is on the autism spectrum. She is an Aspie/Aspurgers. These 2 are my understanding and loving support ppl.

Of course I wouldn't be where I am now with my bead counting had it not been for you ppl here on the Cymbalta forum.

I thank God every day that I found it! Because I can log on here and KNOW y'all UNDERSTAND where I'm coming from. What it is I'm going through. Others try to understand but there is NO way that they CAN.

I just don't want to hear from them how they "think" I feel. I know they mean well. But I am SICK of hearing it. I'm done. Thx y'all. .

Much love & prayers. TheEquusWoman :hug:

Heat wave here today gonna be 50. Think I'm gonna go groom my horse and clean his stall. Horse therapy is always good for me!

Thx for understanding and just being here. This "is" my safe harbor..♥

Please excuse me for rambling but I know here that's ok 2♥

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Ramble away EW. Sounds like you are having a tolerable day. That is great. :)

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

EQWO
I don't think I've seen you have so much fun!!
Have a great day in the stable!

#4 navywife43

navywife43

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

thinking about ya! :)

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Ramble all you want it makes me feel normal knowing I'm not the only one. I watch people's eyes glaze over when I respond to , " how are you today ?".
I don't dare tell them the truth .
I'm 8 weeks & two days into zero Cymbalta & I truly feel that I'm getting worse not better, but I won't give up hope that I will soon be the old happy go lucky gal that I was pre Cymbalta .

It is a huge problem for me because I was the one everyone relied on to be " the life of the party !" & now I'm the opposite & they just don't get it .
I REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM !!! This is my mantra ..
Equuswoman , you take your time weaning off this crap & keep us in touch with your progress please.

Be Happy everyone , we can & will beat this .
X

#6 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

Wagtail, thank you for that post.  It matches so closely to my experience.   With this fog..all I do is ramble.  I've always been considered the "life of the party."  Not I avoid social encounters every chance I get.  My friends call me a "hermit."   The personality changes are unbelievable.  The fog never leaves.  I stare piles of things I need to get done, but I feel like all I can do is look and struggle to pull up the mental resources to do anything productive.    It's very disheartening sometimes.  

My best solution has been to get out as much as possible vs staying in - I feel better once I take those first steps every day.  

I'm "out of it" right now.  I'll avoid boring everyone with my rambling.  :-) 

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Tim

I'm not bored by anything you write. I know what you mean about the detachment regarding production. I have several projects I've started, but there appears to be an element of spirit missing- my belly-fire is out. It's like a thief came in the night, took my motor and replaced it with a doorstop.

For many of us, we know we're alive because we look back at our paths and see the clutter of industry. And every half-mile or so in the rubble there's an elegantly carved Orca, or an essay, or a good book read, or a boat with pristine brightwork, or a clean workshop, or a fit body. And I fear there's a danger in occupying that inertia because those whose character is defined by action and production find themselves in a place of loss. Even craftsmen get the blues.  And for those souls, the inability to keep making a mess is to be without hope, and you can't live there for long.

How to re-kindle the fire. Earlier Donna mentioned something similar- about the volume of tasks to be engaged but no obvious entry, like standing for eternity at the edge of Double-Dutch and never finding a way in to get skipping. Soon Recess is over. During withdrawal I time-travelled a lot, and so did a lot of you. We went to the past and reviewed the dumb things we did- sometimes our time-travel would externalize as we walked through the mall and muttered, "I wish I hadn't said that!" And somebody's head turns and you warp back to now and think, "Frick, I am losing it!"

And then we go to the future and construct losing scenarios based on previous story lines. And so we miss what's between the past and the future, which is the only place where we get to make a mess, get dirty, get tired, and be fulfilled. But with very little scrutiny we see that our engagement with the universe is linear- things happen one-after-the-other, and there's no way to read the book without turning the first page. So I look at the intractable stack and think maybe I'll just do one thing and stay out of the future for the first minute.

#8 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

With y'all on the ramblin', lack of focus, etc! Again, thank you thismoment for a new perspective!!! You are an inspiration!!!! clara

#9 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Gosh "thismoment ", I "feel like I've just read a short story after reading your post .. Very well said & well articulated .. :-)

#10 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

That is exactly what I needed to hear, thismoment.    Something I'm learning to do (based on some things you've said, actually) is to take advantage of the "clear" moments.  I am finding that I am at my best early in the morning until early afternoon.  Then, not so much.  Late at night (it's 12:17 am here), I can find enough quiet to gain some clarity as well.  I am learning that if I don't clearly plan my day with tasks while I have those clear moments, the day is going to be non-productive.   I find that in those foggy moment when I am without a clear plan, I can only focus on ONE thing...and it is difficult for me to multi-task.  Hours can pass and nothing gets done.  

Friday, I practiced my "task list" for the first time, and it was my most productive day to date since I started going through this journey.  I should also say that Friday was probably once of my worst days as far as how I "felt."   I had to interact with quite a few different people throughout the day, and I have to say that I'm very satisfied with all that I accomplished that day.  BUT...had I not planned when I was clear, I wouldn't be able to say that.  

Today, I had no plan.  In a way, I'm ok with that.  I actually "felt" fine until about 3 pm.  I went to the gym, cleaned the house, and got caught up on some email backlog.  At the end of the day (here we are) the feedback I have for myself is..."Tim, you need to keep making tomorrow's plan today while you have clarity."   

I guess I'm saying that "out loud" as a means of holding myself accountable.   I don't know if that is helpful to anyone else, but it was helpful to me.  Even if it helps one.

Ok, I'm putting this zombie head to bed and waking up with clarity tomorrow for some planning!    :-) 

#11 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

Great idea Timbo , I find that the days I DON'T push myself to keep going, I suffer more from anxiety .
My worst times are usually around late afternoon , early evening .

I had a dreadful day yesterday, so today I made sure I had a full day organized & here it is 7.30pm & I've had dinner , had my shower & watching tv.
I made it through another day , I rode the waves through the rough & made it into calm waters .

My zaps are almost non existent now & the ravenous appetite has eased , so have the headaches.
I'm still having problems with my balance & fuzzy head, short term memory is still bad as is my concentration. My bloating still remains my biggest discomfort, as far as physical feelings are concerned.
I'm still very emotional & have very little energy but I'm praying that I might be coming out the other side of this journey . I won't get my hopes up because I do realize that I will most likely have relapses , so I will be prepared .
In the meantime I will take any good moment / day I can get.

Thinking of everyone 24/7 from here down under ... Stay strong guys & gals.
Xx

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

Tim, thank you- what an enjoyable post! 

As you've discovered, multi-tasking is a kind of contradiction. While it's possible to do a variety of things within a given time-frame, it's impossible to do them all well. Our focus has a fixed bandwidth, and the more we divide 100%, the smaller each percentage gets: If you are doing five things equally well, the best efficiency you can hope for on each task is 20%, and that's poor performance on any scale.

On Friday, it sounds like you met a number of people one-at-a-time, and carried the full bandwidth of your focus between events. That should produce a favourable result. And Saturday you moved between tasks in a linear fashion with full focus, not attempting to do them all simultaneously.

There's a great little book on focus, and the myth of multi-tasking, and it's this:

"Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence" by Daniel Goleman

#13 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Yes Timbo, it is helpful! I keep telling myself wake up, get up and show up for my life! Hubby often comes home after a long night of dispatching whiny truck drivers and asks what I have planned for the day. Some days I plan and some not, and that is not good for me! I do know that! I have always been self motivated, somewhat a multitasker, with a "git 'er done" kind of attitude, and it shows up sometimes, but not often lately. I tell myself I'm still in the healing process and not to push too hard! I think I am going to have to make a daily plan and accomplish what I can and know that there is tomorrow to finish whatever I can't get done on that day. Make sense? I do want to help thismoment in his endeavor to help others with some kind of timeline on w/ds and what happens during that time. During times of clarity, I think about it and wonder just how did I get through Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, decorating, wrapping and all that goes along with the holidays. It all seems a blur! I made it through, enjoyed family, cooking, etc. but can't seem to get to the "meat" of just what and how I felt during that time! maybe that's a good thing?! What I do know is this forum has been a life line for me! Yes, we do talk to ourselves while posting here and I think that has helped me! I wish all here a blessed Sunday! Hugs and prayers!!   clara :)

#14 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Great idea Timbo , I find that the days I DON'T push myself to keep going, I suffer more from anxiety .
My worst times are usually around late afternoon , early evening .

I had a dreadful day yesterday, so today I made sure I had a full day organized & here it is 7.30pm & I've had dinner , had my shower & watching tv.
I made it through another day , I rode the waves through the rough & made it into calm waters .

My zaps are almost non existent now & the ravenous appetite has eased , so have the headaches.
I'm still having problems with my balance & fuzzy head, short term memory is still bad as is my concentration. My bloating still remains my biggest discomfort, as far as physical feelings are concerned.
I'm still very emotional & have very little energy but I'm praying that I might be coming out the other side of this journey . I won't get my hopes up because I do realize that I will most likely have relapses , so I will be prepared .
In the meantime I will take any good moment / day I can get.

Thinking of everyone 24/7 from here down under ... Stay strong guys & gals.
Xx

Yes!  That's exactly it!  I hadn't thought about it until you wrote that.  When I don't push myself to keep going, the guilt starts to build...then the anxiety.  I have alway had a general anxiety, but (when I am NOT taking anything) I have learned my coping strategies.  Since taking this drug, however, it seems that I have learned even more about myself.    

I enjoy working out and keeping up with statistics (body fat lost, muscle mass gained, etc).   Information (data) is how I am motivated, and I am very competitive with myself.  I think..."if I lost 1 pound of body fat this week by burning ___ calories, I bet I can come up with a way to burn an extra 100 calories/day by doing something else (ie jumping rope).    Just as anyone knows, you have to push your body a little beyond what you WANT in order to bring change.  

That is the same approach I am starting to take with this withdrawal process.  I know that my body is resisting change - when I don't FEEL good, I want to just sit or lay down or fall into some easy distraction.   Now that I know that about myself, I am putting processes into place to push myself (and my brain) beyond what it wants.   I think (for lack of a better term) this drug has "brainwashed" us.   The more we allow it to control us, the more we are prisoners to the effects.   Dropping beads is just part of the solution.  There is also the need to "exercise" new habits.  For me, making a daily schedule of priorities/tasks is one way of doing that.   Another, is scheduling physical activity.  Another is getting up and getting out of the house - even when everything in my body is saying "don't move - you might get sick out there."   I am learning to differentiate between the truths my head is telling me and the lies.  

Also, I have built in times to allow myself to rest and be a "zombie."   But those times are the reward AFTER I have done the things that need to be done.  And, as you said Wagtail, that affects my anxiety level.   When I finish the day with all of the tasks checked off - even when I didn't feel so well, there is a sense of accomplishment and peace.  The next day seems to have much less anxiety in it, because I'm not continually trying to catch up.  

Thank you for the post!  It helped me put things into perspective.  :-)   

I'm sorry to hear you are still having the bloating and discomfort.  It sounds as if you have done an amazing job of figuring out how to manage through all of this, though.  Did you have your appointment with your doctor regarding the bloating.  Forgive me if you already posted that somewhere.   I haven't been on here as much lately.   

#15 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Tim, thank you- what an enjoyable post! 

As you've discovered, multi-tasking is a kind of contradiction. While it's possible to do a variety of things within a given time-frame, it's impossible to do them all well. Our focus has a fixed bandwidth, and the more we divide 100%, the smaller each percentage gets: If you are doing five things equally well, the best efficiency you can hope for on each task is 20%, and that's poor performance on any scale.

On Friday, it sounds like you met a number of people one-at-a-time, and carried the full bandwidth of your focus between events. That should produce a favourable result. And Saturday you moved between tasks in a linear fashion with full focus, not attempting to do them all simultaneously.

There's a great little book on focus, and the myth of multi-tasking, and it's this:

"Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence" by Daniel Goleman

I am jumping onto Amazon right after this to order that book (I just put it on my "task" list!  :-) 

Regarding "multi-tasking," I couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, I have one of those kinds of jobs that is a multi-tasking job by definition.   I have to build in flexibility to my daily plan, because things can change in a second.   Fortunately, Friday was a day that didn't come with any unexpected interruptions.  That is seldom the case.    But, I have been doing this for almost 20 years, so (when I am thinking clearly) I am able to juggle things pretty well.   And I am typically pretty energized by the nature of that system.  

Part of the reason I wanted to stop taking Cymbalta was that it seemed to fog things up too much.  I was not as quick on my feet.  Even people I work with have noticed and expressed concerns to me regarding my lack of focus.   I had hoped that the less of the medication that was in my system, the more my concentration would increase.  Little did I know that the withdrawal symptoms were going to present a whole new set of issues in addition to the fogginess.   But I think I have a plan for  managing that situation better.  We'll see how that goes!  :-)  

Thank you for the book suggestion.  I'm going to order it today.   :-) 

#16 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yes Timbo, it is helpful! I keep telling myself wake up, get up and show up for my life! Hubby often comes home after a long night of dispatching whiny truck drivers and asks what I have planned for the day. Some days I plan and some not, and that is not good for me! I do know that! I have always been self motivated, somewhat a multitasker, with a "git 'er done" kind of attitude, and it shows up sometimes, but not often lately. I tell myself I'm still in the healing process and not to push too hard! I think I am going to have to make a daily plan and accomplish what I can and know that there is tomorrow to finish whatever I can't get done on that day. Make sense? I do want to help thismoment in his endeavor to help others with some kind of timeline on w/ds and what happens during that time. During times of clarity, I think about it and wonder just how did I get through Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, decorating, wrapping and all that goes along with the holidays. It all seems a blur! I made it through, enjoyed family, cooking, etc. but can't seem to get to the "meat" of just what and how I felt during that time! maybe that's a good thing?! What I do know is this forum has been a life line for me! Yes, we do talk to ourselves while posting here and I think that has helped me! I wish all here a blessed Sunday! Hugs and prayers!!   clara :)

Clara, I think that sounds like an excellent plan!  I understand what you mean.  I have always been a very self-motived person, but there has certainly been a drain on that source of energy since starting Cymbalta.  

Thismoment and I are working on the template for the timeline.  We are working through some logistics to make it easy to use/follow.  Regardless, in the meantime, we have this wonderful way of sharing experiences and getting ideas which is priceless.   I do have to say that as awful as the experience has been, I have learned more about myself because of it - and in such a short amount of time.  Plus, I have met what has to be one of the most amazing groups of people all in one place.  For that, I consider myself fortunate to have had the experience and look forward to the stories of the benefits gained from each person as he/she emerges on the other side.  I have a feeling there are going to be some pretty amazing stories!  

Thank you so much for your post.  :-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users