• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Katgirl

Katgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I have been in cymbalta for about 5 months now for uncontrollable mood swings.

It is time to stop taking it. The mood swings are gone and I feel great! Except now feel emotionless and as if I'm in a constant fog. I am unable to express emotion for anything.

I have spoken with my doctor and he agrees. I am supposed to ween off of this drug.

However; I have decided to go cold turkey and just get it over with. I know there will be some withdrawal especially since my body takes to meds very easily. I have read the withdrawal symptoms and am a concerned.
I am on day 3 and am beginning to feel a bit anxious and restless.

Has anyone else quit cold turkey and had any success? How long was your withdrawal? Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your time:
Kat

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Katgirl..Welcome aboard. Your questions are often asked on this site. Throughout these forums you will find many stories of the various ways people have quite cymbalta. Knowing you want to quit is good. Quitting on the other hand involves courage and strength. The way you choose to quit involves a long journey of some unpleasant withdrawl symptoms. To receive answers to your specific questions, you should read posts from ..Thismoment. . Thismoment is extremely knowledgeable with great information on how to quit with a system which enables this process to be tolerable. Search this forum for stories from others and you will stumble on the answers to your questions. Hoping this is helpful. .and Good Luck!

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Katgirl hi.

Many have quit cold turkey with varying results. Some report symptoms that are easily tolerated, some report symptoms that are barely tolerated, and some report symptoms that are so horrendous they need to go back on the medication to stabilize, and then plan a different withdrawal exit.

Hopefully your withdrawal will be an easy one. You will know in a day or two.

If the cold turkey withdrawal is strong, it could last between 4-6 weeks before it calms down. Certainly the bead-counting, slow, linear taper produces gentler side-effects, but it's not for everybody.

Just know you're not going crazy and you're not going to die. Have someone you can talk to who will support you and not judge. Keep your physician in the loop.  Post your progress daily, and let us know how it goes.

#4 Katgirl

Katgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thank you carleeta and this moment. Both very good tips. I will keep everyone updated!

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Carleeta, thank you for the kind words. Best wishes to you on your withdrawal; you sound strong. I enjoy your posts.

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Katgirl

What was your Cymbalta dosage for the 5 months?

Once you've been off the Cymbalta for 5 days, it's 99.9% out of your system (that's the withdrawal segment, technically). There is damage to the brain, and the continuing symptoms are from your brain working to repair itself and adapt to its new chemical reality. 

Doctors distinguish between brain damage (permanent- like in a car crash or due to multiple concussions), and damage to the brain as caused by antidepressants. 

#7 Katgirl

Katgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Thismoment...30mg once per day (I took at night).

What kind of brain damage?

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Katgirl

NOT brain damage (that won't heal); damage to the brain can heal. It sounds like unhelpful semantics, but the distinction is critical.

Antidepressants physically change the brain, and while most of that will heal in the months following withdrawal, sometimes the healing isn't total, and some side-effects remain. That's called chronic antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Here is a place to start your research.

http://www.madinamer...n-acknowledged/

Please consider talking with you physician in candid detail, regarding stopping this medication. Dr. Shipko has a piece on "Informed Consent" that you can access via that link.

#9 Katgirl

Katgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thank you so much! You are a plethora if knowledge. I'm going to check out that site now!

#10 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Katgirl, ditto to what Carleeta and this moment have said! This is not easy but doable!!!! Keep us posted as we are all in your corner and here for you! Hugs and prayers for a smooth withdrawal!   clara :)

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Katgirl, when reading the article Thismoment posted for you, please do not take it too negatively. Always try and keep an open mind about this article. It is this persons opinion from working with people, yet is has some important information which some should consider that may or may not happen.  Nothing is black and white..there are shades of gray. Just picture yourself looking a an black and white photo and then realizing there are all sorts of grays which we tend not to notice.  For me it was a good article to read and reflect, and then again it was an article that I refer to as "not set in stone". When looking at things, as usual, "is the glass half empty or half full?" will be your best approach.  I have read here some members look at it and get discouraged, others look at it and fear, and others turn it into a negative and all of a sudden reflect the bad things on themselves, and then there are others that have just read it and feel it was knowledgeable.  That being said, my hope for you is to read is with an open mind.  I do hope this helps when you read this.  Have a good day. And a penny for your thoughts is this, When you see a penny on the ground pick it up because this penny is a tear from heaven.  A tear from heaven is from someone who loves you and is watching over you.  I will apologize if this statement does not correspond with your religious beliefs.  But offer it to all.  Good Luck....

#12 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thismoment, thank you for the compliment on my strength and enjoying my posts. I try not to get too deep into thought, therefore keep a positive thought each day somewhere in my head and most of the time it just pops in there to help reduce my anxiety. I get an uplift as I help others which takes me out of my own mind and pushes myself away from turning inward. You are a gift to all those who are fearing, and holding on each day through their withdrawal symptoms. You will continue to help others in the future as you have in the past. Keep going. there is a forum waiting for you. :)

#13 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Right on Carleeta , I could not have gotten to this stage without " Thismoment " he/she ( just realized I don't know this ) will never fully understand that the knowledge he/she shares is much needed, & most people like me are too sick to go looking for it.

This moment has been MY physician & guided me through my maze & I pray will still be here as I continue to get lost & need clear thinking guidance .
Xx

#14 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Wagtail I'm happy to hear you say that about Thismoment. The knowledge and patience this member has goes over and above. Thismoment won't steer you wrong as I feel the info thismoment gives is solid? Glad thismoment is your md on here. Good Luck my friend.

#15 Katgirl

Katgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

It's 7:00 in the morning, today is day 4 cymbalta free. I have a busy day and I'm not sure what cymbalta has in store for me but I know I will get through it with the support of all of you and my family.

As yesterday went on, I began getting more and more anxious and my legs were restless. I had a bit of mood swings but nothing too terrible. (I've been through hell & back a few times in my life, so that was nothing).

I will keep you all updated!
Thank you so much for all the kind and encouraging words and support. It means a lot!

#16 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Katgirl, thank you for your update. Feeling the great strength you have and that is wonderful. Yes there will be mood swings and us females definitely can relate to them. Becoming anxious is also a part of this withdrawl symptom. If you can, try to do whatever you can to keep your anxiety down, easier said than done right? For some they are able to keep it a a level which is tolerable. It sounds as though you are one of them. Great strength and attitude you have. Concerning the issues of your legs, I couldn't help you in that area. I'm sure others including Thismoment can throw out some imput for you. Keep going and post anytime you need to. All supporting you here..Good luck my friend..

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Katgirl, restless leg as it is called is due to a loss of magnesium and calcium when people are under stressful conditions. In order to keep cellualar levels appropriate many (including myself) take 100 mg of magnesium and 100 mg of calcium 3 times daily. I know in my case it has stopped the rls completely. You can usually get combo mg and ca tablets at the health food store. One thing, get the good kind. It should be amino acid chelated mg and ca. The oxides and chlorides of these two are very hard on the stomach. The amino acid ones are absorbed the best and are easy on the tummy.

#18 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Fishinghat..Thank you for your reply to Katgirl concerning her leg issues. Surely she will be appreciative of your support. You and others are the wonderful gits to be had here on this forum...

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thank you very much. So are you Carleeta. You are a great asset to this forum and much appreciated.

#20 grandmax2

grandmax2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLOCKPORT, NEW YORK

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Katgirl, I am at day 8 of going cold turkey. the withdrawal symptoms are brutal, I had such a bad day that I have reconsidered my approach and am going to begin the weening process. I am going to start tonight with my first half dose and see what transpires tomorrow. All I know is that something has to give here, I consider myself a very strong person but this has beat me down. Good luck to you.

#21 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Grandmax2. 8 days cold turkey can be extremely challenging for which you had stated, in fact you stated brutal? Reconsidering your approach may be more doable. The weaning process has been used by some members on this forum. Since the members here are so wonderfully supportive, I'm sure they will be sharing their input on your choice. We are all here to help in one way or another and my suggestion to you is to read through the forums and focus on posts by Thismoment and Fishinghat. They will give there opinions based on all the knowledge they have acquired. Good luck my friend. Keep us posted on you progress as it unfolds.

#22 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

THAT sounds like a better plan! Hang in there! You WILL beat this thing!!! We're here for you! Keep us posted!  hugs and prayers!  clara

#23 Katgirl

Katgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Hello everyone...it's day 5 cymbalta free, yesterday it put a small damper in my busy day and had to rearrange some things. Yesterday until about noon, it was a bit rough as u couldn't stay out of the bathroom.

Once I got through that, the rest of the day was pretty good and was able to continue and still get al I had planned.

I know I'm not out of the woods just yet. I expect the harsh withdrawals to start within the next day, as I know my body and mind and how it will react.

As for the restless leg, it's almost gone, I'm not feeling the need to constantly walk as I did the other night.

I actually feel more like 'ME'', more than I have in a very long time. I don't feel like I'm in a hazy fog and I can actually feel and not so emotionless.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. It really means a lot.

Here's hoping today is a good one!

Hugs,
~Kat

#24 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Kat

Day 5 CT! "Feeling more like 'ME'" is great! The fog will lift and the emotions will flood back like the returning tide. And that is the part of this show you don't want to miss!

It's day-to-day now to see how strong this will be. After 5 days the drug is 99.9% gone, and now it's adapt and repair time, and that could get rough; hopefully your will be smooth, as everyone gets something different (like at Christmas!). 

Keep us posted.

#25 Tinydancer047

Tinydancer047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

I took Cymbalta for over five years, and was taking 60 mg twice a day when I decided that I didn't want to be taking it anymore. I took my last dose of Cymbalta almost one year ago (February 1, 2013). I quit taking Cymbalta "cold turkey", and it was the most difficult thing I have ever done! However, I wouldn't do it any differently.
It made me dizzy, impulsive, angry, insensitive, and extremely tired. I warned my friends and family what I was doing, and went on the bumpy road of withdrawal. I didn't start feeling 'normal' until three months after my last dose. The effect it had on my brain was the worst. I couldn't turn my head because it caused such a terrible sensation. The best description for it is a zapping that feels similar to an electrical shock inside my brain. The zapping took almost two months to subside. The fatigue and mood swings took a little longer to stabilize. Everyone that I was close to told me that I looked and acted much better after three months of quitting. I became easier to get along with, and found happiness in the little things that used to not mean anything while I was medicated. I still will get a zapping once in a great while, but I'd rather have that than be a slave to a terrible drug that alters every aspect of my life!!
I wish you all the best, and hope that you can get through this.

#26 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

I took Cymbalta for over five years, and was taking 60 mg twice a day when I decided that I didn't want to be taking it anymore. I took my last dose of Cymbalta almost one year ago (February 1, 2013). I quit taking Cymbalta "cold turkey", and it was the most difficult thing I have ever done! However, I wouldn't do it any differently.
It made me dizzy, impulsive, angry, insensitive, and extremely tired. I warned my friends and family what I was doing, and went on the bumpy road of withdrawal. I didn't start feeling 'normal' until three months after my last dose. The effect it had on my brain was the worst. I couldn't turn my head because it caused such a terrible sensation. The best description for it is a zapping that feels similar to an electrical shock inside my brain. The zapping took almost two months to subside. The fatigue and mood swings took a little longer to stabilize. Everyone that I was close to told me that I looked and acted much better after three months of quitting. I became easier to get along with, and found happiness in the little things that used to not mean anything while I was medicated. I still will get a zapping once in a great while, but I'd rather have that than be a slave to a terrible drug that alters every aspect of my life!!
I wish you all the best, and hope that you can get through this.

tinydanacer, thank you so   much for your post It was just what I needed to read today. I am so glad that you are now off this nasty drug, I couldn't do it cold turkey. I am taking it one day, one bead at a time. That's the only way I will ever rid myself of this poison.

Insensitive and impulsive...wow yes I've had that going on even with my slow weaning off. I haven't had the brain zaps that so many members speak of yourself included. I hope that I do not. But come what may I have hope to be Cymbalta free in the future.

Again thanks for  your  post of hope. It helped me to realize that there is just that "hope"....

God Bless you,

TheEquusWoman :hug:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users