#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Well here is a new study for use to think about. SSRI cause increase risk of stroke.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24477492

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

A recent test (on rats) shows that antidepressants (including ssris) affected 10 genes in the frontal cortex of rats. Six of those genes were down regulated and 4 were up regulated. This effected such things as protein metabolism and survival mechanisms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24458505

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

They just keep coming. This research links long-term use of ssris to control anxiety but increase some forms of fear mechanisms by decreasing the function of some neuroreceptors. This was a really deep article with some shocking assumptions. Long-term ssri use causing increase fear generation sure makes sense to me after what I have been through. Interesting reading. Let me know how you guys interpret this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23732229

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Last one. This research documents long-term effects of fluoxetine (prozac) on the brain. This ssri modifies the glutamate synapses in the forebrain and changes individual nerve cell shape and structures. Glutamate is a nerotransmitter linked to fear and panic attacks. IT IS THE MOST POTENT EXCITER NEUROTRANSMITTER N THE BRAIN. I am going out on a limb here but this would totally explain the great difficulty in quiting ssris as this would cause tremendous anxiety, fear and panic. They mad no comment on if it heals with time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23675317

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

A recent test (on rats) shows that antidepressants (including ssris) affected 10 genes in the frontal cortex of rats. Six of those genes were down regulated and 4 were up regulated. This effected such things as protein metabolism and survival mechanisms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24458505

I think the tests should be done on the docs, leave the rats alone ....we'd surely get more knowledgeable docs and better care if they were the ones at risk ....

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Welcome, TryinginFL! And thank you for the "like"!

This website and the people here has been a lifesaver for me .... I got off cymbalta 9 weeks ago, cold turkey ... It's been oh so hard on many days, but now I'm to a point where the good days outnumber the hard ones ....

Please keep coming back, and. .... If/when you're ready, post a bit about yourself and what you're doing WRT cymbalta ....

#7 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Another reason as to 'why' I want off this poison...luv U fishin'hat :hug:

#8 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

Hi fishinghat , just dropped by to check on everyone & saw your links. To tell the truth I'm too scared to read them , in case it makes my fear worse. I already know how my anxiety & fear has worsened by being in Cymbalta for ten years .
ATM , I think if a witch doctor pointed a bone @ me & told me I was going to die ..I WOULD ACTUALLY DIE ...

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hello Wagtail, just wanted to say that you made me laugh so hard with your witch doctor story.

I needed that, my first laugh today. 

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hi fishinghat , just dropped by to check on everyone & saw your links. To tell the truth I'm too scared to read them , in case it makes my fear worse. I already know how my anxiety & fear has worsened by being in Cymbalta for ten years .
ATM , I think if a witch doctor pointed a bone @ me & told me I was going to die ..I WOULD ACTUALLY DIE ...

Hi wagtail...I can't get my personal message function to work...so am adding what I've figured out works for me WRT the anxiety...

L-theanine does seem to help...I started at a low dose of 100 mg in the a.m., plus another if I feel anxiety rising...then, because my worst anxiety seems to happen at bedtime, thus causing me insomnia, I tried a higher dose...about an hour before bedtime I've been taking 400 mg....I've been sleeping great...only thing I notice is vivid dreams...nothing bad, just vivid colors, actually pleasant...

5-htp doesn't help my anxiety at all....in fact, when I tried it on its own, it seemed to make it worse....so, I'm taking it only in conjunction with tyrosine...to supplement my dopamine levels, which helps me with energy and to reduce the anhedonia stuff......they say to take both together in a 1 to 10 ratio...for example, in the a.m. I take 1,500 mg of tyrosine, and 150mg of 5-htp...that also seems to be helping...

Your witch doctor line is a classic...when I meet with my own witch doc this Friday I'm going to imagine what he'd look like with a bone through his nose and then bust out laughing, I'm sure....

#11 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Fivenotions , thank you I appreciate it .. Will get myself some ASAP . I don't want to keep using Zanax even though I'm only using it @ 2mg when NECESARY . I don't want to get use to using it .
:-))

#12 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

Wow fishinghat! That's some really horrifying info (what I could understand of it)!!! I have so many friends and fam on antids', just scares the crap outta me!!! Thanks once again for sharing info, loving support, and laughter with us all!  clara

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

It is sad Clara to think what these medicines are doing to our bodies. It explains a lot about why such terrible withdrawals and why some have permanent psychological damage from these meds such as severe fear and panic. You can bet there will be a lot more research and a lot more time will pass before tis subject comes to a head.

#14 Brodie

Brodie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:38 AM

Gosh that is all so scary :( I have been on antidepressants for 18 years!! More than half my life.. What if my brain doesn't know how to be happy, feel normal and sane without them?? Terrifying thought, we really want to get pregnant but I will not conceive while on this drug!!! I guess all I can do is keep weening.. Only time will tell..

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I agree with your decision to get off the crapalta before you get pregnant. As far as the brain not healing. That is a possibility, especially as long as you have been on this medicine but remember there are people out there (and on this site) that have been through this without developing any issues. Once they are off they are fine. Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet. Hang in there and we will get through this together, one day at a time. Keep us posted.

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Brodie, I forgot to mention when I read your introductory post, we have another relatively new member, Ctina, who is newly pregnant...you might be able to share a lot with each other! Wow, does this mean all of us can be sort of honorary aunts and uncles?

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

They just keep coming. This research links long-term use of ssris to control anxiety but increase some forms of fear mechanisms by decreasing the function of some neuroreceptors. This was a really deep article with some shocking assumptions. Long-term ssri use causing increase fear generation sure makes sense to me after what I have been through. Interesting reading. Let me know how you guys interpret this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23732229

I just noticed today that I forgot to mention that in this article it mentions that ssris also damage the nerves in the amygdala. The amygdala

is located deep on the brain and helps controls memory and emotion swings.

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

There is a new research article which links ssri and/or snri usage to decreased bone density and a higher risk of fragile fracture.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24566587

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Osteopenia....For which, of course, they put me on yet another drug....

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Osteopenia....For which, of course, they put me on yet another drug....

Are you kidding me? That is terrible. Do you think it is from the cymbalta? If it is from cymbalta it should reverse itself.

#21 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Fi

Are you kidding me? That is terrible. Do you think it is from the cymbalta? If it is from cymbalta it should reverse itself.

I can't be sure....I fall into the "at risk" category for osteoporosis ....mother and grandmother had it, I'm small boned...and(was) a smoker...also have blue eyes which I heard somewhere is a factor....

At this point, I'm willng to blame all of my ills on cymbalta....

#22 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Ah yes the rat studies... One word: YIKES 

I am not too surprised by the perceived outcomes. I kp. going back to the fact that there is no tangible evidence on exactly how SSNRI, SSRI etc. work on the brain. From your research as well as my own over the years, I believe that we are no further along with the rx treatment of depression and chronic pain than we were with MIOAs (brain zap!). Exception being the pharmcos, as their profits are enormous. Occasionally I get a little OCD :blink: and look to see if I have any investments in these companies--IRA portfolio. I can say no I do not. Please don't misunderstand I am not anti-medication. However, as you all know b/c you too are on this support group, some drugs are just evil. I'm big on evidenced based practices. That is why I am here with you all. :D

Forgive me-newbie and day 8 of no CYMBALTA!

Thanks to God-like for the research.

#23 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

To Brodie: If you happened to read my post I should quantify evil drugs. In my view they are the reason I have wasted some of the best years of my life. Dependence due to fear of falling apart. You are wise to try and not get pregnant while having this type of drug in your system...my opinion. The smart folks in this group are going to help us. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users