#1 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

HI I am new here so hello everyone.

Today is my ninth day of Cymbalta withdrawal, cold turkey. I am glad that I found you all because "the professionals", namely my psychiatrist deny that there are any withdrawal symptoms from Cymbalta; rather that what I am experiencing are symptoms of my illness coming back.

I do not recall brainzaps, profuse sweating, itching behind my eyeballs, all over body pains and the  myriad other symptoms that you are all familiar with prior to starting Cymbalta - but have been reassured by my psychiatrist that these are not physical or neurological withdrawal symptoms, they are psychological.

What a crock of shit.

I suggested he took some. He laughed. I then asked him if he had ever cured anyone. He looked uncomfortable and wisely informed me that psychiatry was more of an art then medicine. I suggested to him he might be more suited to prescribe crayolas than psychotropic medication.

I have done my fair share of withdrawing from substances. There is no doubt in my mind that Cymbalta has the worst withdrawal symptoms of anything I have had to withdraw from, a title previously held by Effexor, which of course is an SNRI - of course this is not a coincidence.

It is very distressing that the medical services have no experience of Cymbalta withdrawal. It is patently obvious to anyone that has had to withdraw from this medication that there is a big problem withdrawing from this stuff. It adds insult to injury that medical professionals are simply unaware of what a nightmare this Cymbalta is. It is condescending and dangerous that they tell me this is psychological  

I am determined to beat this. It is the most difficult thing I have ever done by a large measure. 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

What a crappy dr. Maybe he should read the medical journals some time.

#3 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

I think the docs need to be PAYING MEMBERS to this forum! Paying all of us for our pain and suffering! Hahaha! Doesn't hurt to dream, I guess!   :blink: :wacko: :unsure: :angry:  clara

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Welcome! You are completely correct, your shrink is the one with "psychological issues"! Everything you're experiencing is real, we here can attest to that.

Perhaps it's time to get a new shrink?

You can get off this stuff, and we're here to help.

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Welcome, BLDad...I would certainly stop seeing that shrink!  It is unbelievable that Drs are so clueless as to the withdrawal of the crap they prescribe.  I have never been through anything like this either but everyone here is so helpful - I am so happy that I have found this forum.  I also went cold turkey about 3 1/2 weeks ago and things are slowing starting to get better.  I am extremely lethargic and still get an occasional headache or experience what I call a "fuzzy brain" for lack of a better description.  The weird dreams are with me every nite, but are not nitemares.

This is definitely not a fun trip, but at least I have stopped with the constant crying and feeling like my head would explode!  We are all here to help each other and vent if you need to....I feel better after I write about what I have been experiencing.

Please keep us informed as to how you are coming along.

#6 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

Thank you f, C, F, T for the support. Unfortunately finding another psychiatrist  isn't an option where I live. There isn't one. 

Day 10 of cold turkey today. Last night was horrendous "feeling like my head would explode" sort of describes it. I started to panic that I would never feel right again. I looked at some posts on the forum and saw that this was common. Fingers crossed I guess.

The only thing I can do is ask my self if I can get through until the end of today. I guess I can,but it is by no means easy.

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

You are in the hardest part of withdrawal right now...don't give up, because you're almost at a key turning point.... The first 2 weeks were my worst, for example....it was like a crescendo.....up through about days10-12, the worst....and a couple of times I felt like I was going to die....I mostly laid in bed, curled in a fetal position, surrounded in a pillow fort to cushion my body, every cell of which was in pain....I kep ice packs all over my head to numb the headache...

Then, I felt like a fever had broken, and the worst began to subside....I started getting brief but wonderful "windows" of clarity and Everything you're experiencing is real, we here can attest to that.physically feeling better....the s/e continued, in a myriad of types, but by then I'd sort of gotten to know them...and they came one or two at a time, in lessening intensity..they'd become my "frenemies" ....and I knew what things to use to minimize them....

Weeks 3 through now, my 10th week of cold turkey, are manageable....with some really excellent days, or even half-days, mixed in.

Here are a few things for you to consider.....

Be as gentle on yourself as possible....minimize any stress you can, reduce your commitments and social obligations, get as much rest as you can, and read as much on this website as you can....what you're going through is real, it has been documented and it can be dealt with....you'll make it!

Is going back on the cymbalta, and then using the bead counting method to taper more slowly an option? This would allow you to stabilize and minimize the S/es as much as possible.

Do you have a support network of friends and/or family who know what you're doing? If it would help them to understand what you're doing and feeling, and that it's not "just you" (including your doc), you could show them some of the posts in this site...

Are you using any nutritional supplements and a diet that emphasizes the foods that are the most helpful in this process? There are some great discussions of both of these here on this site. These have been essential to me... Omega 3 fish oil, magnesium, high potency daily vitamins and a complete B complex. Also a good detox tea and lots of water. Etc. etc...

If you're currently working, would it be possible for you to take some vacation or other time off during this early part of WD, which is the most challenging?

And, if you are a person of prayer, pray! Or if you're more comfortable with the AA higher power, turn to it ....

You can do this!

#8 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

A great post and humour <I luved the Crayola remark and your offer of Cymb to the Dr>ha ha .  Now tell us the mg dose you were taking and why you bravely went c/t . Sure you will conquer this and we are all here to prompt you along .Yes the w/d symptoms will mimic setbacks as in gloom and anger etc -Keep us posted

#9 Ctina

Ctina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hi Im pretty new here also, I've been withdrawing for around 18 days, beginning to loose count.. What I wouldn't do for a normal day and a nights sleep! There should be warnings on the package that this is addictive and you will go thru hell to get off. I'm going cold Turkey after 3 years because I am pregnant. One doctor said stay on one doc said get off. What kind of advice is that..I'm sorry for your pain, but commend you on your will! Good luck, there are so many of us here, if only we could prevent this for those who are in a weak state of mind, and are scared having no where to turn, but to cymbalta. Thanks for your insight I'm not feeling so alone in all off this.

#10 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

JMO but a lot of the "professionals" should read them fishinghat...sorry but I'm having a pissy day...

I love that I can come to this forum and share with others here whatever is on my mind and heart. A day of joy and happiness or a day when I feel as if somebody has indeed "pissed in my Cheerios"....

I am accepted for who and what I am and not judged by anyone. I like it here. I am glad that I found this group of wonderful ppl. Ppl who can r/t what it is that I have going on during this time of w/d.

Much love and prayers for all here.

TheEquuswoman :hug:

What a crappy dr. Maybe he should read the medical journals some time.

#11 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

HI I am new here so hello everyone.

Today is my ninth day of Cymbalta withdrawal, cold turkey. I am glad that I found you all because "the professionals", namely my psychiatrist deny that there are any withdrawal symptoms from Cymbalta; rather that what I am experiencing are symptoms of my illness coming back.

I do not recall brainzaps, profuse sweating, itching behind my eyeballs, all over body pains and the  myriad other symptoms that you are all familiar with prior to starting Cymbalta - but have been reassured by my psychiatrist that these are not physical or neurological withdrawal symptoms, they are psychological.

What a crock of shit.

I suggested he took some. He laughed. I then asked him if he had ever cured anyone. He looked uncomfortable and wisely informed me that psychiatry was more of an art then medicine. I suggested to him he might be more suited to prescribe crayolas than psychotropic medication.

I have done my fair share of withdrawing from substances. There is no doubt in my mind that Cymbalta has the worst withdrawal symptoms of anything I have had to withdraw from, a title previously held by Effexor, which of course is an SNRI - of course this is not a coincidence.

It is very distressing that the medical services have no experience of Cymbalta withdrawal. It is patently obvious to anyone that has had to withdraw from this medication that there is a big problem withdrawing from this stuff. It adds insult to injury that medical professionals are simply unaware of what a nightmare this Cymbalta is. It is condescending and dangerous that they tell me this is psychological  

I am determined to beat this. It is the most difficult thing I have ever done by a large measure. 

Hi and welcome to the support forum. I was so glad that I found this site when looking for a way to rid myself of this poison called Cymbalta. I did the CT and it was not pretty. Did the method given me by my pain physician and it didn't work either. I then found the bead counting method and am now on my way to freedom from this nasty drug.

I stopped morphine sulfate ER under physician supervision and was given a med to lessen the w/d symptoms but this was still a horrid 3 weeks coming off this narcotic. I have to say as bad as that w/d was this Cymbalta has been 100X worse for me.

Glad that you're here and hope you will share your experience with us.

TheEquusWoman :hug:

#12 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

Welcome bldad...you are absolutely right. YOU Hit the nail on the nail.

Now its time for you to heal yourself and you will be supported from wonderful members on this form..You vent away because everything you say or post we are here for you..God Bless you..

#13 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thank you all for you responses. I would have responded yesterday but I could not type. I would also have liked to respond to each of you in person today, including those who PMed me but am not feeling too great.

Unfortunately I am doing this alone. I have no friends of family to support me as a Cymbalta year of not talking to people and staring at a TV screen alienated me from everyone. Hopefully when this has subsided and I am no longer withdrawing from this terrible muck I will be able to build some bridges. In the meanwhile I thank you wonderful people for supporting me. 

I stopped cold turkey simply because I had enough of Cymbalta. It cost me my marriage and access to the children. Sure I was depressed when I started taking it but looking back I received no benefit from the stuff, every thing went down hill.

Cymbalta is the 2nd to last drug I have quit of quite a cocktail. I quit drinking 2 years ago and have quit Mirtrazipine, Lyrica, Concerta, Etumina since then. I am still taking 25mg of Seroquel which I intend to quit after I have got over the worst of Cymbalta. I also quit smoking a month ago. Cymbalta has by far had the worst withdrawal by several factors. 

Today I read this book: http://www.amazon.co...Organised Crime

It was expensive, but an eyeopener and helped me understand that I was not creating my own conspiracy theory.

Thank you all again. Hopefully I will be able to write more coherently in a few days. 

CT Day 12

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

You are not alone now BLD.

#15 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

How strong you are, bldad - having given up all of that awful crap!  My hardest part of healing is eliminating stress - money is tight and today was a bit on the weepy side which I hate.  I'm sure part of that is that I have had appts. every day but Mon. this past week.  Tomorrow I will take it easier but will go to church tomorrow afternoon which does help me immensely. 

I can feel myself improving as I know that you will as well, but it is a slow process.  I'm sorry that you don't have another psychiatrist near you - I'm sure there are times when you feel him to be more of a burden than a help :angry: I have also given up Lyrica cold turkey and am working on cutting back on that bunch of drugs that haven't seemed to do anything for me.  I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and massage therapy has been an enormous help - and natural!

I have been divorced for 25 yrs so really have no support system as my sons are on the west coast - thankfully I have a couple of good friends that have been kind enough to listen and lend what support they can.  This forum is a true God-send and everyone here is a dear friend.  I'm so happy that you have found us.  We're here for you and we care what is going on with you.  Please keep us posted as to your progress... :)

Liz

#16 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Thank you all for you responses. I would have responded yesterday but I could not type. I would also have liked to respond to each of you in person today, including those who PMed me but am not feeling too great.

Unfortunately I am doing this alone. I have no friends of family to support me as a Cymbalta year of not talking to people and staring at a TV screen alienated me from everyone. Hopefully when this has subsided and I am no longer withdrawing from this terrible muck I will be able to build some bridges. In the meanwhile I thank you wonderful people for supporting me. 

I stopped cold turkey simply because I had enough of Cymbalta. It cost me my marriage and access to the children. Sure I was depressed when I started taking it but looking back I received no benefit from the stuff, every thing went down hill.

Cymbalta is the 2nd to last drug I have quit of quite a cocktail. I quit drinking 2 years ago and have quit Mirtrazipine, Lyrica, Concerta, Etumina since then. I am still taking 25mg of Seroquel which I intend to quit after I have got over the worst of Cymbalta. I also quit smoking a month ago. Cymbalta has by far had the worst withdrawal by several factors. 

Today I read this book: http://www.amazon.co...Organised Crime

It was expensive, but an eyeopener and helped me understand that I was not creating my own conspiracy theory.

Thank you all again. Hopefully I will be able to write more coherently in a few days. 

CT Day 12

BLD prayers for  you. When you can please keep us updated on how you're doing. :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users