• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have had to stop cymbalta as I cannot afford it. Being it was sudden, the only weening I could do was taking a 60 mg capsule every other day for 6 days. After the last dose, I thought I was doing pretty good....Boy was I wrong. On the second day off in a row, It was horrible. Migraine headaches, eyes and head felt immense pressure, nauseous, dizzy, angry, moody...... Is there anything that can help reduce the withdraw sickness. My doctor let me start a diff med and I am feeling better that I did a couple days ago, but still not myself.

Have you guys figured anything out? do you know how long the withdraw lasts? 

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Happygolucky...Welcome..Seeing how you stopped cymbalta rather quickly there will be withdrawls sooner or later; whether they are tolerable or intolerable they will pop up and to what extent does depend on the individual and how your body adjusts to this sudden drop.

Was wondering what the doctor has ordered for you to replace cymbalta? This will be important to know to answers your questions the best we can.

Right now I believe you symptoms are strong and it's not suprising.

Others with experiences similiar to your will be chiming in very soon to share their support, love, understanding, knowledge, and experiences to help answer your questions and guidance..

Hold on tight as you are in a sensitive state right now..

Best of luck to you...

#3 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't tell you how long going cold turkey but fishinghat and some of the others here can.

I am weaning off Cymbalta slowly at dropping one bead per day 'til I'm done. Anyway again, welcome and let us know how you're doing. :hug:

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Welcome Happygolucky. Well the standard answer is around 8 to 12 weeks for the withdrawal BUT there have been cases of up to a year or more, very unusual. You usually start seeing small improvements around week 3 or 4. No secret treatment for it but there are supplements you can take. I am not an expert on them so I will let someone else address that. What med did your dr start you on if you don't mind me asking?

#5 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

thank you Carleeta and equuswoman.  Carleeta, The dr had me check with the pharmacy to see what meds would be mor affordable in the same Genre. They suggested Celexa, Paxil, and Lexapro.  Paxil was way too expensive so that left Celexa and Lexapro. My Dr informed me that these would not work the same as the cymbalta, but we could try the Celexa. I had gotten the Celexa when I started the day on, day off. But the Dr had said not to take them until I was off the cymbalta. I assumed this meant to give my body time for it to completely clear out. But by the 3rd day in a row without cymbalta, I muscles were hurting, I was constantly nauseous and had stomach pains, I was continually crying from my head hurting so bad,and desperate  for something to help and he said to go ahead and start the celexa. It (and lots of prayer) has helped relieve some of the withdraw, but I am hoping other w/d issues will stop soon. 

#6 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

thanks fishing hat. I don't mind you asking. I posted it above. :-)

#7 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Welcome, Happy go Lucky!  You have found the most wonderful forum - people here are so supportive and caring - I could not believe my luck when I found it! :)  I have found so many friends whom I have never seen!

I have been off Cymbalta and Lyrica at the same time cold turkey and am in week 5.  Yes, I had the headache from hell and extreme weepiness for a good 2 weeks after I quit.  Also had strange dreams every nite and they seem to be diminishing somewhat now.  I still  am extremely tired and do not feel like doing much...it has improved slowly - very slowly.  I don't mean to scare you, but these were some of my W/D feelings.  We are all different so you will find that there is always someone who will respond to your feelings whatever they may be.  Please feel free to vent, share your feelings or talk about your day and your experiences.  We all care and offer our support.

Please keep up posted.

:hug:Liz

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Happygolucky. .Just have to say I love your forum name..Great choice and a positive name at that.

FishingHat, being very knowledgeable, has given you the dynamics for time frames and where you might start to feel withdrawls, peak, and start to lighten up..

I understand how difficult it is for you and the only choices you had being left with six pills of cymbalta..Its also only natural to start Celexa before you completely stopped cymbalta..What I do know is Celexa is not similiar to cymbalta (as you already know) and I believe you may be also experiencing side effects of this new drug (usually happens when taking a new med) and cymbalta withdrawl.
What I don't know is if Celexa will help ease any of the cymbalta withdrawl symptoms.

Hoping either Fishinghat will chime in on Celexa (as he already asked) or another member who has experienced this particular med..or has researched it..

Hold tight..I feel Fishinghat will be adding to this.. He is very knowledgeable.

Keep posting all your concerns, vent if you need to,..Don't feel you are asking too many questions..Just know we are here to help..

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Interesting, Celexa is a ssri as is cymbalta and has the same action in that regard however cymbalta has the added advantage of being a snri as well which celexa is not. Changing over to Celexa while decreasing cymbalta is a common practice. (as FN just posted). As there action is similar it should provide you some rapid releif from your cymbalta soon. Realize that the Celexa has an aggresive withdrawal if you ever decide to quit it. Good look and keep us posted.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

I need to clarify something. Cymbalta is an snri, which is a 'seratonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor', while Celexa is just a 'selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor'. Cymbalta controls seratonin and norepinephrine (used by your body to make adrenaline). Celexa only controls seratonin. When cymbalta first came out it was classified as both a ssri and snri (selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). Now those two terms have combined to snri (seratonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor'. Many of the researchers still use both terms for cymbalta. And I bet I confused the heck out of eeryone. Sorry

#11 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hi Happygolucky and welcome! We're all  here for ya! Hopefully the Celexa will help with the w/drawals! I'm Cymbalta free since Mid/late Nov. 2013 and continue t improve. Most physical prob's are gone, but still have some emotional ups and downs and some fatigue. The worst lasted 3, 4, maybe 5 weeks for me. Take it as easy on yourself as possible! This ain't easy, but def' doable!! Get family or whomever you need to on board! Let them read some posts if possible so they know what's going on with you! It's hard for ppl that love you to see you go through this and they won't understand unless they've been there, but reading some of the posts here should help. Keep us posted with whatever you need to put out here!! Hugs and prayers for you!!!   clara :)

#12 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

I need to clarify something. Cymbalta is an snri, which is a 'seratonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor', while Celexa is just a 'selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor'. Cymbalta controls seratonin and norepinephrine (used by your body to make adrenaline). Celexa only controls seratonin. When cymbalta first came out it was classified as both a ssri and snri (selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). Now those two terms have combined to snri (seratonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor'. Many of the researchers still use both terms for cymbalta. And I bet I confused the heck out of eeryone. Sorry

Fishinghat. .you sure just confused the heck out of me..lol

#13 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

thank you all so much. I have felt like I am all alone in this with nowhere to turn. It is so awesome to be able to talk with you guys. 

Thank you tryingFL for mentioning the dreams. They have been...hard. but I thought that I was just ... different. One of the reasons I went on the cymbalta was because I was having actual Night Terrors. The cymbalta took that away completely. I have not even had bad dreams until recently. I am also very tired. I am hoping that will go away sooner than later. Our car broke down recently and I was frustrated and felt bad because I couldn't run my kids to the groups they had. It was really bad timeing because at first it just added to my stress. But, to be honest, now I think it was a God thing because with how bad I feel, I would have to explain why I am so sick to the kids (which they really wouldn't get) or take them anyway and feel worse physically, This way, it is giving me a little bit of a break without the kids feeling upset. I am glad that you are starting to feel better. 

Thank you Carleeta, I hadn't actually thought about the side effects of celexa being an issue too. Maybe it helps relieve some w/d symptoms but adds adjustment side effects. Thanks about the name too. I am very blessed by God and try to see the best in people and situations..... but admittedly, sometimes I'm praying an aweful lot for guidance. :-)

Thanks fishinghat for explaining the differences. I was a little confused. I understand better...all up until the now they just call it snri. :-)

Thank you all so much. My spirits are lifted and it feels so awesome to have so much support. Thanks!

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hi Happygolucky! Like you, I had to quit the poison cold turkey....I've been off 11 weeks now, and the good days exceed the hard ones, heck, today I started going to a weekly yoga class .....we are each wired so differently, however, that we each have our own unique timing, process and experiences....

You can do this, and it's well worth doing....just take one day at a time...or, one hour, one minute....listen to your body...it really does know how to cleanse itself and heal....read our sections on supplements and nutrition....drink lots of water...ice water may be easiest...get some omega 3 fish oil, an essential for nervous system healing...also b complex, vitamin c.....avoid caffeine, sugar, diet sodas ...actually any sodas...and alcohol....although I allowed myself to have warm Guinness stout a couple of times at bedtime....sipped it slowly and it helped my to get to sleep....

The key thing to know is that you are in control of the drug, and your withdrawal...it does not control you....and right now, I can sense that you need to let yourself slow down a bit and get a handle on what you're feeling, and work through how to deal with each symptom.... Remember, it's your body that's detoxing and healing....you are inside your body, and you are just fine....dont get drawn out into what's whirling through your body if you can help it...stand back a bit and watch...identify, one by one, the symptoms you're having, and find something you can do that will ease it....

First, a question..... I gather that you were on the 60 mg...Is that correct? And if I recall, without insurance it costs a whopping $500 or so dollars.... Which leads to my next comment and question....

Also, how long were you on cymbalta?

It would be much easier for you to work through withdrawal if you could reinstate at the 60 mg...perhaps even the 30 mg, and then use the bead counting method to gradually ease yourself down in dosage....

Is there any way to could scrape up the $$ to buy just one more month of cymbalta...and then do bead counting?

If not, so be it. You'll make it cold turkey...if I did, I'm sure you can!

Migraines, painful eyes, etc....it's inflammation....as your nervous system begins to detox and then to heal, you'll get these symptoms...it's a good sign...I used what I called my "self induced brain freeze" to help with these symptoms...I basically cover my eyes, arteries in the back of my neck, forehead with those peas pod sorta refreezeable ice packs.... Also, put ice on the insides of your wrists...

Dizziness...could be for your inflamed eyes and optic nerve...lie down on your back if possible....and hold a small soft pillow or a folded towel over your sternum....keep your eyes closed and just let yourself breathe....

You'll look like a mummy on dry ice, but what the hell.... ;-)

Nausea...ginger...best is the fresh ginger root like they give with sushi, or get ginger root tea and make it super strong....and in a pinch, I just grabbed the ginger from my spice rack and dumped it in my palm and licked it....ALSO ...try putting an ice pack on your lower sternum or right on your stomach...beats me why, but it's worked for me....

When you have chance, read the nutrition area of this site....and everything else you can here that seems of interest...

Talk to us here any time you need to...we're here to help and we're rooting for you....report new symptoms if they appear, and we'll make suggestions for how to deal with them....

You can do this!

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

And most importantly, pray! And know we are praying and rooting for you!

#16 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thank you all again 

FiveNotions,  The pop will be the hardest. I was trying to cut down, but I was afraid to withdrawal from caffeine would make the cymbalta withdraw worse. I'm so glad to know I wasn't crazy about my eyes and head. It felt like they were swollen and gonna pop out. Fortunately I had discovered the ice pacs on my head, temples and neck. Cold washrag over my eyes, but I will be sure to try the other places in addition as it may be more help. 

I believe I was on cymbalta... 4 years, I think. but I was able to get samples, so I didn't have to pay the high cost, which I truely appreciated. And the cymbalta did help me with the situation I was going thru as well as taking the night terrors away.  With my insurance, the meds cost 280.00 (about). the generic came out, which no longer made the samples available. But I figured I could afford the generic...wrong. It's $176.00 with insurance! So I got some cymbalta that a relative had left, thank God, and used it to do the day on, day off. I had thought about trying to get ahold of 30 mg and ween from that, but I was afraid reintroducing the meds would just make things worse. I have been off since Sunday.

Thank you very much for the prayers. Very few people know I was on it, so I haven't asked my usual prayer group to pray about it. 

#17 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

And most importantly, pray! And know we are praying and rooting for you!

Yep IMHO prayer is a very powerful thing. What's so great about this site is no matter what our beliefs we are accepted for who we are. Positive thoughts, vibes, prayers whatever it is that we do is a good thing! I am so grateful that I found this Cymbalta support forum! :hug:

#18 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Me too equuswoman. I felt such a relief to talk to you all. I slept pretty good last night..no strange dreams. I feel better today than I have all week. Still having headaches, but the ice packs are helping more. they are livable at this point. the nausea seem to be better today. 

Also since the nausea is better I am able to start taking the vitamins mentioned in the health part. Hopefully my nervous system is able to heal back to normal. :-)

Hope everyone is haveing a great day

#19 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Me too equuswoman. I felt such a relief to talk to you all. I slept pretty good last night..no strange dreams. I feel better today than I have all week. Still having headaches, but the ice packs are helping more. they are livable at this point. the nausea seem to be better today. 

Also since the nausea is better I am able to start taking the vitamins mentioned in the health part. Hopefully my nervous system is able to heal back to normal. :-)

Hope everyone is haveing a great day

I've been taking vitamin B complex, freshly ground flax seed...calcium and be sure to drink at least 64 oz of water per day. This helps..Prayers for you as the journey continues... :hug:

#20 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Welcome Happy go lucky! You're certainly not alone here. Like yourself I went off cold turkey 4 weeks ago and am riding the "rollercoaster from hell". I'm trying to stay as positive as possible and focus on the improvements. They are coming slowly. Best of luck to you my friend.

#21 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hello Leprechaun. I am very very grateful for this forum. I hope I will be able to offer some help as time goes on.
I was worried I would be hurting too much to work at the church today. I volunteer once a week in the preschool dept. I was praying pretty hard. I could not sleep at all Friday. Watched the walls,door,ceiling,kids,dogs,clock, tried reading, playing handhelds. So by Sat afternoon I was feeling physically exhausted, but not able to sleep. If I couldn't sleep sat night, I wasn't sure I'd be able to work with the kids. 'finally, after 30 hours, I finally was able to fall asleep.
I felt pretty good this morning, and I was able to give the kids my best. yay.
My eyes and temples tend to swell more toward evening, and my headaches are horrible at night. But since taking the extra vitamins that you guys have talked about in this forum...and lords ice water, it seems to help me feel better during the day.
I have to watch myself because I am irritable and I don't want to be yelling at the kids. That has improved as well. I love my kids.
Anyway, I understand there will be good days and bad days, I am looking forward to having more of the good than the bad.;-)

#22 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi happygo lucky! You remain in my prayers! Better days are ahead for you!!!  clara :)

#23 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Happygolucky. .Hello, we'll I see you are holding on and experiencing a bit of improvement. You are beginning see how much you are able to tolerate with a good day or two popping in..You are doing wonderful .Eventually you will see more good days..With a few bad days here and there, which I feel you will be able to tolerate..

Keep listening to what your body is telling you (which I notice you are doing to perfection) . This is extremely important in your recovery from cymbalta withdrawl because you will handle the irritable symptoms just as you doing right now..

Best of Luck and keep us posted...

#24 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Happygolucky...nice going!  You are doing well and so aware of your feelings - Yay!!

I am now starting my 6th week and often get headaches toward the end of the day and don't have much of an appetite, but otherwise only the tiredness really plagues me.  Dreams are of little consequence now for which I am grateful :)

I intend to start some mild exercise now, as I am fortunate to have a friend 2 doors away who has a stationary bike - easy does it, though!

Keep up the good work and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Liz :hug:

#25 happygolucky

happygolucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

thank you all again for your support. I am starting to feel better. This cold/sinus infection didn't help, but I think it's almost done. 

I still have trouble sleeping at night. and I am very tired during the day, but the headaches have lessened immensely and the nausea is pretty much gone. My eyes still swell some at night and the headaches start toward evening, but they are at a much lower level that I can handle. I am very sensitive to loud noises and can get a headache pretty easily, which being in my household is never quiet. lol but I am adjusting. the irritability is better, but I have to keep myself in check and am always ready to apologize if I am snappy. The kids have been pretty good thru all this. God has been amazing. I am feeling much better mentally than I was afraid I would be. The strange and bad dreams have not been an issue as much this last few days.

I definately think the vitamins help.  

Thank you all so very much for helping me thru this. I know there will still be bad days to deal with, but it really helps knowing there is help out here. I hope you guys..and gals... are doing good in your journeys too. I am praying for all of you as well. and I am hoping you are feeling well this weekend. ... even though it is cold here and looks like we are going to be getting ANOTHER storm! sheesh! I'm wondering if I've moved to Alaska without realizing it. lol

God Bless,

#26 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hello everyone....  I am going through what I would call a relapse as I have been crying all morning and had a real anger issue yesterday - I have not experienced such rage since I can remember.  I was out with a friend for lunch and we spent almost 5 hrs doing window shopping, etc.  I also purchased a new phone and am now so frustrated as I cannot figure it out.  I think I did too much, as I have only been going out for short periods (2 hrs at most) since I stopped this drug from hell.  I will try to calm down over the next couple of days as I will be starting week 7.  I never dreamed this could be so bad... especially since things were getting so much better.

Liz :angry:

#27 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi Guys, Yes I've learned c/t is quite the emotional rollercoaster. I can relate to nearly all of Happy go lucky's symptoms. The mood swings and irritability are a real challenge. And Liz I have also experienced the rage you describe. Coming out of the blue when I thought things were getting so much better. I'm trying to focus on the good. (Sometimes easier said than done), but there is improvement. Eventually we'll be able to sit back and remember this challenge as one of our greater personal victorys.  Thoughts and prayers for both of you.

#28 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Leprechaun. .You certainly are paying attention to your body..You explain your emotions well..Seems you are well aware of each emotion when it ebbs and flows...Seeing this as a good thing so you will be aware what the symptoms are and the way the affect your body..This is a great realization which will be an asset in the days to come; and watch them slowly fade into the past...

#29 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

HELP!!!  What is going on w/me???  I am just starting week 7 and most of last week was making me think this was almost over...

After the horrible feeling of rage about 3 days ago, I have been crying again and feel like I am starting over except for the headaches.  I am having dreams again and when I woke up this am I thought about the new phone I bought and how I can't seem to manage to understand how to use it and started crying again.  Am considering seeing either my GP, who knows nothing about my trip from Cymbalta hell or my therapist, whom I see only once a month.  I'm afraid that my GP will prescribe something again, and I don't want to take anything else.  I am still on my hydrocodone and alprazolam and that is enough!  I feel as if I am losing my mind..

Liz :angry:

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

TFL, unluckily you will have those relapses. I think you are a little more sensitive than most though. Try to take it easy for a few days and give your body a chance to bounce back.

I agree, your dr would probably want to put you on another med. I still think you will come out of this with time but that is just my opinion. If you are having good days every now and then I would think you would be alright in the long run. Hang in there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users