2 replies to this topic

#1 ACE80

ACE80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and was wanting some advice.

I have been on 60mg of Cymbalta for about 4-5 years. I can't remember exactly when I started on it. I was prescribed this drug for ongoing depression but it's never really worked for me, hasn't really helped my depression at all and it's actually made my anxiety A LOT worse than it was before I started. I honestly don't know why I have stayed on it for so long, I guess because the thought of coming off it was always so terrifying and there never seemed like a good time. Even early on I noticed I'd have terrible side effects just from missing a single dose.

My doctor hasn't been much help at all, about six months ago she advised me to wean off it by going down to 30mg and taking a 30mg one day and then a 60mg the next day, etc, etc. But it was awful and I was only able to last a week before going back to the 60mg. I had so much time off work because I was sleeping badly, had terrible muscle aches and pains, nausea, sore throat, fuzzy feelings in my head and the dreaded brain zaps. In a search for a better way to come off this poison I was Googling like mad and came across this forum and the bead counting idea which made a lot more sense to me than what my doctor has advised.

At the moment, I am between jobs with about a month off, so I thought I would take this opportunity to really give the bead counting a go. I am intending to start tonight. My question for you is, starting from 60mg, how many beads should I be reducing by and how often? 

I'm a little torn because I don't want to come off it too soon and experience horrific side effects but I also don't want this to take months out of my life. I already feel like it's robbed me of so much. I am pretty much a recluse these days because of the social anxiety that this drugs seems to have triggered in me. I have a supportive husband and family but I am sick of not feeling like myself. Even my depressed self would be better than what I am now. 

I've read a little on this forum about supplements to take when coming off Cymbalta (omega-3, B complex, etc) so I have loaded up on them and also will make sure I avoid caffeine and alcohol and eat well (lots of fruit and veg) but I'm looking for any other tips which you think might help make this journey easier?

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Welcome to the site ACE80. In my opinion the best way to approach bead counting is to begin with removing a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just go back up 3 beads and hold until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. If 3 beads a day is easy then go up to 4. I do not recommend making big jumps, like from 3 to 7. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

You also mentioned a month off. The first 3 or 4 weeks of withdrawal are the worse with some slow, and I mean slow improvements. By the 8th to 12th week usually see signs of good days followed by bad days but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now that is the average. I have known people who actually quit cold turkey without a symptom. And others where the withdrawal last 6 months to over a year but these are rare. Research says between 30 to 80% of people do not experience withdrawal while other research shows that around 7% experience withdrawal of 6 months or more. Don't let it scare you too much. Just take it one day at a time. You can always slow down or stay at a dosage for a while to give yourself a break.

Remember, you are not alone. We will all be glad to help.

#3 ACE80

ACE80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

Thanks very much for the advice fishinghat.

I actually started last night by removing ten beads which I know might seem high but I just want to get off this drug as quickly as possible. So far it hasn't been TOO bad. I have been feeling nauseous on and off today but haven't had the brain zaps and other nastiness that accompanied my last attempt. I had  crazy, vivid dreams last night but that's manageable I suppose. I've been drinking ginger tea for the nausea and that seems to helping.

I'm going to try taking twenty beads out tonight. Will see how it goes.

Thanks again! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users