• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jnmsanti

jnmsanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hello - I am new here, although I have been reading through all of the forums and posts here pretty much non-stop for the past few days and I have found so much great information.  It is truly such a relief to have found this site and others who can relate to what I am feeling and going through.

I was on Cymbalta 60 mg for about 4-4.5 years.  Before that, Lexapro, Effexor, Paxil, Prozac and Wellbutrin over the course of about 20 years for depression.  After experiencing what I am now physically, mentally and emotionally - as well as reading what I have been reading, I am so angry with myself for ever going on these drugs.  I know there is nothing I can do about it now and I am trying not to dwell on what I cannot change in the past.

I started weaning off the Cymbalta in August 2013 by removing the beads (per the advice from my Naturopathic doctor).  It went well.....and then I got impatient and was not consistent on the amount of beads I was removing from day to day, and then I started taking the pills every other day.....or every 2-3 days and then I quit cold turkey . I still, to this day, do not know why I did not just be patient and wean slowly as my ND advised.

I have not taken any Cymbalta since around mid-November.  I did go through the brain zaps, some pretty bad emotional melt downs, agitation, insomnia, rage, anxiety (worse than ever) and so many other of the horrible side effects that others have listed within this site.  My ND put me on an all natural mood support - 3X a day and Vitamin D3.  He also had my blood work run (this was in late Dec).  When I went back to see him in Jan, we reviewed the results and he also put me on a Thyroid supplement, Vitamins B, A, DHEA based on the results of the lab work which he said was not too bad.

I'm still experiencing the insomnia - not full blown, but only sleeping a few hours a night, the anxiety/panic attacks are so bad.  The brai fogginess and lack of mental clarity is so taxing and frustrating.  I feel like I cannot think of or retrieve the right words to even hold a

simple conversation.  I have been putting on weight and it just adds to my anxiety.

Fast forward to last Monday.  I started feeling a weird.....buzzing....on the left side of my head, slightly above my left ear.  There was no pain associated with it and it pretty much came and went on and off.....until I really started focusing on it. Now it has sent me into a panic (it does not take much these days).  I have definitely not felt well since going off Cymbalta due to the horrid side effects. Over the past couple of days I have started to feel as though I just stopped taking it.  The nausea & dizziness

- not to mention the buzzing on the side of my head (not a brain zap - just a really...weird...feeling).  I have myself worked up in a panic.  I am TERRIFIED something is wrong with me.  I am terrified at the thought of an MRI. 

I have read that some on here have experienced cyclical withdrawal.  I guess, in an effort to ease the panic I am feeling, I'm just looking for some words from those who may have experienced or are experiencing the same thing.  Is this all just part of the withdrawal process?  I know no one can say if we'll ever be back to normal (whatever that is), but my mind is racing thinking I have a tumor or something since it's been since mid Nov since my last pill.

Any advise or words of encouragement are both welcome and most appreciated.

Thank you so much -

Mari

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Welcome to the site Mari. Most people suffer through 8 to 12 weeks of bad withdrawal and by that time they start having good days more and more frequently. It sounds like you have been off for about 15 weeks. The rebound back to the old feelings is not unusual. It should only last a couple days and then you should feel better. With time the good days get more often and the bad days less often. Just be aware that some take months even close to a year to stabilize. I am not saying you will be that way. It is rare, about 6 or 7 percent according to research. I would not give up hope yet. I still think you will settle down in a few days.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

God Bless.

#3 jnmsanti

jnmsanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

fishinghat -  Thank you so much for your response.   I've read your responses on countless other posts and all of the advice and experience you have to offer.

It's just so frustrating to me that so many of us feel this way.  It brings me to tears (well.......everything does these days......) read and know what myself and all of the others out there on or coming off this drug are enduring.

This has been the absolute worst feeling in the world.  The overall sick feeling and the anxiety that goes along with it thinking or wondering if something is growing inside of your brain.  It's so devastating.

If I ever hear of anyone wanting to or considering going on this drug - I would tell them RUN don't walk away while you're not too sick to do so.

Thanks again for your response and support.  I truly appreciate it.

Mari

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Jnmsanti...Welcome to the forum..As you've already seen Fishinghat has whole heartedly shared his knowledge of cymbalta withdrawl symptoms with you..This should have helped ease your mind on your concerns.

If I might add here, you have stated your ND has put you on a thyroid supplement, Vitamin B, A, D3, and mood stabilizer based on prior and post lab work done ..Seeing these were introduced in December and January..I'm guessing you are presently taking to this point...You need also to take these medications into account and their possible side effects..Like Vitamin B supplements may cause jitters which can cause anxiety in some, especially B12..Thyroid supplements (until they are regulated based on workup lab work) can cause you to have difficulty sleeping if it's prescribed for a slower metabolism. .Also please take into account if you do drink caffeine while taking Vitamin B and Thyroid supplements. Therefore these supplements have been added after your completion of Cymbalta..They could also mimic the withdrawals of cymbalta and in fact are only side effects to the supplements..Keeping th a t in minf, and after having said that, can you really find out if you are still intensely affected by quitting cymbalta or the side effects of newly introduced supplements..

You will undoubtedly find all the support you need here on this forum...

Best of luck to you...

#5 jnmsanti

jnmsanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Carleeta -  Thank you so much for your response.

You make an excellent point regarding the supplements.  Actually - I had been on the Thyroid, B12, D3, A and DHEA (along with a multivitamin as well) prior to stopping Cymbalta (since approx. August of 2012) based on blood work done back then... BUT, for reasons still unknown to me, I pretty much stopped taking all of them from about Sept 2013 until he had me start them again back in Dec 2013 (the Thyroid & D3) and all the rest in Jan after the blood work was completed.  The Mood Support I started in Dec 2013 - after pretty much stopping Cymbalta cold turkey after a couple months of weaning (of which I was not consistent in doing).  I've thought about why I stopped weaning and went cold turkey (with quite a bit of beads left to have left which I would have had to wean off).  I can't come up with a logical reason at this point and I am kicking myself in the rear end now. 

I think what has scared me is the fact that I am still feeling these horrible side effects so long after stopping - but then again, it was cold turkey and after years and years of being on some sort of antidepressant. 

Just knowing I am not alone and there are people who know exactly what I am feeling (physically, mentally and emotionally)....although I would not wish this withdrawal on anyone.... has eased my fear somewhat.  It was the overall feeling like I just stopped taking the Cymbalta a day or 2 ago - when it has been about 15 weeks that had me in panic mode.   This drug is a nightmare!

Thanks again for your message and for "listening". I appreciate it.

Mari

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Jnmsanti. ..It's understandable of the fears you have and some panic you have in anticipating your ending cymbalta and what side effects you might experience. .

Thank you for explaining, in more detail, when these supplements were introduced to you..

I read it's been years of different antidepressents for you and your last was cymbalta. .

Its very possible you could be feeling the effects of intertwining discontinuation of antidepressents..By this I mean..fully getting off of one antidepressent and experiencing withdrawls while getting on another antidepressent prior to the end of the withdrawls from the prior one....It maybe the combination of other effects of antidepressent withdrawl still alive while you are off of cymbalta and its withdrawl symptoms...which could be compounding on you...It may just take a bit longer for all of these anti's to completely show all their withdrawl symptoms....

Your post is very essential to other members here and guests who are just viewing..

Post away any and all concerns you may have...We are here for you..Best of luck to you....Please keep us posted..:)

#7 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Welcome Mari, I'm a noobie here like yourself and am so glad I found this site. The information and compassion here is amazing. It's helped me so much and I hope it helps you as well. Thoughts and prayers your way.

#8 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hi and welcome to the support forum. I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for almost 2 years. Was prescribed for LBP due to osteoarthritis. I no longer wanted to deal with the SE and began my slow weaning process by using the bead counting method. I began this process on Nov 7th on a Thursday and will swallow my LAST bead of Cymbalta poison on March 18. It has been a very long and difficult journey but I will in my future be FREE of this drug. Please let us know how you're doing. TheEquusWoman :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users