Photo

What causes the severity of Cymbalta withdrawals?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mytwohands

mytwohands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    Because cymbalta sucks & I feel terrible.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

I'm curious why the Cymbalta withdrawals are so severe. What about stopping Cymbalta causes diarrhea, for instance? What medicinal components has my body become accustomed to that now, without Cymbalta, need to shift back? And why is it that because of the lack of whatever I had from Cymbalta, does my body feel so ... strange?

I'm just curious. I feel like if I knew the answers medically, I would feel more comfortable with what's going on with me.

#2 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

Mytwohands:

I am not a doctor, nor am I in the medical field. My reply is from what I read and understood from what I read when I was withdrawing and had the same question. As I understand, the withdrawal from some anti-depressants is more disruptive to your systems when the drug has a short half-life. Half-life is how long the drug will stay in your system. I believe Cymbalta, Effexor and Paxil are in a class that has a short half-life. Like maybe 5 hours, if I remember correctly. That is why when you miss a dose it is apparent immediately. Your brain is used to the serotonin these drugs help stimulate. And, when it doesn't have the serotonin, it puts your nervous system into shock, as I can best describe it. I believe anti-depressants like Prozac and Wellbutrin have a longer half-life, so the withdrawal isn't as much of a 'shock' to your nervous system. This is my condensed version of what I read. My brain didn't like being on or off Cymbalta! And boy did it let my nervous system do a number on me both times! I'm good now though. I think you'll feel the same soon....Houdi

#3 cmw128

cmw128

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to join because I googled cymbalta withdrawl a few days ago, out of desperation and found this site. I believe that what I am doing to fight this is really helping me, and I'd like to share my experience with other people who may be looking for an alternative like I was.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

I am not so sure about that "short half life" I think it is longer than that. I was only on 60mg and was only taking it once a day. My doc told me that the cymbalta would start to make a difference in my pain level after about two weeks of being on it...enough time for my body to adjust as I worked up to taking the full 60 mg and for it to stay present in my system. I didn't begin to feel the withdrawl until day three! I went cold turkey (although that wasn't my original intention)....wouldn't recommend it.

I think that it the severity is caused by the lack of chemicals that your body has learned to depend on. Now that they are not being re-introduced the brain is sending signals to the body that a major adjustment is needed.

The past few days I have had major cravings for water, bread, fruits and veggies.

I know that it takes about 20 hours for a piece of food to go from mouth to butt (please excuse my bluntness)...anything that the body uses goes into the blood and eventually make its rounds throughout the body.

It's like food poisening in a way...the digestive track goes into panic mode trying to rid itself of whatever contaminants might still be floating around in your system so that eventually you can balence out and feel normal again.

At least this is my understanding of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users