29 replies to this topic

#1 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

Hello all, I have been on cymbalta now for 18 months, to stop crippling anxiety attacks I rarely get due to fatigue and stress. At first I was on 60mg, then 12 months ago i upped to 120mg.

Of the last few months I have lost my drive and spend all my days off sleeping, and also find it hard to get up for work at 2am. I learned the hard way what drinking alcohol while on cymbalta as I turned into a hulk like creature

I approached my doc yesterday about weaning off and being free of them. I advised me to go down to 90 and see how I feel. Should this method be to steep of a decline I will resort to 'counting beads'.

My biggest fear is due to an incident last year whereby I lost my script and ran out of meds, due to my doc being away I went 48 hrs without them, as I'm sure most of you know it's like being tortured and should I experience this while weaning off I could not work as I drive road trains and need my wits about me.

I will start next week while on leave when I am relaxed, well rested and calm. I will keep you all updated should you like to follow.

FYI I'm a guy. 6'4 and 230lb.

#2 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Welcome Lifechoice, We're with you all the way! Please do keep us updated! Come here with whatever is on your mind! We all understand and will support you with all we have! You might want to do the bead counting method of weaning. It's slower but easier on the mind and body. I went cold turkey and it was very very hard! Others will jump in with support soon! Listen to what your body is telling you. Not trying to be a pessimist, but things can get hairy and you might even think there is something else going wrong physically, I did at first, but it was all w/drawals. So take it easy on yourself! All my best to you! You'll be in my prayers!!!  clara :)

#3 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi, thanks Clara. I'm hoping after I ditch these pills I can start enjoying my hobbies again such as fishing and motorbike as they have all gathered dust since my decline in ambition.
Thanks again

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

Welcome Lifechoice!  You have found a wonderful place to get support and knowledge in your quest to be Cymbalta-free.  I, like Clara, went cold turkey and definitely don't recommend it.  Thankfully I am retired, as I could never have worked while going through hell.  I am now in my 9th week off that poison and am finally having more good days than bad.  I don't mean to scare you, as there are many kind and helpful people here that can help you with bead counting.  I was 2 weeks into the cold turkey when I found this forum and found out about the bead counting and if I had known of it in the beginning, it would certainly have been my choice.

Good luck to you as you make your decision and remember that we are all here for you.  BTW, most doctors haven't a clue what the withdrawal from this horrible stuff is - unfortunately.

Keep us posted as to your progress!

Liz :)

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi LifechoiceX

Welcome. First off, consider having a plan for the anxiety, should it re-emerge during your withdrawal. Talk to your physician about this; he or she may prescribe a benzodiazepine or similar to keep on the shelf just in case.

Yes, Cymbalta loves alcohol. Caution.

A tapered withdrawal like bead-counting is well-proven to give a more gentle ride than cold turkey. This would also apply to your step from 120 mg to 90 mg.  But if you tolerate the cold turkey step from 120-90, great. If not, go back and taper off more slowly.

If you don't see a psychologist regularly, consider getting one on board. If you have an ally to talk to during your withdrawal, that would be tremendously beneficial, though the journey will challenge this relationship.

During withdrawal you may be teased by a variety of 'ailments' that could have you visiting the doctor often. Just be aware that while the ailments feel real, they probably aren't. But it's confounding, and you don't want to overlook something that could be real; perhaps your physician will understand the phantom nature of the ailments, and guide you through it.

How long is your leave? The reason I ask is you've been on a high dose for a fairly long time, and managing withdrawal will require a commitment for some time, even tapering via bead-counting. But the best chance you will have for returning to work during withdrawal is a slow taper. Even so, fatigue is often part of the withdrawal and therefore your job as a professional driver might present tough challenges.

How long to taper off? Your body will let you know. When things get rough, slow down your tapering and level off. Maybe even back up a bit and add back some of the drug. But to start, consider a linear taper over three months. Perhaps 100 days, reducing by an additional 1% per day- that makes the math easy.

This is a serious project, but you can do it! I wish you all the best in your withdrawal. Please keep us posted.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hi LifeChoice, welcome!

I agree with thismoment's comments and suggestions..... Bead counting is the better way to go....especially because your job is one that requires serious concentration and god reflexes....coming down in big jumps like your doc suggested is not the way to go under the best of circumstances...it jolts your system up and down..... You need to control the process, not let it control you!

Quitting cold turkey is what I did, because I lost a my insurance....I was on 60 mg for 7-8 years....I've been almost 4 months now, and I'm finally feeling pretty good most of the time....I wasn't working when I quit, and couldn't have held a job even if I'd had one....

It's wonderful that you've recognized the damage that cymbalta has caused in your life..... I assure you that the joy in doing things you love will return....and that need to sleep all the time will go away.... All of what you described, including alcohol and cymbalta, are what I experienced as well...

You can do this! Please check back often and let us know how it's going...

#7 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:45 AM

Hi all sorry for the delay, have been getting life in order to give myself the best chance of ditching the meds

I've since retired from truck driving so no more night shift to deal with or heavy vehicle operation.

Day one went from 24 beads (two 60mg caps) to 22.

Had slight withdrawals, faintest headache, hot flush feeling and some insomnia.

Day two feel ok, at work, no more hot feelings or headache. Slightly aggravated (could be work ha ha)

Day three feeling good, but the withdrawal comes on earlier than when I was on full dose, you know the weirdness you feel when you know your due to take cymbalta.

I plan to drop another two beads on day eight.

#8 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi LcX!

I don't remember you, but then I had just joined this forum in Feb. and was not in very good shape at the time!

Congratulations on your countdown!  The best advice I can give you is to go sloooow....  and don't drop any beads until you feel stable (no withdrawal symptoms)!  This is the safest and most comfortable method.  There is no time line here, so don't worry about how long it takes.  You want to continue to feel comfortable throughout this whole ordeal.

I wish you well and please keep us posted!  We are here for you whenever you need us!

#9 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

Does everyone REALLY feel that good after detoxing off these meds?

#10 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

Yes, they do - it just takes longer for us old farts!  I have been off over 11 months now  -  another cold turkey survivor!  Talk about the trip to Hell!!!

The best of luck to you, and please post often to let us know how you're doing!  And feel free to ask questions - we're here!

#11 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Still going well today thanks all

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hey LcX,

Just noticed that I posted to you on March 20 - wow, the crapalta brain is still not back together!

You are very fortunate as you have your age on your side!!

#13 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:43 AM

Did anyone else experience so truely bizarre dreams while weaning off?

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:43 AM

Bizarre dreams are part of withdrawal. The norm. Still have them once in a while ten months later.

#15 ThisBetterPass

ThisBetterPass

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta is like my biochemistry's stalker and can't take a clue.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Yes, my dreams are funkier than usual. For those of us who remember the show Dallas, I had one of those epic dreams that seemed to go on forever and felt real.

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi LCX! I remember you from when you first posted, and I'm so glad you've made the changes in your life you needed to in order to "clear the decks" for getting off the crapalta!

Yep .. weird dreams are totally par for the course .. except for me, I had 'em while I was on the drug, and they faded gradually during the first 4-6 months I was off it ...(I'm another cold turkey survivor like TFL)... the dreams I had were actually really enjoyable/weird, not bad/weird ... and, I actually miss them ... the absolutely only thing about Cymbalta that I miss!

The dreaming is due to serotonin levels in the brain ... the higher the levels, according to research, the more vivid the dreams ... and often causing nightmares ... the dreaming as you're coming off the Cymbalta is likely due to your brain starting to re-wire itself and re-learn how to regulate it's own serotonin levels ... since you're bead counting, it'll be a much more gradual/gentle process ... to the extent that anything related to Cymbalta can be considered "gently" ... :blink:

I agree with TFL with respect to how fast you wean ... don't try for fast, go for slow ... and, don't remove more beads until you're stable at the last level ... and, remember, you can control the wean by reducing the number of beads you remove and/or increasing the length of time between removing them ... TFL is exactly right ... there's no set time frame for this process ... it's totally individual, depending on what your own brain/body can handle ...

Keep us posted on how you're doing, please!

#17 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

Well I have cut down to 20 beads per 24hrs. All seems ok, getting back a bit of drive and getting things done although my patience is a tiny bit shorter and I seem to be getting shaky hands early afternoon. I have decided to dry out this year and stay clear of alcohol.

Did anyone here go onto an alternate drug to deal with their anxiety?

#18 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

Hi LCX!  Happy New Year!

Good to hear from you again...

It seems that many of us stopped the alcohol when we stopped the crapalta!  The desire just wasn't there any more.

Regarding the anxiety - many of us have used a benzo for that - I did/do still take Alprazolam (Xanax).  I still have sleep issues but the anxiety finally left.  One day I suddenly realized that it was gone!  I had suffered from the "freezing" type for at least 2 months when I was about 5-6 months off the C.

You should be able to get a RX from your Dr. for a benzo if you do not have any - it is of great help!

I wish you well - be good to yourself!

Liz   

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

LCX, good to hear from you, and what great progress you've made!

The anxiety seems to be something that hits most of us during this process ... either comes and goes, or settles in for a longer stay ... It's been with me for about 6-7 months now, but is gradually fading ...

Benzos are definitely a good thing to have on hand "just in case," but for regular use they're very, very risky ... addiction and "poop out" ... they stop helping, and can actually back fire and start causing / increasing anxiety ...

For example, I tried Lorazepam, then valium early this year when the anxiety first hit ... found that the benzos didn't help me much at all after a few months (for most people, if/when used regularly, they "poop out" after 3-4 months, which is the point at which people tend to increase their dose, and then run into addiction problems ... and getting off benzos is hell ... it took me 2 years to get off of Xanax years ago ..and another of our members, Fishinghat, is currently getting off Lorazepam ... it's taking him forever as well ... the withdrawal is hell .. a different kind of hell than crapalta, but still hell...)

works great for me is clonidine ... it's non-addictive, and can be taken daily ... it has a totally different method of action in the brain than benzos ... it shuts off the adrenaline loop that gets going in the anxiety cascade ... it was originally prescribed just for high bp (which involves adrenaline), so if you take it you'd need to monitor your bp carefully .. but it works like a charm for me... I also have borderline high bp, which spikes horribly if/when the anxiety is bad, so it's an excellent "fit" for me ...

Another option, that Fishinghat uses, is hydroxyzine, which I've never used so I can't speak to that ... He'll arrive in the next day or so and will be able to give you some info on that ...

As I recall, you're a truck driver, yes? So regular benzo use probably isn't a good choice for you anyway ... TFL is right, they're good to have on hand, but clonidine or hydroxyzine may be better options for regular/daily use ...

And, don't forget to consider the non-drug alternatives for managing anxiety ... CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), yoga (yeah, guys do it to, and no, you don't need to wear spandex leotards ;)), acupressure and acupuncture, etc.... I took yoga lessons for a month earlier this year, and the breathing exercises have helped me tremendously ...

another congrats on the giving up alcohol! ... I drank like a fish while on the crap, stopped drinking the day I went into cold turkey, and don't miss it a bit. The most I can handle/enjoy now is a Guinness stout once in a while ... evil drug this crapalta ... it's the spawn of the devil ... the devil being Eli Lilly & Co... :angry:

Keep us posted, you're well on your way to a crapalta-free 2015!!

#20 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

I have given up the truck driving as it feeds the whole process. Now have a day job. No night shift now. No massive amounts of stress or fatigue either. I took C to combat anxiety attacks that effected me ever 12-18 months, which I feel was fed by 14hr shifts and 600 mile trips every day. But that is now no longer an issue

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

As FN said, benzos are real tough to come off of .  Very addictive. My suggestions would be clonidine or hydroxyzine. Of course as with any drug there are possible sid effects. Both can lower BP and make you sleepy. Hydroxyzine has no withdrawal and coming off clonidine will cause your bp to spike for a couple weeks and you will be physically restless. This can be avoided by comeing off over a 2 or 3 week period. To minimize yoour side effects of either of these two just start up slowly until you reach full dose in 2 or 3 weeks. MOST people have success this way but there are some that still get the side effects. Letting your body get use to the medicine just improves your chance of success. I take both and have had no issues but others have not been successful.

Good luck on your fight and keep us informed.

#22 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Due to the withdrawal onset whilst at work in the late afternoon I have shifted my dose schedule to when I wake up as apposed to when I get home.

#23 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

LFX,

Good thinking - hope this will work better for you!

#24 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:56 AM

Hi all, sorry for being absent so long. Glad to report I'm now down to 60mg per day.

#25 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

LCX,

Congratulations!  You are wise to have taken this weaning slowly - I hope that you have not suffered horrible withdrawal using this method.  You should have been more comfortable than we who went cold turkey!

Did you find something to help with your anxiety?

I wish you well as you continue to come off this crap and please keep us posted!

Liz

#26 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

LCX

Love your Stevie Ray Vaughan Strat. You play?

His first Strat was built around 1963 (he got it in '74) and he called it 'Number One' and/or 'First Wife'.

#27 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:25 AM

No I haven't used anything as an aid, just dropping dose when I feel ready. Still a bit funky in late arvo but luckily I don't work night shift anymore or drive 150t trucks.

#28 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hi Thismoment,

I'm a very big srv fan and have a lot of his work on LP.

Also a tattoo of #1 on my upper arm.

The strat is a rocketfire custom from over your way. It's a blues monster and very popular with my muso mates here.
Did you know the neck was snapped on #1 and he put the neck off Red on it.

#29 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

Boo

#30 LifechoiceX

LifechoiceX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:38 AM

Hello peeps, I know it's been nearly 12 months since I last posted any news so i will apologize straight up now.

I am currently on 30mg or was anyhow. Down from 120mg almost 14 months ago.
Wow what a long suck hole process. Weaning off while trying to manage life and pick the least stressful time to drop a bead.

Yesterday I went cold turkey off 30mg, only took 10mg Prozac prescribed by psychiatrist to assist.

So far I'm sweating a lot, feel vague and mind bogged. No zaps yet but sense of touch a bit off the scale and moody also.

I'll be switching to something else sometime so any recommendations?

For the the record I've tried Effexor, lexapro and cymbalta. None of which worked out well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users