Photo

New Member ... Forced Cold Turkey Twice In 6 Months ..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tootie

Tootie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hello, very new member here. When those telltale symptoms started up again I was so relieved to find this community and to read other people's experiences. It confirmed it was not all in my head.

It's hard to know where to start as I have been on at least 10+ antidepressants in the last 10 years. Lets start about 5 years ago when I first was introduced to this drug. I was at university, and working for 3 nursing agencies to support myself and living in a shared house. I was severely in debt, working double/triple shifts, recovering from a violent relationship. I was diagnosed with PTSD, depression, severe anxiety and undiagnosed borderline personality disorder at the time. I didn't particularly like Cymbalta (I didn't like any antidepressant I had tried) but it was the only thing that would keep my anxiety under control. I had previously been on valium twice daily which was just a horrible experience, so I had hopes for Cymbalta. 

I steadily gained 20kg in the first 2 years which only increased to my feelings of depression and negative self worth. I ended up having to drop out of my final year of my nursing degree as I just could no longer function. Fast forward to 2 years ago. I'd gained another 10kg and needed to make a huge change in my life. I'd moved interstate to start fresh, had gone back to school and was trying to get back on track. I found a relatively decent local doctor, who upped my dose from 60mg to 120mg as everytime I went to see her I was an emotional wreck.  If I missed a dose or did not take it habitually on time ever day I would get headaches and those nasty brain zapps which used to terrify me. She also believed I had Bipolar Disorder and prescribed a daily dose of 300mg Seroqual, which helped to level my mood swings and control the emotional roller coaster I was on. 

Six months ago my doctor went on maternity leave and I transferred over to a new doctor in the same practice. When my scripts ran out I went to see this new doctor who immediately said 120mg is too much and he would not renew my scripts. I was then forced to half my dose from 120mg down to 60mg with NO warning. I had just started up my own business after getting a new qualification and it was the worst possible timing to mess with my meds. I vain this fell on deaf ears to the health care professionals that were in charge of my "care". 

Fast forward to now. I'm struggling with my new business, I have terrible insomnia and just daily stress that comes with being self employed. I've gone back to having difficulty doing daily tasks. And I was spending money like it is going out of style. I have NO idea that Spending Uncontrollably was a side effect of Cymbalta.

I went to pick up my script on Friday to find my health care card has been cancelled, again with NO warning. My $6 meds now are in the hundreds to which are just completely financially out of reach. Being a new business owner (who is poorer than I have ever been in my life) I no longer qualify for a health care card and reduced meds and doctors visits. So 60mg is now to 0 and I have 3 doses left of my Seroqual. I'm trying to stay zen and cold turkey with a plan, however the last 48 hours have been a jumble of withdrawal symptoms and intense irritability. Even whilst writing this I am slipping in and out of intense emotional mood swings from tears to anger with the old brain zapps and an intense headache.

In writing this I hope to reach out to other people who are experiencing what I am, and in some way for this to be therapeutic for me. 

Signed, lost, lonely, confused and silently hurting.

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Tootie hi.

It's going to be alright and I love the photo!

You've certainly been challenged, and you deserve a break!

The truth is, it IS all in your head and it's affecting all those other parts of your body! Imagine if all those symptoms were symptoms of real diseases! OMG

Consider these questions:

Q- Would you want to continue on the antidepressants if cost was not an issue?
Q- Is withdrawing something you feel you could take on at this time, considering the other challenges in your life?

If you wish to withdraw, cold turkey is a rough way to go- but people do manage to get through it. I tapered off by bead-counting over about 6 weeks. If I did it again I would take 90 days, and taper off slowly, pausing when necessary. You'd need perhaps 45 capsules to do this.

Yes over-shopping is a Cymbalta thing, as is over-drinking and over-eating. You mentioned that you have emotions- that's good because many of us had our emotions flat-line- gone. Mine flooded back after three weeks of withdrawing- wow that was something!!

My brain zaps lasted 6 days, then they were gone. For the headaches, stay hydrated and get a neck/shoulders massage from time to time during withdrawal.

You're not lost- I found you; you don't have to feel lonely- you can talk to me; I'm confused too- maybe we can compare some problems we can't solve. I know you are hurting, and I assure you that pain will help you confront this.

Take care.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hi Tootie, welcome to the forum. Everyone in our small cyberworld of suffering will do there best to help if we can. Many before you have gotten through thi and you can too. Be strong.

God Bless

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Tootie, welcome and I'm glad you found us! We'll do everything we can to help you!

You are a remarkable person -- all that you've achieved, in the midst of some very negative circumstances.... And now, your own business....Congratulations! You have so much going on in your life right now, and feeling overwhelmed seems like a pretty healthy and normal reaction!

And I bet that the loss of your insurance and the resulting cymbalta withdrawal struggles feels sorta adds that "final straw" that might break your back....

But it won't.....you can do this!

I can assure you that all the symptoms you describe are the ones that I...and most of us here...have had....

I quit cold turkey and am in my fifth month off the stuff....and I'm doing well now.... So, cold turkey can be done.... But I would never recommend it ..... The best way to come off cymbalta is by bead counting.....

Is there any way that you could scrape up the $$ needed to get the cymbalta? Even borrow the money from family or friends? That would allow you to reinstate the cymbalta and get stabilized....then begin to come off it by removing several beads...or even one bead...each day....

Also, you didn't mention where you're located geographically.... Are you in the US? If so, I may be able to give you some suggestions on where to get medical care at low or no cost, sliding fee scale.... Feel free to send me a PM.....

Take this slowly, be gentle with yourself....try to focus on just one day at a time...or one minute...one hour.... As ThisMoment said, you are not alone....you have been found and you are safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users