23 replies to this topic

#1 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hi,

I'm so thankful to have found this site. I'm a 42 year old male. I initially went on Lexapro in Jan 2013 for anxiety and panic which manifested into a multitiude of phisical ailments. After a few weeks of Lexapro, the anxiety and physical ailments lessened and gradually became replaced with new ailments like tremors, etc. From there, my doctor prescribed me with Cymbalta to transition to. I was on Cymbalta for about 9 months or so. My energy was better than on Lexapro...but other side effects begain. I'm sure you all know them all too well ;)

So in January I went to my doctor and pretty much demanded to at least try and go off Cymbalta to see if I can better cope with my past panic issues. He prescribed me with a "brand" new drug named Fetzima. The first week on it was sheer hell. In retrospect, although he told me the transition would be smooth cause Fetzima and Cymbalta are in the same family of drugs, I can now look back and say it was most likley Cymblata withdrawal. Poor advice number two is my doctor told me to simply take Fetzima every other day for one week and discontinue. 

So as I see it, I went off Cymbalta pretty much cold turkey almost 7 weeks ago. I know, I know, bad idea lol. I'm heading towards my 7th week and what a roller coaster ride. First 2-3 weeks were pure hell. I saw steady progress each day and then boom, setbacks began.

Still, to this day, I've been experiencing frequent, brief and sudden spells of dizziness that last for a split second and then it disappears. I assume (fingers crossed) this is what's known as the zaps many of you've similarily experienced. I also have a low humming tinitus thing going in my right ear. Of course, the migraine type headaches come and go. For me, the worst time is at night when I'm alone in thought laying in bed.

I read all of your advice about supplements and to also consider Prozac. For now, I'm going to try and tough it out. I do have one comment about a theory which I'm on my first day of trying. That theory is to avoid "orgasming" and also exercise for a few days to see if it helps with my dizzy issue. From what I read, orgasming affects a host of chemicals in the brain. Of course, exercise also releases checmicals too. If anyone has thoughts on this, I of course welcome them.

Thank you for reading..

phillyguy1

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Welcome phillyguy1, If your symptoms run the normal course you should start seeing some improvements soon. If you can just hang in there a little longer. You can make it.

#3 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hi Fishinghat. I read a lot of your posts. First off, thank you for the encouragement and insight. Your posts have given me a lot of hope. Also, as a person that suffers from anxiety and fear of dying, as you can imagine, it's taking everything I got to not lose perspective. I did have blood work a couple weeks ago and that turned out okay. My blood pressure has been elevated in the 130's o 88-92ish range...but I think it's tied to withdrawal from generally not feeling well (I hope). I CANNOT believe I got myself into this mess! I never took drugs in my life. I TOLD my doctor when I went on Lexapro then Cymbalta I did not want anything addictive. Holy CRAP!!! I think heroin wouuld be easier to kick than this!!!

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

I understand and you are probably right. The BP spike is probably from the withdrawal. Mine did the same thing. The days of blindly taking a med from a dr is over for all of us here (I hope). We must be informed consumers for our own sake or the price we pay may be our health.

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

Phillyguy1, you sound as if you are right in the throes of withdrawal .. I know the feeling you describe as a fear of death , it's crippling.
Do what ever it takes to get through the day , keep reminding yourself that these are feelings & feelings CANT KILL YOU !.
Log on here every time you feel scared & talk to everyone , it helps.
These members are compassionate & full of empathy for their fellow suffers.

Let's face it , unless you've been where we are , you have no way of understanding the feelings we suffer & describe .
Its a rocky road to recovery & @ times I struggle to believe that I am going to get through this .

Good luck & eat lots of good fruit & vegetables, loads of water too.
Try some apple cider vinegar to detoxify , I'm having 2 dessert spoons in a mug of hot ( not boiling ) water with a teaspoon of honey .
It can't hurt & you just never know if it will help or not , it does work for some .

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hi phillyguy1

Don't stop the music and don't stop the orgasms!

• Orgasms stimulate and release oxytocin (the love hormone), which as a bonus raises CCK which helps control the appetite ( a good thing for most of us).
  • Oxytocin counteracts stress and combats the harmful effects of cortisol- the hormone released under stress which boosts belly fat and the craving for carbs!
  • Orgasms boost testosterone levels which reduce depression. A big boost in testosterone comes from pre-sex cuddling, especially in women.
  • Orgasms help you sleep as vasopressin and melatonin are released, and both aid sleep. And sleeping with your partner enhances bonding which also reduces stress.
  • So, boys and girls don't shun the orgasm! Enjoy it often- with your partner or by yourself, and no- you won't go blind!

#7 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hello above  - Thank you for responding. I enjoy your insight, inspiration and comments :)

thismoment - Not to be too graphic, of course I enjoy the big O as much as the next person lol. The scientific benefts def help champion the cause too aka give me a great excuse too. AND, there is no other activity I like to do more.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to write a paper on the subject matter for school and I'm not a doctor. Honestly, I also haven't put enough research effort into learning more about brain activity. At 42 years old, I simply don't have 6 years to spare through pharmacy school lol.  I'm just some knucklehead from Philly armed with a laptop in my hand lol.

Here's what I do know:

Step 1 - If you Google the words "brain neurons orgasm" together, you will see there is a lot of info about neurotransmitter and neurons.

Step 2 - If you Google "brain neurons Cymbalta" together, there is also a LOT about neurotransmitter and neurons.

Both Cymbalta and Orgasming discuss about the alteration of neurotransmitter and neuron from both activities. On Cymbalta, the chemistry in our brains from Cymbalta is/was altered in the neortransmitter/neuron department. I do believe it's possible that stimulating/releasing neurotransmitter/neurons via orgasm that are trying to heal and reproduce on their own from Cymbalta, may also have an affect on recovery. Is it possible releasing such a wave of chemicals in the brain during an orgasm is like pulling a scab back off a wound?

I haven't orgasmed in 4-5 days now and my blood pressure has been slightly dropping. I also haven't been having as severe lows physically. is this the placebo affect? Who knows at this point. It very well could be. I only know that overstimulating brain cells attempting to rejuvinae does not seem to be a wise move. 

#8 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

PS...Further evidence...how many of us experienced difficulties / changes to orgasming when we went on Cymbalta? Bingo correct? There is a tie between seritonin, neurons, neurotransmitters, etc. I know talking about orgasm is the last thing anyone wants or expects to do on a site like this. I'm just saying, it's all tied in and related. Releasing those chemicals in a "healthy" brain is fine. Is releasing those chemicals in a brain attempting to recalibrate and repair itself also fine? Does anyone or can anyone actually explain this? I highly doubt so cause these idiot pharmacy companies and doctors cannot even tell us how to safely get off the meds. 

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi phillyguy1

I enjoyed your post; this is an interesting subject. And kudos for putting in the work to research it.

You're right, the experience of sex is altered by Cymbalta (and other antidepressants), and in some cases the changes are permanent.

I understand your point about irritating a wound site when it is trying to heal, but I view the process slightly differently (perhaps we need a neuroscientist to weigh in).

The brain is a physical system beholden to the physical laws of the universe. All activity and alteration is physical- it's not like the brain is a kind of porous ceramic casting and a mixture of chemicals runs through the tiny channels, and depending on what mix of chemicals (drug-laden or normal), the brain behaves one way or the other. Rather, the brain is physically altered by all experience (including these drugs), and if an activity is repeated enough times,  that becomes the default behaviour (it's true for basic learning, and it's true for side effects that remain for the rest of one's life).  Kind of 'use it or lose it'.

We always hope the brain will return to the way it was when we stop taking the drugs, and I think we can re-train it to get pretty close!

I think all experience (including simply scratching your nose) invokes the participation of neurotransmitters, and this goes to the heart of your question.

I think this is the question- is it a good idea to try to re-train your brain at all during withdrawal? I think that would apply to all activities that are affected by antidepressants that change the brain, including these and many others: eating habits, alcohol drinking habits, sleep cycles, exercise regimens, sex, emotion management (rage, tenderness, compassion, empathy), personal grooming, dignity etc.

I believe it's a good idea to practice what and whom you wish to become.

I think a lot of our concern and anxiety during withdrawal comes from the fact that we are "not the same", and we fear that we are stuck in this altered and frightening headspace forever. Therefore, just knowing that we can recover and re-train is extremely helpful.

So my Philadelphia phriend (BTW the Phlyers beat the Rangers last night!), I'd say time's-a-wastin' on the sex issue. This will also enable you to engage a whole host of other critical activities that may need a refresher: intimacy, tenderness, patience, consideration, anticipation, respect- in short, love.

#10 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Hi thismoment - You bring up very good points above. Specifically for me, I experienced physical ailments from anxiety and stress which initially led me down the Cymbalta path. So, I'm unsure at what stage I truly am at with the whole withdrawal issue. Is my brief flashes of dizzy flashes from withdrawal or has my anxiety manifested into a new symptom. Past anxiety symptoms including IBS, chronic chest tightness, pain down my left arm, tmj, etc. I feel like Bill Murray in What about Bob movie listing all those ailments lol.

You are right about trying to go on living the best we can :) I'm def in safety mode at this point. It's tough to break out cause I don't want any further setbacks. I do appreciate your encouragement and suggestions. Rangers seem to have the Flyers number..so I anticipate another year with no Cup down Broad St. lol

#11 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, Spain
  • why_joining:
    Fnding cues for what I am feeling. Hopefuly giving others cues about this distressful state of mind and body we are all going through.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

All I can say is: I was pretty free of side effects while on cymbalta. There are two reasons I want to be off: do not want to live with my feelings under the control of a pill and do not want to live without orgasm, physical contact and love that Cymbalta took away from me.
PS: Even if, as it is the case with all of us, this means going through hell without seing the way out (seven and a half weeks could turkey and hope below zero)

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi Xanazul

It sounds like you are saying Cymbalta took away your humanity. Many of us know about that aspect of these drugs.

Hope will return (and maybe this is something others could weigh in on), but in my case, hope came back closer to 12 weeks out- when the light at the end of the tunnel could be clearly seen!

#13 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

I am clinging to that hope...

#14 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hi all and welcome PhillyGuy.. that's where I was when I was put on this crap in the first place so.. good times.  I'm no longer there and I've moved a few times now settling in the Vegas area.  I think it's good for me for now with the sun and desert living - Although I'm ten minutes from the Strip locals don't go there that much unless we're seeing a concert or something.  Great new place, which is nice but it included (kidding) a new doc.  He wants me to restart the Crapalta after six weeks off.  I felt like I had come up/improved in the withdrawals with no more paresthesia (aka brain zaps) or dizziness and finally able to sleep (maybe too much now) and the crying spells have reduced to once or twice a day.  I hope I don't sound pathetic and just like a big baby because that's not me.  I'm normally (which is probably true for most of us) a professional woman with tons of energy and drive.  I'm the type that worked full time, raised my kids and kept up my private and personal life all at once and thrived on the fullness of each day.  Crapbalta  put me in a place where I could no longer function on it and without it I had terrible withdrawal.. stuck.

So while the meds are in my cabinet, I just can't do it.  I don't ever want to go through the hell I experienced the first month off of the stuff for one, much less the misery and uselessness I felt on it.  He thinks I went off too fast and I need to go back on 30 mg "at least for a few weeks."  Why???? So far, I'm not taking them and I don't think I will.

Problem is that now that I have my basics set up and I have lots to do I simply have no drive.  None. I'm a bit depressed (although I am grieving my husband who passed a year ago so I need to acknowledge that.)  and I have no energy.  I've been taking three hour naps and sleeping through the night.  Sleeping is safe and I do a lot of it, which isn't me. But I'm trying to give myself a break and permission to take it slow.  I don't have to work right away so why not? I'm just scared that when I am better and it's time to break back into life I won't do it.  I guess I just need to have faith in myself, knowing I don't want that for myself and that I've NEVER been that way in the past that I will be back to my old self and intuitively get out there and reclaim my life.  

Have a great week.  Pam :wub:

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Oh Pam, I know just what you mean about worrying that when it's time to "break back into the work life" you may not be able to.... I'm far enuf off crapalta that I'm trying to do just that.... Get back to work....and I'm making myself go through the steps...update resume, blah blah blah.... but for the first time in my life I'm not sure I've got the cojones to do it....so, I'm just acting like I do....and I keep remindng myself that no one "out there" can read my mind or heart or soul...they can't see or feel what I see or feel.... I'm going to keep my goals lower than I ever would have before, even "under sell" my skills and experience....because I don't know if I can live up to them post-crapalta.... If I find I can, swell...if not,hopefully I won't have set myself up for a job failure....which my psyche likely wouldn't be able to handle.... I guess this means I've moved into the recovery phase where the physical symptoms of withdrawal are relatively minimal, and now I'm facing/identifying what the intellectual damages are.....

#16 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

oh.. one more thing.

I bought the 5htp and I just stopped it due to drowsiness.   But now I'm rethinking that as maybe I should allow myself the sleep to let the brain heal.  One thing Cymbalta did was swear me off ALL psychopharmaceutical meds from now on.. period.  For me, that's a good thing.  Peace.  Pam

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

5-HTP is supposed to increase serotonin....maybe that's why it seemed to add to the drowsiness/sleepiness?

#18 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hi all and welcome PhillyGuy.. that's where I was when I was put on this crap in the first place so.. good times.  I'm no longer there and I've moved a few times now settling in the Vegas area.  I think it's good for me for now with the sun and desert living - Although I'm ten minutes from the Strip locals don't go there that much unless we're seeing a concert or something.  Great new place, which is nice but it included (kidding) a new doc.  He wants me to restart the Crapalta after six weeks off.  I felt like I had come up/improved in the withdrawals with no more paresthesia (aka brain zaps) or dizziness and finally able to sleep (maybe too much now) and the crying spells have reduced to once or twice a day.  I hope I don't sound pathetic and just like a big baby because that's not me.  I'm normally (which is probably true for most of us) a professional woman with tons of energy and drive.  I'm the type that worked full time, raised my kids and kept up my private and personal life all at once and thrived on the fullness of each day.  Crapbalta  put me in a place where I could no longer function on it and without it I had terrible withdrawal.. stuck.

So while the meds are in my cabinet, I just can't do it.  I don't ever want to go through the hell I experienced the first month off of the stuff for one, much less the misery and uselessness I felt on it.  He thinks I went off too fast and I need to go back on 30 mg "at least for a few weeks."  Why???? So far, I'm not taking them and I don't think I will.

Problem is that now that I have my basics set up and I have lots to do I simply have no drive.  None. I'm a bit depressed (although I am grieving my husband who passed a year ago so I need to acknowledge that.)  and I have no energy.  I've been taking three hour naps and sleeping through the night.  Sleeping is safe and I do a lot of it, which isn't me. But I'm trying to give myself a break and permission to take it slow.  I don't have to work right away so why not? I'm just scared that when I am better and it's time to break back into life I won't do it.  I guess I just need to have faith in myself, knowing I don't want that for myself and that I've NEVER been that way in the past that I will be back to my old self and intuitively get out there and reclaim my life.  

Have a great week.  Pam :wub:

Hi Pam,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. You do NOT sound pathetic at all! I'm a grown man that has rarely allowed myself to get emotional. About a month ago, I actually put a Youtube video on of Steve Perry from Journey talking to a radio station about the Don't Stop Believin Song and began balling my eyes out from it lol. I can "lol" from it now cause of realizing it was the withdrawal which brought on uncontrollable sadness that moment. Funny thing is...there was nothing sad about the video.

A couple threads up I was also stating how I was feeling better. Well, two nights ago, I was in the midst of emotional hell in the middle of the night. My worst time through this whole process is bed time when it's just me and my thoughts. I realize we are all unique. If I was giving any two cent advice it would be to find "purpose" again. If you are would like a clearer definition, Google John Wooden Pyramid of Success and review his vision of Purpose.  

Anytime you or any other members of this site want to leave a message to me, I'm here to listen and share stories. We all share a common thread (no pun intended) with this Cymbalta withdrawal. Many of us also went on that med for similar reasons...whether it be anxiety, stress, depression, etc. The horrible part about our situations is it's so hard to trust our own mind and bodies while our brains heal and chemicals, neurons, etc. begin functioning again on their own.

Without knowing your whole story or of course being a doctor/pharmacist, it would be reckless of me to make an opinion on restarting Cymbalta. I can only speak for myself and say...if I (jury still out) I have to go on another med for returned anxiety, I will be definitely not be going back on this family type of meds. I naively went onto Lexapro after telling my doctor point blank, I need something for the physical symptoms which were becoming debilitating, but I do NOT want anything addictive. Being from Philly, I've seen so many people get hooked on prescription meds. It's was and still is my biggest fear. So I was told to go on Lexapro which led me onto Cymbalta. In retrospect, I still acknowledge  and accept I needed a med. If I had to do it all over again and knew better, it would have been one of those other drugs with traditional withdrawal.

What's done is done. I've got to move forward. Moving forward, I agree with your comment and Fivenotions about temporary lowering of self pressure and expectations. Personally, although I'm not particularly obese, I have gained 20 pounds coming off this med so far. I've said to myself, I can ONLY do so much at this time physically. Cardio at the gym while feeling vertigo isn't going to happen at this time. I know long-term I'll feel better with the weight off...but I cannot physically or mentally push myself to the point of that exertion. 

Well, I rambled enough. If anyone is still reading, God Bless You lol. Feel free to write back :)    

#19 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

PS...I mentioned above about going through hell a couple nights ago. Earlier that morning, I actually tested the waters with orgasming. I realize it's crude to mention it. However, I cannot help but wonder once again, did orgasming earlier in the day trigger my mental blowout later that evening. I'm not saying it's the smoking gun...but I do feel passionate that some of you out there suffering from withdrawal should at least track this correlation. If you don't feel it's appropriate to publicly discuss, I respect that. If it affected a LOT of our orgasms while on Cymbalta by messing with our brains....I think it's naive to think stimulating the brain in that manner while healing doesn't also create chaos. 

#20 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Phillyguy1

It's not inappropriate; don't worry.

But on a lighter note, you used two ballistic references when discussing orgasms- "did orgasming earlier in the day trigger my mental blowout later. . . I'm not saying it's the smoking gun. . . "  It made an interesting mental image, and it made me smile.

I will look into the correlation you are talking about, and post what I find.

#21 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Sodone61 you are brave and I am with you!! No more crapalta! It took away so much of my life. You sleep all you desire--I too believe it is healing. Motivation...it will show up when it is ready. :D That is creed I am living at this time.

As mentioned by phillyguy, I have not had the desire of any kind of intimacy in over 8 years ( perhaps more). That stopped the day I started ingesting crapalta. I suppose it is way different in men. In women we are not of the same make up yet we do need to feel close, don't we....

#22 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Update...adding up the math...another 3-4 weeks since the first post...and NO I'm not 100% lol. I'm so confused at this point, I truly don't know if it's cymbalta withdrawal or simply allergies or something else. I'm now on a mild dosage of blood pressure med. The numbers have been gradually coming down, so that's a plus. I just cannot get past this tinitus and headache issue. Anyways, just venting. Hope you are all having a good night out here in cyber world :)

#23 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Phillyguy1 ,

The timeframe sounds about right to me & you will suffer relapses ..that's the Cymbalta trying to confuse you & make you think you need it again .
This happened to me quite a few times & what saved me was logging on here & reading through old posts from others . I could identify most if not all of the side effects as to what I was suffering from.

I would say that it took approx 4 months before I started to see the light @ the end of the tunnel.
It's now one week off 6 mnths & I'm seeing much more feel good / normal days with a few relapses thrown in , usually lasting a couple of days .
I've become very good @ recognizing the different feelings & what they mean & how to ride them out .

Hang in there friend you are getting closer to normal everyday ..:-)

#24 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

phillyguy, hang in there! I too suffer the tinnitus and it drives me nuts at times! I wonder if it will EVER go away! But even with few lingering s/effects that show up at times, If tinnitus is the worst of it, I'll take it and be thankful I'm almost 6 mos. off the big C! God bless!  clara :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users