• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 carlydaydream

carlydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Someone please advise, I'm in a bit of a mess. I took 120mg last weds, nothing Thurs, 60mg Fri and nothing since. Only because the doc prescribed prozac (20ml and ive decided i want to try no antidepressants for a while.
well i am suffering tbh. Feel like I've been on the waltzers for three hours, sick, dizzy, faint, head pounding, very tearful, disoriented, sweating etc. It seems to be getting worse, particularly come night time.
what should i do please? Would the prozac help? Grateful for any advice please, have two small children to look after which isn't helping!
thankyou very much x

#2 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi CDD.  First, if possible, is anyone else able to look after the children for you?  Going CT is not easy at all and I would have done it differently had I known any better and definitely would not be able to handle small children.  I'm now on day 25 and having new/worse withdrawal symptoms showing up.

Second, fishinghat and thismoment should be able to help you with more details about tapering off slowly which may be much better for you especially if you aren't able to have someone else look after the children.

Until then, here is a link to a recent post that thismoment gives an example of tapering/bead counting, etc.:  https://www.cymbalta...hat/#entry41186

Take care!

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hi CDD, welcome! You're going to get through this.....you just need some help...to look after the children, and to look after you.....

This sure sounds like cymbalta withdrawal....or, an adverse reaction to it...... Was this by any chance generic cymbalta (duloxetine)? If so, it could be an allergic reaction to it."..

I agree withGMI....your children and their safety come first! Can your husband help you with them, or another family member or friend?

My second thought is that you need to call your doc immediately and tell him what's happening.....

you're having very very strong withdrawal effects for having taken just one dose of 120 mg last Wednesday, nothing Thursday, just 60 mg on Friday and no cymbalta since then....

Why the odd dose amounts and times? Also, I'm unclear about where the Prozac comes into this....

Please let us know how you're doing....we care, and we want to help any way we can!

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi Carlydaydream

Welcome. 

GonnaMakeIt is right- cold turkey will be a challenge for you for perhaps 8-12 weeks, and you likely won't be able to care for your children adequately going the CT route.

If your plan is to quit the Cymbalta and go on Prozac, you need to do that simultaneously: Go back on the Cymbalta at the dosage where you are stable (say 60 mg), and once you are stable begin taking the Prozac. Now start tapering off the Cymbalta in a slow taper (no big steps) over a period of 6-8 weeks. Have a benzodiazepine on hand AS NEEDED for anxiety. Caution: if taken daily, you will have to withdraw from the benzo sometime too. The Prozac should start to be effective in 5 or 6 weeks.

If you "want to try no antidepressants for a while", then you should consider going back on Cymbalta until you are stable (might take a week or two), and then taper off slowly over a period of perhaps 90 days.

If you stay CT you will need child care, and you should seriously consider some assistance with the children when weaning off over the 90 days.

You can do this; go slow.

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

ThisMoment, my concern is that from her post it sounds like Carly took cymbalta just twice...last wednesday 120 mg, and Friday, 60 mg...and then nothing.... she's having such a strong reaction to just two irregular time/amount doses??

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Definitely need more info.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

FN and FH

Oh dear. You're probably right. I think I assumed. 

So, CDD please give us more information. Were you on the Cymbalta for some time then began tapering last Wednesday-- or did you just take the two capsules and that's all?

#8 carlydaydream

carlydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Wow. Thankyou so much for responding so quickly!!!
ok, with my children my husband and parents have been having them as much as possible for me. I had a terrible tummy bug Sunday and theyve been brilliant helping me out as and when but i hate putting on people!! Ages are 18 months and five years (hes been home ill with bug and ear infection) Shoot me now!!!!...
ive been on dulixetine for a few months. They weren't doing a lot so doc kept increasing dosage, 30, 60,then to 120!!!!! so heres what i took last week:
Duloxetine:
Mon; 120mg, Tues, 120mg, weds, 120mg, nothing Thurs, Fri, 60mg. Nothing since. Doc advised for me to do this then start new meds Prozac on sat. However i didn't!! I had NO idea i would be ill like this. I suffer from Fibromyalgia and just assumed it was a bit of a flair up. The nights are worse and ive spent tonight crying and feeling terrible. I took a Prozac 20ml at 7pm to see if it would help settle this terrible feeling. I felt the duloxetine wasn't helping any more, that's why she put me back onto Prozac which i was on before falling pregnant.
in so grateful to you all for taking the time to reply and not get shouted at/treated like a child!

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

We are always here for you. Never worry about judgment and ridicule. This is a serious issue and the suffering from symptoms is enough without some one adding more misery. We do care about you and you are not alone.

Thanks for the extra info. Like so many drs, your dr has made a common mistake. Cymbalta has a half life of only 12 hours. This means that if you take a 120 mg on Monday, nothing on Tuesday, then your blood cymbalta levels by Wed morning are around 7%!! When you take a 60 mg on Wed morning your blood Cymbalta levels spike again and you repeat the withdrawal all over again. It is very important to do a slow, very slow withdrawal.

The best choice, bead counting, is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

#10 carlydaydream

carlydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thankyou so much, this actually made me cry!! I have changed docs and will go tomorrow and update you all. I cant go on feeling like this its horrendous x

#11 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

Good luck with the new doc, CDD and remember, it's okay to cry!  I find it helpful to read through these posts when I'm feeling emotional and/or post a rant or two myself because everyone here understands and always make me feel better with their caring/knowledgeable responses ;)  Also, it has helped to have my hubby, daughters and family read some as well so that they at least have some sense of what we are going through and hopefully, whomever shouted at you/treated you like a child will be more understanding, etc.

Take care and do keep us posted!

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Thank you for getting back to us with the additional information!

Yep, you've got withdrawal happening, and as Fishinghat said, the "on - off" dosing was/is just jerking your body and brain around...bead counting is the way to go....slow and sure....don't let the new doc tell you otherwise.... ;-)

Let us know how it goes tomorrow...you can get off this stuff, and you'll be so very glad you did!

#13 carlydaydream

carlydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! You are very helpful i am extremely grateful. I'm dreading today as i dont know what it wil bring!! When said its nice not to be treated like a child, i was talking about 'chat room' style...some forums people go on just to be nasty hey!!
thankyou again xxx

#14 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

I cold turkey'd at 60 and went through hell.  I'd taper if I had it to do over, tbh.  I don't know how I would handle off 120mg.  My gut says too high.  I am even "told" to go back on by my doc (at least on 30 every few days) but after 90 days already off I just can't.  Also, I'm sick on it as well as off so why bother now? I might as well just get through this.  But 120 just seems to high a dose to not taper off of.. scares me.  Just my opinion hon.  And we all are already suffering so much the last thing we need is nastiness on the forum.  This is for support and encouragement.  and COMISERY - to be honest.  I have felt so much better knowing I'm not alone.. it's been a lifesaver! 

#15 carlydaydream

carlydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

That's right, i feel like I'm losing my mind in in a right state. Even people talking to me are making me dizzy and constantly feel like i need to be sick. I'm wondering now what EXACTLY I should do. Its been a week now and i really Really don't want to start taking them again!!!
bless you Hun, you are wonderful people. Its great to see that others are in the same boat! X

#16 carlydaydream

carlydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Well i went to see a new doc. Shes told me to continue with the Prozac i was prescribed and given me diazepam to get thro the next few weeks. Hummmppphhhh still feel horrendous ;-( x

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

CDD, those are good recommendations from your dr. The prozac does take around 8 weeks to reach full effect but you will see some small improvements around 4 weeks. It has a much longer half life than cymbalta so it is an easier drug to withdraw from (although still no picnic). The diazepam is a weak benzo and you should see some good improvement in just a day or two. Diazepam is addictive but not the hell cymbalta is. When and if you get to the point in a few months to come off the diazepam let me know. I have a good technique to use. Hang in htere. You should have some improvement soon.

#18 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

That's good info, CDD.....glad you got the benzo.....feeling horrible is par for the course, but with the Prozac going into your system as the cymbalta comes out you'll have an easier go of it....and, let yourself use the diazepam....don't wait until the anxiety becomes unbearable, get it into your bloodstream soon enough that you can end-run the anxiety....

Look forward to hearing how you're doing as you progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users