#1 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

I’m too tired to read anymore today (for now anyway) so apologies in advance for not searching for this and to any men that risk reading past this point.

Probably a dumb question but has anyone else had messed up periods? 

My periods are getting worse/more frequent (22-26 days) over the last couple of years and I’ve had a couple of pretty weird periods over the last year or so--I’ve been tested “negative” for peri-menopause several times, of course (although my sister who is a nurse said that her docs claim that there really isn’t an accurate test for this; yet my docs disagree - UGH!).  This last period was very strange.  It came in full force more than a week early and 3-4 days after it started, it was still heavy but I started having PMS symptoms as if I didn’t have it--extremely painful, swollen/heavy breasts (seriously felt like someone poured concrete in them and screamed in pain when I took my bra off), cravings (different from w/d cravings), bloating, etc. and then, period continued for 4-5 more days.  It started on Saturday, May 3 and ended on Sunday, May 11.  On Wednesday, May 14, I had the PMS hunger/cravings again and could not stop eating nor get full from dinner time until about 10:30 when I was finally and suddenly too full (which caused awful bloating/pain).  On Friday, May 16, period was back again in full force and still here.  I am 47 and my mother did go through menopause early so it could be that but just wanted to check here to make sure it’s not another wonderful, hidden symptom, etc.

Also, this is probably another dumb question but I have had this white spot in the crevice of my right tonsil that has been there since late January/early February.  It actually showed up in early December when I had a horrible two-part virus (lasted 5+ weeks), was tested negative for strep and went away when I was better.  However, I was only better for a couple of weeks when I had another bad cold/virus with nonstop coughing for a couple of weeks which my entire household had but this time, the spot didn’t go away.  No, I have not been to the doctor (can’t imagine why I hate going there - hahahahaha!) but in my defense, I did try to make an appointment but got annoyed when I was told that there was nothing available that week and they couldn’t "make appointments for the upcoming week so call back on Monday".  I know, I know but I’m just so sick of all the crap!  Anyway, my throat isn’t sore (maybe for a day here and there but that’s it) but it does feel dry a lot and will go into coughing fits here and there that last only for that moment.

So, has anyone had anything like this white spot or period issues?

#2 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

I developed a white spot on my tonsil too in the first few months of withdrawal. I went to a clinic to be tested for strep and tested negative. Told me I had a sore throat. Cost $95.00.

#3 Amybc7

Amybc7

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'm not sure about periods relating to withdraw symptoms - but mine have been increasingly more horrible since taking Cymbalta.  My doctor contributes it to the usual - weight, not enough exercise, etc - which obviously it could be.  My "regular" cycle goes every 24 days one month and every 32 days the next month.  Alternating like that.  I generally will bleed hard for 3 days and then it virtually stops for two days and then returns to hard for three more days.  PMS symptoms sometimes will come beforehand and sometimes won't start until mid-period.  LOTS of bloating which has never been normal.  

Is it my body?  Is it the Cymbalta?  Who knows?  

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

I hope you don't mind a man responding to this. lol. Not only can ssri and snri cause problems with periods while being on the drug but they can cause permanent sexual side effects (including period issues) after communing off the drugs. The standard is to wait 2 months after coming off all ssri/snri before saying the effects were permanent.

I will try to attach some info.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

As promised...

http://www.wikidoc.o...ual_Dysfunction

#6 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

I hope you don't mind a man responding to this. lol. Not only can ssri and snri cause problems with periods while being on the drug but they can cause permanent sexual side effects (including period issues) after communing off the drugs. The standard is to wait 2 months after coming off all ssri/snri before saying the effects were permanent.

I will try to attach some info.

Well, I apologize for trying to exclude the men and yes, fishinghat, you are "God-like"!  Thank you so much.  I almost didn't post this and would have NEVER known.  SO MANY THANKS!

#7 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I developed a white spot on my tonsil too in the first few months of withdrawal. I went to a clinic to be tested for strep and tested negative. Told me I had a sore throat. Cost $95.00.

Thanks so much, Jones!  Gotta love those doctors, ay?  hahahahaha  NOT!  But, I am definitely glad that I asked this as well.  It will be interesting to see if any others have had this.  

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Oh GMI, we talk about everything....and I mean everything....here.... :-D

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi, 47 years of age, definitely perimenopause. Periods all over the place. First symptom. Can start years before the real thing, as many as 10 years.

Quite a cocktail, withdrawal and perimenopause.

As for the white spot, have you taken Flovent or symbicort or any inhaler with cortisone  lately? this causes white spots in mouth, easily treated with a liquid which I dont remember the name.

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Gail 

"As for the white spot, have you taken Flovent or symbicort or any inhaler with cortisone  lately? this causes white spots in mouth, easily treated with a liquid which I dont remember the name."

Irish Whiskey.

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Well, I apologize for trying to exclude the men and yes, fishinghat, you are "God-like"!  Thank you so much.  I almost didn't post this and would have NEVER known.  SO MANY THANKS!

OH! Definitely NOT God-like. Trust me!!    Just a man trying to help.

#12 buntbean2

buntbean2

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    Help with going off Cymbalta

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

I can answer that...it's called a tonsil stone and/or tonsilloliths

http://www.webmd.com...-and-prevention

#13 Crystalg1973

Crystalg1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

I bled all the time - never regular with this drug. Heavy cramps and I thought I was hemorrhaging at times. Never ever had that before.

#14 barbarahogan

barbarahogan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Gee, now that I think about it, my periods did get worse after beginning to take Cym.  I didn't deal with it long though - had an ablation procedure and haven't looked back.  Great decision for me. You may want to check into it.  I was 47 when I had the procedure. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users