#1 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta has been a nightmare, I need some answers and shared experiences.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi everyone,

Firstly I am so grateful this forum exists! It's a wonderful resource and very reassuring to read of others experiences.

I took cymbalta for five years with good results initially but then over time noticed a dramatic worsening of my allergies. I am asthmatic and have multiple chemical sensitivities - but after 5 years on Cymbalta I just felt inflamed from head to toe. I have also been diagnosed as having fibromyalgia, but Im trying to ascertain whether what Im experiencing is Fibro related or Cymbalta induced.

I am curious as to whether others have noticed an increased level of inflammation in their bodies?

I went from a moderately allergic person to a person in a constant state of enlarged lymph nodes, flu-like syptoms, face rashes, vulvodynia, irritable bowel, gastric reflux, stomach problems, chronic sinusitis etc, etc,etc.... and the return of major depressive symptoms. :(

Medical professionals seem to draw a blank when I describe this predicament. So in a bid to ellimintate Cymbalta as a potential cause, Im weaning off (which is HELL - day 5 now ).

My shy hope is that when the withdrawal symptoms subside my immune function and inflammation might improve....?

Anyone else feel like Cymbalta opened an immunilogical Pandora's Box for them?

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hi AnotherMind,welcome!

I think you've made a very wise decision to get off the cymbalta, and, once off, re assess what you're dealing with....read the "nutritional support" and "what's helping me" forums for ideas on supplements (omega 3, chelates magnesium, b complex and multi vitamins are a good basic group)....

what dose were you at and for how long...and for what condition? This info will help us as we make suggestions for you....

For example, I was on 7-8 yrs at 60 mg a day....quit cold turkey....I gather you're doing the bead counting...if your doing the alternating days or doses approach some doctors suggest, do not do it....as another member, Fishinghat, describes it....it jacks your system up and down, in and out of withdrawal....he can explain bead counting to you....

Cymbalta I has all sorts of side effects while on it, and a full range of them when coming off...and each of us seems to react a bit differently....while in it I had a very serious sinus and ear infection, but I. Don't know it was from crapalta or a bungled root canal....I also had swollen/tender lymph nodes, acid reflux big time, constant dripping/sweating, and arthritis in my hips and hands....and hypertension and tachycardia...., and tinnitus to the point of being deaf ....I retained water like a sponge and put on tons of weight...

Getting off the stuff, during the first couple of months I had flu like symptoms, sore throat and swollen glands, skin rashes, sores inside my mouth, vertigo, brain zaps and nausea.

Then as time went on, the blood pressure and tachycardia cleared up, as did the acid reflux and tinnitus (I have it sometimes not, but mild).... No more swollen lymph nodes....and the arthritis is almost gone (thanks to apple cider vinegar every morning)....water retention almost gone and I've lost about twenty pounds....

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hi AnotherMind

"Medical professionals seem to draw a blank . . ." Yes, this is all too new.

These drugs can feel beneficial in the beginning, but often the positive effects subside, and a plethora of peculiar symptoms begins to emerge. Most of the symptoms you list are familiar. Cymbalta side effects and withdrawal symptoms can mimic the symptoms of fibromyalgia and other medical conditions.

What is your withdrawal plan- how long, rate of reduction etc? What other related meds are you taking?

You can do this, and hopefully we can help.

#4 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for your responses people - very interesting.

I have been on 30mg a day for almost 5 years  and yes, bead counting to taper off. I doubled the dose for 3 months last year after gp assessed the symptoms I was describing as recurrance of depression (as they frequently do) - going to 60 mg was a disaster, made everything worse and landed me at the pysch triage.

Im very sensitive to meds - so the only other thing Im taking right now is temazepam as I cant sleep due to withdrawals. I really want a clean slate so that I can ascertain where my mind and body are at. Feel like I got caught down a meds maze - I no longer know what's what and either does my pysch or gp.

Thanks once again - Im feeling determined!

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Welcome AM. I have read a lot of the old posts on the site and there is a lot of discussion about the possibility of cymbalta causing fibro. You might o a search for the word fibro on here and see what the other discussions lead to.

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Just for the record...

One of the few things that Cymbalta didn't cause was my fibro.  I was diagnosed with it about 20 some yrs ago!  Everything else is still questionable... :mellow:

#7 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

That's a chilling thought - but I have to say I have speculated about that possibility.

My history of 'fibro' pain long pre-dates Cymbalta but it has definately declined sharply since taking the drug.... if anything I think it has probably aggravated underlying susceptabilities..

complicated

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

AM

How many days are you planning your bead-counting taper to go?

As you know, it can take some time for all the symptoms to settle down and finally go away. You may not have the full answer for a year or more.

#9 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

A year or more seems right to me, TM! I'm 6+ mos. off and I still often wonder what the heck is wrong with me!!!! From anxiety to fear, mild depression, crabbiness, and on I could go! Lots of good days, some great days and some just down right crappy days! STILL grateful to be not taking any more meds! Once again, I could not have done it without the support of all of you! Wishing all on the forum brighter, healthier days!  clara :) :hug:

#10 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

A year or more seems right to me, TM! I'm 6+ mos. off and I still often wonder what the heck is wrong with me!!!! From anxiety to fear, mild depression, crabbiness, and on I could go! Lots of good days, some great days and some just down right crappy days! STILL grateful to be not taking any more meds! Once again, I could not have done it without the support of all of you! Wishing all on the forum brighter, healthier days!  clara :) :hug:

Clara , I hate that you're still feeling bad but very glad that you posted this.
It's exactly how I'm feeling too .. & as you know it helps to know that it's not just me... Obviously it's still the effects from discontinuation .. Finding it hard to cope with the dread feelings that come & go & desperately need to be reminded that they are part & parcel of the journey ....I keep telling myself this ...but sometimes I challenge it ..:-(

#11 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

AM

How many days are you planning your bead-counting taper to go?

As you know, it can take some time for all the symptoms to settle down and finally go away. You may not have the full answer for a year or more.

Hi TM

I have gone fairly quickly I guess - Im now at day 7, and have 10 to go. I was planning 4 weeks of tapering but I made the decision to 1/2 the dose each time I feel relatively stable. (Today I feel ok-ish so I'll drop down another increment)

I think (fingers crossed) it is getting easier.

I'm definately expecting that I will have lingering effects for a long while after discontinuation (though I hope not!)

Am feeling less inflamed which is a little bit exciting!

:)

very troubling to hear that effects linger so long for people - thanks for sharing your info!

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

AM

If it gets too rough, level off- or even back a mg or two. There is no rush, and more suffering won't shorten the exercise.

#13 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTaichung, Taiwan ROC
  • why_joining:
    For support in dealing with Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hi AnotherMind - YES!!!! Cymbalta is DEFINITELY responsible for my immune system having gone to crap. Without a doubt. Was on Cymbalta for just under 3 years at 90 mg per day. Initially, it was awesome, but then very quickly my physical health went into decline. Suffered from chronic sinus infections, colds, flu, insomnia, staph infections (which eventually turned into MRSA outbreaks every other month the last year I was on Cymbalta), and a dramatic loss of energy. It was a NIGHTMARE. Quit cold-turkey this last February (I don't recommend doing it that way, if you can do bead-counting). Had two months of withdrawal symptoms that were pure HELL.

Now I'm 3 months post-Cymbalta cessation, and feel fabulous compared to where I was in March and April. For me, what worked best were continuing nutritional changes to my diet that I made last September (modified Paleo diet) and two weeks after stopping Cymbalta, seeing a Chinese medicine practitioner weekly who put me on a customized Chinese herb formula, which I took 3 times a day for two months. Between the herbs and the nutrition, the drug was purged from my body/liver much more quickly.

The fluid-retention - which had been quite significant since going off Cymbalta - I still have to fight, as it adversely affects my breathing and sleeping. But the Chinese herbs when consistently taken, clear that up. All my other symptoms are gone now - except the potential for MRSA outbreaks. But even those now appear to be under better control as my immune system continues to strengthen, I wash daily with chlorhexedine soap, and apply Manuka honey-saturated gauze bandages for 8-hour increments to any infection that even remotely looks suspicious. Over all, however, my health is significantly better than it was. I'm nearly restored to my pre-Cymbalta physical health. And my mental health continues to be good, even in the absence of any drugs in my body, antidepressants or no. I had been afraid that once I stopped taking Cymbalta my depression would make a comeback, but so far that hasn't happened.

Hang in there. It will get better, I promise. But not overnight, unfortunately. It is true that everyone is different in many ways in our post-Cymbalta experience as far as length of time for recovery and to what extent we suffer from the withdrawal symptoms. But many aspects of our recovery are the same. So it's good you've found us here because we are a community of fellow sufferers who are all at various stages in our recovery who can and desire to support you in any way we can by sharing our experiences, advice, and comfort.
Welcome. :)

#14 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Oh - P.S. - AnotherMind, you mentioned inflammation, and I meant to respond to that point, too. IMHO, Cymbalta may have plenty to do with that, as well. But mine was actually worse once I stopped taking it and then for two months afterward. Eliminating inflammatory foods from my diet helped me immensely. I went caffeine-free, gluten-free, chemical/preservative-free, legume-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free (except for fresh fruit) and doing that reduced the inflammation significantly. So my diet is basically heavy on fresh fruits and vegetables, raw nuts and seeds, and fresh fish such as salmon, tuna, etc. And my newly discovered secret weapon? Red Peruvian quinoa. I thank God every day for his creating it. It is a protein-packed, vitamin and mineral-packed seed that you throw in your rice cooker and cook the same way you would cook rice (but I add a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil to it). Keeps you feeling energetic, and keeps your digestive system doing what it's meant to do, only more efficiently - so helps purge the body of crap - literally, lol. I HIGHLY recommend it eating a bowl of it every day. Sometimes I eat a bowl of it twice a day. I can tell by how good I feel after eating it that my body loves it. And it has weight loss benefits, as well.

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hey Xiaojie, it is good too hear from you, especially that your are doing well.

God Bless

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Wonderful news, Xiaojie ! I'm so glad you checked back to tell us!

#17 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Xiaojie ...you did it !!! Cymbalta free & you feel good , I'm so happy for you & also very envious .

Your strength & determination is admirable ... To cut so many things from your diet sounds very hard especially when I have a husband to feed as well ..
I've been Cymbalta free for 6 plus mnths now & still not feeling normal yet .
Good for you , you have given it your all & it has paid off. :-)))

#18 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

Gosh Xiaojie

what tribulations you've been through! I can totally relate to the loss of energy and the increased frequency of infections - it is a nightmare!! Inspiring to hear you've come so far - thankyou for your words of advice too.

Im currnetly eliminating caffeine, gluten and sugar/fructose  - I already eat a lot of Red Quinoa (marvellous!) as Im a vegatarian - Im experimenting with getting my diet more alkaline as I developed very severe reflux and irritable bowel whilst on Cymbalata. Food allergies went through the roof too - my mouth and tongue began to ulcerate when i'd eat anything with sugar, acidity etc - so I'm listening to that process and eliminating the irritants for the time being (I miss chilli! :( )

I have to say I'm at day 9 tapering off, although I feel peculiar and a bit vile in many ways - I have energy!! Never thought I'd see it again!

Feeling optimistic that I can get back to some sort of immunilogical equilibrium again - I dodnt know how my depression will go unsupported, but I certainly know that it was very dam depressing being so ill all the time!!

WT - I hope you come to a place where you are syptom free soon.

xx

#19 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Xiaojie ...you did it !!! Cymbalta free & you feel good , I'm so happy for you & also very envious .

Your strength & determination is admirable ... To cut so many things from your diet sounds very hard especially when I have a husband to feed as well ..
I've been Cymbalta free for 6 plus mnths now & still not feeling normal yet .
Good for you , you have given it your all & it has paid off. :-)))

Thanks, Wagtail. :) Cutting all that stuff out of my diet wasn't that difficult because I like to eat all that stuff, and eating that way feels good. But I also allow myself the weekend to go out to restaurants and eat whatever the heck I want to. Funny thing is, after I had been eating this way for a few months I lost the craving for a lot of the really bad stuff I used to eat. So now my weekend 'cheating' usually consists of eating pasta, cheese lasagna, French bread, and a piece of cheesecake or something. Not terribly sinful, and I go right back on the good stuff on Monday. Still losing weight this way, too.

Maybe for you, since you don't cook only for yourself, that very very gradually eliminating certain foods from your diet is better. And then replace those things as you go with tasty healthy substitutes? Might mean you have to get much more creative. Maybe your hubby will be more likely to get on board if he sees he doesn't have to forfeit taste? In any case, don't allow yourself to get discouraged if you're unable to make all the changes you want to right away. Just do the best you can do, whatever that is for you.

I think you must be one tough cookie, Wagtail, to have stuck it out for 6 months like you have. I'm not sure if I could have done that for that long. I'm too much of a wimp. Hang in there... :)

#20 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Im currnetly eliminating caffeine, gluten and sugar/fructose - I already eat a lot of Red Quinoa (marvellous!) as Im a vegatarian - Im experimenting with getting my diet more alkaline as I developed very severe reflux and irritable bowel whilst on Cymbalata. Food allergies went through the roof too - my mouth and tongue began to ulcerate when i'd eat anything with sugar, acidity etc - so I'm listening to that process and eliminating the irritants for the time being (I miss chilli! :( )

AnotherMind, I miss Chili, toooooooo!!!! But no legumes for me anymore unless on a cheat-day. You know I didn't think about it until you mentioned it, but when I was on Cymbalta I couldn't eat anything with jalapeño or red peppers in it, or my lips would blister up and swell. And in my pre-Cymbalta day, eating the hot spicy stuff was never a problem. Also got mouth ulcers such as you mentioned, as well. But since I got the Cymbalta poison out of my body, I can eat spicy again without any problems. So bizarre. *shrug*

#21 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

And when I was in the first month or so of withdrawal, I was taking swigs of Tabasco sauce straight from the bottle....also making myself "virgin Marys" .....v-8 with gobs of Tabasco and horseradish added.....I shudder at the thought now....

#22 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

FN, so if you eat that stuff now, do you have a reaction/problem with it? Ulcers, etc.? Just curious. :)

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Xiaojie ...withdrawal seems to have retired my taste buds....

.I'm able to eat spicy foods, really spicy....and I like them...but no reactions...and I don't crave them the way I did during withdrawal....when I eat chocolate or refined sugar I can't eat much, or I get a sort of "head rush," and I don't feel well for about an hour....I can drink a cup of coffee, with a bit of milk and sugar...and I love the taste...but it has to be early in the a.m. Or it messes with my sleep....the only alcohol I can handle is Guinness stout...and just one bottle or less...anything more and I have a hangover....carbohydrates like pasta are ok, but they don't taste good to me anymore....

I still take a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the morning....mixed with water....love that taste....actually, anything with a vinegar taste, like olives and pickles....

The only meat I like and can digest easily is high quality steak...no pork, no veal, etc....the only fish I can stomach is salmon....

I almost don't recognize myself.... ;-@

#24 Daybyday

Daybyday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yes Another mine I've noticed an increase in allergies as well. I developed a grass and melon allergy in the last year and I've been having horrible allergies all year round. I went off cymbalta month and they got even worse!

#25 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

All of the senses are affected- everything is kind of rounded-off, and it's also the senses and skills we don't normally consider. If you require a fine sense of touch as an artisan, artist, musician, or surgeon, you'll notice that your fingertips are feeling thick and obtuse: The sculptor's fingers feel a little dumb; the musician's instrument feels foreign- the intimacy is lost, and tonal centre and timing seem somehow remote; and the subtle sensory array required for intimate physical sharing feels dull, and soon the exercise becomes pointless.

But it slowly comes back after you have been off the drug for some months. Don't be discouraged. Your brain is healing, seeking equilibrium.

#26 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

This Moment - that is fascinating. When I first went on Cymbalta 5 years ago I experienced the opposite  - after years of major Depression (which severly impacted my creative life) there was a kind of 3.5 year window were I went into creative overdrive, all my senses were back! I finished a Masters Degree, wrote copious amounts, ran a theatre program for people with disabilities and toured work to Ireland - but insidiously things were changing for the worst. Cymbalta is trecherous - the benefits come at a dark cost, Cymbalta eventually turns on you.

Last year I returned from touring and had a nervous breakdown - ironically I had increased Cymbalta on medical advice. The immunity/anxiety stuff completey overtook me and reduced me to a numb, confused, chronically fatigued mess. I was so sick I was put on a disability pension (ironically).

It's only now that I'm nearly off Cymbalta that the picture is becoming clear - I woke up today for the first time in long while with energy.

I am trying not to have expectations, and who knows what will happen with the depression - but I do have a shy hope for return life and vitality after Cymbalta!

maybe even a life with chilli! ;)

#27 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hi AnotherMind

You are right about the initial uploading of Cymbalta- things did elevate somewhat with banished blues and boosted beta! But the other side of the wave was the real story for me: I went from modestly engaging titillation to a morose flat-line. My muse is reluctantly skulking back, tail between her legs.

#28 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

TM - I hope your muse emerges from the shadows, fully fledged soon.

Mine's disppeared again this hour, just sat numbly in my studio after the morning's surge of optimism and cried. Ho hum... Cymbalta blues.

#29 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

First night without Cymbalta - this is horrible and frightening. Such intense fear and anxiety. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

#30 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

Hi AnotherMind , yes that is definately how it feels & is indeed terrifying .. Stay strong & remind yourself that this is the withdrawel & this is why you're feeling this way .
Do you have anything to ease the anxiety , if you do than take it ..this is the time you really need it .

Do whatever it takes to occupy your mind , sleep if you can ..get support from someone that understands what you are suffering .
The symptoms are dreadful & you will need to be strong & remind yourself that it's the Cymbalta trying to make you re-instate.
We are here for you & suffering right along side of you ..You can do this .. Make this your mantra for the foreseeable future ...

Good luck :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users