25 replies to this topic

#1 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

For a long time I have been riding this wave of breakdowns. I am brought to tears at the slightest of things. I don't know whether to get to the doctor and add or switch things around or try to get off things.

Yesterday I did not take the wellbutrin 300 XL. I know this is not a good withdrawal system but tried it anyway. No tears. I didn't, however, have any interaction with my daughter or anyone else very much. I also had to drive a few hours and listening to music usually brings me to tears. I can't seem to find any good withdrawal boards for this product. Before I started taking this med I was too weak to get out of bed. That was disasterous. My doctor tried to put me on Zoloft in addition to the wellbutrin as that is what she gives "for crying". That made suicidal thinking worse. Someone else here said they didn't really want to die but still had suicidal thoughts. During those times I just don't want to be living. I suppose I just don't want to be feeling.

I am now over a year free of cymbalta and still have these extreme feelings. I feel permanently changed but don't think I can blame it on the cymbalta anymore. These are feelings and actions I had over 40 years ago after the birth of my daughter, way before postpartum depression was talked about. It is frightening. I have way less trust that any doctors know what they are doing.

Do you think a physiatrist for drug questions would be any more knowledgable about prescribing or un prescribing drugs ? Long ago they were the only ones to dole out anti depressants.

I welcome any suggestions.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

While unlikely it is possible that this is still withdrawal. There are many here who went over a year of withdrawal. These symptoms could also be from bipolar, depression, etc. The point is there is no way to really tell. You have two choices. Wait it out and see if it slowly fades away (should if it is still withdrawal) OR go back on some type of psych med to bring it under control. Do you feel like it has improved any in the last two months? Tough choice Jones. I wish you the best of luck.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

Jones, I'm in a rush now because I have bldg maintenance coming to inspect my apartment and to ask to make some improvements...

I'll write more a bit later.....

I have taken wellbutrin xl 300 for over ten years, with excellent results....

BUT do not stop it cold turkey....DO NOT.....you'll have withdrawal, not like cymbalta but it's not pleasant....and, because it works on dopamine, not serotonin like the ssri's....your emotional reactions will be very different...and hard....wellbutrin is a sdri...works completely differently....

We need to talk...a lot...before you do this....I assure you, quitting wellbutrin cold turkey will make how you feel worse.....

Hold on,make your next doses, until we can work through this! And we WILL work through this!

#4 wayne

wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Locationspringval vic australia
  • why_joining:
    get addvice on meddicaton

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

fishinghat five notions  on the money again

hi jones i know its hard but keep your head up your in the right place. id say befor stopping med's go to your doctor and get to the shrink thay do know more about the chemical make up off med's and the way thay affect the brain all thou a little resurch you do yourself is a help.

there hasent been alot of studie into deppreshon and bipolor its realy only the last ten years the effort has been made to studie the affects .

i have bipolor type two i have the highs and lows there wild at times and would change ten times a day at its worrst and im more inward distructive then outward and i could funchion and hold down a job but only just when i wos there id bust a hump but the days i wernt id be crying all day in bed and i find theres no middle with me just happey or sad and i ran wild partying hard id been told at the time i wos clinicly deppresed and wos put on zoloft doctors were very script happy back then (the uncaring ones anyway)take this once a day youll be fine.

i had bad sideaffects from day dot to this day i still have days back then i carnt remember.and i havent herd anyone say anything good about it.

the day i started seeing a shrink wos the start of a new me alot off crap happend to ge me there but when i stopped fitting it and sed yep lets do sunthing about it

im not againts med's but there are good and bad and it is a bit of hit and mis what works for me may not for you there wos allot of stop start i lost count of them all and also deppresents or anti sycotic's dont freck out about anti sycotics it dose have a dig stigmarter about them and sideaffects and come down its just a lack of understanding people have and like i say there still isnt anuf studie

so my tip your smart you know whats going on you have a good head on your shoulders and you can read the simptoms go to the shrink and go from there and good luck and dont be hard on yourself.  i hope this help's

#5 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Thank you all.
Yeah so skipping one pill not good idea.
New plan must form.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

First off, why do you want to get off the wellbutrin? Let's start from just that one question...

#7 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Can someone explain the difference in the antidepressant types please ... For example what type is Cymbalta ?... I remember many years ago being prescribed a antidepressant that I had a bad reaction to so I was prescribed Cymbalta .
I'm asking in the case that If I need to go back on anything I will know where to start with the different brands ..
Everything I've heard about ALL OF THEM is very discouraging & scars me beyond belief ..
I couldn't stand to put on more weight, or take anything that would make my anxiety worse ..
I just want to live a reasonably normal life , surely that's not too much to ask !...

#8 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

I feel like something I'm either on or not on is making me NUTS.
Wondered if maybe wellbutrin not working for me. Trying to get less tearful and less depressed.
I'll get back to a doctor and see what suggestions he/she has. I'm all over the place.
I used to be strong, smart and even funny. That person is just gone. I need that person back. She has work to do.
I have decisions to make and I just cannot move.
See, just this has made me cry. This is why I think I need to be on or off something else.

#9 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

Wondered if maybe wellbutrin not working for me. Trying to get less tearful and less depressed.
I'll get back to a doctor and see what suggestions he/she has. I'm all over the place.
I used to be strong, smart and even funny. That person is just gone. I need that person back. She has work to do.
See, just this has made me cry. This is why I think I need to be on or off something else.

Jones , I'm feeling exactly like you & I want ME back ... This is no way to exist !..:-(

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Wagtail, before you shop for antidepressants, the first questions are:

Do you currently have anxiety/PTSD or depression, or a combination of both?

When were you first put on an antidepressant, and what precipitated needing to go on it?

When were you first put on a benzo, and what precipitated needing to go on it?

Have you given up on the Clonidine, which you said made you way too groggy but did stop the anxiety? Have you called your therapist, when's the next appointment? Did you tell your doc you quit the Clonidine?

Based on the symptoms you've described having while I've been on the forum, my sense is that you've got a major anxiety disorder, possibly PTSD....I think, in fact, you mentioned PTSD in an early post....what you're describing just doesn't sound like a cymbalta relapse..or a depression occurrence......you're not having extended good times with a few bad times, as I understand what you're experiencing, it's extended bad times...anxiety, sweats, insomnia, etc...with a few good times....

If it's anxiety/PTSD, the antidepressants and benzos are typically prescribed so that we can be stable enuf to get therapy....
Here's an article about the various types of anxiety/PTSD and the meds used to help while one gets the required therapy to deal with the underlying cause of the anxiety/PTSD

http://www.nimh.nih....ers/index.shtml

I'll find an article on the types of depression and the meds used to treat the various types...and post it here for you....

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

Here's an item on the difference between anxiety and depression....

http://www.anxietyco...depression.html

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Here's info on the various meds for anxiety disorders.....you'll see cymbalta, as well as a number of other ssri's ....selective serotonin re uptake inhibitors....

http://www.anxieties...rs#.U64nNH-9KK0

#13 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

Jones - I'm sorry for what you're going thru.  I cry so easily too, anything will set me off.  Was there a break between when you stopped the Cymbalta and started the Wellbutrin?  If so, how did you feel then, if you can remember?  Has the crying gotten worse or better or stayed the same while on the Wellbutrin?  (If you can't tell, ask someone close to you if you can.  They may have a more objective opinion about changes in your behavior.)   I don't know anything about how long Cymbalta w/d can last.  I wouldn't discount entirely that it could be lingering effects from taking the Cymbalta.  Other drugs can leave you with lasting symptoms, it's my uneducated guess that Cymbalta could as well.  Not to say that these symptoms won't improve over time, it just may take longer for some than others.  It's a tough position to be in.  I'm on a lot of meds for my health problems and am presently trying to sort out what are actual symptoms and what are drug side effects, and now what are also side effects from weaning down on the Cymbalta.  It's quite a mess...

Have you or your doctors considered good old-fashioned Prozac?  I know several people who are taking it with very good results.  And it has a long half life, so if you stop it, you can taper off it gradually generally without a lot of side effects from withdrawal.  If you do need to take something, maybe one of the more "simple" ssri's would be better?  Just thinking off the top of my head here..... I wish you the best of luck in your situation.  You will find something that will help, whether it be a drug or no drugs.  It will just probably take a while to find what works for you.   

#14 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

Wagtail, before you shop for antidepressants, the first questions are:
Do you currently have anxiety/PTSD or depression, or a combination of both?
When were you first put on an antidepressant, and what precipitated needing to go on it?
When were you first put on a benzo, and what precipitated needing to go on it?
Have you given up on the Clonidine, which you said made you way too groggy but did stop the anxiety? Have you called your therapist, when's the next appointment? Did you tell your doc you quit the Clonidine?
Based on the symptoms you've described having while I've been on the forum, my sense is that you've got a major anxiety disorder, possibly PTSD....I think, in fact, you mentioned PTSD in an early post....what you're describing just doesn't sound like a cymbalta relapse..or a depression occurrence......you're not having extended good times with a few bad times, as I understand what you're experiencing, it's extended bad times...anxiety, sweats, insomnia, etc...with a few good times....
If it's anxiety/PTSD, the antidepressants and benzos are typically prescribed so that we can be stable enuf to get therapy....
Here's an article about the various types of anxiety/PTSD and the meds used to help while one gets the required therapy to deal with the underlying cause of the anxiety/PTSD
http://www.nimh.nih....ers/index.shtml
I'll find an article on the types of depression and the meds used to treat the various types...and post it here for you....

FN, so sorry I missed these posts yesterday & only just found them , I will read through them now ..& get back to you ..thank you ..xx

#15 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I will wait a few more weeks for change then get to the doctor/shrink.
The crying seemed to start a few months before I decided to get off cymbalta, through the withdrawal, and is still with me.
I'll discuss the Prozac with doctor too.
Thanks for listening.

#16 Limbo

Limbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hey Jones,

I really relate to your posts. I'd love an update as you work through this. 

Depression and anxiety are such slippery things to get a hold of. Sharing struggles and solutions helps us all. 

When I am depressed I feel like I'll never find the old me. Then, when distracted and not thinking about the person I use to be (which is hard to do) she slips under the radar and suddenly she's back and it feels nice, for as long as it lasts. 

#17 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Jones you're not crazy or nuts! Your post is the sanest thing I've read in a while! This tearful period is a signpost for the way out; "all over the place" is a what-to-wear moment for a special occasion-- it's coming!

You've identified the strong, smart, and funny you that is a little out-of-practice, rusty-- you have to engage it, challenge it, work it, evoke it! Don't decide anything; cry for a while. Don't do anything on or off something-- therefore it's off something. 

Now is the time for pause. Walk. Yes talk to the doctor, but talk to him or her; don't go there for an answer-- you can provide the answer you really need!!

#18 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

tria

Is your avatar a chive blossom?

#19 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

TM - yes it is :) You must be a gardener!

#20 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

I wonder if a chive blossom would reveal enlightenment as readily as a lotus blossom; I don't see why not.

I'm not a real gardener- more of a Chauncey Gardiner since Cymbalta, gliding wide-eyed into a strange new world.

#21 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Tria, I do love your new avatar....never would have guessed it's a chive blossom....

Jones, I'm with TM on the crying....it can be so very healing and therapeutic....not the hysterical stuff that hits with the cymbalta withdrawal mood swings...the genuine kind, where our heart recognizes how much it has been hurting and holding in...and finally let's it out...carried away in a cleansing bath of tears.....and you've had so much to hurt about these past few years....your husband's health, your exhaustion from caring for him and loving him during all of this, and your sacrifice of your own needs ...and health...in order to do so.....now isn't the time for running around trying to do something, quit something, start something....now is the time for you to just BE....settle...sit still....clarity will come after you've allowed yourself to cry.....

As I read your posts over the time you've been with us, I can see the healing and progress happening in you....perhaps you can't because you're right in there living it....but it's there....you are there....more visible every day!

#22 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

The enlightening chive blossom, why not?  Glad you guys like it - it's one of my fav pics :) Before my health problems got so much worse, I was an avid gardener and amateur photographer. Now I do some "gardening" with hanging baskets but weak arms and shaky hands make for rather blurry photos.

#23 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ok. I'm in a holding pattern.

#24 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Jones, I just got this mental image of you like an airplane, circling the airport waiting for the tower to give you the go-ahead to land.....;-)

Does holding pattern mean you're feeling better, or just stuck at a specific altitude and going in circles?

Talk to us here "in the tower"!

#25 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Omgosh I actually laughed !!
I'm holding the same drugs. Not trying to change anything right now. Weepy morning, but could not get a good cry out. Trying to do things my husband used to help me with and the mower belt broke again. Didn't kill anyone. Didn't cry. Thought I would try to keep a journal of things that broke me down.
Thanks for the smile !

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Just hold in there Jones. You will settle down in a few days and you can start dropping again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users