Photo

30 Min - 4 Hours After Taking Cymbalta I Feel Anxious...help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Ever since I started taking Cymbalta in December I feel anxious after I take it.  It begins around 30 minutes after taking it and lasts up to around 4 hours after my dose.  Is this a side effect of taking Cymbalta?

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Downtongirl,

Same thing here, 10 minutes after swallowing it, anxiety kept creeping for a few hours.

Could not take this anymore, after 4 months  on 30mg, went to 15mg for one month, it got worse, if that is possible.

Stopped ct from 15mg, saying to myself that ct could not be worse. I do not regret having done it that way

I hope you have benzos around, they helped.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

According to this website that tracks drug side effects, based on reports submitted to the FDA, anxiety is one of the cymbalta side effects listed on the label....

Out of over 170,000 adverse event reports to the FDA about cymbalta, over 1,600 of the reports indicated that it caused anxiety....about 1% of the reports included anxiety as an issue....

http://www.druginfor...e hydrochloride

#4 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Gail, did this anxiousness go away once you stopped Cymbalta?  My dr. just wanted to up the dosage to 90 mg so I did that and felt calmer but very very zombie like and way too fatigued.

#5 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Thanks five notions!  I appreciate your reply!

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Ironic, huh? A med that's supposed to help anxiety/panic actually causes it.....

#7 air3333

air3333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

The anxiousness and other depressive side effects is decreasing as I am decreasing the dosage. I am quite surprised. 

I was on 90 mg and I got dizzy at 8 pm or earlier because I was so tired. Also the memory and fatigue during the day would definitely render my ability to work in any capacity.

I am now on 30 mg and feeling a lot better mentally. Although I have some issues with nauseaus and dizzy spells once in a while. I think these should go away in a few days. 

I don't know if this is true, but maybe it is the placebo effect for me. Every-time I reduce I am happy about it, and then in turn becomes a virtuous cycle while getting off the drug. 

#8 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

Five notions...I have been telling my psychiatrist this since January but he refuses to help me wean off or switch to something else.  I have been telling him for months I want off of the medications.  I have been on a combination of meds for almost 19 years.  He just says it is my anxiety and depression and that I will need to be on them for the rest of my life.  It is frustrating because I have weaned off of klonopin, gabapentin, and risperidone over the past 3 months and mentally I feel a little better so I keep pushing forward to get myself off of these meds.

#9 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Air3333...how long have you taken to taper off?  My dr. won't help me taper off so I am having to do it myself.  I cut from 60 - 30 mg this past Saturday.  I had a horrible headache most of the day Saturday and Sunday.  The headache is pretty much gone except I did wake up last night with it but it went away.  I am having terrible brain zaps.  Also, I am having ear pain and sound sensitivity...did you have any of those symptoms?

#10 air3333

air3333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I cut from 60 - 30 Friday and I am doing well for a antidepressant withdrawal. The symptoms are not severe. Just headache, nauseous, diarrhea, sweating, dizziness. Not having terrible brain zaps. No ear pain/ sound sensentivity. No anxiety or depression =)

I went from 90 to 60 the month before and the symptoms are pretty much the same. It is possible since I am in my 20's that may be a factor. 

#11 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Gail, did this anxiousness go away once you stopped Cymbalta?  My dr. just wanted to up the dosage to 90 mg so I did that and felt calmer but very very zombie like and way too fatigued.

I wish I could say yes to this.

It did calm down after 2 weeks. Got real better by week 12.

Now at 4months or so, much much better. Still there, low level, learning to live with this. It's not comparable to what was.

Am I glad that this sh*****feeling is past.

I accuse Cymbalta 100%. Some people swear by it, that is fine. But I reacted very badly to it.  I was never like this before, sure I had anxiety, but never like this.

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

I cut from 60 - 30 Friday and I am doing well for a antidepressant withdrawal. The symptoms are not severe. Just headache, nauseous, diarrhea, sweating, dizziness. Not having terrible brain zaps. No ear pain/ sound sensentivity. No anxiety or depression =)

I went from 90 to 60 the month before and the symptoms are pretty much the same. It is possible since I am in my 20's that may be a factor. 

Air3333, age factor does play a role into this. Maybe Fishinghat can explain this.

Glad for you that you are doing quite well with withdrawal. Great.

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Gail, once again right on. It is estimated that those over 60 are twice as sensitive to med withdrawal, side effects, etc than someone in their 20s. Gosh it would be nice to be young again.  lol

#14 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

I am 45 but feel 100 :)

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

Almost 61 here....body function feels about 100..... and my brain appears to function at about age 6......

#16 air3333

air3333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

ON Cymbalta 90 mg I felt like I was double my age. 

ON Cymbalta 30 mg I feel lighter, younger, and healthier. I am exercising and think it has made me feel happier as well as the reduction. Can you believe that the more exercise I get I am happier. 

I lost years of my life but I am going to get it back, thank god I realized this before it is too late. I think I am smart enough to understand the big picture of things and am grateful for trying to cut back the cymbalta which I believe, has held me back in life and work. 

Cymbalta and other antidepressants put you under a spell. I now realize something. Cymbalta clouds your judgement and you misunderstand how you feel. I know that there are psychologicial effects from withdrawal and I am prepared to continue my dosage at 30 mg for the rest of the year as I have been on at least 60 mg for years 7 years. I am going to stabilize and then see if it is necessary to reduce even further to 20 mg. 

I am concerned about the lifetime cost of cymbalta not to mention the side effects and withdrawal side effects. 

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Dr peter Breggin refers to "medication spellbinding".... A perfect description, I think, for what this poison did to me, to us...

http://www.breggin.c...ask=view&id=187

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users