21 replies to this topic

#1 Jandzio

Jandzio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    Want to find some comfort and support and hope to help others as well. Would like to have a greater understanding.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm quite curious...
I started taking them because that's what the doctor had prescribed me for my GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and my mild depression.

Would like to hear some stories :)

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Given to me for chronic pain due to osteoarthritis of my spine.
On this **** for 18 months. Took me over 4 months, bead counting to wean off this poison♥TheEquusWoman♥

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Jandzio, a post I made to you in this other thread also responds to your question here...

https://www.cymbalta...e-20#entry44093

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Jandzio

Hi and welcome.

I was depressed, though not suicidal (that came after a year on Cymbalta).

I started taking Cymbalta as a result of a series of mistakes, and they are chronologically as follows:

• I failed to research (or solicit another to research for me) antidepressant medication.
  • I failed to question the physician.
  • I failed to seek a second opinion.
  • The physician failed to give me Informed Consent.
  • I failed to demand Informed Consent.
  • I was put on the antidepressant in advance of meeting with a psychologist or psychiatrist, and that's backwards (I learned this later).

The reason for getting off Cymbalta, the horror of withdrawal, and the ongoing disability of discontinuation are stories for another time. Nearly two years after my last dose of the neurotoxin duloxetine (Cymbalta), I still have residual discontinuation symptoms that are probably chronic (that's not uncommon). 

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

And Jandzio, you were put on these meds at such a young age, you wouldn't/couldn't have even known about doing what ThisMoment just listed not doing....you were a kid....completely innocent and trusting.....so don't beat up on yourself one single bit for any of what happened or how....your gift and grace is that now you ARE asking the right questions and seeking answers...that a huge...and wonderful...thing!

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Jandzio and FN

I just backtracked to the other thread and I see that Jandzio was started on antidepressants as a child. Clearly a child can't be expected to investigate the benefits and hazards of a medication; that's the domain of a thoughtful medical protocol and the adult caregiver.

Jandzio, how is your anxiety now? Do you still have depression? Are you taking any other meds for anxiety?

#7 Jandzio

Jandzio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    Want to find some comfort and support and hope to help others as well. Would like to have a greater understanding.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the posts,

I'm only taking 60mg Cymbalta once a day. I'm quite sure my depression is quite non-existent, as I haven't had an episode for a good year or so. My anxiety on the other hand is quite bad. When I take my tablets, I do feel 'normal', although I still experience panic attacks that feel uncontrollable at times. I've just learnt to manage it on my own as psychologists I've been seeing are not that great and are usually only available once a week. So overall I'm not sure what I need to be doing :/ 

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Well, for now, Jandzio, I think the best thing you can be doing is being right here on this forum...reading back through old threads/posts and keeping up with the current ones....then you can branch out from here and start reading more about depression and anxiety in general, more about the meds themselves, and more about alternatives to meds for managing both depression and anxiety......

If you do decide to get off the cymbalta, you'll have had time to make your own informed decision, develop a weaning plan, etc etc....

Frankly, I think you're doing great already ....you're taking positive action, you've got a great positive attitude, and you want to learn more....

Three questions...... Do you have both a psychiatrist and a therapist? How often do you see them? Are you taking any other meds currently?

#9 Jandzio

Jandzio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

I used to have a psychiatrist, who took me to see a psychologist. That was about a year ago, and I don't feel like it helped all too much. As I'm a student, it's hard to afford the payments as well. I want to see a therapist/counselor, but I need a referral for all of them, which means asking the Dr to refer me etc etc, and it's a lengthy process which makes me not want to participate in the whole "mental health industry" (ironically, I'm studying to become a social worker, and hopefully one day, a psychologist)

I'm only on cymbalta. I don't think I will accept another drug as Im very anti drug, I've only ever taken antibiotics twice in my life and rarely take panadol/nurofen etc. So I'm going  to, most likely, stick to Cymbalta until I'm confident enough to stop or reduce the amount.

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Oh wow, what an incredible personal life experience you are bringing to your calling to be a social worker and a psychologist! Just think of all the real, true good you can do ... the genuine help and healing you can offer to those who are in so much need .... everything, absolutely everything, you have experienced with your own health, this drug, the med/pharma industry ... you will be inside "the system" and you can help to change in from within ...

awesome!

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

Jandzio

Yes I agree with FN, awesome! You are doing so well!

I'm not trying to talk you into taking drugs, but you will find there's a big boost in your energy and confidence if you can get the anxiety down. You'll often see anxiety walking in the park hand-in-hand with depression.

Consider playing the game a little longer to secure the therapist/counselor; these folks are bursting with strategies that you'll find immensely helpful. 

Take care.

#12 jkat

jkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • why_joining:
    I am tired of being on meds. I had been med free since 2008, but got back on meds in 2013 following a 3 week abusive relationship. After entering a new relationship I seemed to have a lot of issues resurface I thought were done and over with. Now I feel the meds are completely messing me up and I want support and help while coming off them and understanding if this is really me who feels this way or if it's symptoms of the withdrawal.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

I started Cymbalta 30 mg after coming off of Wellbutrin.

I had depression and anxiety. Now I know a lot of the anxiety was a product of the Wellbutrin and coming off.

I stopped Wellbutrin January 19th, started Cymbalta March 19th. (I didn't have health insurance for awhile because of moving and changing jobs).

I was originally put on Wellbutrin for just depression.

In December 2012 I had a 3 week abusive relationship that resulted in me being raped. I quickly (but not quickly enough ended it). Months went by, I was a bit depressed but moving on, doing the normal life things and started dating again. I was fine until August, but for some reason at that point a huge depression started to hit. I started having a lot of trust isues in the relationship I was in. I was burned out of my job working in the ER, 12 hour shifts. (Usually working full time and taking college courses part time).

So finally I decided I wasn't doing well enough on my own and went to get help. Then started the Wellbutrin. First 75mg then I was upped to 300mg. I was on it for at least 5 months.

The emotional roller coaster being on Wellbutrin was way worse to me than being on the 30mg of Cymbalta. However - Cymbalta has pretty much just made me want to sleep and not care about anything. So there really isn't much forward progress as far as what I want out of life and I don't exactly feel happy on it either.

Withdrawal reminds me of being on the Wellbutrin. Mind is all over the place. Emotions are up and down and stable then unstable.

I hate these medications. I've been on others back in 2008, and it was the worst experience of my life. I kick myself in the arse for ever getting back on them.

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

jkat, I'm so very sorry that happened to you ... and I'm so very angry on your behalf!

Please get connected with a therapist and deal with that ... it's a huge trauma... even if you don't feel it consciously, on the surface, it's lurking and festering deep inside you ... and will begin to devour you from the inside out ... please deal with it now ...

Hugs and prayers!

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

No good relationships started this merry go round of lexapro followed by crapalta. Total 9 months on those.

Tendency to fall in love with men that, unconsciously, opens up that box of core wounds. Fear of rejections brings along many attitudes and thinking that can ruin our mental state. It did. Living in fear for 3 years.

During this time on the relationship, went bananas. Anxiety and depressive moods got worse.

At the beginning, I knew that I was gonna stumble and fall. Day one, I knew this.

Broke it off many times, he always came back to get me. Not a bad guy, just unconscious as I was.

When I spoke of this to the psychiatrist, which I saw once, he suggested seeing a therapist.

Low self esteem, he said. In that department at least.

To chose someone when you know it will hurt you and just going into it just the same.

So, today, being on the waiting list for 3 months, having first appointment at 1.30pm

That is what started me on ad's.

#15 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

jkat, welcome! And Fivenotions is right! Get yourself some help to deal with what you've been through! Hugs and prayers for y'all!

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

Gail, that's wonderful about the therapist!

... 3 month wait, however, not so great...

#17 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

FN, it's OK for the 3 month wait, could be 2, cant remember. I had time to clear my head. And dig deeper into those wounds.

Had time to reflect on the damage done, in a way, I was in therapy by myself.

As you mentionned once, I was my own hobby.

#18 jkat

jkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • why_joining:
    I am tired of being on meds. I had been med free since 2008, but got back on meds in 2013 following a 3 week abusive relationship. After entering a new relationship I seemed to have a lot of issues resurface I thought were done and over with. Now I feel the meds are completely messing me up and I want support and help while coming off them and understanding if this is really me who feels this way or if it's symptoms of the withdrawal.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, I have been getting help with it for months with therapists.

#19 Guest_Notsureaboutit_*

Guest_Notsureaboutit_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I was given cymbalta for fibro, all over pain. Sure is wonderful for pain, completely took my pain away totally! Just too Scarry to stay on it

#20 Amybc7

Amybc7

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

In 2001 I was first put on antidepressants for depression (with some Ativan tossed in for anxiety).  Prozac - which I loved until it wasn't as effective.  Transitioned to Wellbutrin....  Transitioned to Effexor.... Transitioned to Lexapro.....

Lost my insurance when I lost my job back in ....2008?.....and stopped cold turkey.  Went six months without anything but the depression slowly crept back in.  Once I had insurance through the husband I went back to the doctor looking for that magic pill.  Voila ~ Cymbalta!

Depression was an issue at the time.  Of course I also wasn't working, had stopped therapy, and had isolated myself.  I really wanted the quick, easy, answer.  Sadly my doctor at that time (she was actually a student of sorts) was more than happy to toss one my way.  I didn't do any research.  When I went back for a 3 month medication check, no one questioned why my blood pressure suddenly spiked (just toss another pill in the mix!).  When I continued to gain a large amount of weight, no one thought to question it (exercise more - which is valid...haha).  Odd swelling?  Drink more water.  Thyroid functioning issues?  Here's another pill!  

I began to question what I was like - when things were level in my world - without medication.  It had been 13 years since I hadn't been on something.  A third of my life.  It was time.  I tried cold turkey twice and made it days (not even) before I was back on the Cymbalta again.  

Then my blood work came back with elevated Liver Enzymes.  Terrified me even though the doctor was sure it was a "fluke".  

And here we are now = after five years of  30 mg a day (thankfully that was it!) - and I'm still tapering.  

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

A "Fluke"? ssri and snri are famous for causing liver problems. The literature that comes with most of them recommend an annual liver function test.

#22 Amybc7

Amybc7

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Thank you FH!  I found that out when I went to do some researching.  

I go back in three weeks for more blood work and to follow up.  My doctor better leave me a wide appointment time as I have a lot to say to her!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users