Photo

I Quit Cold Turkey. Should I Get Back In Cymbalta Now, And Try To Wean Myself Off Slowly?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wow

Wow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

I stopped Cymbalta called turkey about two weeks ago. I had no idea how horrible it was to come off of. I had been on Prozac before and the only symptom I had when stopping it was the return of my depression. I started to feel like Prozac wasn't as effective as it had once been, that is why I asked my doctor about trying something different. He prescribed Cymbalta. It helped but because it was costing me $200 a month and because I thought that my weight gain might be related to it I decided to stop. When my prescription ran out I just decided to try some more natural things to manage my depression, no I didn't go to my doctor to get on something else. About a week later I started having flulike symptoms; body aches, extreme fatigue. I didn't related to Cymbalta withdrawals at the time. Then about a week ago I started having,what I've seen referred to hear's brains zaps followed by shooting sensations in different parts of my body; arms, legs, chest, eyes, feet. That's when I started to suspect it had something to do with the Cymbalta.
My question is, now thatI am almost 2 weeks into this, would it be beneficial to go back on the Cymbalta and start to wean myself off slowly? Or do I just need to buckle up and go along for the ride?
I am miserable! I have six kids :) and a wonderful husband. They are my heart and soul and I feel like I am failing them. I'm desperate. Are there natural things I can do to try to ease some of the physical symptoms. I am so tired and in so much pain I feel like I can't function. I'm spending a lot of time in the bathtub these days.
Thank you in advance for the support group, and for any advice you might have for me.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Welcome Wow!  We are happy you found us - you now have a new group of caring, supportive and knowledgeable cyber friends!

I am a cold turkey survivor of almost 6 months and I don't recommend that to anyone!  If you are able to go back on the Crapalta (as one of our members coined it!) it would be a much more gentle way to discontinue this poison.

Everything you describe is definitely a withdrawal symptom and, not to scare you, there are more - not to say that you will experience all of them, but they exist...

I was 2 weeks into the cold turkey when I discovered this forum and decided to just push on - it was truly the trip to hell.  I will also mention that your age has much to do with how rough it is to get through this, but with a family to take care of, I would recommend that you go back on and then gently bead count your way off.  We have members here who have done this and can help you with the process.  It is not necessary for you to suffer and there is no rush to the end...we all get there in our own time and, hopefully, with as little upset as possible.  It has been said that those over the age of 50 have a harder time - I am, if that is any indication!

Again, welcome - others will come on to welcome you and offer their help - we are always here for you, so feel free to ask questions, advice or just vent if you need to!  (Believe me, we have all done it!)

I also recommend that you read some of our forums as you will learn more about this miserable trip and also gain much needed knowledge and suggestions...

Please keep us posted - we are all here for you! :)

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Wow, welcome. I feel for you. I know the hell that you are going through. You could go back up, stabilize and then do bead counting but it would take you another week or two to stabilize.  Most people in your situation Just go ahead and push through. IF you are going to stick with the cold turkey you might consider a prescription for Xanax or valium. Just to have it on hand for when things just get too rough.

• Wow likes this

#4 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Welcome Wow! I agree with fishinghat. Coldturkey is very, very tough, Get yourself something for the roughest times, get fam and friends, if possible to help out with the children and chores so that you will have some "down time" to take care of YOU! You will need all the support you can find. We are here for you! Lots of loving support and "been there done that" kind of wisdom you'll find helpful! You'll get through this! Hugs and prayers for you!!!

• Wow likes this

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Welcome, Wow!

What dose were you on, and for how long? That may make a difference in what your cold turkey experience is.

Other possible factors are your age (us old farts seem to have a rougher go of it), what kind of general physical shape you're in (exercise, diet, etc.) and what other meds you're on and for what conditions....

I quit cold turkey early last December, just started my 8th month off...I'm almost 61, was in lousy general physical condition, and had been on 60 mg of the poison for 7-8 years. I was/am also taking Wellbutrin xl 300 mg for depression, and had been taking meds for hypertension on tachycardia, which as it turned out, were caused by the Cymbalta.

It was a really really rough first month for me, with a slightly better second month, etc etc...by the end of May I was feeling pretty okay physically, but then began recognizing some cognitive damage that occurred either while on the drug, or while getting off, or both...

With 6 children and a husband to care for, this may be a complicating factor for you if you decide to stick with the cold turkey approach. Bead counting would allow you some degree of control over the process and hopefully keep the symptoms moderate enuf that you can keep up your family responsibilities.

All things to think about ....whatever you decide, we'll do everything we can to help you!

And I assure you, the weight gain is in all likelihood due to crapalta...most of us here gained weight while on it, and many of us have lost or are losing that weight already ... it all takes time ....and patience...

Life after this drug is well worth the effort put in to get off it!
  • Wow likes this

#6 Wow

Wow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thank you all soooo much for your support and words of wisdom!
I'm 36 years old and not in great physical shape. I was on 60 mg of Cymbalta for about 9 months. I'm not on any other meds.
Yesterday I Decided to go back on the Cymbalta and wait until I stabilize and then wean off slowly. I took a 60 mg pill yesterday afternoon. This morning I woke up feeling tingly and numb-ish. A much better feeling than the pain I have been in but still weird. I am wondering if maybe I should have started with a lower dose and gone up slowly? What a freaking mess!

#7 Amybc7

Amybc7

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Wow,

You might notice some feelings similar to when you started taking it originally over the next few days.  My doctor had told me to initially skip days - which was not pleasant.  I found this place and went back to full dose for a week or two before I began to count beads.  I noticed on those first few days of back to the full dose I was "weird" - but not sick.  

Hang in there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users