God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hi Cinders, welcome aboard! Great first post, and I'm with FH.... you've got a good plan in place for the bead counting ... and sounds like you've also got a supportive doc!

Like you, I had a horrid reaction to the generic, which I was switched to last December.... I'd lost my insurance, ended up on Medicaid, and the clinic doc put me on the stuff ... almost put me into a psychotic episode ... so I quit cold turkey ... not a good way to go, but I made it, thanks to the wonderful folks here ...

And, many of us have had/still have the wonderful "crapalta sweats" .... we've been talking about that elsewhere here recently ...

Most importantly, no, there are no citizens groups talking with/working with either Lilly or the FDA ... individuals can report adverse effects to both entities, but that's about it as far as being proactive...

There is a law firm, Knox Ricksen, that's taken Cymbalta withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome on as a legal case/project ... here's the link to their notice on the forum, with lots of additional information added there ...

https://www.cymbalta...lta-withdrawal/

You've got fabulous experience as a professional within the pharma industry, and you can be of huge assistance to us here on the forum, and also to Knox Ricksen.... please get in touch with them... and please continue to post here and share your knowledge of the drug industry... and your own experiences as you get off this poison ... So glad you found us!

#32 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Cinders, Welcome. You certainly had your share of Cymbalta, original then generic, and the roller coaster of high mgs of Cymbalta to lower mgs. As Fishinghat has pointed out, you appear to have a developed plan of going forward and know exactly what you are doing. Yes, without a doubt, patience is the game. Thank you Fishinghat.

Cinders, please keep us posted on your progress. We are helping and learning at the same time....

#33 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for responding, FH, FN and Carleeta. Please let me know if you think of improvements or see potential problems with my detox plan.

I've ordered gel caps and glassine bags, along with a supply of Omega 3, 6, 9 supplements and B complex. I'm drinking apple cider vinegar (with must) with agave and cinnamon.

I know it looks as if I've stalked the forum, but in reality, I have found it to be full of great info and philosophies and am trying to reap the benefit of y'all's experience to shorten my learning curve! I REALLY want this drug out of my body.

Blessings to all!

#34 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

Welcome Cinders!

I see that you have already met some of our wonderful members!  This is a great place to come for support, knowledge and much caring - it is a safe place for you to ask questions, vent or just tell us how you are feeling.

I have been off the poison cold turkey for 6 1/2 months now and am still having sleep problems and some anxiety but I am improving - I know there is an end somewhere - WHEN is not important!

I wish you the best on this horrendous journey and please keep us posted!

#35 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Cinders, stalk all you want. That is what we are here for.

#36 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I REALLY want this drug out of my body.

Welcome Cinders, I can relate to this, as this crapalta hurt me much more than was helping

Could not wait to get rid of this poison. Messed up my already fragile brain. 5 months off in a few days.

This is the place to be, to come to, to share whatever you want to. Knowing that you will not be judged.

#37 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Negative up to date. I could swear that, at times, valium is a sugar pill.

I guess that I do not have to go further with the details, right?

#38 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

My sentiments exactly, Gail! :angry:

#39 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Welcome cinders! I was a "stalker" before I signed up here! Man oh man, what a true God send this forum and all these people are! God bless you on your SINbalta w/d journey! Come here and come often with questions, rants, tears and laughter! It's all good! Hugs and prayers!!!

#40 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

I have a negative effect question

Has anyone lost any artistic abilities ? I paint. Or I used to. I can't seem to get colors and spacing right. Ideas used to pop out at me but the popping has pooped out.

#41 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yes, jones, it's unbelievable and ticks me off! While on that dreaded C, I did become very creative... learned to paint in oils and acrylics, did lots of crafty stuff, but now... oh well... it comes and goes, but mostly goes! Frustrating to say the least!!! Arg!!!

#42 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

while on cymbalta? absolutely! AD's are the biggest creativity killers - well, in my experience anyway. during withdrawal, hard to say, i've only been off the C for just over 2 months, i'm guessing its going to take awhile before anything gets back to normal - whatever that is. i'm a writer and a musician who rarely picks up my guitar anymore - AD's destroyed my muse. right now i'm on an emotional roller coaster so i am thinking it will be sometime yet, but i keep trying. all AD's really flatten me out, a general feeling of "meh"

#43 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Hi Cinders Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here. TheEquusWoman

#44 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

I have a negative effect question

Has anyone lost any artistic abilities ? I paint. Or I used to. I can't seem to get colors and spacing right. Ideas used to pop out at me but the popping has pooped out.

Yes while on the C, I witnessed the death of the muse, the death of musical timing, the death of the harmony ear, and death of the tonal centre. After about a year off C, those things slowly began to filter back in, and I am happy to say that they are among the little joys that did return. For the better part of 2 years I parked the instruments, the keyboard, my ear, and my heart. 

Cymbalta is the death-blow to the artist.

#45 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

Well it had to be done & I don't have the energy or will power to keep going this way .
I took Cymbalta for close to 10 yrs @ 60 mg a day .
During that Time I had s/e's that I learned to live with & endured many painful @ costly tests to find out what was wrong with me ..usually negative because most were caused from the Cymbalta.

I developed acute pancreatitis that almost killed me ... Caused by a blocked biliary duct from a septic gallbladder that had overflowed into my bilary duct thus causing a blockage ..a couple of months in & out of hospital on heavy duty antibiotics & the removal of the gallbladder.
I have no proof that this had anything to do with the Cymbalta but I have my suspicions about every one of those tests & hospital stays.

Well most of you know that I have been battling my heart out lately with chronic anxiety / fear & panic attacks .
I have been taking Valium which used to work for me in very small doses on the occasions I needed it , but for some reasons it doesn't work for me anymore .
My family has gathered around this weekend & after 8 months they can't stand to see me suffering anymore . Enough is enough & with the advice of my therepist as well , we have made the decision for me to be hospitalized until this can be sorted out.
I might need to go back on an antidepressant , my thought are a low dose of Prozac but I guess that will be up to the resident psychiatrist ..
Yes I'm scared out of my mind but I have tried everything & need to be stable again .
Please wish me luck ...

#46 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

Oh, my. Thanks to all for the overwhelmingly positive, supportive response. I am slow and goofy today; maybe the Prozac on top of the Cymbalta? I only took two additional beads out today, but sure feel the effects. Unfortunately, my extremities acted up with "electric zaps" and I couldn't relax. Finally took a Valium and it eventually helped.

My husband, my wonderful strongest supporter, is angry that I've added Prozac to the mix. He is just so frightened because he fell in love with the woman I was BC (Before Cymbalta) and has seen me through seven surgeries, some of which have been pretty horrific. He is justified in wanting a functional partner and I want to be that and more for him.

What is your experience, my new, understanding friends? I heard your support of the go-forward plan I posted yesterday, but am I making a mistake adding another drug at this point, albeit at low dose? I just am experiencing so much difficulty with the Cymbalta withdrawal and thought it might be easier if I had the longer-acting SSRI on board.

This is so hard. I know I'm whining, but I really don't think anyone in my immediate circle of family and friends has even a clue about what I'm experiencing. I am still stinging from a friend's comment the other day: she said "Don't you think it would be good for you to get off ALL THESE DRUGS and start over?

I replied that I'm not really on many drugs - and I'm not - but her words just keep echoing in my mind. Do other people think I take a lot of drugs? I genuinely make every effort to minimize dose or quit altogether my short list of medications. So, ouch.

I thought my friends would understand that I'm going through a rough time, but now I'm worried that I appear to be unstable and in la la land because of my "drug problem". I have always tended to be a somewhat private person, but felt I could be open with certain people. I guess I was wrong. I won't agonize over my disappointment, but I sure do need y'all's support because, as you can see from this post, it's currently lacking in my home environment.

Thanks for being out there, listening.

#47 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Wagtail,
In my experience, I have to be on a certain level before I can "read more books" Don't think I could do any self help if I felt the way you do.
I hope you post you progress and will be looking forward to seeing progress reports.
Prayers from here.

#48 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:11 AM

C, B and TM
Thanks for replies.
I have been off over a year. I will await return of anything good.

#49 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

My dearest Wagtail, I have known 3 persons in my life going through so many rough times and had to be hospitilized.

One week stay, and out they were feeling fine. They had found the right medication for them. They were like brand new.

I hope you keep us posted, and wishing you the best in all this. This is a good thing, you have suffered too much, they will find the right medication for you, they will. Much love, Gail

#50 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Dear Wagtail

There is no right and wrong in the method, there's only your quality of life! Hopefully you will find relief- you've been through hell and it's time to try a different path. Take care.

#51 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Bravo Wagtail, this is a brave and wonderful thing to do! Like I said in a post to you several weeks ago, to me it would seem like a vacation ... a trip to a health spa, where everyone would be there to look after my needs, cook my meals, do my laundry, change my sheets ... a real "rest cure" ... I pray that you can look at it this way too ... an opportunity for rest, healing and to be taken care of in such a way that you learn new ways to care for yourself.... it's clear that your family loves you deeply, and has come together to help you through this ... and gosh, what a blessing you have in that excellent and caring therapist ...

I am praying for you, rooting for you, and I look forward to hearing how it went, or, if you can post while you are there, to have little updates from you on your experience and progress ...

You've been through so much, dear Wagtail... you deserve nothing but the best ... and it is, indeed, coming to you now!!

#52 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

Cinders,

I understand about the "friends" - they DO not and CANNOT understand what is going on w/us.  I just sent an email to a "friend" this morning and am sure that I will not hear from her again, but she was always trying to tell me what I should do.

Your friends are here - we GET IT!  Please keep posting and we will keep helping!

Hugs and prayers

Liz 

#53 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Wagtail, Wishing all the best to you.  Making this step in your life and  being so kind to your mind and body will make for such a fulfilling like again, for which you deserve and need.  Like FiveNoions mentioned, just relax and let them take care of you.   

Please keep us posted on your progress, as we are all awaiting to hear from you soon.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

#54 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

With you all the way, wagtail! Many prayers for healing will be uttered for you! Please keep us posted! Cinders, hang in there! I saw a Facebook post recently that said "What others think of you is none of your business" and it rings some truth to me. Nobody knows what we deal with, esp' in C or any other drug w/d, unless they've been there. So try not to pay attention to others comments, even though they may be well intended. We seem to be very sensitive while in w/ds and things that would normally be brushed aside, well, they hurt! And we do feel isolated and alone at times, but it does get better! Try to remain positive! Prayers and hugs for all my dear friends!

#55 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Well, I'm about 7 1/2 months off the poison, and had been chugging along pretty nice and steady physically, with just the job search anxiety, which is manageable ... had that great evening last Friday, and then kaboom ... late Saturday afternoon got hit with a total physical poop-out .... I slept from Saturday evening pretty much straight through yesterday morning, and when I woke up it was like I was back into the early weeks of withdrawal ... the vertigo back again, and I couldn't keep my balance or walk straight...

So, I turned around and went right back to bed, and slept, with just brief periods of getting up to eat a bit, go to the bathroom and check in here, straight through until 7 am this morning ...

Woke up feeling "jim dandy," as though nothing ever happened ...

What the heck happened? It definitely wasn't the flu, a cold, anything normal ... it genuinely felt like a throw-back to the early phase of quitting crapalta....

#56 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Oh geez, FN! Does it ever end? So sorry you had such an awful time! I've had a couple of those times, but it seem to happen when I had a sinus infection and then again a couple of weeks ago when I had a skin cancer taken off my face! I just don't get either! We just have to hope and pray this kind of thing goes away completely in the future! Hang in, my friend!

#57 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

FN, Just read a great post by Shipko on the Mad in America website. He talks about later recurrences of side effects among other things! Check it out! Very informative!!! Title of Shipko's post is "Playing the Odds"

#58 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Well, I'm about 7 1/2 months off the poison, and had been chugging along pretty nice and steady physically, with just the job search anxiety, which is manageable ... had that great evening last Friday, and then kaboom ... late Saturday afternoon got hit with a total physical poop-out .... I slept from Saturday evening pretty much straight through yesterday morning, and when I woke up it was like I was back into the early weeks of withdrawal ... the vertigo back again, and I couldn't keep my balance or walk straight...

So, I turned around and went right back to bed, and slept, with just brief periods of getting up to eat a bit, go to the bathroom and check in here, straight through until 7 am this morning ...

Woke up feeling "jim dandy," as though nothing ever happened ...

What the heck happened? It definitely wasn't the flu, a cold, anything normal ... it genuinely felt like a throw-back to the early phase of quitting crapalta....

Oh FN, Yup, what the heck happened? glad to see you feeling jim dandy. Throw-back to the early phase, just know what you mean.

#59 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Clara ... interesting you should mention sinus infection .... earlier this week I thought I was getting one .. all the typical symptoms...then it faded ... but perhaps there's a connection ... who the heck knows ... if I've learned one thing from getting off the poison, it's to wait a day ...or two or three ... rather than rush off the doctor every time I think I've got "something" ...

#60 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Here's that new article from Dr. Stuart Shipko.

http://www.madinamer...odds-revisited/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users