Photo

Sad News: Robin Williams Is Dead ... Suicide ...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I'm devastated ...

http://www.foxnews.c...-officials-say/

This is just so sad ... he'd suffered from mental illness for decades ... it was part of what made him such a brilliant comedian and actor .... such a loss, such a tragedy .... +++

#2 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

R I P Robin

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Robin's "Weapons of Self-Destruction" show, at the DAR Constitution Hall, 2009 ... tv special ... I tried to get tickets, notta' chance ... they were sold out within minutes ...

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

loved the guy. i heard about this at the end of cbs news this evening. i wish i could say that i was surprised. but i am not. classic bipolar 1 - which he never kept secret. it was his manic espisodes that drove his genius. lithium and other mood stabilizers used for severe mania take that away. its no wonder he chose to self medicate with alcohol and drugs - addiction was a struggle throughout his adult life. i was reading where he told diane sawyer that addiction "lays in wait for the time when you think 'i'm okay its fine now, i'm okay'. then the next thing you know its not ok"

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Oh dear.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

I'm watching/listening to "Weapons of Self-Destruction" now ... I'm weeping and laughing at the same time ... it's about 1 1/2 hours long ... he refers to drugs and alcohol during most of it, but during the last 2/3 or so he's clearly talking about himself in relation to drugs/alcohol ... he's describing his demons, the audience is totally caught up in the humor/irony ... and to someone like myself ... all of us here, I'm sure ... he's sharing his excruciating pain and why he uses / has used them ... the title of the show is the title of his autobiography ... his demons are our demons ... perhaps writ on a larger scale, and shared on the world stage ... but he personifies our struggle ... and humor was his antidote ... as it is for us .... it failed him in the end ... and yes, I'm weeping ....

Of all of God's creatures, we humans are the only ones who have the gifts of reason, free will, and "risibility" (laughter) ....not even the angels can laugh, because even though they have reason and free will, they do not have bodies and they do not exist in time ... It is our "embodiment" in time, with reason and free will that make us human -- we are physical creatures who are aware of our own self and our existence in time as individuals ...laughter is God's gift to us ... he knew that without it we could not bear the pain of our awareness, of our existence ...

I'm having a hard time expressing / explaining my thoughts right now ... will come back tomorrow and try to fix this post...

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Robin Williams interviewed in Australia ... on his addiction and comedy...

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

"Opening Wide His (Repaired) Heart"
NYT 2009
http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Long, but worth the read ...

Sorry guys, this has really upset me, and I'm having a hard time ... can't sleep ...

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Hi FN

I can't know how you are feeling, but I hope today is a better day for you.

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

CNN is doing a special on Robin Williams this hour 1400 ET.

#11 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

I'm devastated ...

http://www.foxnews.c...-officials-say/

This is just so sad ... he'd suffered from mental illness for decades ... it was part of what made him such a brilliant comedian and actor .... such a loss, such a tragedy .... +++

FN  I think the Angels and Heaven needed Laughter and Whitney Housten will serenade Him with her beautiful voice :hug:

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Just saw this article .. his wife says he was in the early stages of Parkinson's, but wasn't ready to make it know publicly ... then the article goes on to discuss the relationship between Parkinson's and dopamine (low dopamine) and the connection between Parkinson's/dopamine and depression ...

http://www.cbsnews.c...ease-says-wife/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users