Photo

Been On Teva Generic 1 Week - Should I Stop?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Summer

Hi again!

Yes indeed I has eye flashes-- specifically flashes at the extremes-- looking full left and full right. I had my retina checked-- all okay. In a couple of weeks the flashes went away. These kinds of symptoms appeared mostly in the first 6 months of discontinuation, and it wasn't until I was past the 6-month-mark that I could identify that ALL my symptoms were discontinuation-related. At 4 months off I could have been easily talked into starting another SSRI.

The biggest temptation to start a new SSRI is in the first 6 months. The emergence of symptoms like eye flashes, anxiety, muscle and joint pain, and waves of depression inspire the physician to treat these symptoms. And SSRIs will mask it all-- but just for a while, and then you have to deal with getting off the SSRI. Symptoms that persist for a long time-- and indeed some that are permanent-- are always a risk.

We need to stayed tied to the metaphorical mast for 6 months in order to sail past the siren song of discontinuation symptoms that implore us to re-start the SS/SNRI.

#32 summer975

summer975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

Thank you, both of you. This makes me feel much better knowing this can go away. One week - you are right, I tend to be sensitive to most drugs. 

I will now get on an airplane feeling some comfort. Thank goodness for this site. (will look for that supplement).

#33 summer975

summer975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hi all,

I thought I should do a follow-up. In my case, it wasn't the Cymbalta (which I only took for one week). I only had flashing in one eye (maybe I didn't realize that at the time, not sure).  Anyway, after returning from a trip, two days later I had a ton of black floaters in the same eye (the flashing had stopped). Rushed back to my eye doctor and I had a torn retina. Had emergency laser surgery on the tear and now am in follow up recovery.

Wanted to put this out there in case anyone else has this. They should see their eye doctor. 

Be well, everyone. 

#34 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Wow, Summer, thank you for telling us about this ... you are the very first, at least in the 10 months I've been on the forum, who's discovered a torn retina or other genuine physical basis for the floaters ...

This is very important information.

Please keep checking in to let us know how the healing goes. How are you feeling otherwise... as in, without the Cymbalta?

#35 summer975

summer975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

Feeling great overall, thanks. SO happy I found this site and did not try to stick with Cymbalta.

Anyone can search for information online about this. The key is if you suddenly have flashing or more floaters to immediately talk to your eye doctor.  Better to be safe. Some floaters are usually fine, but a noticeable increase may mean you have a tear. Time is of the essence then. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users