13 replies to this topic

#1 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hello I am 40 m (and work on roofs)
I was on zoloft for 15 years then a new doc switched to cymbalta like 4 months ago it hasn't worked well and I have more anxiety on it so a new doc wants to bring me back to zoloft we went from 60 to 40 for two weeks then 30 for two weeks then 20 for one week and started 60mg of zoloft today is my second day on zoloft alone and I don't feel good I ha every high anxiety and my head doesn't feel right I am nervous reading peoples experience because how long it takes does anyone have any Input to get through this and is it possible to not have horrible withdrawl
Thank you

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

Welcome Avenger. This is a common mistake some drs make. There is nothing wrong with trimming down your Cymbalta AT THE SAME time as you go on the Zoloft. Zoloft takes 6 to 8 weeks to reach full strength and by that time you will have been in Cymbalta withdrawal for as much as 11 weeks. (5 weeks decreasing Cymbalta and 6 weeks or more to get relief from Zoloft.) The bad news is you still have some bad times ahead, The good news is in 4 or 5 weeks the Zoloft should help. Zoloft for most people kick in around a dose of 120 to 150 mg/day. Let us know how it is going. And good luck.

#3 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Thanks so much the bad anxiety feeling is pretty strong do you think I should try to use a small amount of xanex to get through it or ask the dr to go back to 20 and wean it down more
Thanks

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Personally I think I would just lean on the Xanax until the Zoloft kicks in. You need to have a break from the anxiety from time to time.

#5 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks fishing your one of the reasons I signed onto this site I read a while ago that you did a similar changeover and are familiar with zoloft I appreciate your help with this thank you

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Any time Avenger. Just keep us up to date on how it is going.

#7 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hey fishing today is three days off and on 50 of zoloft do you think opening 20mgcapsules of cymbalta and taking it along with zoloft would be helpful or too much seratonin
Ty

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

My opinion, you would just be extending the cymbalta withdrawal by putting some back in your system. BUT if the withdrawal is too much for you to handle then you may have no choice. Only you can make that decision.

#9 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hey fishing I wanted to update and ask a question switching to zoloft hasn't been as bad as I expected mostly super high anxiety and irritated I was at 50 mg for a week then he bumped to 75 a week and to 100 which is where he wanted me at how long before the zoloft kicks in and does it's thing i do have increased anxiety and uneasy

#10 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hey fishing I wanted to update and ask a question switching to zoloft hasn't been as bad as I expected mostly super high anxiety and irritated I was at 50 mg for a week then he bumped to 75 a week and to 100 which is where he wanted me at how long before the zoloft kicks in and does it's thing i do have increased anxiety and uneasy

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

At 4 weeks or around 100 mg you usually feel a little help. To totally kick in is at around a total of 6 to 8 weeks after beginning. A 100 mg may be a little light as 150 is the standard dose for anxiety BUT he may just be seeing how little you can get by with.

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi Avenger,

It sounds like you're making good, solid progress ... congratulations!

I can't speak to the Zoloft, FH is our resident guru on that ....but it occurs to me that you're a roofer, which is dangerous and hard work ... are you working while you go through this? If so, can you afford to take a bit of time off until the Zoloft is fully kicked in?

But I can speak about the anxiety ... it's a bitch, isn't it? Are you allowing yourself to use the Xanax on a regular dosing schedule to keep the anxiety controlled ... just not so much that you zone yourself out -- especially if you're roofing :blink:

Hang in there, I think you're in the home stretch!

#13 Avenger

Avenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hey five thanks for responding I feel very positive about being away from cymbalta I do chimneys and roofing and there was probably 5-10 days of withdrawl that I had to keep working through I only take xanex before bed because it is sedating to me the anxiety feeling is the worst it's such a vulnerable feeling but I feel like once the zoloft gets to it's strength I will be better I want to post a positive thread and let people know that the withdrawl isn't always horrible I was so scared from reading and you tubing everyone's experience but I realize that everyone's different cymbalta definately grabs a strong hold and doesn't let go very easy but it does let go and people will get through it thanks again

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

I think you've got two things going for you in this process that many of us don't / haven't had .... you're young (compared to the old farts, like me at 61), and you're strong and in good health (at least I assume you are, given your line of work heheheh) ....

two other factors that impact how easy/hard, long/short our withdrawal/discontinuation process is are why we were put on the poison in the first place, and whether we're taking other meds for other medical/heath conditions ...

That you were able to do your work during the hardest/worst part of the process tells me that you're one of our success stories for sure!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users