19 replies to this topic

#1 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

The release of the adrenal-based hormone cortisol is behaviour-related. Therefore the only relevant 'control' is behaviour-based. To manage stress and the subsequent flood of cortisol we must alter how we react to stimulus-- we need to re-train our brains. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Mindfulness are strategies to re-train the mind.

ACT and Mindfulness represent the most 'natural' management system we can infuse into our minds-- it is literally mind-altering in a physical sense: it will change your brain via the physically malleable nature of your brain that is neuro-plasticity. You will become a different person, able to react in different ways than you would have just months before. How valuable would it be for your road rage to disappear? How would your self-respect blossom if that manipulative friend or relative could no longer control your behaviour, and leave you hating yourself at the end of the day?

Much of our anxiety and depression arises from cognitive dissonance-- behaving contrary to what you believe. We do this all the time, and it's this chaotic and contradictory behaviour that's killing our joy. We fall into those self-destructive mind states automatically because that's how we were trained. You can train your body to perform many remarkable feats, and it becomes the default state to play that piece of music perfectly, sink that basket every time, and remove that brain tumour with perfect precision! Training enables these behaviours.

You can re-train your brain too, and make it react naturally in ways that don't contradict your convictions.

Many of us take the antidepressant for a couple of years and effectively go to sleep, emotions buried-- a well-deserved rest. At some point we wean off. After 6 months our anxiety and depression creeps back in, and we still can't recognize that nothing's changed-- our same old brain with its same old behaviours and default mind states is right there waiting for us-- right there waiting to sabotage our happiness once again!

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

Absolutely true, TM. I'm thinking that this phase has to wait until after we're through the worst of the hard withdrawal/discontinuation phase, and have moved further away from the physical symptoms that take up all or most all of our "available band-width" ... for me, the start was that simple little yoga class I took ... I re-learned the breathing techniques that I had forgotten about over the many years since I'd done yoga more regularly .... now, with the encouragement and information shared by you, Brzghoff and the others here who have experience with mindfulness and the other techniques, I'm finding that I have both the energy, interest and motivation to delve into this ....

Yes, I'm using clonidine to manage my anxiety currently, and accept that I may need to use this, or something else, either long term or periodically ... but the more I can re-train my brain (and, the more it can manage to heal itself over time), I believe the better will be the quality of my life ....

It is, however, virtually impossible, at least for me, to use mindfulness etc. to address anxiety when I'm trapped in the middle of an unmanaged episode/outbreak of it.

#3 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hi TM! Do you have suggestions on where to begin with ACT and Mindfulness, reading/study materials :)? I haven't been posting lately, but check in occasionally! Hugs and prayers for all! Happy Fall Y'all!

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yes. So often when the physical symptoms begin to subside, the old spectres of anxiety and depression start to creep in, and we begin to feel we are back at square one.  In some ways, some people will be at square one-- but there are alternative ways to deal with our old friends. 

Start with something to keep the anxiety down-- that's the wild card! I could not imagine using Mindfulness to intervene in a skyrocketing episode of anxiety or rage. Impossible!

I agree that the physical symptoms occupy too much band-width to enable Mindfulness or other therapy to be up-loaded early on in discontinuation-- there's just too much activity in your head at this time.

But give it some thought.

In the end, when we have calm moments-- we still have to find a way to manage the debilitating emotional states we self-generate, and the anxiety and depression that are the fallout-- we can either bury them or we can seek to alter default mind-states through some form of re-training of the mind. But you're right, we need to wait for that receptive window to open.

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hi Clara

So nice to hear from you. I hope you are well. Here are two books I would recommend, and you can find them at Amazon.

1. The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Depression by Kirk D. Strosahl and Patricia J. Robinson.

2. The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety by George H. Elfert and John P. Forsyth.

These books come with CD, guided imagery, and Mindfulness exercises. As a strategy for broadening your Mindfulness understanding and practice, look into Mindfulness classes in your area. You might inquire through your therapist, medical community, community college, night classes, or university. 

All the best to you Clara!

#6 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

TM:

thnaks for bringing up this topic. i agree 150%!

i have felt that my anxiety has likely been hidden by cymbalta and other anti-d's over all these years so the irrational thinking that serves as a trigger was allowed to continue without me actually feeling what would have typically resulted in anxiety. i was numb to it.

when i first started on anti-d's - it was because i was depressed but anxiety wasn't a symptom - at the time (although it is a common symptom of depression for many people). i never experienced it until i came off the cymbalta - the last anti-d in my 18 year history on meds. i have learned a lot through REBT http://www.albertellis.org in managing irrational thinking that resulted in my depression. my thought processes specific to anxiety i most likely developed while on anti-d's, so when i finally quit - boom! i learned what else i needed to work on. same with pain. my arthritis got way worse during the ten years i was on cymbalta, but i didn't know how bad until i got off it. 

you can also search REBT in wikipedia to learn more about rational emotive behavioral therapy.

using mindfullness techniques have also been essential in my recovery and is why i am able to manage anxiety during the day. getting to sleep is the big challenge and i finally surrendered to clonidine, but am only taking .1 mg at night as needed. not getting sleep makes anxiety worse the next day. as i toss and turn in bed the fear of developing anxiety because i can't sleep is what keeps me awake. a heckuva cycle. i do not plan to take clonidine in the long term i am determined to do this on my own! the clonidine "has my back" so to speak while i develop better cognitive skills. 

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Great resource, Brzghoff, thank you for sharing it! I'm checking out their materials now.

http://albertellis.org/

"[T]he Albert Ellis Institute (AEI), a world-renowned psychotherapy training Institute established in 1959, committed to promoting emotional well-being through the research and application of effective, short-term therapy with long-term results.

AEI’s therapeutic approach is based on rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT), the pioneering form of cognitive behavior therapy. REBT is an action-oriented psychotherapy that teaches individuals to identify, challenge, and replace their self-defeating thoughts and beliefs with healthier thoughts that promote emotional well-being and goal achievement. REBT was developed in 1955 by Dr. Albert Ellis. Dr. Ellis has been considered one of the most influential psychotherapists in history. In a survey conducted in 1982 among approximately 800 American clinical and counseling psychologists, Albert Ellis was considered even more influential in the field than Sigmund Freud. Prior to his death in 2007, Psychology Today described him as the 'greatest living psychologist.'"

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

What is Rational Emotional Behavior Therapy (REBT)?
Understanding the Approach by Considering the Four Elements of its Name
Wyndy Dryden, Goldsmith's University of London
http://windydryden.c...nts_article.pdf

Excellent overview and introduction to REBT.

About the author, from his website (http://windydryden.com): Windy Dryden is one of the leading practitioners and trainers in the UK in the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) tradition of psychotherapy. He is best known for his work in Rational-Emotive Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (RECBT), a leading CBT approach. He has been working in the field of counselling and psychotherapy since 1975 and was one of the first people in Britain to be trained in CBT.

He has published over 200 books and has trained therapists all over the world, in as diverse places as the UK, the USA, South Africa, Turkey and Israel.

He is currently Professor of Psychotherapeutic Studies at Goldsmiths, University of London.
---------------------------------
Note: I found this "more better" article about REBT, and am inserting it in place of the two articles I originally posted.

Edited by FiveNotions, 24 September 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

The Effect of Mindfulness-Based Therapy on Anxiety and Depression: A Meta-Analytic Review (full text)
J Consult Clin Psychol. Apr 2010; 78(2): 169–183.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2848393/

DATA SOURCES: A literature search was conducted using PubMed, PsycInfo, the Cochrane Library, and manual searches.

REVIEW METHODS: The search identified 39 studies totaling 1,140 participants receiving mindfulness-based therapy for a range of conditions, including cancer, generalized anxiety disorder, depression, and other psychiatric or medical conditions.

RESULTS: Effect size estimates suggest that mindfulness-based therapy was moderately effective for improving anxiety . . . and mood symptoms . . . from pre to post-treatment in the overall sample. In patients with anxiety and mood disorders, this intervention was associated with effect sizes (Hedges’ g) of 0.97 and 0.95 for improving anxiety and mood symptoms, respectively. These effect sizes were robust, unrelated to publication year or number of treatment sessions, and were maintained over follow-up. [emphasis added]

CONCLUSION: These results suggest that mindfulness-based therapy is a promising intervention for treating anxiety and mood problems in clinical populations.

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

Good article explaining the "cognitive dissonance theory" .... I can see my own current anxiety issues fit right into this :blink: ... intend to explore this further!

Cognitive Dissonance (2008, updated 2014)
http://www.simplypsy...dissonance.html

FTA: Cognitive dissonance refers to a situation involving conflicting attitudes, beliefs or behaviors.

This produces a feeling of discomfort leading to an alteration in one of the attitudes, beliefs or behaviors to reduce the discomfort and restore balance etc.

For example, when people smoke (behavior) and they know that smoking causes cancer (cognition).

Festinger's (1957) cognitive dissonance theory suggests that we have an inner drive to hold all our attitudes and beliefs in harmony and avoid disharmony (or dissonance).

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Clara, hello! How are you doing/feeling? I miss having you post regularly!

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

brzghoff

I really like Albert Ellis.

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

As do I, TM .... perhaps I need to find a better article about REBT to replace the one I posted ... I didn't intend to infer that I disapprove of or dislike Dr. Ellis' work ... it's helped thousands of people already, and will clearly continue to do so. I was simply very surprised at the level of discussion about his philosophy and theories that underlie his work and thought that it might be helpful for others who are considering using his techniques.

I'd be happy to change the articles for other more neutral ones if you think that would be better. :)

Note: I edited my REBT article post, up thread, and swapped out those two articles for a better one. I apologize for my earlier poor choices. :(

Edited by FiveNotions, 24 September 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

FN

The ones you posted are perfect. I never knew Ellis's work is a huge part of the foundation of what we call 'modern' psychotherapy. Thank you for the links.

#15 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

my last of 4 therps was trained by ellis in rebt. it took 8 years to find him. saved my life. 

one of the stoic greek philosophers who inspired ellis was epictetus who said "men are disturbed not by things, but by the views which they take of them.” 

maybe thats why i was so attracted to the song dancin' circles round the sun by country singer rodney crowell. its not everyday that a country singer pays homage to a greek philosopher and whose lyrics include mentions of picasso and miles davis. i consider it a thinking mans country song. when i first heard it i had no idea the song's subtitle is "epictetus speaks"

Rodney Crowell:Dancin' Circles Round The Sun (Epictetus Speaks)

Disregard what don't concern you, don't let disappointment turn you
Avoid adopting other people's views
Know what you can and can't control, don't let envy take a toll
It's nothing more than weather passing through
When your back's against the wall, when you're headed for a fall
The tables set to make a run dancin' circles round the sun

Through action wisdom is revealed and too much talk is like a shield
In silence lies the keys to how we grow
When focused on the truth at hand, the critics try to make you bland
But they don't understand what they don't know
Make your own cracks in the sky, grit your teeth and learn to fly
And when the right thing has been done, you'll be dancin' circles round the sun

Forgive the ones who meant to harm you, don't let superstition charm you
Conform your wishes only to what's real
Your reputation doesn't matter, let idle gossip chirp and chatter
No one else can tell you how you feel
In between the masks you wear, wash your face and comb your hair
You're not hurting anyone dancin' circles round the sun

Your mind cries out to God alone, please send me someone I can own
Your soul says son you're walking on thin ice
Possession in the broadest sense, compounded by coincidence
When all it takes is one roll of the dice
In between the good and bad, think of all the fun you had
It's the same for everyone dancin' circles round the sun

Evolution comes in fits, it stops and starts, it coughs and spits
Picasso and Mile Davis come to mind
True artists, bold unbridled passion, no concern for fad or fashion
Sexy beasts in love with woman kind
Bend the rules until it breaks, stand your ground until it shakes
That's the way to get things done dancin' circles round the sun

Hey, sod convention let's have fun dancin' circles round the sun

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

I've gotta' find him singing this ... I admit, I've never heard of Rodney Crowell, but clearly I need to inform myself! Thanks for posting those lyrics, Brzghoff .... and for you to have finally found the right therapist, and to say that he saved your life ... how I wish there was one like that for each one of us here, and for all those everywhere who so desperately need that help ...

How are you feeling now? How's the anxiety level? Those hikes/walks you and your husband took tell me that you're doing really well! :)

#17 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

FN and brzghoff

Rodney Crowell is an acclaimed singer-songwriter born in 1950. He was married to Rosanne Cash (daughter of Johnny Cash and June Carter) for 13 years. One of my favourite Crowell song is "I Couldn't Leave You if I Tried".

The story of Epictetus is very interesting. As a Stoic he believed there are things that are within your control and things that aren't. You'll be miserable if you don't take command of those things you can control. Good point!

He said, "men are disturbed not by things, but by the views which they take of them.” This is a very interesting quote and it seems to indicate Epictetus was part Determinist and part believer in Free Will-- a Compatible-ist perhaps. I think he's saying the universe unfolds and events (things) occur, and now you have a choice of how you will respond to those events.

As a Determinist, I would say the universe unfolds and events (things) occur, and one of those events is the building of your mind. Therefore any decision you make will necessarily come out of that history, that unfolding of the universe-- the feeling that you are actually choosing is therefore an illusion. If I'm standing beside a brain surgeon who's in the middle of an operation and he or she suddenly drops dead, I couldn't choose to complete the surgery. That choice is not available to me due to my non-medical history. Free will appears to be an illusion.

A fun can of worms.

#18 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Man, the stuff I learn here ... physiology, re-training the brain, country music .... love it!
-------------------
Cross-posting this from FH's thread "understanding anxiety" ...

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder in Older Adults: A Preliminary Report (full text)
Behavioral Therapy, March 2011
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3496779/

Abstract excerpt: Some evidence suggests that acceptance-based approaches such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) may be well-suited to geriatric generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The primary goal of this project was to determine whether ACT was feasible for this population. Seven older primary-care patients with GAD received 12 individual sessions of ACT; another 9 were treated with cognitive-behavioral therapy. No patients dropped out of ACT, and worry and depression improved. Findings suggest that ACT may warrant a large-scale investigation with anxious older adults.

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

"The Three-Minute-Therapist," a regular section in Psychology Today, written by Michael Edelstein, a clinical psychologist.
http://www.psycholog...inute-therapist

For example:

An interview Edelstein did with "Johnny Strike, author, musician, former counselor, and founding member of San Francisco's earliest punk band Crime. . . a wide-ranging, in-depth interview . . . [discussing] self-esteem, addictions, procrastination, obesity, psychoanalysis, Albert Ellis, REBT/CBT.

What are you telling yourself? (Part I) (February 2014)
http://www.psycholog...ling-yourself-0

What are you telling yourself? (Part II)
http://www.psycholog...ourself-part-ii

#20 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

discovered rodney in 1978, discovered dancin' circles in 2004... my fave song of his is home sweet home revisited.

i am doing much better since coming up north. the mountains are truly my 'home" anxiety is minimal during the day, and not much worse at night. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users