• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Violetta

Violetta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to stop being a slave to this drug cymbalta.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

Hello All. I am really glad I was able to find such an informative and supportive forum with caring people who will understand. I have been on cymbalta 60 mgs once a day. I am taking this medicine for PDSD, depression,amxiety and panic attacks. I had my first panic attack 10 years ago and went to the er. They told me I was bordinline hypothyroidism. About 5 years ago I was told now I am hypothyroidism and was given Levothyroxin.

Within the first few months I would have anxiety attacks off on on. I have attended group and one - on therapy. I have overcome and have closure of all the hurts pians scars etc to the point I can deal or have peace. I havent had an anxiety attack in 7 years. It seems when my thyroid levels are stable my anxietyand depression is less.

This week I have been doing research on coconut oil,maca and many vitamins to add as well as eating more healthier. I have gained 35 lbs maybe more since this toxic medicine. My bp tends to go up,headaces,hard to sleep then when I do sleep I can sleep all day,..just dont feel myself being on cymbalta. I dont feel I need it and want to come off.

I would like to know how many bean do I take out so I can begin this process. I want to go nice and slow,listen to my body so I will not go through all these harsh withdrawls.

I am happily married with 2 children. My husband has been there for me since day 1. I have no family but his family is supportive.

Please help with any advice.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

Welcome Violetta!

You have come to the right place!  The members here are kind, caring, supportive and knowledgeable!  Have you checked out any of our forums?

The best and least difficult way to get off this crap is the bead counting.  Please check it out - we have it listed on our home page.

Most of us have suffered anxiety while getting off this stuff, but then there are some of us (myself included) who just jumped into the withdrawal of cold turkey - NOT RECOMMENDED!!  I was on 60 for around 4 yrs and just stopped - down to zero in 1 day.  You can avoid the worst of the symptoms by doing the bead counting at your own pace.  The reason I mention anxiety is that most of us have had this along the way and have found benzos to be invaluable.  If you don't have any, your doctor can prescribe them for you.

Please read about the bead counting and feel free to ask whatever questions you may have - you will get the right answers! 

Again, welcome and please keep posting regarding your progress!  This is a safe place and no one will judge you - you can vent, cry, whatever - it's all OK!

You are very fortunate to have the support of your family, and because of them, you need to keep this as gentle a process as possible since you need to care for them as well.

#3 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

Violetta, welcome to the forum. If you are considering using the bead count method I can tell you where to find this method. On the Cymbalta Withdrawal Help and Support, then go under ARE YOU NEW HERE, then you will find
Bead Counting - How To Do It.....pick this and you will find a post on how to bead count.

Please ask any questions and concerns at any time. There are wonderful members here who will soon be popping in to share their knowledge, support, experiences, and kindness with you.

Please keep us posted on your progress...

#4 Violetta

Violetta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to stop being a slave to this drug cymbalta.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

Thank you so much. I will go look at this post now. I do have valium and take this when I feel anxious.

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

Thank you so much. I will go look at this post now. I do have valium and take this when I feel anxious.

...that's good to have on hand just in case....

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Welcome Violetta, I'm so glad you found us!

Congratulations on dealing with and beating the anxiety monster ... no attack in 7 years is wonderful! And, I may add, very encouraging to those many of us here who are currently dealing with anxiety.

Sure seems like you've done your planning and research to prepare for getting off the Cymbalta.

Here's the link to the bead counting thread we've started ... we're trying to centralize our information and experience there, so it's a bit more organized and easier to find.

https://www.cymbalta...g-how-to-do-it/

Also, if you haven't already, check out our "nutritional support" forum ... tons of info and experience in there.

The basic group that many / most of us take early on are multi vitamin, B complex, omega 3 and chelated magnesium ... but, another of our members, Fishinghat, learned that before we take magnesium we need to be sure that it doesn't interact with any other meds we're taking. Here's the link to that info:

https://www.cymbalta...-with-some-meds

Weight gain is really common with this drug, as is increased bp. I also gained about 35 pounds, and, gradually, over the past 10 months, it's all dropped away. Also, my bp is back to pretty much normal ... a bit "borderline" high, so I do take a tiny dose of meds, but nothing like the 180/120 it was on crapalta.

Keep us posted!

#7 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

Dear, Violetta
Welcome to the forum;) i somehow missed your and post and apologize for not responding until now. I can relate to a couple of the same problems you mention.

"It seems when my thyroid levels are stable my anxietyand depression is less."

I have hypothyroidism also...mine is Hashimoto's Syndrome which is basically, unmanaged hypothyroidism that over a long period time that eventually worsens the condition and is harder to stabilize. My levels are checked every three months and are never stable so the Levothyroxid, i take the generic Synthroid, is constantly being readjusted. I am currently on 150mcg. I found a site called StoptheThyroidMadness.com that has been most helpful in finding support and can give you a list of lab-work tests to take to your doctor and have ordered. I am also looking into dessicated thyroid that addresses the T3 levels as well as the T4 and have an appointment with a holistic medicine practitioner to go over my recent blood work. Most internists, endocrinologists & gp's order the outdated TSH level testing which has proven inadequate testing for properly diagnosing hypothyrodism, much less managing it! There is no question that when your thyroid levels are erratic and not managed properly, depression is a huge factor. Please check out the website, I think you will find some solid answers and explanations about hypothyroidism and how much effect it has had on your moods, weight gain etc.

"My bp tends to go up, headaces, hard to sleep then when I do sleep I can sleep all day,..just dont feel myself being on cymbalta. I dont feel I need it and want to come off."

When I was on 120mg of Crap, I had severe insomnia and when I did fall asleep, I could also sleep all day! I thought it was fibro/cfs related, but since stopping the dope I now am wide awake and refreshed after 6-7 hours of sleep! My bp has also dropped since I stopped, as well! No headaches while on the crap, but I have a constant, low grade headache since stopping the C some 4 1/2 months ago
"I would like to know how many bean do I take out so I can begin this process. I want to go nice and slow,listen
I am happily married with 2 children. My husband has been there for me since day 1. I have no family but his family is supportive."

Excellent decision to bead count and do a slow taper! Have you read the bead counting methods suggested by several members who have successfully had a much easier time of managing the withdrawal symptoms with seemingly less harsh side effects? You also have a loving, supportive family that will be of invaluable help while you taper slowly off this drug!

I look forward to your progress reports! Please keep checking in and let us know how you are doing and if we can help you in any way!

Such a smart, well thought out plan of getting of the C!! Good luck to you, Violetta

Keep moving forward and take good care of yourself;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users