26 replies to this topic

#1 bnlburright

bnlburright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • why_joining:
    Needing support and understanding to cope with the withdrawls of C.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

Been off Cymbalta for 6 days now..cold turkey after 10 years.  I took it for depression and anorexia.  I quit taking it because I was getting anxiety which I struggle with anyway but it was worse.  I didn't feel like the drug worked for me like it had before.  I was fine until day 3. On day 3, brain zaps, vertigo, nausea, tired, insomnia and lots of crying, worsen depression.  I am able to function but just not feeling great.  My condition so far is manageable and I have a very supportive husband.  I however, do not want this to get worse and going back on is not an option for me. I just wondered if anyone else has been on it as long as me and what their symptoms are.  I am hoping for the best, but also a bit concerned with how long this will last.

Never, ever had I heard about the withdrawl symptoms.  I came to this website because of what I was feeling and it scared me.  Now I only wish that I had gotten off this drug years ago.

I am a 54 year old female in great health and condition.  I run everyday and have for 30 years.  Hoping being in good shape will help to.  I eat healthy and drink alcohol in moderation.  Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. I will keep posting on my progress.  I'm trying to think positive.

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

Bnlburright, welcome to the forum. Yes, unfortunately many have gone cold turkey off cymbalta. It's a very hard way to go. Others will soon be popping in and telling you this way of quitting is extremely difficult and share their experiences. Unfortunately, you stated you have no choice and won't take this drug again.

You might have a rough road ahead of you going cold turkey. The best thing you can do is keep yourself as healthy as you can and post whenever you can so we can help you through this.

Take care and continue to stay healthy and listen to what your body is telling you.

We are here for you....

#3 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:02 AM

Bnlb what dose were you taking and are you under medical monitoring? Bravo to you but it will be 3-6 weeks before some of the rough s/e withdrawal symptoms slighly dissipate . I found that keeping a little daily log helped me look back on days when I thought I was not improving. For me the Zaps and Vertigo and days of feeling hopless were the worst often telling myself >i guess i will never be able to get off this medication (but i did now 1 year ago)  Keep us posted and read the help links .

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Bnlb, Zappalta is right when saying that you could be in for a tough ride for a few weeks and more. What was your dosage?

You have gone cold turkey, that is tough. But, you say that you are in top condition, this will help. Running every day, eating healthy, bravo!

And you mentionned that it worsened the anxiety, good reason to get off.

I ct from 15 to 0. As for me also, it made the anxiety a nightmare, did not have any choice than ct from 15.

Ct is not recommended as you will see when others chime in.

Zappalta, wondering how you are doing after a year off? What remains?

#5 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Been off Cymbalta for 6 days now..cold turkey after 10 years.  I took it for depression and anorexia.  I quit taking it because I was getting anxiety which I struggle with anyway but it was worse.  I didn't feel like the drug worked for me like it had before.  I was fine until day 3. On day 3, brain zaps, vertigo, nausea, tired, insomnia and lots of crying, worsen depression.  I am able to function but just not feeling great.  My condition so far is manageable and I have a very supportive husband.  I however, do not want this to get worse and going back on is not an option for me. I just wondered if anyone else has been on it as long as me and what their symptoms are.  I am hoping for the best, but also a bit concerned with how long this will last.

Never, ever had I heard about the withdrawl symptoms.  I came to this website because of what I was feeling and it scared me.  Now I only wish that I had gotten off this drug years ago.

I am a 54 year old female in great health and condition.  I run everyday and have for 30 years.  Hoping being in good shape will help to.  I eat healthy and drink alcohol in moderation.  Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. I will keep posting on my progress.  I'm trying to think positive.

3  things we have in common.

1) age 54 when coming off (still am 54)

2) 10 years on the C

3) female

i dropped from 90 to 60 about 2 1/2 years go - no taper no side effects of withdrawal. i dropped to 30 about a half year later, no taper no side effects. in march of this year i split open caps to 15 mgs. and took every day,no side effects. 2 weeks later i did 15 mgs every other day and got the fluish feelings, aches and pain, pretty bad too, the runs, started dropping weight rapidly. moodiness, crying spells (never got zaps) and anxiety started to build. i went cold a couple weeks later on may 15. so its been 5 months ago today -  22 weeks tomorrow. the roughest ride was at 2 months to 4 months. its cyclicle, so the symptoms fade and kick back in. every couple days/weeks. for me, as the physical ones go down, the mental ones kick in. anxiety by far the worst of the bunch. i have a great therapist and my primary tool to fight anxiety is skills learned though cognitive behavioral therapy. to sleep i used benardyl and sometimes an ambien. i finally got a clonidine 'scrip, only take a .1 mg pill most nights for sleep. thats when its hard to manage anxiety and get some sleep. i do ocassionally take kava kava - natural suppliment here and there. works great for me but everyone is different. i can't handle l tryptophan, others do well with that. 

now at 5 months i feel alot better and can manage day to day. normal activity, nothing seems to overwhelm me - other than my husband's obsessive focus on being busy fromm sun up to sundown and his expectation that all who surround him must also be involved in a task all day long. it doesn't really matter what it is, as long as everyone is busy. he's been that way his whole life but it is still hard for me to manage my reactions these days - part of re-developing healthy thought/behavioral patterns since the C is no longer my crutch. i can't change him, but i can change my reactions to him. otherwise he is a lovely man and am still crazy mad in love with him. 

i quit because i felt i didn't need it anymore and the drug's side effects of weight gain, high blood pressure and inability to empty my bladder all the way causing chronic UTI's

i did get pangs of giving up and going back on the drug in the 2 - 4 month period - but thanks to the support on this site i stuck it out. 

oh yeah, i drank like a fish on the C - stopped almost immediately since quitting. starting to enjoy a beer here and there, or a glass of wine with dinner. uit coffee for awhile too, but drunking it every morning again

good luck, you can do it and all of us are here to help. 

#6 bnlburright

bnlburright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Thank you sooo  much for the replies.  It  all helps.  I have been on 30mgs. for 10 years.  Went up to 60mg for a short period a few years ago and had other worsening side effects so went back to 30mgs.  I am not being monitored and haven't been for about 5 years now.  Was in therapy for years but therapist retired and I've done ok without. 

I know I can beat this mentally, just physically don't like the symptoms.  Worse is nausea and insomnia.  I am doing plenty of crying, but I have a great husband helping me.

Any suggestions for nausea and insomnia??

Thank you!

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

nausea: the normal treatment you'd do if you had it otherwise. for me that means "white food" white bread, saltines, bananas - or if that's too much, sips of water and ice chips. some people nibble on fresh shredded ginger root.

insomnia: L tryptohan works for many, valerian works for some, gives me a headache. if you can get a 'scrip for ambien/zolpidem, that works great. the anti-histamine benadryl works well if you don't mind the morning dopey hangover. i use clonidine, a med for quickly lowering blood pressure, side effects make it great as a sleep aid, drowsiness and reducing anxiety - for which it is also prescribed.  some folks here use benzos, i stay away.

also, i too am in great shape and eat very healthy. i don't run but i cycle and hike. i never had anxiety probs before i took C or during it. only when i came off. very terrifying for me. i took it for depression but anxiety was never a component of it until i quit. i realy haven't been depressed since quitting. 

the physical stuff is what hits first, the mental stuff is what hits worst. i stopped therapy 8 years into taking the C. hand't been in two years when i quit. however, i was back in his office a month later. i've only been three times since may - but it helped a ton. while i admire your determination, feel free to change your mind ;-) 

#8 Hopeful2014

Hopeful2014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hi Bnlburright

Im new on here too but am delighted to have found the website and the friendly helpful people on it :)

I have to say fairplay to all of you who have managed to go cold turkey.  I honestly wish I could go that way to just get off this stuff... However after 3 failed attempts of trying to wean off (or so I thought!) and literally not being able to function on my last attempt I dont think its right for me.  However I truely wish the best of luck to the ones who are using this option and working through the withdrawal symptoms to give up this med for good  :)

Im only on Day 10 of removing beads reducing my dosage by 3mg over the 10 days and Im feeling bad enough at that.  The thoughts of giving the whole 90mg cold turkey sends shivers down me as I know I wouldnt be able to handle it.  Im about to spend some time reading through the bead counting posts to get a better understanding so I can slow things down and hopefully not be affected as badly!

Good luck with your journey bnlburright :)

#9 Neesee

Neesee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    Research/help for weaning off Cymbalta/Duloxetine

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'm new here also. I spent hours on here yesterday reading all the posts. I think this site is going to be helpful. I mean it has been already. I wish you all the best Bnlburright

#10 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hi Bnlburright

Im new on here too but am delighted to have found the website and the friendly helpful people on it :)

I have to say fairplay to all of you who have managed to go cold turkey.  I honestly wish I could go that way to just get off this stuff... However after 3 failed attempts of trying to wean off (or so I thought!) and literally not being able to function on my last attempt I dont think its right for me.  However I truely wish the best of luck to the ones who are using this option and working through the withdrawal symptoms to give up this med for good  :)

Im only on Day 10 of removing beads reducing my dosage by 3mg over the 10 days and Im feeling bad enough at that.  The thoughts of giving the whole 90mg cold turkey sends shivers down me as I know I wouldnt be able to handle it.  Im about to spend some time reading through the bead counting posts to get a better understanding so I can slow things down and hopefully not be affected as badly!

Good luck with your journey bnlburright :)

glad that you've found the bead counting tips helpful. wish i'd known in time. i didn't have enough pills left to do it and couldn't afford anymore, all thanks to my new insurance plan that costs everything and covers nothing ;-)

i read your "story" on the other thread you started. unbelievable. what the C does to us is unconscionable. the fact that you have to go through hell to wean off before you can even have a child is criminal. 

#11 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Welcome y'all! Slow and easy does the trick! No cold turkey unless it absolutely is no other way! Been there and it's not pretty! God bless!

#12 bnlburright

bnlburright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

Well, almost 4 weeks cold turkey.  At week 3 thought it was all going away...till a few days ago.  Nausea, insomnia, crying (sadness), bloated belly, and clastraphobia/panic which I've never had in my life.  I can't sleep at night.  Wake up can't breath..hard to catch a deep breath.  Nose is plugged for no reason (no cold, allergies, etc.) I get a clastraphobic,panic feeling.  I have to get up or sit up in bed and try to breath deep which isn't easy.  I am sooo tired of this and am afraid that this is the new me. I'm a very strong person usually but this is eating me up alive.  I can't handle it. I feel like I'm in the bottom of a pool and can't get to the top.  Makes me more panicky and afraid. It feels as though too an elephant is on my chest and just can't breath.  Has anyone else felt this way?  ANNNDDD biggest question how long does all this last?  I can't take it anymore.

I am taking all the vitamin supplements as suggested.  I tried melatonin a few times but I would wake up from nightmares in even more of a panic clastraphobic state.  I keep running/walking and that helps with the breathing but I can't do that 24/7.

Please help, I need answers and need to know this will not last....so very tired of being sick and tired.

#13 Limbo

Limbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hi Bnlburright,

I have been weaning for five months, and it's been good. However, I do have perioic hard moments where I can't breath and panic, sometimes it last a full day, but it always passes. Reading of your experiences reminds me that I am not alone.

Thismoment, a big contributor to this blog, always says to hold on to the mast and just survive the storm - you cannot tell if this is who you really are or not at this moment. Withdrawl symptoms usually make you feel like depression is coming back - but it's often just the terrible withdrawl not the depression coming back. You won't be able to tell until there is more time behind you without the medication in you system. 

Can you go to your doctors and get something to help this process? I think you may be in need to something to help this withdrawl and doctors often prescribe small doses of other drugs to help you through.

Also, there are many conversations that have gone on in this forum where others share tips. I suggests skimming through some topics, as I know there have been too many people in your position when going cold turkey and those conversations could provide you some much needed suggestions and tips.

I am thinking of you, and know that strong person is still inside of you - you are going through a storm and YOU WILL  come out the other end, focus on the day to day - try not to judge yourself through this moment, withdrawl is bigger than us and if we could use willpower to get through it, this forum wouldn't exist.

Take care of yourself, read thorugh some of the conversations that have been on going here - you'll find strength in hearing about the many who have had nearly the exact same struggle as you. There are many who have written on here through their entire withdrawl process and are in a much better mental place now.

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Limbo, excellen post!

Mentioning Thismoment , tying yourself to the mast, how often she or he mentioned that. I had forgotten about this citation. Glad you brought it back.

Bnl, this is not the new you, this is withdrawal. As Limbo mentioned, look up past posts, specially Thismoment posts on withdrawal, you will see that it is not unusual to feel the way you feel, it is the norm.

And, yes, tie yourself to the mast. 4 weeks off, that is early, but definitely not the new you. Keep posting and reading here, you are not alone!

#15 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

bnlb, I asked the same questions, "is this the new me" while in w/ds. The answer is no! You'll be going through many changes. Some easy and some tough ones. They will ease as time passes! Hang in there! You're in my thoughts and prayers!

#16 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

Bnlb,

Being a cold turkey survivor of over 10 months, I have been through some very rough times.  I am thankful for all the wonderful people here who have given me help and uplifting advice. Everything you have mentioned is part of this nasty withdrawal.  I went from 60mg to 0 in 1 day.

Unless you have a very unusual Dr., I would not mention the withdrawal to him/her.  Most are clueless  -  they only know what the drug reps tell them and don't even think there is any withdrawal.  Oh, how I wish they would go through this... :angry:  If you mention your symptoms, they will just prescribe another med to deal with that particular symptom -  this seems to be a never-ending cycle.

I'm sorry to say that since you are not even 4 weeks off the crap, there will still be some nasty stuff to come.  I don't know why you went off this cold turkey - was there a reason?  Meaning that the bead counting would have been so much easier on you.  I didn't even find this forum until I was 2 weeks into the cold turkey - had no idea there was any withdrawal, but sure went through Hell finding out about it!

If you are young, this will not be as bad as it is on those of us over the age of 50.  That's one good thing..

Please read through our forums here as they are full of much useful information and feel free to post whenever you feel the need - vent, cry, ask questions, whatever.  It is very safe here and no one will judge you.

I look forward to hearing how things go for you - please keep us updated!

Liz :)  

#17 bnlburright

bnlburright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

Been 9 weeks now.  I am feeling very depressed. Physical symptoms are improving but the depression is not good.  I'm still running, getting rest, taking the vitamins and still can't get out of this funk..I'm also going thru menopause and am wondering if a hormone imbalance is possible too and not helping my mood.

Just feel sooo very sad and can't shake it.  Does this go away or do I need to get on something else...suggestions please!

#18 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hi bn, I am so sorry you are feeling so depressed at 9 weeks off. My heart goes out to you. You are exercising and taking care of yourself. Perhaps. 9 weeks is too soon to expect the depression to lift as your brain is still working overtime to re-wire itself.

Many say it goes away and I don't know that there is anything else you can take to make the discontinuation process speed up. It sucks!

Others who are doing better will soon reply with more optimism.

Take care and keep up the fight....xxxxxx

#19 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

bnlb,

I, too, am sorry that you are experiencing such terrible depression.  I am no expert, but if I were you, I would check with your Dr. to see if some hormone therapy might be in order.  At this point in your withdrawal, it's really hard to tell what is what.  Worth a try?

Congratulations on continuing with the exercise - good for you!   :)

Are you currently taking a benzo or any other med?

I urge you to check with your Dr. regarding the menopause.

Please keep posting to let us know how things are going for you...

Liz

#20 Limbo

Limbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hey bnlb,

This showed up on another thread on the website: http://mentalhealthd...nal-experience/

It will, at the least, let you know that others went through the long haul as you did, and got better. 

Do you have a good therapist?  

I myself am coming off via bead counting and am searching for one. I had a set back over the weekend, when the weaning process was successful up to then. It reminded me I need a professional that I can call if I do his a sever setback.

Thinking of you,

#21 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

bnb, hang in there! Things do and will get better. not to say there won't be bad days and setbacks but they will be fewer and farther between! Hugs and prayers! :)

#22 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

That is a great, informative article. Most all the things said sounded like myself! Near the end was the statement saying you have to tough through it and that is so right! No matter how long it takes, we must keep pressing forward to overcome this horrid drug! Many thanks for sharing, Limbo! FYI, y'all, there are some good new articles at the Mad In America website. Sorry I am not tec savvy enough to put them here. I'm connected to it via FB and get the latest blogs etc. there. God bless all!

#23 jimmcg

jimmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

3  things we have in common.

1) age 54 when coming off (still am 54)

2) 10 years on the C

3) female

i dropped from 90 to 60 about 2 1/2 years go - no taper no side effects of withdrawal. i dropped to 30 about a half year later, no taper no side effects. in march of this year i split open caps to 15 mgs. and took every day,no side effects. 2 weeks later i did 15 mgs every other day and got the fluish feelings, aches and pain, pretty bad too, the runs, started dropping weight rapidly. moodiness, crying spells (never got zaps) and anxiety started to build. i went cold a couple weeks later on may 15. so its been 5 months ago today -  22 weeks tomorrow. the roughest ride was at 2 months to 4 months. its cyclicle, so the symptoms fade and kick back in. every couple days/weeks. for me, as the physical ones go down, the mental ones kick in. anxiety by far the worst of the bunch. i have a great therapist and my primary tool to fight anxiety is skills learned though cognitive behavioral therapy. to sleep i used benardyl and sometimes an ambien. i finally got a clonidine 'scrip, only take a .1 mg pill most nights for sleep. thats when its hard to manage anxiety and get some sleep. i do ocassionally take kava kava - natural suppliment here and there. works great for me but everyone is different. i can't handle l tryptophan, others do well with that. 

now at 5 months i feel alot better and can manage day to day. normal activity, nothing seems to overwhelm me - other than my husband's obsessive focus on being busy fromm sun up to sundown and his expectation that all who surround him must also be involved in a task all day long. it doesn't really matter what it is, as long as everyone is busy. he's been that way his whole life but it is still hard for me to manage my reactions these days - part of re-developing healthy thought/behavioral patterns since the C is no longer my crutch. i can't change him, but i can change my reactions to him. otherwise he is a lovely man and am still crazy mad in love with him. 

i quit because i felt i didn't need it anymore and the drug's side effects of weight gain, high blood pressure and inability to empty my bladder all the way causing chronic UTI's

i did get pangs of giving up and going back on the drug in the 2 - 4 month period - but thanks to the support on this site i stuck it out. 

oh yeah, i drank like a fish on the C - stopped almost immediately since quitting. starting to enjoy a beer here and there, or a glass of wine with dinner. uit coffee for awhile too, but drunking it every morning again

good luck, you can do it and all of us are here to help. 

Glad to read this today. I'm male, 59. I was on anti-depressants for 22 years, most recently Cymbalta for the last five or six. I went cold turkey from 30 just over four months ago. Tough times. Physical symptoms very strong. It helps me to hear you say 2-4 months were hard, because they are hard for me, and today I was tempted to go back on 30. Christmas has been tough because of the holiday downtime and the increased time to sit and ruminate. Lots of trouble eating this week. I also have a go-getter spouse who never stops. She doesn't try to make me feel guilty, but it's hard not to when she's going full throttle and I can't cope. Just when I need acceptance I'm feeling resentment....

j.

#24 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

jimmcg,

glad to be able to provide some hope. i will say it is very cyclic. do NOT let that discourage you. dec 14 or so the anxiety kicked in again big time, had to go bacl to being a "nun" (no alcohol or coffee) i think that helps minimally. it has come way down in the past two days. i honestly think it was christmas stress. i don't do well this time of year. i had big family 5 events in 5 days. i can get caught up in other's expectations instead of focusing on my healing and it took its toll this year - but of course now things are slowing down and i am feeling normal once again.

hang in there, i too was on anti-d's overall for 18 years, so i expect it will be a while longer before my recovery gets me closer to feeling "normal" again - whatever that is ;-)

#25 jimmcg

jimmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Thanks Brzghoff. That's reasurring. Looking though these forums I have yet to see anyone with the 22 years on anti-depressants I had. At 18 years you're the closest yet, so it's good to know (sorta) I'm not just crazy. Therapy is helping big time, particularly discovering my issue is not depression, but anxiety. I think naming a problem gets you half way to dealing with it. What's discouraging now is, as you say, how cyclic it is. I'd been doing well, then his past week around Christmas and New Year has been almost my worst since I started four months ago. Christmas stresses and lots of people around coinciding with a bad time in the cycle I guess. Or, perhaps the stresses kicking off a bad time in the cycle. I just keep trying to tell myself this will all pass with time.

Funny how you can have major social anxiety in a room full of people you love....

Tell you what:  pain is a great motivator for changing bad patterns.

j.

#26 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Jim,

Don't get discouraged by those cycles, they come and go and that can continue for a while.
The moment that you think that you are out of the woods, you are back in. That is the way it goes.

You have been doing well, and that will be back. Of course the holiday period is apt to bring up the anxiety.

And yes, this will pass, even if it does not seem like it.
I know about it, and don't wish that on my worst enemy, which I don't think I have.

Four months off, cold turkey after all this time on it, I have to say Bravo and what courage you have!

Keep us posted, we care.

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

Jim, that's an awesome progress report! .... after so many years on, and then to go cold turkey ... wow!

And yes, pain sure is a great motivator, isn't it .... and double, triple yes ... anxiety in the midst of a room filled with people you love ... yep, in some ways, that can be the worst ... cuz if it's people we love, we want to "make them happy," live up to their expectations, all that shit ...

Hang in there with the therapy... that's definitely the key... and, naming the demon ... anxiety, not depression ...

Wise words, Jim ... keep checking in and sharing them with us!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users