Photo

Article (Must Read): "letter To A Patient" (From Madinamerica)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

Clara found this absolutely excellent article on MadInAmerica, and asked me to post it ...

I think it's a "must read" ... really hit home with me... inspiring and flat-out honest / blunt at the same time ... from a gal who got off all her meds ... what she suffered, still does, and why she's so happy that she quit and has stayed off the meds in spite of her continued struggles ...

"Letter to a Patient"
MadInAmerica, 10/20/2014
http://www.madinamer...letter-patient/

#2 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

Thank you FN. I shared this on my Fb page.

What a wonderful letter! 

Just what I needed to read today and I'm sure I will re-read it many times.  :hug:

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

Hi Renee! All "thank-you's" go directly to Clara :)... she found it, but wasn't sure how to post the link ...

#4 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thank you to Clara then as I read it and re-read it plus there were some great links to other articles that were also very informative for me.

The letter itself really helped me see that what I am suffering with right now isn't because of an illness but rather the flattening of my emotions probably because of the mood stabilizer meds. I don't know that I agree with the authors of some of the other articles who say that there is no such thing as bipolar after all that I have been through and am still dealing with but it does open the mind to possibilities.

I know I cannot take antidepressants as they make me manic or worse mixed so now my hope is to learn to mediate and learn mindfulness with the goal being to gradually reduce my meds to find out just who I am post Crapalta. As long as I don't go back to the way I was in those first 6 months Crapalta free then maybe I can be med free. It is something I have to at least try but very cautiously.

The great thing about this is at least I have a Psychologist who will work with me to help me learn to calm myself with mediation and mindfulness. As a bonus my Psychiatrist who doesn't believe in loading her patients up with meds and has always said that once I am stable we will reduce the meds to find the lowest dose possible where I can stay stable. Maybe I have just been very lucky but I don't think these professionals are given as much of a chance to help us as they deserve. Sometimes we need to do our homework before making an appointment with one and stop blaming them for our problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users