• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nicoli046

nicoli046

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

I started to get off cymbalta in June , I took out the little beads until I got down to what I thought was a reasonable amount , I took my last Dose in the beginning of September. I had the usual withdrawal symptoms , nothing to bad. Now January 4months after my last dose the withdrawal seems worst then the first month. Dull pressure headache in front of head, Dizzy, Nausea vertigo feeling and BRAIN ZAPS at night and in morning when laying in bed these last couple days. Has Anyone notice withdrawal symptoms being worst or coming on a couple months after last dose. Does anyone know any thing I can take to help

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Welcome nicoli!

So happy you found us!  This is a great group of caring, supportive people! 

I'm sorry that you're having such a rough time...  This withdrawal/discontinuation process is very cyclic..  things get better for a while and then B A M!  Some of the symptoms reappear.  We are all different and it is hard to predict what will happen to each of us.  There is no time line either - it lasts as long as it lasts for each of us.

Did you wean down slowly or quickly?  Sometimes, if you go too quickly, the symptoms are greater.  If you have been completely off the crap since Sept. my guess is that what you are feeling now will soon fade.  Are you on any other meds?  Benzos of any kind?  What was your original dosage and how long were you on it?  What was it prescribed for?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but we need the answers to better help you! I did not bead count - I am a cold turkey survivor of about a year now, as are many of us...

Others will come on to welcome you - please post your answers - we care and we want to help!

#3 nicoli046

nicoli046

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

No Benzo , Took last pill in September, normal with draw symptoms, felt good Oct November Dec, Now all of a sudden last 4 days Nausea, Dizzy, Brain Zaps in morning and night, headache (Pressure in front) , Jaw sore. I did have a Head cold last weekend a was taking CHlorpheniramine Maleate (Antihistamine). Which I read has the same properties as a SSRI and is also being looked at for that use. I don't know

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Ahaa!  I wonder if what you took for the head cold could have caused this!  Are you feeling any better today?  If that drug has the same properties as an SSRI, it would stand to reason that it could be the culprit.  Try to ride out the next few days and see how it goes...  that med could have a longer half life which would account for why you are feeling your current symptoms.

Please come back to let us know how you are doing :)

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Nicoli

There is a lot of talk (see Drugs.com, WebMD etc) about CHlorpheniramine Maleate being related to SS serotonin syndrome. At just 3 months off Cymbalta you may still have duloxetine stored in fat cells and there could be an interaction. Just a theory.

Check this out:

CAN CHLORPHENIRAMINE CAUSE SEROTONIN SYNDROME?
Dear Sir,
I read with great interest the recently-published Letter to the Editor by Alisky JM in the Singapore Medical Journal, regarding the possibility of a serotonin syndrome brought about by the use of chlorpheniramine,(1) and I really find the issue very interesting. However, I would like to comment briefly on this report.
Indeed, the so-called “serotonin syndrome” (SS) is a condition of central and peripheral serotonergic hyperstimulation, which is caused by the administration of one or more drugs possessing serotonergic acivity. Moreover, in support of a role in receptor specificity, it has been shown that the symptoms observed in the SS are mediated mainly via stimulation of postsynaptic 5-HT1A and possibly 5-HT2 serotonergic receptors in the central nervous system (CNS).(2,3) In that context, substances possessing 5- HT1A and/or 5-HT2 agonistic properties in the CNS could be incriminated for the production of SS. Accordingly, 8-hydroxy-2- (d-n-propylamino) tetralin (8-OH-DPAT), a selective 5-HT1A receptor agonist, is well established to produce a SS in rats.(4)
As Dr Alisky refers, the antihistamine chlorpheniramine (CPA) was shown to be a strong serotonin reuptake inhibitor, already in studies conducted in the 1960s. However, and most importantly, in a recent work of our laboratory team, it was demonstrated for the first time that CPA is also a postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptor agonist, producing several aspects of the SS in rats, such as hyperlocomotion and hypothermia.(5) In this point of view, being a postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptor agonist, CPA fulfils one of the conditions that are essential for substances to be considered as potentially producing a SS. As such, we believe that Dr Alisky should refer this study in his letter, in order to strengthen his assumption towards an implication of CPA in the production of a SS, in cases of concomitant use of this antihistamine with other serotonin-active medications.
Yours sincerely,
Petros N Karamanakos
Department of Neurosurgery University Hospital of Kuopio Puijonlaaksontie 2
Kuopio SF-70211

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

This Moment, like always, is right on. Diphenhydromine (Benedryl) is also an antihistamine and also can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome.

#7 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

FH, isn't hydroxizine an antihistamine also?

My question is why do we suggest it?

#8 nicoli046

nicoli046

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

But back to my original question , is it heard of that withdrawal symptoms show up 3 months after your last dose. I was on this time for 1 year. On and of for the last 7years. I feel exactly like I did if I missed a pill , Nausea , Dizzy, Headache for last 3 days and my teeth feel like they have been clinching because my jaw muscles are sore/tight feeling. I was on it because Ihave health anxiety. So this is freaking me out. I don't want to run back to meds, I want to learn what I learned in consuling

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

FH, isn't hydroxizine an antihistamine also?

My question is why do we suggest it?

Hydroxyzine is very effective against anxiety. While it is an antihistamine it has not been linked (that I know of) to serotonin syndrome. This is a very good question. I am going to see what I can find and will let you know.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

There is no medical research linking serotonin syndrome to hydroxyzine.

The FDA reports that only .2% of those reporting side effects included serotonin syndrome as a possible side effect.

#11 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Nicoli,

there are reports that symptoms relative to mental health can surface months later, often triggered by an event, suggesting that its not really part of the withdrawal. however, i am not sure about physical symptoms such as the zaps and GI distress. your symptoms sound like possible physical manifestations of anxiety - except for the brain zaps, that's classic SSRI SSNRI withdrawal. if the symptoms are contnuing might be good to talk to your doctor

the first anti depressants were antihistimanes. tricyclics are third generation anti-histamines - there is a realtionship between the presence of histamines and depression. depending on the dose, its possible that the clorpheniramine maleate could be the culprit. 

as for hydroxizine, it is not just prescribed for allergies it is also prescribed to treat anxiety as well as nausea

http://www.drugs.com/hydroxyzine.html

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

Nicoli

"But back to my original question , is it heard of that withdrawal symptoms show up 3 months after your last dose." 

Absolutely. And depending on your length of exposure, short-term discontinuation episodes may show up a year or years later. These meds are relatively new, and there is no data on the long-term effects.

The symptoms generally get weaker and weaker and further and further apart. Having said that, it's also evident that some people are better off on the medication than off. Hang in there.

Take care!

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,899 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

I agree with TFL. If the CHlorpheniramine Maleate you took for your head cold has ssri properties then it certainly could trigger some withdrawal symptoms. And like TFL said, if this is the case it should fade away over the next 2 weeks or so.

#14 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Nicoli,

Just wanted to say that nausea came back for me at around month 5 and lasted a week or two. I remember posting about this.

The jaw soreness, I also experienced, for quite a while also. During the night, it was worse. Look through the archives, you will find that you are not alone going through this.

PS I had not taken any antihistamines at that time. It will get better!

#15 nicoli046

nicoli046

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Gail , What about the Headache with the dizziness. Did you experience that , going on Day 5 now. Not a bad headache , dull pressure in head

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

Gail, is this the post you made and are referring to?

https://www.cymbalta...c/7611-bruxitis

I just read through it, and I added a note that bruxism / bruxitis can be caused by deficiency in magnesium, calcium and/or pantothenic acid (a B vitamin, B5, I think) ... and those supplements can help stop it ...

I also posted some info on yoga exercises for the jaw stuff ... TMJ disorders.. temporomandibular jointdisorders ....

Nicolo, the headache with a sort of vague dizziness is something I had, off and on for quite some time ...

Go easy on yourself... give yourself a lot more time for healing ... it's gradual, oh so gradual ... and little by little these symptoms fade ...

This is all related to your brain, re-learning how to regulate its own serotonin level ... my own way of understanding the particular symptoms on a particular day, or for a particular period of time, is that they change, depending on what parts of the brain ... neurons/pathways/receptors ... are being fixed at that time ....

Hang in there!

#17 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

Fn, yes that is the one.
Another about nausea at 5 month also. Posted on august 2.

Nicoli, no dizziness that I can remember, and can't remember about headaches.

Three or four months is early. It will subside with time.

Fn, just looked up this video that you had posted and that I missed about bruxitis, sinus blocage, very interesting with the accu pressure points. In my favorites, thanks for bringing it back.

#18 nicoli046

nicoli046

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

I was on 90mg for 2 years , 60mg on and off for 6yrs , and 30mg this last year. Just wondering why I didn't get the bad withdrawal symptoms after the last pill, Why 3.5 months later

#19 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Nicoli

Everybody is different regarding when and what withdrawal symptoms will occur. While you're experience is different from most, nobody can explain it. They don't even know exactly how these drugs work, and there is no long-term prognosis for those of us that were exposed.

We are all on solo journeys, whispering to each other across the void of cyberspace. But your brain will self-repair to a point of equilibrium and you will carry on! It takes an unknown amount of time, but conditions continue to improve!

Take care.

#20 nicoli046

nicoli046

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

No what I saying is I experience mild Withdrawal symptoms at first after tappering and they went away, but now totally 3.5 months off , the with symptoms seem worse

#21 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

Yes I understand what you are saying about the 3.5 month gap. I'm saying there is no definite, established pattern. But yes, your case is not the 'norm'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users