Photo

Cold Turkey For A Week (60Mg For Fm And Anxiety)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

I have been withdrawing – cold turkey – for eight days now. THIS HAS NOT BEEN FUN. I found four capsules in my suitcase this morning. I’m not sure if I should take any of the Cymbalta or not. I don’t like the fibromyalgia pain I’m in, but I don’t want to ever have to withdraw like this again. I like that I have more desire to do things now. It seems that Cymbalta not only numbed my pain, but my enthusiasm.

I have had a diagnosis of fibromyalgia since 1994. I have taken my self-care very seriously and five years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I made a mistake and pushed myself from running 5 to 10 k to training for -- and running, successfully -- a (very slow) half marathon. After, chronic pain put me in bed and threatened to keep me from exercising at all, so I turned to medication for the first time. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta or Lyrica. My insurance company required I try Cymbalta before taking Lyrica. Cymbalta worked for the pain.

I have been on Cymbalta for five years.

I took 30mg of Cymbalta daily at bedtime for two years. I was able to run short distances again, but I didn’t really want to. Was “Idontwanna” a side effect of Cymbalta or was it just me? When I started the medication I had the side effect of headaches -- which the pharmacist insisted was not a side effect -- and hearing voices on occasion, like my husband's blood curdling scream from the other side of the grocery store. I knew the screams were not real, but they were still startling. After a few months these side effects went away. My experience with Cymbalta for pain was good.

It dulled my pain to a manageable level, helped me sleep, and generally made me feel like I'd been drinking red wine which is always a good thing in my books

Three years ago my family and I went through a crisis. Dad and my teenaged daughter were both hospitalized with serious illnesses, Dad three hours away, Daughter six hours away. My self-care for fibromyalgia went out the window. I was sedentary in cars and hospital rooms, eating poorly, and I became anxious. My doctor increased my dose of the Cymbalta to 60mg at bedtime instead of adding different medications.

If I missed my medication I had a terrible headache.

I've recently been diagnosed with migraines.

At my doctor's appointment one week ago he did not renew my prescription for Cymbalta and I didn’t know this until I got to the pharmacy. I do not know if this was an error or if he intended to change my treatment for my fibromyalgia and migraines. (My doctor is terrible. He doesn’t talk to me, he won’t answer my questions, he simply says, “see you next month.” I’m Canadian. Finding a new GP is darned near impossible here.) When I realized I had no more Cymbalta I asked the pharmacist to give me enough to wean. Here they are legally allowed to do that, but she would not override his prescription and left him a message instead. He didn't reply to the message. I began terrible cold turkey symptoms and came here last week to educate myself and decide what to do next.

COLD TURKEY:

Day One – headache

Day Two - I have a brutal withdrawal headache, my feet and legs hurt so bad it is hard to walk, and I'm really dizzy like I'm drunk. I almost fell in the shower this morning. I knew this would happen. I’m very moody... like I'm pregnant. Everything makes me well up with tears, which is not appropriate at work.

The timing to go off of Cymbalta is bad. We are having chinook winds; my migraine headaches act up when the wind blows. My daughter  moved seven hours away on the weekend and my best friend moved to Texas on Monday. It is going to be very hard for me to tell the docs if my symptoms are from fibromyalgia, withdrawal, migraine, or situational moodiness. This is just bad science.

Laying down to watch my favourite tv show and drink a beer makes me feel better.

Day Three - I'm mostly withdrawn.  I'm still dizzy but the sudden wave of fibromyalgia pain and sadness has subsided, thank goodness. I actually felt really good getting out of bed this morning.

The brain snaps are my worst symptom.

I am ravenously hungry. Instead of eating one pudding cup, I inhaled all four in the pack. Emotional eating is not unfamiliar to me and my daughter has an eating disorder, so I come by this honestly but this is nuts.

Day Four – I’m still ravenously hungry. I bought a four pack of pastries at the bakery. I would have shoved all four in my face but my husband yelled at me after three. I’m in a lot body pain.

Day Five – Pushing through pain and doing housework (climbing the stairs to the laundry room in the basement, sweeping and moping, wiping bathrooms) really helps my pain. If I tire myself out with gentle exercise like this, I can lay down and feel good physically. Despite the pain and withdrawal symptoms, I seem to have more desire to do things now.

The anxiety is bad.

I’ve gone from drinking one beer a day to having two to help with pain and anxiety.

Day Seven – My dizziness is 70% gone; I’m ok if I don’t move quickly or move my eyes quickly. The brain snaps are still here. I did not drink any beer today.

Day Eight – The brain snaps are all but gone. I’m only moody when I watch something on tv or the net that sets me off like a commercial.My hunger has normalized. I'm hungry now. I won't binge on sweets.

I found four 30 mg capsules. Should I take a few beads to help with the little bit of brain snaps, dizziness and moodiness or do I just finish detoxing?

Edited by NotLily, 22 January 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hi NotLily

Cold turkey is a bitch, and all of your symptoms are normal. You're not crazy and you're not going crazy, but you might feel crazy. 

I think the doctor just goofed-- an oversight; only a psychopath would just chop the prescription.

Don't eat any of those capsules you found before considering your options, and what you would really like to do (do you want to be off the drugs or do you feel you need them for fibromyalgia etc?).

If things are levelling off, you might consider staying cold turkey until it's done. You might need something like a benzodiazepine for anxiety to be used on an as-needed basis (they are addictive too if used daily). OR you could re-instate on the Cymbalta when the doctor realizes his/her mistake, get stable over a few weeks and plan to wean off slowly-- and less painfully.

What are your thoughts?

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

NotLily.

welcome to the forum. no one wants to be in the position of needing this forum, but its a great place for those of us who have been through or are going through withdrawal. does it ever end? it fades. 

i took it, and previous anti-d's for depression. the C for the past 10 years, sum total on all meds 18 years. i've been totally anti-d free since mid may and while i never had fibro before and during cymbalta - i have all the classic symptoms ever since - however - i know they are not near as bad as folks with an official diagnosis.

for me, anxiety is the beast to tame. i am envious of your two beers treatment. while on cymbalta i drank like a fish - it has that effect on many - compelled to binge most every night. since quitting i barely touch the stuff. makes my anxiety worse. i have to be feeling real good to enjoy a brew, which is frustrating. i am a huge beer snob - totally into micro brews and craft beer. big on wine too, can't afford to be a snob, but enjoy a good mid priced cab or zin. 

i went a quasi cold turkey. initially at 90 for years, dropped to 60 with no ill effects. a year later dropped to 30, same, no problems.  dropped from 30 to 15 by splitting the caps. then did the big no no, alternated days taking 15 for less than a week, then jumped off the cliff. didn't look that high at the time - but it was very rough. all hell broke loose with physical and mental anguish. physical was bad but i'd take it over the anxiey any day i don't recommend cold turkey, but you were only on the stuff for 2 years, so YMMV. age makes a difference with recovery also. i was 54 when i quit. "they" say its harder on folks over 45-50. 

at 8 days off, can't advise, but it sounds like you don't have much choice. sorry to hear about the screwy doctor. i don't understand your health systen to know if you can get another 

best of luck

brz

#4 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:57 AM

Thank you for the welcome. :)

brz, I was on Cymbalta for five years. I am 46. Its interesting to me that you have fibromyalgia symptoms after taking the drug for another reason. I really hope the body pain subsides for both of us. I honestly forgot how bad it was; it did help me with the pain. That said, exercise helps with my pain, too, and so I'm going back to that (she writes from the sofa, while staring at the brand new treadmill in the corner of the room).

God-like, I don't know if I need Cymbalta for anxiety anymore. My mood was situational. I'm certainly feeling more depression symptoms now, but that could be from weaning or the fact that my two besties moved away a week ago.

What do I want to do?

I want to see if I can manage my pain without the Cymbalta. I don't plan on running another half marathon, after all; I learned my lesson.

I also want to see if being off Cymbalta gives me more drive to be active.

In the meantime, I need to research alternatives for both the anxiety/depression and the pain.

#5 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

NotLily,

yes the fibro like pains upon withdrawal are not uncommon for those who took the C for depression not pain. conversely, those who took it for pain all of a sudden develop the mental hell they never experienced prior to the C. real evidence that withdrawal symptoms are not the depression and anxiety coming back like many doctors and the manufacturers claim. however,many don't want to accept the reality that long term anti-d does have a negative impact on the brain. personally, i don't think its "permanent" for most folks. it fades. however, the symptoms are cyclic so when you think you've got it licked, here it comes again! but they don't last even though it seems they might. and of course, its harder to cope with stress which in turn triggers the withdrawal symptoms that have faded. the holidays did that to me big time, as well as my recent job search. i am still having to re-learn the cognitive skills i developed in therapy - challenging my irrational thought patterns and practicing "mindfulness". that's what helps me manage the stress, and in turn the anxiety, and in turn the depression. as for the fibro-like pain, since that wasn't a pre-c condition its not as bad as "real" fibro sufferers, so there's good ol' advil and tylenol, but that only goes so far. exercise helps with the pain and the anxiety. exercise that requires mental engagement like biking in traffic is the best. the more mundane, like mowing the lawn or walking, allows me to think too much, mull over stuff, which turns into the circular thinking and rumination that leads to negative thinking.  i can't run anymore, arthritic knees and toes ended that for me about 15 years ago. 

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

NL

After 9 days are you going to stay cold turkey?

#7 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

Day 9 - Today I do not feel the need to take any Cymbalta. I will stay cold turkey.

I did drink a beer last night, but it was because I wanted one, not that I felt the need to self medicate. There were a lot of sweets in the house, too -- Hubby brought many Christmas leftovers out of the freezer -- but I didn't binge. That said, I don't quite have the mental strength yet to avoid the food. Five years ago I would have made myself a salad. Yesterday I ate cupcakes.

Walking on the treadmill helps the brain snaps and anxiety feelings. I hold on tight because I do get dizzy occasionally.

brz, I don't believe that your pain is any less "real" than anyone else's. For a long time I believed my fibro wasn't that bad because I work full-time and I was able to exercise. My chiropractor, massage therapist and acupuncturist have all told me otherwise. They say I have one of the most painful responses to touch they have seen. I suppose perspective is everything. I choose to believe I'm "not that bad." So, brz, you have my empathy. Your pain is as good or as bad as you believe it is. Just don't ever believe you don't deserve empathy or therapy because you don't have "real" FM. I'm sorry you still have pain. :(

#8 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hey NotLily

Good for you to exercise your way through the pain. I was on Cymbalta for pain as well and that was the only thing that helped. That pain did lessen after I had been off for awhile so your pain levels should go down as you go along.

I'm Canadian too so I know what you mean about trying to find a new doctor, I live on a farm in SK and with only one doc per small town it is hard to find a new one that isn't already overloaded or that believes in FM. Lyrica worked great for my pain but it did have the unfortunate side effect that the longer I was on it the worse my short term memory got. I did take amitriptyline for 16 years until it pooped out on me. Sure wish that wouldn't have happened as it was one of the few drugs that I didn't have side effects that caused me problems.

Hang in there and take care of you

#9 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

Nancy, thanks for mentioning Amytriptaline. I took that for only a few months when I was first diagnosed. I was on a very low dose but went off of it entirely when my son was conceived two years ahead of plan. I should research that drug.

By the way, I enjoyed remission of FM pain when I was pregnant. I really struggled to recover after giving birth though.

#10 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Day 19 - Pain is unbearable and I am capable of very little exercise, barely even a little bit of housework.

I'm really *itchy and can't stand to have anyone near me for fear of being touched. Even movement around me and some noises or voices make me jumpy. I don't think going without meds is going to work for me. I was in tears because it hurt so bad yesterday and now I'm just cranky at the world. I hear myself saying things I  know I shouldn't. This is not good.

I'd like to know what my pain management choices are and have some things to discuss with my doc before my appointment on February 10. I only get five minutes with him so I'm doing some research and I'll talk to a pharmacist or two, also.
These are some of the drugs I've seen listed for fibromyalgia. I need to learn more.

Lyrica
Neurontin
Ativan
Savella
Ultram
Ultracet
Xyrem

Anxiety isn't an issue for me regularly; it was situational, so I think that changes what I should and should not take for pain long term

I need something to get me over the hump. I've got Motrin , aspirin and naproxin. I find the Motrin (ibuprofin) helps, but I can alternate the OTC drugs if its safer. I should talk to a pharmacist.

I might try something like holy basil or turmeric pills and comfrey ointment or something like that.

Too bad we don't have a Chinatown pharmacist/herbalist here.

Can someone point me to a good site to research my medication options?

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

I am very familiar with the first three meds.

Lyrica - Moderate success rate with fibro. Very addictive with a bad withdrawal.

Neurontin - Not used in my area anymore since it has been linked to pancreatic cancer. Effectiveness for fibro was very hit and miss anyway.

Ativan - This is the brand name for lorazepam, the most addictive of the benzos. Withdrawal can take 12 to 18 months. The manufacturer recommends not to take this drug for more than 4 months as your body builds up resistance to it and the dose must be increased in order to maintain the benefit. In addition, it is NOT a pain killer but a very strong anti-anxiety drug. At higher doses acts like an anaesthetic. You are very mellow, apathetic and drowsy.

In addition I will look up the most recent success rates for each of these drugs and will post later.

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

NL,

I am very familiar with Lyrica - I was taking it at the same time as the C.  I cold turkey'd off of both a little over a year ago and the withdrawal was hell!

I took Hydrocodone during the past year for the fibro pain and have now been able to cut that in half due to the wonderful find of a natural supplement mentioned by another of our members!  CuraMed is 750mg natural Turmeric and Curcumin (ordered from Amazon) and is a wonderful anti-inflammatory.  I am only taking 1/2 of my Hydrocodone tablet now - I am just thrilled, as this really helps!!  I also have arthritis and that, too, is so much better...

You might like to give this a try since it is natural.  Good luck and please keep us posted! 

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

NL,

Our names are in the blue banner above the avatar....that was fishinghat that was so (as usual) helpful beyond description!

#14 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:19 PM

I am very familiar with Lyrica - I was taking it at the same time as the C

I'm curious. Why would Lyrica be taken with Cymbalta? I thought it was one or the other. My insurance company wouldn't let me try Lyrica until I'd been on Cymbalta first.

#15 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Sorry, I can't answer that...

My PCP at the time prescribed it and I never asked questions - just took what he gave me...

He may have had me on the C. first - don't remember, as that was at least 5 years ago now, and my memory is shot! :unsure:

#16 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

NL

Here is the interactions between Lyrica and Cymbalta. They are sometimes prescribed together, with the pregabalin used as an anti-convulsive.

The interactive warning is MODERATE between these two drugs. See drugs.com

duloxetine ↔ pregabalin

Applies to: duloxetine, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using DULoxetine together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

More in-depth information may be found at drugs.com

Lyrica was the first med to be prescribed for fibromyalgia, whose cause is unknown. Only 35-40% of fibromyalgia patients respond to treatment.

NOTE: It is not unheard of for a subset of Cymbalta discontinuation symptoms to be diagnosed as Fibromyalgia.

#17 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:36 PM

Fishinghat, you ARE god-like. Thank you. :D

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

Actually NotLily, that was ThisMoment.  Not that I mind being compared to him. He has been around a long time and has a wealth of knowledge.

As Tfl said  "Our names are in the blue banner above the avatar.".  Don't worry about it though. I have certainly been called a lot worse than 'god-like'. lol

#19 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Did I mention that my doctor is useless? His exact words to me this afternoon were, drug pad in hand, "what do you want to take?" His not counsel or advising me in any way. Its a good thing I visited with a pharmacist at lunchtime and called a second one on my afternoon break.

I'm back on Cymbalta. I hope 30mg makes me feel better soon. I assume that I don't need 60mg after two weeks of withdrawal. Then I will buy some gel capsules and count beads until my pain is regulated with the minimum dose required. I will experiment with OTC meds for breakthrough pain, so far Motrin has my vote.

I'm sorry to everyone I've called the wrong username. I'm surprised I know my own name today, its Not Lily. :P

#20 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

NL

I hope your re-instatement goes well. You will surely start to feel the change within a few days. Please keep us posted. Take care.

#21 NotLily

NotLily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

My withdrawal symptoms were definitely alleviated by taking 30mg. Within a day I felt better. In a few days my pain was cut in half.

My doc says he recommends Tylenol for longterm breakthrough pain because its not as hard on the stomach and other organs as ibuprofin. I've been using Motrin, naproxin, and aspirin -- whatever is handiest -- because I have them, but no Tylenol.

My pain is distracting. I'm on my monthly cycle now; I don't know if its a coincidence or not but I woke in the night with pain that I can't differentiate from menstrual pain and fibromyalgia. I have not done a good job of managing my over-the-counter meds, hot baths, massages, exercise, etc. for pain control. Work and home have both been very busy and I've sacrificed getting myself onto a routine.

I met with a new doc two weeks ago. I should go see what she has to say about where I'm at. She's newly in Canada from Romania. I wonder what she may recommend.

#22 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

See Discontinuation and Recurrent Pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users