• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 renee

renee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am withdrawing from Cymbalta. I needed some help.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

Is anyone losing weight now that they are off of the Cymbalta?

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Erm, not quite a straightforward answer from me.

I lost weight when I went ON Cymbalta, mainly due to the fact that I had stacked on 10kg on Lexapro. (I WAS actually Eating All Of The Pies - Lexapro made me unnaturally hungry.)

Apparently virtually everyone who goes on to an antidepressant either gains or loses weight, and there's no consistent pattern with any of the brands.

I guess a lot of that depends on what the initial depression has done to your weight, because you've got THAT effect, then the effect of not being depressed on your weight combined with the side effects of the drug, and then you've got the no depression, no drug state.

No wonder there's no consistency in the consequences.

Maureen.

p.s. hope you WAN"T to lose weight

#3 renee

renee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am withdrawing from Cymbalta. I needed some help.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:48 AM

Good answer.
Thanks.
Renee

#4 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

If you really look at lots of the reports, and what others have said you will find that
most have gained about 30-35 lbs on this drug.

I am on day 13 of coming off this terrible crap, and already I have gotten into one of
my smaller pair of pants.

I am not hungry at this time, but I was not hungry when I was omn it either.

Some of the Psych drugs, and especially the MAO'S will cause you to just put on weight
and they do not know why.

Good luck on dropping those pounds, you will!

Debbie

#5 bossluv

bossluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm going off cymbalta and am experiencing many of the same things as other posters.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

While on cymbalta it helped me become more active, so I've lost about 60lbs in a year, but now that I'm going off, I can't really say. Hope I can still stay motivated.

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi bossluv,

My weight started dropping as soon as I started taking Cymbalta, but it's a complicated issue - depends on where you're at and why you're taking the drug in the first place.

I was underweight when starting with Lexapro a year ago, put on 10kg in three months and stayed there, then started dropping once changing to Cymbalta several months ago.

My weight loss STOPPED once I started cutting down on Cymbalta because I ended up depressed again - sitting around doing nothing for a few weeks; but that has now passed so hopefully I can ditch the rest of the weight.

Maureen.

#7 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

Hi Everyone,
I am more like what I have read, and gained 30 pounds on Cymbalta, not lost weight on it.
Nor did it ever make me hyper.

They call it "The Slug Drug" and that's what it did for me. I couldn't do anything at all. I couldn't, or should say had no motivation at all, all I did was get up in the am drink my coffe, answer my e-mails on good days, go to my AA meetings then come home, and lay down.

I wouldn't clean the house, do the laundry, take out the trash, or even take care of myself.
I was not living just existing.

I am losing weight now that I have been just cutting down on the Cymbalta from 60 mg to 40 mg since Aug 31. I have so much more energy, and just love it.

We are all different, so meds will affect us all differently.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users