Photo

Does Being On Antibiotics Exacerbate Withdrawal Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 laurazim

laurazim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

I just made the connection.  My tapering has been going BEAUTIFULLY--until last night.  By last night, I'd been on antibiotics for 24 hours...and I'm wondering if the two are mingling and doing bad things.

I'm down to 117 beads in each capsule.  Just last night I had one, maybe two brain zaps.  Today, I've had more...increasingly more.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

I'm cross-posting, so if anyone here is in the facebook group called "Cymbalta Hurts Worse," this is why.  :)

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hi again Laura!

So happy things were going well - until now...

I have no experience with antibiotics while getting off this crap, but hope that someone will hop on here with some info for you!  Just wanted to let you know that I offer my support and hope that this is a minor bump in the process.

I wish you well - we're rooting for you! :)

#3 Pups4Life

Pups4Life

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

I'm sooo sorry to hear that you're struggling, L.  I've been off Cymbalta for 7 weeks and a couple of weeks ago I thought things were shifting until BANG...the anxiety that WAS dissipating went through the roof and brought along it's evil nemesis depression.  I'm hardly functioning right now.  Your post just made me realize that I started to feel worse when I, too, went on antibiotics!!  And looking back, I got worse twice in the past 7 weeks...both times I was on antibiotics!  From what I've read, serotonin is made in the gut and there is such a connection between gut and brain health.  Antibiotics destroy the good bacteria in the gut.  Over the past several months I've been circulating through a bunch of different probiotics...unfortunately, all my good work came undone with antibiotics.  I'm back on probiotics and would encourage you to give it a shot.  Sending prayers, peace and hope your way that your withdrawal is smooth and painless!!

#4 laurazim

laurazim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

Oh thank God!!  I mean, not that I'm happy that others are suffering this way too, but you know--that "I'm not crazy, it's not just me!!!" feeling!!!

Ok.  I will add beads to the capsules remaining and take a break from tapering until I can get my gut rebalanced.  THANK YOU so much for your feedback!!!

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hi Laura

Stop reducing the Cymbalta or go back up a few beads for a week or so and the zaps should settle down. Don't worry. Finish the antibiotics as per the prescription. 

#6 laurazim

laurazim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

Thanks so much.  That's just precisely what I'm going to do.  It's so good to have people here who are experienced.  My husband is so faithfully supportive, but he just doesn't know, you know?  It's good to be among folks who *get it*.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

I have never read anything on antibiotic making withdrawal worse BUT there is one antibiotic that should never be taken by people suffering anxiety as it has been linked to severe panic attacks. The manufacturer even has warnings about it on their literature. The antibiotic is clindamycin.

#8 kwannop

kwannop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

Hi,My name is Tan. I knew how cold turkey symptoms feel like and it's pretty bad  :wacko:  I ask my psychiatrist how can I withdraw cymbalta fast without the withdrawal effect ? My doctor prescribe me prozac 20 mg. While I was developing prozac in my blood I tapered cymbalta by 1 % till around 40 mg ( I was on 60 ) then I tried to tapered to 30 mg  (around 10 mg in one day) and It went well( a bit nausea dizziness but can handle it). Last week, I was prescribed Ritalin 5 mg in morning 5 mg in evening (methylphenidate drug for treating ADHD) and I got my wisdom tooth removed so I have to take Ibruprofen(NSAIDs for pains) and antibiotics. My doctor told me to tapered 1/14 of 30 mg(I count my beads it's around 280 so I took it 20 each day) and it should be fine. I was tapering  and went very well. But I want to try it faster, in 4th March,my tapering rate increase to 40 beads per day). Today I took 40 beads and tomorrow I won't take any !! So far I haven't got any serious withdrawal yet.

Conclusion: I only took 9 days to went from 30 mg to 0 mg 

This is my experience. It may be vary to difference person. You should consult your doctor before adding meds .

Wish you luck ! Hope for the best ! 

ps. Sorry for my bad writing, please ask if you are confused ;)

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

Welcome Kwannop

Many have success with cross tapering. Cross tapering is where you taper off an ssri or snri while tapering onto another one. Many from here have wanted to get off these drugs so bad (do to their dangerous side effects and poor quality of life) that they did not cross taper hoping to become drug free. Some had such a bad withdrawal it proved necessary to go back on an ssri like prozac, zoloft or lexapro to get relief.

#10 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Tan,

Congratulations on getting off this horrible drug!  You have done extremely well - I'm sure that the cross tapering as well as your young age had a lot to do with it!

I hope that you will continue to do well!  We're all rooting for you!

Liz

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

Tan

Good work. Should some small waves of withdrawal appear from time to time-- just accept it and keep moving forward. Don't look back; these waves will diminish and fade.

You are entering your new life-- go boldly!

#12 kwannop

kwannop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

I felt kind of depression after I took anti-vertigo drug. No retreat. Thanks for all your support :))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users