3 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

Any tips for when withdrawal causes lack of sleep? I have 2 medications to help with sleep/anxiety (Klonopin and Hydroxyzine) but I want to use the Klonopin sparingly, and the Hydroxyzine has caused varied effects. 

How common are sleep issues while going through withdrawals? Have you been through this?

Even when I'm tired, my brain can't seem to switch over to "sleep mode." 

My plan is to try to take the Hydroxyzine more than the Klonopin...But meanwhile, I wondered if anyone had tips or advice regarding sleep while experiencing withdrawals.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

I don't know what dose of hydroxyzine you are on but 50 mg is the minimum dose to initiate sleep.

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

Ah! Ok. My other psych had me on 25 mg. The new psych said to take 50 mg. 

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Ramona80

One of the most difficult things for humans is to silence that internal voice-- the one that keeps nattering when we're trying to get to sleep. The content of its conversation is never helpful: it admonishes us for petty crimes, like forgetting to take the clothes out of the washer; it reviews past transgressions and suggests how we should have behaved differently; it criticizes us at a fundamental level and burdens our minds with unsolvable problems and embarrassing interpersonal encounters!

One of the most difficult issues we encounter when getting off these drugs is how to get enough sleep-- at the appropriate times. 

I found an intense desire to want to nap in the morning-through-noon. That left me wide awake at 2 in the morning. For me, the struggle was to fight through the powerful desire to just fall over at 9 A.M. and wake up for lunch. Here's where a personal trainer would be a great help; I think there's a place for personal trainers in withdrawal from psychiatric drugs.

I spent a few months listening to guided Mindfulness Meditation sessions at bedtime, and found it useful for winding down and falling asleep. You can find them on YouTube, on CD's, and elsewhere on the net.

None of this is foolproof. But getting prepared for sleep is worth considering, and therefore you have to arrive tired and wound-down at your bed at the appropriate time.

Consider the following: Try not to nap during the day; keep moderately busy -- not marathon activities because that releases adrenaline and you'll be awake all night; avoid eating anything or drinking alcohol 4 hours before going to bed; take a warm shower rather than a hot bath; wind down a couple of hours before retiring by avoiding bright TV or computer screens-- rather, read something; consider running a fan in your bedroom to provide 'white' or ambient sound; keep the bedding on the light side-- it's better to be a little cool than too warm; you might want to sleep alone for a while if your unpredictable sleeping habits disturb others and that thought disturbs you-- be free to move around and get comfortable.

Take care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users