3 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

If I could describe the withdrawal anxiety I feel, I'd say it's something like this: 

It's like having anxiety goggles on, that color everything I'm looking at in my surroundings. Everything seems tinted, darker, sinister, threatening, even nightmarish. (Is this derealization, or just part of the anxiety?)

Everything in my surroundings is colored by this, so everything seems to hold this "threat". Everything around me reminds me of it, because it's what I've been looking at while feeling this way. Does that make sense?

There's a general feeling of dread I have that has been infused into my surroundings. There's a feeling of impending doom.

I do alternate between taking Klonopin and Vistaril (more of the Vistaril). Just wanted to write this out and see if others understand this feeling. Would anyone else here say that they have experienced anxiety in this way?

I've been reading from many sources that to get past the anxiety you need to learn to accept it, as odd as that might sound. That you need to accept that you're in a situation beyond your control, but that you have control of how you react to it. And that over time, that diffuses the anxiety. 

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

hi there,

yes. you are not alone. anxiety can color everything.

additionally, you said: "I've been reading from many sources that to get past the anxiety you need to learn to accept it, as odd as that might sound. That you need to accept that you're in a situation beyond your control, but that you have control of how you react to it. And that over time, that diffuses the anxiety. "

​that is my experience as well. i use the analogy that i have a staring contest with anxiety. if we stare at each other long enough, the anxiety blinks and looks away

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Can you elaborate on that? How exactly do you stare it down?

I've been trying to go about my daily activities despite this feeling of darkness and doom everywhere. 

My home has always been my safe haven, the place I feel the most secure. But now, it's like big, looming dark clouds of doom are in every corner. Even the furniture and items around me seem infused with the sense of impending doom.

I've been going to a neighbor's church in the mornings and helping there, and taking part in activities so I am around other people and getting out of the house, btw. 

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

I stare it down by literally focusing on it. the more i focus on the anxiety it becomes less significant. its somewhat of an acclimation. plus it gets boring ;-)

it takes practice, just like mindfulness and the other classic strategies - all of which are helpful.

social activities are essential for me. i am glad to hear that seems to work for you too. isolation increases my anxiety. other activities that can keep my mind occupied - preferably physical like housekeeping, yard work or exercise - also help immensely. however, anxiety is a daily struggle for me sometimes - especially when work stress from my job hits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users