10 replies to this topic

#1 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

Some of my withdrawal symptoms have not varied at all.

For the past 2 months these have been constant:

- toss and turn & can't fall asleep for a long time, even if I'm very tired

- wake too early (anywhere from 3am to 5am)

- shaky when I wake up

- digestive system in overdrive, moves too quickly

- very little appetite

- sweating (hands and feet)

These haven't worsened or improved, they're just present every day. I'm concerned about them not going in "waves & windows." If it's withdrawal, shouldn't it be varying?

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hi Ramona

The withdrawal symptoms were full-on and steady for at least two months after my last dose. When the symptoms began to wane after a few months, some symptoms would come and go-- some days a given symptom would be strong and some days it would be weak. Up and down, in and out-- wave-like.

After 6 months there was considerable improvement. Even after a year I'd get a day or two of a familiar symptom, and then it would disappear as mysteriously as it arose-- a broad wave-like action (comes and goes).

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Take care.

#3 Ramona80

Ramona80

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

I can't believe how messed up I got just from lowering from 60 to 40 mg for one day, and then being at 50 mg for a month. I think I reinstated too late. Even though I've only gone 5 weeks since reinstatement (and I know it can take longer than that), my doctor thinks I would be showing some signs of improvement at this point if it was going to be successful. 

I can't really wrap my head around hearing that this might go on for months or years, when I'm even back on my full original dose. 

Some things have varied, by the way. Sometimes I have muscle twitches/jerks, but some days I don't. My anxiety level varies. Some days, anxiety all day, other days not much. Some days high anxiety, some days low anxiety. Sometimes painful, stiff thighs, sometimes it's just suddenly gone for days. I'll go for a period of days where I have no stamina to do anything physical, and then all of a suddenly my body feels fine for a few days. 

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

Ramona

Yes, that's precisely the kind of waning and waxing action of symptoms that people call 'wave action'; you describe it well.

There's no way to know what's causing what-- you are really in a trial-and-error program right now, and surely after 6 weeks if there's been no improvement, your physician will try something else. Your doctor is thinking those thoughts, and he/she will likely suggest some alternative soon. But it's really a wait-and-see kind of thing-- sometimes a serotonin med will pick you up fairly quickly (in a week or two), but a lot of times it takes 4-6 weeks to feel meaningful improvement. 

As I've said before, the anxiety is the first priority because it affects all mind states. Do your best (with the help of your doctor) to knock the anxiety down.

Take care.

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Ramona,

I'm sorry to report that I have been off for almost 17months now and some symptoms occasionally reappear.The worst are IBS and fits of extreme anger and crying fits.

My son went with me to the Dr. last week and we all had quite a chat as to what I could do.  I have finally realized that the Alprazolam has actually pooped out after all of this time and the Dr. advised me to keep taking it while I begin taking Bupropion100mg twice a day.  She wants to see me again the end of June to see how I am doing with this.  I  never thought I would do this but I told her that I cannot keep living like this.  She knows how I feel about meds.

I am so tired of crying so often and my son felt that I should be taking something as he is aware of  how things have been for me.

TM, I apparently don't have your strength (sigh) but I agree - the quality of life is what matters, and I feel that I have none.  I feel that I have given in to this horrible drug withdrawal and perhaps it is my age, but I give up.  I will do what I have to.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Wise dr to have you go on the brupropion before the benzo withdrawal. When it comes time to come off the benzo let me know. I think I can help you with that.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hello Liz

None of us can know all the details of the personal history that caused us to land where we landed. But I do know that when my life's role was clearly defined by inescapable external events, it seemed simple to create quality in that life because there was meaning: like when the kids were at home. 

Something profound happens when that job suddenly stops: the event ends when they leave; we become redundant in a sense, superfluous; meaning vaporizes; and quality of life slowly fades away.

One of the things I always knew-- but didn't hit me until late in life-- was this: it's our responsibility to assign meaning to our own lives-- and that meaning gives us purpose whose pursuit yields quality. The children brought that meaning without us even having to think about it-- and purpose and quality followed; we were fulfilled. But now that they're gone it's up to us to re-define the meaning of life-- and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do; it's what led me to antidepressants. 

My life was about them. They thank me and they love me, but I know they don't need me. The best way to make them happy as adults is for me to flourish in their eyes . . . but how to flourish in a universe that exists without purpose, in a world without inherent meaning. 

How shall I define the time that is remaining to me?

It's the hardest thing I know. It's something everyone will encounter. There are no answers in this post-- it's just a conversation-starter.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

With me, I cannot envision a life without hope or purpose because I have God in my life.

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

FH

I'm happy you're happy with your god.

My kind of god would be more like Cosmic Muffin than Harry Thunderer!

Religious software was never uploaded to my brain as a child because I was raised in a secular home. I simply can't imagine what it would be like; thoughts of the supernatural rarely enter my mind.

I do not criticize the believer, but it's just not for me.

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

I understand TM. No disrespect was intended. Each has to make their own choice in the matter. It was just another view to share.

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

FH

Absolutely! You and I are on the same page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users