Wichita Lineman
Dreams of the Everyday Housewife
Galveston
Rhinestone Cowboy
Try a Little Tenderness
Southern Nights
Ghost in the Canvas
I'm Not Gonna Miss You

Glen Campbell was a sublimely gifted musician to say the least. He played many instruments including guitars, piano, bagpipes, banjo, and fiddle. Glen sang with a naturally clear and soulful voice. He enjoyed the musical gifts of perfect pitch and perfect timing, which seem like magic to us musical mortals!

He was on SSRIs (Escitalopram-- Lexapro/Cipralex) for years, and often mixed pharmaceutical neurotoxins with street neurotoxins like alcohol, cocaine, and others. The combination of SSRIs and alcohol landed him in police custody for a time.

Alzheimer's came on fast with Glen and after the diagnosis in 2011, he began the farewell tour that became the PBS show 'I'll Be Me'. By 2014 Glen's Alzheimer's had rapidly progressed to the late stages; currently he is under 24/7 care and monitoring in a Special Care Facility in Nashville.

He can no longer speak or recognize his children.

You made my life better; thank you Glen Campbell.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

I read an article about him late last year ... Alzheimer's simply wipes the slate of the mind clean ... a man I knew died of it early this year .. age 95 (a resident of the same nursing home where a very elderly friend of mine lives) ... he'd been a world-renowned scholar, the acknowledged authority on Galileo, and during the last years of his life he remembered only his name, and recognized the face of just one friend, whom he'd know for 30+ years ... not her name, just her face ...

Thank you for posting this, TM ... Glen Campbell will, like the gentleman I knew, live on in the gifts of themselves they gave to us, to the world ... those songs sure do bring back sweet memories ...

May we all leave behind some gift of ourselves to those we love ...

Tears in my eyes as I write ...

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

i wandered by today and saw this thread. wichita lineman is one of the best songs i've ever heard. i never tire of it.

as for this hideous disease, i read this story several years ago and it broke my heart. i don't care about ronald reagan's politics. but this sums up what a tragedy alzheimer's is:

"I think the single most shattering story I heard about him was the fact that a friend put a white ceramic model of the White House into this fish tank that he had in his office. And he took it home in his fist," adds Morris. "And when Nancy pried his fingers open and said, 'What's that, Ronnie?' And there's this little, wet White House in his hand. He said, 'I don't know, but I think it's something to do with me.'" -biographer Edmund Morris

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

TM, yes thank you for posting this. I happen to have watched his mini documentary series on CNN it was absolutely heartbreaking.  He was so gifted and put up such a strong fight. Having filmed his decreasing memory and televising his fight to the near end was a brave move. This brought much highlight to the devastating disease.  This was very close to home for me as my mother went through Dementia a few years back which brought her to heaven.  Much more needs to be done to get this disease to stop.  

Once again, thank you TM for bringing this forward to all of us.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users