Photo

Sleepiness Increasing As Dose Decreases?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

I have weaned slowly from 30 mg to 15 mg in 4 months but have been feeling more sleepy and lethargic as dose drops. I had been gaining alertness and energy until a few weeks ago. I wonder if the lowering dose is causing more harm and dragging me down?

I have so many things I want to be doing but haven't the strength to do them. It would be comforting to hear from anyone who has shared this experience.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hi and Welcome Sleepyhead!

I know that I also experienced terrible sleepiness and lethargy but then I went cold turkey off of 60mg 18months ago.  I know many here have suffered this need for sleep and you need all the rest you can get while coming off this poison.  Sleep whenever you can and drink lots of water.

This will fade in time but how long it will take I can't say.  Just remember to be kind to yourself and listen to your body.  I know it is really a pain, but unfortunately this is all part of the withdrawal.

Please keep us posted and let us know if we can help in any way!

Liz

#3 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for your reply. I keep resisting the sleep and try to push to be active but thw tiredness always wins. I will remind myself that sleep is alright and just go with it. I just wish this didn't need to take so long. This poison has already stolen too much of my life!

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

Sleepyhead

Hi and welcome!

Yes, the lethargy and sleepiness can surely be part of withdrawal, and it happened to me too! 

Obviously your slow-weaning is working, and if this is your only symptom, you are doing very well! I've always thought a Withdrawal Coach would be a good idea, and here is where it would really work: you'll find that once you get moving you will do fine-- it's just the getting off the couch or out of the big chair in front of the TV that is the difficult part!

Once you're up and moving toward something interesting-- outside for a walk or to do some chores, the adrenaline will kick in.

Are you getting to sleep at your normal time, or is your schedule off on that end too?

Are you taking other medications?

This sleepiness will go away; don't worry.

Take care.

#5 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Thismoment. In reading other stories of withdrawals I do feel glad to have only this symptom. I have many interests and outdoor projects on the go and lately do 10 or 15 minutes and then take a rest. I sleep well at night and don't nap during the day. This drug is just a nightmare. I am being very patient with slow reductions but feel like it has me held prisoner. I wish it could be out of my system completely and yet I keep living with having to keep taking it.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi Sleepyhead ! (love that screen name!)

Give your body and brain permission to sleep / rest as much as they want ... please don't push yourself, and don't become frustrated with your pace / progress ... as TM said, if this is the worst of the symptoms you're having, you're really doing great!

I also had the tiredness ... first I had unbelievably bad insomnia (like our member Ramona is reporting), then I switched to unbelievable tiredness ... everything about me felt heavy, leaden, and I just had to sleep ... whole days spent pretty much sleeping ...

Are you working, or do you have other specific time commitments? If yes, and there's any flexibility to them, or you can take time off, give yourself permission to do so ... you deserve it ! :)

#7 Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thank you FiveNotions for your words of encouragement. I am lucky to be on holidays for several weeks now so really I could consider my main objective to be to use this time to heal. I so appreciate getting such positive feedback here so that I stop feeling badly and struggling with the fatigue and see it as part of the process. Knowing that you and others have experienced this and that it will eventually go away is very very positive!

Did your sleepiness come and go? Did it stay with you until you finished tapering completely? I've been 2 weeks of exactly as you described...heavy, sleepy etc.. I wish I had a crystal ball to know when it will lift. I suppose once this experience is over I can look back on it and see ups and downs in energy levels but right now it's very low.

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

that's wonderful, you've got some "down time" .... make the most of it ... by doing nothing that isn't essential ... and spoil yourself rotten ... be it bubble baths, scented candles, relaxing music, whatever ... :)

well, it's different for each person in terms of which symptoms we get, and how long they last ... but if I recall, the tiredness hit me like a ton of bricks right after the horrid insomnia faded ... I think I had a few days of "normal" (how "normal" can anything be when we're getting off crapalta ? :blink: ) sleep ... and then, wham ... exhaustion... I know for sure that at first I thought it was just a reaction to the insomnia, and that after a few days of "normal" sleep I'd feel better ... but nope ...

for me, the tired/heavy/leaden stuff lasted about 2 weeks ... and gradually faded ... which is how all my symptoms went ... just sort of faded ...

One thing that seems to hold pretty true is that the younger one is, the easier the process is, and the faster the symptoms arrive, and fade ... general health and physical condition (exercise, etc) also make a big difference ... as well as what other meds are being taken, and for what conditions ...

but the bottom line is this ... listen to you brain / body ... if you feel tired, rest / sleep ... and keep stress and unnecessary activity to a minimum ... parties, having company over, things like that are big energy drains ...

Are you taking the basic supplements? B complex, multi-vitamin, Omega 6, and chelated magnesium (be careful on that, it can cause anxiety in rare instances ... TFL found that out) ...

Every bit of the pain and suffering I experienced while getting off this poison (I had to quit cold turkey, lost my insurance) was worth it ... I feel more alive, happy, and healthy now than I did for the 7-8 years I was on the stuff ...

It will be the same for you, I am sure ! :D

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

Sleepyhead

It's a bit like walking a trail through the fog-- you focus on each step, and the visibility picks up when it picks up. You still have to finish tapering off, and time will be required to heal for some time thereafter. You can't jump into the future my dear-- just take it as it comes and keep busy with those things that give you peace.

I think you are approaching this intelligently, and you are doing very well. Stay strong and keep talking to us.

Take care.

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

"Walking a trail through the fog" ... that's a perfect description of how this whole process was ... and still is ... for me ... at almost 20 months out from quitting, I'm still amazed that every few weeks I feel like I've "woken up" a bit more... the fog continues to clear !

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

FN

Yes.

I only notice when something is gone, but I am unaware of the aspect of it leaving. Maybe that's part of the human condition-- there's a similar dynamic with the stash, the last beer, the bank account, and love.

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

FN and TM,

So well said - you have both put into words what I could not.  Thank You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users